Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Blythe

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Blythe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Congratulations to everyone on your 401k progress and 401k "comma" accomplishments. :moneybag Keep saving!

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am

Great job everyone!

Just did our end of month balance sheet -- we hit $500k in liquid investments (including our checking accounts and EF). Actually, we hit it last month but never added the retirement and non-retirement numbers together.

The city just re-assessed our home value up another $90k. But there is no way that's true. We decided not to add that additional amount to our balance sheet.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am
Great job everyone!

Just did our end of month balance sheet -- we hit $500k in liquid investments (including our checking accounts and EF). Actually, we hit it last month but never added the retirement and non-retirement numbers together.

The city just re-assessed our home value up another $90k. But there is no way that's true. We decided not to add that additional amount to our balance sheet.
wow I think in 30 years my parents house went up 90k LOL good old CT real estate... I hope this means my house was bought during a period of "lower valuations" and the slow death of the state ends soon

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:14 am

Snowjob wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 am
TwstdSista wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am
Great job everyone!

wow I think in 30 years my parents house went up 90k LOL good old CT real estate... I hope this means my house was bought during a period of "lower valuations" and the slow death of the state ends soon
My condo did not go up in value at all in over 15 years. At one point, it dropped over 50%.

kd2008

Post by kd2008 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:20 am

We crossed into the two-comma club for the first time with just our invested assets, not counting our home equity in two properties.

I feel nothing special, just a bit of relief that it happened eventually. We are at our baseline FI. Looking forward to our full FI.

JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am

Just passed 100k in investments at age 28, was a long road with serious financial roadblocks due to family issues that stopped any real savings from happening until around 24. While a lot of posting about 500k and 1 million I figured I would post my small accomplishment by comparison so all those lurkers out there like me who get sad seeing the large dollar amount milestones don’t get discouraged, you can do it just keep saving and stay the course.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am
Just passed 100k in investments at age 28, was a long road with serious financial roadblocks due to family issues that stopped any real savings from happening until around 24. While a lot of posting about 500k and 1 million I figured I would post my small accomplishment by comparison so all those lurkers out there like me who get sad seeing the large dollar amount milestones don’t get discouraged, you can do it just keep saving and stay the course.
Most on this forum wish they were in your shoes. Having time on your side is a valuable thing!!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 am

still at 1 comma. and 1 period.

KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
I didn't keep exact records back then, but from memory I was about where you are at right now around the same age too. After that I went through a rough patch, paid for my post graduate degree and living expenses out of pocket.. and was quite close to a $0 net worth a couple of years later. :oops:

Hang in there, you're doing great. Set goals and work towards them.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

kd2008 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:20 am
We crossed into the two-comma club for the first time with just our invested assets, not counting our home equity in two properties.

I feel nothing special, just a bit of relief that it happened eventually. We are at our baseline FI. Looking forward to our full FI.
Congratulations joining the 2 comma club :) .

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Congratulations. :) :) That is not a "small accomplishment", that is a huge accomplishment at age 28.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Congrats Joe ! this is no small accomplishment :sharebeer You are way ahead of others :moneybag

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
You did way better than me. I just passed 100k networth (savings + investment), but my age is 3 years elder than you. Considering myself being a new immigrate from a third world country and a low-income family, I did believe I'd accomplished something impressive. Don't compare with others. Stay the course, live below means, ignore noise, keep investment pace, and let's get prepared for celebrating next 100k milestones! :sharebeer
Time in market beats timing the market.