Thank You Bogleheads!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
sunkad

Thank You Bogleheads!

Post by sunkad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:40 am

Dear Folks

I started investing in 1998 just after finishing school. As an immigrant I did not know anything about investing in USA. I had a chance to glance over "money magazine" at my local library and in that "Vanguard diehards" a forum in Moringstar website was mentioned. I had no idea what Morningstar was or what Vanguard was. But the article was well written and so I visited the website. For the next month I read everything I could on the diehard forum and about index funds. This was the first time I had heard the term "index funds". My first investment was in Vanguard s&p 500 fund in May 1998. Over the years I have followed the discussion of diehards in "morning star" and then when it moved over to be an independent forum. Based on the valuable and sensible advice given in the forum of "Invest First and Spend Later" I learnt to live well within my means, no credit card debt, only buy used vehicles, buy a moderate house in a good school district and maximize my investments by investing monthly, maximized my 401K and Roth IRA. Two years after in 2000 the "Tech Meltdown" happened. However the advice and discussion in the forum made my realize that this is "not a Sprint but a Marathon" and so I invested a lot more during the downturn. My second biggest challenge came during the 2008 crisis and again this forum helped me to soothe my nerves and invested more during the downturn. "I hit my first million in March 2012" (The way I calculate my net worth is I do not include my house price, my kids 529 or my checking and savings account money. I only include my retirement and non retirement accounts and subtract my house loan amount- The only debt I have). I am really happy to say that I hit my second million Jan 3 2018. 14 years to reach the first million and only 6 years to reach my second (thanks to the power of compounding).

I would really like to thank all the great folks at this forum to really helping me all these years. I am not sure if I could accumulate whatever little I have accumulated without the wonderful advice of this group. As many people in this group I am also worried of protecting my gains based on the behavior of this market.

sunkad

Duckie

Re: Thank You Bogleheads!

Post by Duckie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 pm

sunkad, welcome to the forum.
sunkad wrote:I would really like to thank all the great folks at this forum to really helping me all these years. I am not sure if I could accumulate whatever little I have accumulated without the wonderful advice of this group.
We appreciate this.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Congratulations on your hard earned success.
And, welcome to the "double" 2 comma club. :sharebeer

Sometimes there are not enough success stories and it is great to hear them.
Onward to your next "million".

Thanks so much for posting. Keep updating.
mahalo,
j :D

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Congratulations, but your accounting method does not differentiate between purchasing a home and collecting a corresponding amount in $100 bills and burning them in the backyard.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Great story. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

JT

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Success stories like yours make all of our efforts over the past 20 years seem worthwhile. It's heady stuff to know that you had a positive impact on someone's life.

Now, hopefully you will pay it forward and keep the cycle going.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Great job! Onwards and upwards! Thanks for sharing!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 pm

sunkad wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:40 am
I would really like to thank all the great folks at this forum to really helping me all these years. I am not sure if I could accumulate whatever little I have accumulated without the wonderful advice of this group. As many people in this group I am also worried of protecting my gains based on the behavior of this market.
You exemplify reaching the American Dream which so many immigrants strive to do.

Bravo!
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 pm
Success stories like yours make all of our efforts over the past 20 years seem worthwhile. It's heady stuff to know that you had a positive impact on someone's life.
And I hope you realize the value of the many small successes too. For everybody that shares a life-changing story of how posters on this forum have led them to financial independence or wealth, there are hundreds of small questions that get asked every day and which receive high-quality, selflessly-given advice for free.

I myself have asked a bunch of inexpert questions and gotten a lot of fantastic advice which has helped steer me towards better choices. Over the long term, the effect of these will add up, but I am very thankful for each and every one of these little doses of help. Whether it be a review of asset allocation choice, an answer about tax-loss harvesting, or any of the other myriad questions which comes up, I am so much better prepared because of this forum. Still much to learn, but I am well accompanied on this journey. I am very appreciative of all this.
75:25 — HODL the course!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm

randomizer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 pm
And I hope you realize the value of the many small successes too. For everybody that shares a life-changing story of how posters on this forum have led them to financial independence or wealth, there are hundreds of small questions that get asked every day and which receive high-quality, selflessly-given advice for free.

I myself have asked a bunch of inexpert questions and gotten a lot of fantastic advice which has helped steer me towards better choices. Over the long term, the effect of these will add up, but I am very thankful for each and every one of these little doses of help. Whether it be a review of asset allocation choice, an answer about tax-loss harvesting, or any of the other myriad questions which comes up, I am so much better prepared because of this forum. Still much to learn, but I am well accompanied on this journey. I am very appreciative of all this.
So true. That's definitely what makes the Bogleheads Community so special -- generous members sharing their knowledge and experiences in order to help others with no expectation of financial gain.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi