To Avatar or Not - Get One? How did you choose?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Miriam2

Re: To Avatar or not to Avatar . . how did you choose or not choose?

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote: I've been fairly good at golf all my life except for SandTraps. It's always been the worse part of my game. But I still love golf. I saw this hunched over geezer online and it fit well. Bad back and all. Like myself, Clumsily hacking through life and enjoying it where I can find it. :D
I love your avatar Sandtrap - every time I see it I chuckle, it brightens my day :happy

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:09 pm

things are just a little opaque in my crystal ball
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Neat to read all these stories especially from long-time contributors.

I love Bouguereau's work (and any art that portrays men and women as dignified and beautiful). Veiling in art and even in life conveys an almost-primitive mystery, so it's always captivated my interest.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Veiled wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pm
Neat to read all these stories especially from long-time contributors.

I love Bouguereau's work (and any art that portrays men and women as dignified and beautiful). Veiling in art and even in life conveys an almost-primitive mystery, so it's always captivated my interest.
Absolutely beautiful!
J :D

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I have an avatar because, well, all the cool kids on the board do. And as cited already, it makes it easy to spot my own posts.

The "5" in my SN is the "1337"-ized "S". But for some reason, in choosing my avatar, I focused on the "5" as a number. GIS'd various images of it, and chose this one.

So not a great deal of thought put into it, nor was the case for my SN, as I use it on a couple of other boards. Which probably isn't a wise move in terms of anonymity preservation.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.

For image manipulation, I used my go-to general-purpose editing app, paint.net.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 pm

siamond wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm
Wildebeest wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm
Nobody loves you like your dog does. People with dogs live longer.

On the other hand, men with wives live longer than unattached males.

So what gives? It is what makes you happiest.
Are you saying what I think you're saying? If you read some of my posts, you know that I like to be data-driven. Please provide more backtesting data on the 3 implied scenarios... Just out of scientific curiosity? ;-)
I thought I was data driven till I figured out I like to be data driven by the data I like. I like dogs. May be I should say I love dogs and that may be an understatement. I do not like all dogs. However if you do an internet search you find almost anything to show that you live longer if you have dog (unless it is pitbull or German Sherperd and if even if the dog just killed their bunny, cat or worse, they state that dog is the best thing ever).

So if you google "people with dogs live longer" you get 47 million responses. If you wait 5 seconds and you google it again you get 105 million responses. I did not read them all but IF YOU FEED YOUR DOG "nobody loves you like your dog does" personal experience, and supersedes Google.

When you google "men with spouses live longer than single men" 982 k responses. So what gives clearly dogs are much more popular than spouses. I do love my wife a whole lot more than my dog. I have a great dog. He loves me.
Last edited by Wildebeest on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 pm
siamond wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm
Wildebeest wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm
Nobody loves you like your dog does. People with dogs live longer.

On the other hand, men with wives live longer than unattached males.

So what gives? It is what makes you happiest.
Are you saying what I think you're saying? If you read some of my posts, you know that I like to be data-driven. Please provide more backtesting data on the 3 implied scenarios... Just out of scientific curiosity? ;-)
I thought I was data driven till I figured out I like to be data driven by the data I like. I like dogs. May be I should say I love dogs and that may be an understatement. I do not like all dogs. However if you do an internet search you find almost anything to show that you live longer if you have dog (unless it is pitbull or German Sherperd and if even if the dog just killed their bunny, cat or worse, they state that dog is the best thing ever).

So if you google "people with dogs live longer" you get 47 million responses. If you wait 5 seconds and you google it again you get 105 million responses. I did not read them all but IF YOU FEED YOUR DOG "nobody loves you like your dog does".

When you google "men with spouses live longer than single men" 982 k responses. So what gives clearly dogs are much more popular than spouses. I do love my wife a whole lot more than my dog. I have a great dog. He loves me.
Men with cats live longer than men without cats. But, a high percentage of men will never admit to loving cats before dogs. (likely the "guy thing variable". 8-) )
Study Data: "Non-cat owners were 40 percent more likely to die of a heart attack and 30 percent more likely to die of another cardiovascular disease, including stroke, than people from cat families. People who owned dogs but no cats didn't enjoy the same benefit -- the research showed the heart attack discrepancy only in previous and current cat owners."

There is a wonderful avatar of a cat on a computer mouse. Not sure if there are others.

I was hesitant to have an avatar for fear of being instantly recognized for making a fool out of myself or having questionable input. With age, I've realized both are unavoidable. :oops:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm

HMS Vanguard!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:52 pm

I finally figured out how to resize my avatar, but is it too small? Anyway, Paris is my favorite city.....

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:56 pm

mfswatz9 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:52 pm
I finally figured out how to resize my avatar, but is it too small? Anyway, Paris is my favorite city.....
perfect :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

mfswatz9 wrote:
Not even the slightest question what this is!

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm
mfswatz9 wrote:

RM
I was thinking Vegas when I saw it. :happy

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm
mfswatz9 wrote:

RM
I was thinking Vegas when I saw it. :happy
Sad.

:wink:

RM

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm

FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm
That's the primary one. Other reasons are more nebulous.
Cute. :happy

I picked mine, the symbol of Green Lantern, because I like the character(s) and it is easy for me to find my posts if I want to look back.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:48 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm
FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm
That's the primary one. Other reasons are more nebulous.
Cute. :happy

I picked mine, the symbol of Green Lantern, because I like the character(s) and it is easy for me to find my posts if I want to look back.
At lst glance I always thought it was some kind of exclusive university fraternity symbol. . . really important and wise folks. :D

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 pm

I stole Christmas one year and then had a huge change of heart.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 pm
I stole Christmas one year and then had a huge change of heart.
just in time for the holidays :D

Optmst

Post by Optmst » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:24 am

The 1963 Ben Franklin half dollar pictured was just a few years before the end of honest money in the USA. Also, 90% silver coins (often mislabeled as "Junk" silver) is one of my favorite forms of investment in physical wealth. Just like real estate (and possibly Bitcoin eventually), they don't make it (money out of 90% silver) anymore.
I'm not as concerned about the return on my money as I am the return of my money. (Often attributed to Will Rogers)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 am

Optmst wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:24 am
The 1963 Ben Franklin half dollar pictured was just a few years before the end of honest money in the USA. Also, 90% silver coins (often mislabeled as "Junk" silver) is one of my favorite forms of investment in physical wealth. Just like real estate (and possibly Bitcoin eventually), they don't make it (money out of 90% silver) anymore.
I remember going through loose change looking for silver coins. You could tell by looking at the side. Silver dimes. Indian head pennies. Buffalo Nickels. Our family visited Las Vegas when they were giving out "half dollars" and "dollar coins" for gambling. I guess at each era nobody thinks that various coins will be phased out until they are on the way out and gone.

schuyler74

Re: To Avatar or Not - Get One? How did you choose?

Post by schuyler74 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Avatars should be mandatory. Without one, you aren't memorable. For example, which of the bullets below did you notice first? Almost every one of you immediately focused on #2 and recognized it before you even started reading anything else in this post. Same with avatars.
  1. M&Ms
  2. Image

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm

schuyler74 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 pm
Avatars should be mandatory. Without one, you aren't memorable. For example, which of the bullets below did you notice first? Almost every one of you immediately focused on #2 and recognized it before you even started reading anything else in this post. Same with avatars.
  1. M&Ms
  2. Image
Ease of formatting an avatar to fit the size and kb requirements are a hurdle as well as unfamiliarity with image hosting url parameters.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:24 pm

If anyone has a difficulty installing an avatar, please PM me. Site admins (and moderators) can install avatars and generally help members configure their profile.

BTW, I see that Sandtrap has discovered that emojis work in the profile's Location field.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm
Ease of formatting an avatar to fit the size and kb requirements are a hurdle as well as unfamiliarity with image hosting url parameters.
FYI -- If one isn't too picky, an easy way to find an avatar that fits the constraints is use Google Images and choose Icon-only sizes. All the results are 256x256 or smaller, and almost always square. For example, here's an Icon-only search link for "Ladygeek"; just change the search field to whatever you want (I'm not sure which is really her):

https://www.google.com/search?q=ladyge ... 817&dpr=1

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

^^^ That's how to do it, but I'm not in there. I made my own avatar with Adobe PhotoShop Elements 12.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:25 pm

It took me some time to decide what avatar to employ....but I finally chose a photo of the CMS detector installed at CERN's Large Hadron Collider. It was one of the detectors that confirmed the existence of the Higgs boson. This detector displays an eerie beauty to my eye.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:34 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm
^^^ That's how to do it, but I'm not in there. I made my own avatar with Adobe PhotoShop Elements 12.
I use several Canon 5d's cameras nearly every week but never connected the viewfinder display focus field with your avatar. As usual, the obvious eludes me. :shock:

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm

I built my Avatar myself (out of Zometools) and then photographed it.

It is not the usual convex Platonic solid with 12 pentagonal faces that usually comes to mind when you think of a dodecahedron.

Rather, it is a great dodecahedron, a nonconvex but beautifully regular solid whose faces can be viewed as 12 intersecting pentagons and whose convex hull is a regular (Platonic) icosahedron.

Actually building the object gave me a beautiful Aha! insight into it, realizing how this very elaborate structure was composed so simply, sort of like simple but efficient portfolios can be constructed.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:52 pm

schuyler74 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 pm
For example, here's an Icon-only search link for "Ladygeek"; just change the search field to whatever you want (I'm not sure which is really her):
https://www.google.com/search?q=ladyge ... 817&dpr=1
Yup, found her (I met Ladygeek at the Bogleheads conference a couple of years back, this is definitely her):

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 am

^^^ Don't tell anyone. :D
dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm
I built my Avatar myself (out of Zometools) and then photographed it.

It is not the usual convex Platonic solid with 12 pentagonal faces that usually comes to mind when you think of a dodecahedron.

Rather, it is a great dodecahedron, a nonconvex but beautifully regular solid whose faces can be viewed as 12 intersecting pentagons and whose convex hull is a regular (Platonic) icosahedron.

Actually building the object gave me a beautiful Aha! insight into it, realizing how this very elaborate structure was composed so simply, sort of like simple but efficient portfolios can be constructed.
The form's simplicity has a very elegant and powerful application from an engineering perspective. Mathematically, the dodecahedron is a Geodesic Dome. Buckminster Fuller made geodesic domes his life's work.

Take a look at what you can do with it: Geodesic dome - Wikipedia

In chemistry: Buckminsterfullerene

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am
My username often get shortened to PI (or some variation), hence the avatar.
Seasonal update :D
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am
My username often get shortened to PI (or some variation), hence the avatar.
Very cute!

RM

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote: My username often get shortened to PI (or some variation), hence the avatar.

I enjoy our Canadian friends in the Great White North! Do you know this cute fellow? Image

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm

It's not a tattoo. I added the self-portrait to bring some more depth to my presence.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

wornout

Post by wornout » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Because
Space Chimp Lives

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm

I just wanted to be able to find my own posts. This muppet isn't so clever, and I don't know so much, so seems like a good fit for me.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 pm

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm
It's not a tattoo. I added the self-portrait to bring some more depth to my presence.
An indeed it does.
Awesome!
j :D

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:16 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 pm
Do you know this cute fellow? Image
I most certainly do.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Abe

Post by Abe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I identify with the tortoise.
Slow and steady wins the race.