Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
rustymutt

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by rustymutt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 am

I'd like to meet the military vets, and shake all their hands. Letting them know how much their sacrifice means to me, personally.
Taylor jumps out for me, as my father also was a WII vet. Again, thanks to all our vets for their service. :sharebeer
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:11 am

Nectarineman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm
Who would you like to meet most for a cup of coffee other than Jack Bogle (I'm up for that!)

Mine are:

3) Toons- I like his advice and his avatar makes me think he enjoys life!
2) Taylor Larimore- I have learned volumes reading his posts and of course, books! 50+ years of investing experience gives credence to when he says "stay the course"
1) Livesoft- gives fantastic financial advice and seems very calm, cool and collected.

Honorable mention-Nisiprius. Great follow up and questions when posters chime in with statements they deem as facts. I find his devils advocate very illuminating at times. I also have an image of him posting with a pipe and smoking jacket! :D

Toons turned me on to VBIAX. Thanks Toons.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 am

There are many people here whose advice has helped me enormously. I'm better off (in all senses of this phrase) for their guidance. The one I'd like to meet in person, however, is Laura. She helped -- not me, but others -- with a degree of kindness and caring I find rare in this world, always focusing on those who were most disoriented and without their own resources outside the board.

I admired her posts and miss her contributions.

Of course, we need career members in foreign service to act as ambassadors, arguably now more than ever.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 am

Many of us are probably more boring in real life than we seem here.

;-)

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:16 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 am
Many of us are probably more boring in real life than we seem here.

;-)
Thanks for being you. 8-)

larjen42710

Post by larjen42710 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 pm

So many good, quality people on this forum with great advice. But, if forced to choose just one, it would be Taylor. I consider him to be a great American.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 pm
In real life, I do resemble my avatar. I am 58 years old. I guess Taylor would say I am just a kid.
I have not seen your picture, but your posts are congruent with your avatar. I have just read your comment in the medical expert thread about the need for curiosity. Only a truly curious person would write it.

Looking forward to meeting you in Philadelphia in 2018,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am

military vets & especially retirees

not for me, but for my kids (one in undergrad, another a similar path)
so I'd like to pick their brains to help my kids with how to maximize their financial lives while in the military

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:37 pm

^^^ Pass this around: Military finances, then have them join the forum and ask questions.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:34 pm

85 percent of us are AI bots impersonating humans before the machines rise up.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:36 pm

denovo wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:34 pm
Except for those of us that are just dogs.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:36 pm
denovo wrote:
...and the Russians.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:44 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
retiredjg wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm
It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar
This made me laugh.

Yes, it is normal to see an anonymous poster you respect as a super god/goddess when in fact....most of us are just plain ordinary people. Warts and all. :happy
Yep, I am pretty ordinary.
+1
Yep. Ditto. As low key as I can get. Newbie amongst wizards and savants. :D
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

TJSI

Post by TJSI » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm

CHAZ

Why: Short conversation

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm
livesoft wrote:
denovo wrote:
...and the Russians.

Victoria
The depressing thing is that the AI bots will probably do a better job than real humans.
A fool and his money are good for business.

ccf

Post by ccf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 pm

I get a lot out of Bogleheads and all of the regulars but I especially appreciate all of the regular posters who are 80 and up. I don't use Facebook and Twitter and Instagram skew young, so I feel like this is the only "social" place on the internet where I get to read regularly read thoughtful comments from people who have many more years of experience with this world under their belts. (I'm 40, so I feel older but still working on wiser)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 pm
My own list will inevitably leave some people out, so I apologize in advance for anyone I overlooked. These are not in order.

LadyGeek (She takes away the punch bowl before the partiers get too rowdy).
Triceratop (Thinks I make sense most of the time. What about the rest of the time?)
Mel Lindauer (Along with Taylor, an expert on insurance and annuities).
Taylor Larimore (Gracious, wise, a true gentleman)
VictoriaF (Her comedic talents are on display here as well as her stand-up routine).
Retiredjg (we have crossed paths many times helping people with questions)
Abuss368 (The bond and REITs guy).
Dbr
Nisiprius (I love those charts)
Lack_ey (Can explain the quant stuff even to my simple mind).
Beatthestreet
Larry Swedroe (Fought many times in the dividend threads)
Rick Ferri
Paul Merriman
Livesoft
Valuethinker (His essays on the forum are legendary).
Toons (I want to see those six shooters and that 'stash)
Garland Whizzer (Chief Investment Officer for Bogleheads)
meg77
Robert T
Stemikger (Can't talk him into International stocks).
SheepDog (I just love his avatar. Great posts on investing after retirement).
bjr89 (Investment pro. Honor to have interacted with him).
Trev H
Duckie (always gives excellent portfolio advice)
Itstoomuch (Frequently lurk together in Variable Annuity threads)
Siamond (great analyst, helped fill the void left by Larry Swedroe)
pkcrafter
EmergingDoc
neurosphere
stlutz
dodecahedron (Her recollections of her deceased husband are touching. "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places, That this heart of mine embraces, All Day Through).
ResearchMed
selftalk
Random Walker (Does all the Larry Swedroe threads now.)
HomerJ
norcalkenny
Packer16 (found in the Value threads. One of the "usual suspects.")
JoMoney (One of the "usual suspects.")
leeraar (Annoyingly more logical than Spock).
secret Asian man
Backpacker (Another one of the "usual suspects." Has come and gone and come back and gone again).
riptide
Bill Bernstein (A truly great thinker. His earlier work has held up great.)
Jack Bogle (A truly great and accomplished man. Explains things in a clear, understandable fashion).
Grok87 (Legendary for Grok's tips and for TIPS ladders).
Lynette (I added her because she said I was good looking. I have enjoyed her posts over the years).
grt2boutdoors
grabiner (one of the most knowledgeable posters here. Whatever he says, you just take it to the bank).
Sandtrap
Lev
Tomato Tomahto (let's call the whole thing off).
Klangfool
Raybo (love his photo albums of his bike travels).
Arcticpineapplecorp
Laura (one of the co-authors of the Boglehead's books. Real life diplomat with State Department).
Hi nedsaid -

Thanks! It is probably time to think up a good bond thread topic!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 pm

metacritic wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 am
There are many people here whose advice has helped me enormously. I'm better off (in all senses of this phrase) for their guidance. The one I'd like to meet in person, however, is Laura. She helped -- not me, but others -- with a degree of kindness and caring I find rare in this world, always focusing on those who were most disoriented and without their own resources outside the board.

I admired her posts and miss her contributions.

Of course, we need career members in foreign service to act as ambassadors, arguably now more than ever.
As you noted, Laura, the Queen of the Bogleheads, is currently serving as the US Ambassador to Nicaragua and, in that capacity, isn't allowed to post here.

However, Laura will be at the upcoming Bogleheads Conference, so everyone who's registered will be able to meet and chat with her. During the book-signing session, she'll be signing attendees' copies of The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning which she helped co-author.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 am

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi nedsaid -

Thanks! It is probably time to think up a good bond thread topic!
Well, somehow bonds don't wind me up like the Value threads and the Dividend threads. I have commented a lot on bonds, learned a lot from a family member's experience. Bonds are more complex instruments than people realize. I also learned a lot from my broker, I call him Broker #4, he started his career in a firm that specialized in High Yield instruments.

Edit: Those rebalancing threads can get a bit heated too. :wink:
A fool and his money are good for business.

Nords

Post by Nords » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm

ncbill wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am
military vets & especially retirees

not for me, but for my kids (one in undergrad, another a similar path)
so I'd like to pick their brains to help my kids with how to maximize their financial lives while in the military
If your kids don't want to post here then they (and you) are also welcome to contact me with questions. I get a lot of military personal finance queries from teens & young adults. If they get out to Oahu for summer training then we can go surfing.

Better yet, if they want to talk with someone in their generation then I can put them in touch with my daughter and son-in-law. They're both three years into their active-duty careers, one through ROTC and the other through a service academy. One appears likely to continue on active duty after their five years and the other one may be counting the minutes until they can affiliate with a Reserve unit.
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.

digarei

Post by digarei » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:29 pm

AlohaJoe

for an hour ... in Saigon, Mumbai, Honolulu or San Francisco.

I’m quite sure that I would consider the time well spent.

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 am

Taylor Larimore and it's not even close (no offense to the many other interesting BHs). He's kind, smart, and helpful.... and really has a great outlook on life. I like a lot of his views and just the way he sees things. We've DM'd a few times and he's just a really interesting guy beyond the stuff he posts publicly. I actually recently bought a DVD bc he told me about one that he was in... but then realized that I have nothing to play it on so I still haven't watched it.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 am

Taylor Larimore,

I would like to thank him for everything that I have learned from him and also for how polite and patient he is with members of this community.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:05 am

I'd enjoy meeting them all, so many points for interesting and enlightening discussion.

I admit to wondering whether the guy with the Lemonhead avatar actually has an extremely pointy nose.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

10YearPlan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm
Meg77 and VictoriaF and a few other LadyBogles whose screen names I cannot recall off the top of my head. Nothing against the guys, and there are many I'd like to thank / meet, but I find women who are outspoken, can speak finance, who have their act together, etc. very inspirational. And a bit rare on this board.
Or you're just assuming that some other posters are men. These days, even someone talking about their wife/husband does not mean that the poster is male/female, and sex/gender indicators seem to rarely come up in other contexts.

But yes, the LadyBogles are awesome. No matter the true scope of their numbers.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

livesoft wrote:
denovo wrote:
Especially "Sheepdog " :D

{the list so far is impressive, although I'm not a fan of munchkin man at all..
Wouldn't mind meeting livesoft over the pond, but I preferred Dublin to London... and I've even heard that there are many ways there :D
SSCritic, although at times caustic, is certainly missed}

azanon

Post by azanon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Nisiprius - the quality of his posts are simply outstanding. I even enjoy the rare post of his that I disagree with.

Bill Bernstein - The "why" should mostly go without saying. Cause he's "THE" Bill Bernstein? Well, of all of the various finance books I've read, I generally have enjoyed his the most, despite occasionally not understanding them sometimes.

Longinvest - Why? Variable Percentage Withdrawal. Thank you so much for that. I am so thankful for your work on that very useful item.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:00 pm

azanon wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Nisiprius - the quality of his posts are simply outstanding. I even enjoy the rare post of his that I disagree with.

Bill Bernstein - The "why" should mostly go without saying. Cause he's "THE" Bill Bernstein? Well, of all of the various finance books I've read, I generally have enjoyed his the most, despite occasionally not understanding them sometimes.

Longinvest - Why? Variable Percentage Withdrawal. Thank you so much for that. I am so thankful for your work on that very useful item.

I am so glad that you've acknowledged Longinvest! The efforts he's put into the development of the VPW tool, making it user-friendly, and describing it in the Forum discussions are outstanding.

Victoria

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:27 pm

azanon wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm

If you're ever able to grab one of the coveted reservations to a Bogleheads Conference, you'd get to meet and chat with Bill.

When I introduce Bill at the various Conference functions, I always say that he's one of the smartest persons I've ever known.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

g$$

Post by g$$ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Nobody mentioned market timer? I loved that thread.

A different approach to asset allocation.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:50 pm

g$$ wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:33 pm
Nobody mentioned market timer? I loved that thread.

A different approach to asset allocation.
Definitely. I would love to split an order of pumpkin pancakes and hear about his wild and wooly adventuresome youth!

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:11 am
Nectarineman wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm
Who would you like to meet most for a cup of coffee other than Jack Bogle (I'm up for that!)

Mine are:

3) Toons- I like his advice and his avatar makes me think he enjoys life!
2) Taylor Larimore- I have learned volumes reading his posts and of course, books! 50+ years of investing experience gives credence to when he says "stay the course"
1) Livesoft- gives fantastic financial advice and seems very calm, cool and collected.

Honorable mention-Nisiprius. Great follow up and questions when posters chime in with statements they deem as facts. I find his devils advocate very illuminating at times. I also have an image of him posting with a pipe and smoking jacket! :D
Toons turned me on to VBIAX. Thanks Toons.
:sharebeer :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
Yep, I am pretty ordinary.
Me too. :D
Same.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 pm

whatusername? wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am
10YearPlan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm
Meg77 and VictoriaF and a few other LadyBogles whose screen names I cannot recall off the top of my head. Nothing against the guys, and there are many I'd like to thank / meet, but I find women who are outspoken, can speak finance, who have their act together, etc. very inspirational. And a bit rare on this board.
Or you're just assuming that some other posters are men. These days, even someone talking about their wife/husband does not mean that the poster is male/female, and sex/gender indicators seem to rarely come up in other contexts.

But yes, the LadyBogles are awesome. No matter the true scope of their numbers.
Add retiredjg to the list......quite knowledgeble and helpful.

Duckie is another poster who is very helpful to new posters, our posts have crossed many a time when new posters come on board looking for assistance.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bestplans

Post by bestplans » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am

I especially appreciate the posters who clearly have far more capability than myself to employ sophisticated tilting, trading, and hedging strategies but have convinced me (without being condescending) that I can fare just as well on a risk adjusted basis by keeping things simple. Taylor and Nisiprius stand out in this regard, but of course there are others. Additional mention to bsteiner (a person I would not hesitate to "hire" for his legal expertise) and coacher (he posts rarely but has been extremely generous with valuable "offline" advice).