Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am

Taylor Larimore
Larry Swedroe
RetiredJG
Watty
Toons
Abuss368
David Jay
Dbr
Dratkinson
Nisiprius
BSsteiner
KlangFool
And many more.

For maturity, wisdom, broad outlook/perspective, altruistic fact based actionable input.
Thanks.
Not a financial expert - just a retired businessman hacking out of a sand trap -- again.

Tanelorn
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Tanelorn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 am
sscritic is alive and well. We had lunch together a little while ago.
Sorry for the confusion. In his case, I meant he was no longer with us here at Bogleheads, not to imply he had died like the others.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17399
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 am
I am honored to have met many Bogleheads at annual meetings and DC metro Bogleheads events. The ones I have not met but would like to include:
- Mudpuppy - one of my most trusted cyber security sources
- retiredjg - one of the wisest and most helpful Bogleheads
- 2015 - we have similar approaches to life, and I'd like to learn more about his projects
I must add:
- stoptothink - provides excellent health-related comments, within the Forum policies, and has an admirable lifestyle
- TomatoTomahto - a great guy based on his posts
- Raybo - my retirement role model
- kramer - my retirement and global living role model

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 16941
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am
Taylor Larimore
Larry Swedroe
RetiredJG
Watty
Toons
Abuss368
David Jay
Dbr
Dratkinson
Nisiprius
BSsteiner
KlangFool
And many more.

For maturity, wisdom, broad outlook/perspective, altruistic fact based actionable input.
Thanks.

^^ Like I said, everyone, because while I can't remember everyone's screen name, after reading their input, I know it would be interesting to talk to them in person.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Toons » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am

Garland Whizzer.
Intelligent,Thoughtful :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Toons » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks All,
If you are EVER in the Tri Cities area of Tn.
send me a message,,,,
Coffee On Me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Mcdonalds :happy )
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Toons wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am
Garland Whizzer.
Intelligent,Thoughtful :happy
+1
Not a financial expert - just a retired businessman hacking out of a sand trap -- again.

an_asker
Posts: 1790
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm
[...]
I'm happy to buy anyone breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.[...]
How far do I have to drive to get this free lunch? ;-)

an_asker
Posts: 1790
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Toons wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am
Thanks All,
If you are EVER in the Tri Cities area of Tn.
send me a message,,,,
Coffee On Me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Mcdonalds :happy )
Which are the tri-cities of TN?

livesoft
Posts: 56369
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm
livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm
[...]
I'm happy to buy anyone breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.[...]
How far do I have to drive to get this free lunch? ;-)
No worries, I'll come to you.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Minot
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Minot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm
Toons wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am
Thanks All,
If you are EVER in the Tri Cities area of Tn.
send me a message,,,,
Coffee On Me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Mcdonalds :happy )
Which are the tri-cities of TN?
Google is your friend.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Toons » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm
Toons wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am
Thanks All,
If you are EVER in the Tri Cities area of Tn.
send me a message,,,,
Coffee On Me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Mcdonalds :happy )
Which are the tri-cities of TN?
Johnson City ,Bristol,Kingsport :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5085
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:44 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm
an_asker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm
livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm
[...]
I'm happy to buy anyone breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.[...]
How far do I have to drive to get this free lunch? ;-)
No worries, I'll come to you.
In that case, Livesoft is welcome to come to my little town and buy me breakfast, lunch or dinner. :)

jginseattle
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by jginseattle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Many good suggestions above. I would add Robert T. If he has already been mentioned, I must have missed it.

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by pondering » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 am

Here is the list so far:

2015
AlohaJoe
avalpert
BSteiner
celia
John Bogle
KlangFool
lack_ey
Ladygeek
Larry Swedroe
Lev
LH2004 (died)
Livesoft
meg77
Mel Lindauer
mingstar
mlebuf
Mudpuppy
Munchkin Man
nedsaid
Nisiprius
Old Meph (died)
Petrocelli
retiredjg
Robert T
sscritic
SheepDog
Stemikger
Taylor Larimore
Toons
Valuethinker
VictoriaF
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by jhfenton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 am

That's a good list. :beer There are a lot of folks on here I would love to meet.

User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 27356
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 am

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 am
That's a good list. :beer There are a lot of folks on here I would love to meet.
The best way to meet a couple hundred of them (and Jack Bogle as a bonus) is to attend one of the annual Bogleheads Conferences.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by pondering » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:56 am

It would be nice to have either a one day pass or a venue that would accommodate more people.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

SGM
Posts: 2366
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by SGM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 am

I have been fortunate to meet many BHs at the Philadelphia national meetings and at local meetings. There are a lot of friendly, intelligent, and good humored BHs out there.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by jhfenton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 am
jhfenton wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 am
That's a good list. :beer There are a lot of folks on here I would love to meet.
The best way to meet a couple hundred of them (and Jack Bogle as a bonus) is to attend one of the annual Bogleheads Conferences.
It's on my to-do list. :beer But it's a hard ticket to come by!

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4496
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by stemikger » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am
Stemikger - we can talk about the Balanced index fund and the High Line
LOL. Any time Brother!! :beer
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by bobcat2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 am

I would like to meet Murray Boyd. Murray appears to be both thoughtful and inquisitive, and to have a good sense of humor. These are attributes I hope I have, but I'm not sure I do to the degree I would like. Plus, I think Murray lives in a cool city I have never visited.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5085
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by HueyLD » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 am

I met LadyGeek at a BH reunion. I thought she would be kind of scary due to her moderating activities, but she was absolutely delightful, interesting and friendly.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17399
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:46 pm

pondering wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 am
Here is the list so far:

2015
AlohaJoe
avalpert
BSteiner
celia
John Bogle
KlangFool
lack_ey
Ladygeek
Larry Swedroe
Lev
LH2004 (died)
Livesoft
meg77
Mel Lindauer
mingstar
mlebuf
Mudpuppy
Munchkin Man
nedsaid
Nisiprius
Old Meph (died)
Petrocelli
retiredjg
Robert T
sscritic
SheepDog
Stemikger
Taylor Larimore
Toons
Valuethinker
VictoriaF
Thank you for compiling the list. When you have a chance please add my additional nominations:
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am
- stoptothink - provides excellent health-related comments, within the Forum policies, and has an admirable lifestyle
- TomatoTomahto - a great guy based on his posts
- Raybo - my retirement role model
- kramer - my retirement and global living role model
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 17399
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 am
I met LadyGeek at a BH reunion. I thought she would be kind of scary due to her moderating activities, but she was absolutely delightful, interesting and friendly.
I very much agree. I have not mentioned LadyGeek in my list, because I have already met her.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
camper
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: My side of the mountain

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by camper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 am

Trev H
Check out post titled Ultimate Buy and Hold - 8 slices vs 4
My goal: "One day I might wake up and decide to call in "rich"!" :D ~posted by bhsince87

Dude2
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Dude2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 am

I say Nisiprius because of his talents in getting to the crux of a matter without needing to step on anybody's toes.

Picture a bunch of students working together to try to solve a problem. Left to their own devices, they hem and haw, agree and disagree, and can often come up with the wrong approach and the wrong answer. The professor comes in, checks their work, and with only a few words points them back onto the right path. I've seen Nisi rescue threads like that for years.

There are some bond bubble topics that I think are his finest work. He doesn't make it an argument contradicting the premises that bonds can do poorly or try to get into a knife fight with folks that would not be caught dead ever buying a bond; rather, he takes what are the most alarmist positions and scales them back to reality. Ok, if you say bonds are going to be massacred, let me show you what a bond massacre looks like from examining this past data -- see, that wasn't so bad at all, was it -- more like a bond haircut, right?

I rely on him to reduce the terms and break the conversation down to the lowest common denominator -- what matters (or doesn't) for me in my life. Plus, he is somehow able to do this in a positive and friendly way.

If I met him, I would say thank you for all the hard work.

peppers
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by peppers » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:23 am

sscritic

We could talk about our grandchildren and Chinese soap operas over a plate of lo mein.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4498
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am

Someday I would like to meet myself. I have heard I am funny and witty and I think I would enjoy my company.
Run, You Clever Boy!

TheHouse7
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by TheHouse7 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 pm

KlangFool & VictoriaF, both have expanded my world view in ways I never thought possible. :happy
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

User avatar
sergeant
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by sergeant » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 am
sscritic is alive and well. We had lunch together a little while ago.
Ask him to come back! Part time is good enough.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 3440
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by triceratop » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:16 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am
Someday I would like to meet myself. I have heard I am funny and witty and I think I would enjoy my company.
Perhaps in a parallel universe, TheTimeLord.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

qwertyjazz
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by qwertyjazz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am
Someday I would like to meet myself. I have heard I am funny and witty and I think I would enjoy my company.
I believe you chose the correct name then
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_mu ... or_stories
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8492
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm

It was nice to see that I was listed twice. So perhaps I should make it a goal to attend 2018 Bogleheads in Philadelphia. The trip itself won't be too expensive. It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar!

All kidding aside, it is an honor to be listed by a couple of posters.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8492
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am
Someday I would like to meet myself. I have heard I am funny and witty and I think I would enjoy my company.
Sometimes I feel the same way. Every once in a while, I will go back and read my old posts. I look at that and wonder, who wrote that? Not bad!
A fool and his money are good for business.

Lynette
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Lynette » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm
It was nice to see that I was listed twice. So perhaps I should make it a goal to attend 2018 Bogleheads in Philadelphia. The trip itself won't be too expensive. It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar!

All kidding aside, it is an honor to be listed by a couple of posters.
:D :D
Then you would likely be the best looking guy there. Most attendees were rather ordinary looking and some of us are old ...

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8492
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 pm

My own list will inevitably leave some people out, so I apologize in advance for anyone I overlooked. These are not in order.

LadyGeek (She takes away the punch bowl before the partiers get too rowdy).
Triceratop (Thinks I make sense most of the time. What about the rest of the time?)
Mel Lindauer (Along with Taylor, an expert on insurance and annuities).
Taylor Larimore (Gracious, wise, a true gentleman)
VictoriaF (Her comedic talents are on display here as well as her stand-up routine).
Retiredjg (we have crossed paths many times helping people with questions)
Abuss368 (The bond and REITs guy).
Dbr
Nisiprius (I love those charts)
Lack_ey (Can explain the quant stuff even to my simple mind).
Beatthestreet
Larry Swedroe (Fought many times in the dividend threads)
Rick Ferri
Paul Merriman
Livesoft
Valuethinker (His essays on the forum are legendary).
Toons (I want to see those six shooters and that 'stash)
Garland Whizzer (Chief Investment Officer for Bogleheads)
meg77
Robert T
Stemikger (Can't talk him into International stocks).
SheepDog (I just love his avatar. Great posts on investing after retirement).
bjr89 (Investment pro. Honor to have interacted with him).
Trev H
Duckie (always gives excellent portfolio advice)
Itstoomuch (Frequently lurk together in Variable Annuity threads)
Siamond (great analyst, helped fill the void left by Larry Swedroe)
pkcrafter
EmergingDoc
neurosphere
stlutz
dodecahedron (Her recollections of her deceased husband are touching. "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places, That this heart of mine embraces, All Day Through).
ResearchMed
selftalk
Random Walker (Does all the Larry Swedroe threads now.)
HomerJ
norcalkenny
Packer16 (found in the Value threads. One of the "usual suspects.")
JoMoney (One of the "usual suspects.")
leeraar (Annoyingly more logical than Spock).
secret Asian man
Backpacker (Another one of the "usual suspects." Has come and gone and come back and gone again).
riptide
Bill Bernstein (A truly great thinker. His earlier work has held up great.)
Jack Bogle (A truly great and accomplished man. Explains things in a clear, understandable fashion).
Grok87 (Legendary for Grok's tips and for TIPS ladders).
Lynette (I added her because she said I was good looking. I have enjoyed her posts over the years).
grt2boutdoors
grabiner (one of the most knowledgeable posters here. Whatever he says, you just take it to the bank).
Sandtrap
Lev
Tomato Tomahto (let's call the whole thing off).
Klangfool
Raybo (love his photo albums of his bike travels).
Arcticpineapplecorp
Laura (one of the co-authors of the Boglehead's books. Real life diplomat with State Department).
Last edited by nedsaid on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8492
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm
It was nice to see that I was listed twice. So perhaps I should make it a goal to attend 2018 Bogleheads in Philadelphia. The trip itself won't be too expensive. It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar!

All kidding aside, it is an honor to be listed by a couple of posters.
:D :D
Then you would likely be the best looking guy there. Most attendees were rather ordinary looking and some of us are old ...
In real life, I do resemble my avatar. I am 58 years old. I guess Taylor would say I am just a kid.
A fool and his money are good for business.

retiredjg
Posts: 30325
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by retiredjg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm
It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar
This made me laugh.

Yes, it is normal to see an anonymous poster you respect as a super god/goddess when in fact....most of us are just plain ordinary people. Warts and all. :happy

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8492
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by nedsaid » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm
It is all those other costs that are just killers. Getting a hairpiece, getting it all tuned up and styled, botox, losing 15-20 pounds, a years' worth of beauty treatments, getting more stylish clothes and a nice watch. Oh man, the wardrobe itself is a lot!! Probably need to hire a personal trainer. Probably an image consultant and a life coach. Then probably some finishing school so that there are no social gaffes, holding my cup of tea with my pinkie held out just so. I don't know, it just seems so much easier to be an anonymous avatar
This made me laugh.

Yes, it is normal to see an anonymous poster you respect as a super god/goddess when in fact....most of us are just plain ordinary people. Warts and all. :happy
Yep, I am pretty ordinary.
A fool and his money are good for business.

retiredjg
Posts: 30325
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by retiredjg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
Yep, I am pretty ordinary.
Me too. :D

Volkdancer
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Volkdancer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm

I would like to go fishing with Siamond. Some good metaphors in re investing and withdrawal rates.

Karl V

Traveller
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Traveller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Interesting question and thread. I'd like to meet MANY of you!

The ones that jumped to the top of mind are:

VictoriaF - I find your perspective intriguing, your passion for life contagious, and your experiences fascinating.

Livesoft - Man, you say what I think (but do it in far less words)

MunchkinMan - I will come to you and buy the drinks...

JackFFR - Lets talk cars. Especially the factory five project I am about to restart.

Taylor - your insight, knowledge, willingness to help so many, your service to our countty and this community, and our shared love of sailing.

Plus many, many more.

fishandgolf
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Articpinapplecorp.....I would like to me this person...............

I have a great respect for his detailed knowledge. I have read a number of his posts and his detailed replies make a seemingly difficult subject much easier to understand........... :sharebeer

10YearPlan
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by 10YearPlan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Meg77 and VictoriaF and a few other LadyBogles whose screen names I cannot recall off the top of my head. Nothing against the guys, and there are many I'd like to thank / meet, but I find women who are outspoken, can speak finance, who have their act together, etc. very inspirational. And a bit rare on this board.

Yukon
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Yukon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Kramer - Early retirement and living overseas. Envious!
Raybo - Biking adventures!
Don't Work Forever.

User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 6589
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am
Someday I would like to meet myself. I have heard I am funny and witty and I think I would enjoy my company.
If I ever met myself I'd probably beat me up.
PJW

angelescrest
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: The Third Coast

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by angelescrest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 am

10YearPlan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm
Meg77 and VictoriaF and a few other LadyBogles whose screen names I cannot recall off the top of my head. Nothing against the guys, and there are many I'd like to thank / meet, but I find women who are outspoken, can speak finance, who have their act together, etc. very inspirational. And a bit rare on this board.
I would agree, plus there’s no ego in their posts. I’d add englishgirl to the list if only because I like her username.

Top of my list though is Taylor, then VictoriaF. If I ever meet him I envision it like arriving at the top of Mount Boglehead to speak to the wise sage. He hands me a piece of paper with three funds written on them... :happy

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 40374
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 am

^^^ :D
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

beardsworth
Posts: 1938
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by beardsworth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am

angelescrest wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 am
Top of my list though is Taylor . . . If I ever meet him I envision it like arriving at the top of Mount Boglehead to speak to the wise sage. He hands me a piece of paper with three funds written on them... :happy
Yes, but as a regular reader of this forum, you already know which three funds they'll be. :)

Post Reply