Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Nectarineman

Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by Nectarineman »

Who would you like to meet most for a cup of coffee other than Jack Bogle (I'm up for that!)

Mine are:

3) Toons- I like his advice and his avatar makes me think he enjoys life!
2) Taylor Larimore- I have learned volumes reading his posts and of course, books! 50+ years of investing experience gives credence to when he says "stay the course"
1) Livesoft- gives fantastic financial advice and seems very calm, cool and collected.

Honorable mention-Nisiprius. Great follow up and questions when posters chime in with statements they deem as facts. I find his devils advocate very illuminating at times. I also have an image of him posting with a pipe and smoking jacket! :D
Last edited by Nectarineman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Bogleheads you most would like to meet and why?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Any discussion can be done here, why you have to meet a person in person?
Topic Author
Nectarineman

Post by Nectarineman »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 pm Any discussion can be done here, why you have to meet a person in person?
For the same reason Dorothy pulled the curtain back on the wizard!

Actually, I post this because I have particularly enjoyed their posts and because they resonate with me. A chat over coffee would likely yield some interesting life lessons as well. Just having fun here. :sharebeer
SVT

Re: Bogleheads you would most like to meet and why?

Post by SVT »

livesoft for me. Hands down.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Victoria F

Her philosophy of lifestyle design and retirement living is profoundly interesting. Love her posts and zest for life.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Munchkin Man -- hands down.

Edit: I'd like to ask him why he quit posting. Of course the conversation might be a trifle one-sided.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Topic Author
Nectarineman

Post by Nectarineman »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm Munchkin Man -- hands down.
There would only be two people having coffee, but three people talking. :D
Driver

Post by Driver »

Nectarineman wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 pm
Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm Munchkin Man -- hands down.
There would only be two people having coffee, but three people talking. :D
haha
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

How has Valuethinker not been mentioned? That would be a fascinating conversation.

Anyway, livesoft still needs to buy me breakfast. And not oatmeal.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Driver

Post by Driver »

Nectarineman wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm Who would you like to meet most for a cup of coffee other than Jack Bogle (I'm up for that!)

Mine are:

2) Taylor Larimore- I have learned volumes reading his posts and of course, books! 50+ years of investing experience gives credence to when he says "stay the course"
1) Livesoft- gives fantastic financial advice and seems very calm, cool and collected.

Honorable mention-Nisiprius. Great follow up and questions when posters chime in with statements they deem as facts. I find his devils advocate very illuminating at times. I also have an image of him posting with a pipe and smoking jacket! :D
All of the above plus retiredjg, ValueThinker, sscritic, AlohaJoe, Robert T. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There are many more.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

triceratop wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 pm Anyway, livesoft still needs to buy me breakfast. And not oatmeal.
I'm happy to buy anyone breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. I have met in person quite a few people who post on the forum and have always enjoyed it tremendously.

And I don't quite know what to say to folks except thanks and perhaps prepare to be disappointed.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm
triceratop wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 pm Anyway, livesoft still needs to buy me breakfast. And not oatmeal.
I'm happy to buy anyone breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. I have met in person quite a few people who post on the forum and have always enjoyed it tremendously.
Is this because you don't like oatmeal cooked in Pepsi? ;)
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

livesoft because he cracks jokes and I think it would be fun to hear his stories.
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

I am sure I'd enjoy a conversation with Valuethinker.
Rolyatroba

Post by Rolyatroba »

For heart: Livesoft

For soul: VictoriaF

For mind: Nisiprius

For body: TBD :-)
csm

Post by csm »

Taylor Larimore - really enjoy and appreciate the wisdom of his posts, but more than that, he sounds like an incredibly interesting person and one who is genuinely nice, he seems to live life to the fullest, and comes across as truly respectful of others

Many others as well, including livesoft but he seems to be in demand :happy
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

As an IT guy, I'd vote for Ladygeek. I always like the people who keep the infrastructure running. I'm also grateful to our moderators. Have you seen some of the other (less effectively moderated) message boards out there?
J295

Post by J295 »

Lev .... doesn't seem to post often on threads I read, but the Lev posts display wisdom beyond financial.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

csm wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 am Taylor Larimore - really enjoy and appreciate the wisdom of his posts, but more than that, he sounds like an incredibly interesting person and one who is genuinely nice, he seems to live life to the fullest, and comes across as truly respectful of others
Could not have said it better myself, except to add the little matter of high regard for our veterans. :beer

My other choices would be Nisiprius (always enjoy his insights) and LadyGeek (for IT).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I enjoy lack_ey along with all of the prior mentions. lack_ey always has an insight I never thought about before.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Mel Lindauer - Mel ran a graphic arts company in the Philadelphia area for 30 years. I'm grew up outside Philly & spent 28 years in graphic arts as well.

Taylor Larimore - Taylor's service in WWII (My Dad was in Pacific) & his long impressive career in Finance & Investments.

Both are my Florida neighbors. Both have given so much back to all of us with their knowledge & goodwill. The creation of The Bogleheads has helped me immensely!

There are many on this forum that deserve mention. Missing just one would be cruel. These two good fellows stand out to me, & I've found I value their post's with much weight.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Toons. Short and simple answers that go a long way.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

ccieemeritus wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:07 am As an IT guy, I'd vote for Ladygeek. I always like the people who keep the infrastructure running. I'm also grateful to our moderators. Have you seen some of the other (less effectively moderated) message boards out there?
You should then include mingstar in that list, he's the major player behind the scenes on the infrastructure side of things.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
book lover

Post by book lover »

Nisiprius. Amazing mind.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Interesting question, but not sure I know a specific individual. It would definitely be someone who demonstrates system thinking in their answers and does not obfuscate their answers with irrelevant minutiae. They would also have the ability to read statements in context and answer the questions that were asked, instead of pontificating on generalities or unrelated details. The person who comes to mind after writing this is Toons.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

Off the top of my head I would say:

Taylor Larimore because he sums it up with no fluff - gets to the point and has vast experience and he also learned from J. Bogle which helps all of us.
Stemikger because he spent a lot of time and effort to gain his experience for himself and to help others. He seems to try very hard and passes his knowledge off to us.
nedsaid because he puts his heart into explaining so much that he has learned.
Larry Swedroe because he unselfishly devotes some of his time away from his financial business to help us.
All four answer the private questions which really helps me a lot. There are others but these people come to mind readily.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I would love to go to the local coffee shop with these guys. You would learn a lot and it would be fun. What a group.
Munchkin Man
Toons
Nisiprius
Taylor Larimore
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer because they are the main persons responsible for the early founding of the Vanguard Diehards at Morningstar, the predecessor to the Bogleheads...a duo who have positively affected my retirement the most. I would love to shake their hands and may even give them a manly hug. (Why haven't I attended a Boglehead convention to do just that?)
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

All those mentioned above plus celia and KlangFool.

Actually would like to meet you all.
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

Fun topic :-)

Since she hasn't been mentioned yet, meg77. We're both women and (I think) in somewhat similar stages of life, and I'd be interested in having a chat about real estate investing :sharebeer
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In addition to some others listed avalpert is another I wouldn't mind chewing the fat with over coffee. He would probably find this surprising since I seemingly have disagreed with him on some points (regarding credit-card spending habits and the ever-on-going rent-versus-ownership home debates) but his background in behavioral finance provides a great perspective - would love to pick his brain a bit more on various topics.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

you mean besides the original Boglehead, (aka Jack)?

Taylor would be my choice -- I'd love to sit on a sail boat for a few hours and just visit and learn from his experiences.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I am too shy to meet anyone in person.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I'm surprised that no one (unless I missed it) suggested Petro or at least his watch.
:)
Bob
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

CABob wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm I'm surprised that no one (unless I missed it) suggested Petro or at least his watch.
:)
Yes, I want to meet his watch.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Here is my short list.

Taylor Larimore - Because he is almost identical (sans international) to Mr. Bogle's investment advice and giving spirit.

Nisprius - Because his fountain of knowledge fascinates me and I've learned a lot from him.

Toons - Because he is always so encouraging and positive

Having said all that, of course I would love to meet St. Jack himself.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Experts no longer with us:

Old Meph - insurance
sscritic - social security
LH2004 - taxes
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Taylor - for that hearty smile and the warm hug I get :-)
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

mlebuf - Loved his books and introduced me to the concept of entrepreneurial pursuits outside of main career and retiring early.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Pacman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 am mlebuf - Loved his books and introduced me to the concept of entrepreneurial pursuits outside of main career and retiring early.
Yep. Taylor and I were fortunate to have Michael as a co-author on our first book, The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. He's a really interesting guy with lots of tales, both serious and funny.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 pm

And I don't quite know what to say to folks except thanks and perhaps prepare to be disappointed.
livesoft,

I owed both you and triceratop a meal: breakfast, lunch, or dinner for the amount of tax that I saved in my taxable account if we ever meet up.

Thanks again.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Toons

Post by Toons »

Nectarineman wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm Who would you like to meet most for a cup of coffee other than Jack Bogle (I'm up for that!)

Mine are:

Thanks Kindly Nectamarine Man :happy ,
Everyday Is A Holiday,,,Every Meal Is A Banquet :sharebeer :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Tanelorn wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 am Experts no longer with us:

Old Meph - insurance
LH2004 - taxes
Sad. I didn't know sscritic had passed. In addition to SS, lots of good info on HSAs and AMT as well.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

John Bogle
ValueThinker - plenty of things to talk about including Black Gold....
Livesoft
Nisprius
VictoriaF
LadyGeek
SheepDog - we can talk about driveways :wink:
sscritic - he may have retired but one can always hope.
TaylorLarimore
Larry Swedroe
Petrocelli - he can compare his $5,000 watch to my cheap $25 Casio I've owned for 25 years (and it still works!)
KlangFool - we can argue about savings rates and 529 plans.
NedSaid
BSteiner
Stemikger - we can talk about the Balanced index fund and the High Line

Too many others to list.....so instead of thinking I've left anyone off the list, everyone - but then we'd need a convention center for that.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

mervinj7 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am
Tanelorn wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 am Experts no longer with us:

Old Meph - insurance
LH2004 - taxes
Sad. I didn't know sscritic had passed. In addition to SS, lots of good info on HSAs and AMT as well.
I did not hear that, I heard he retired from the forum. I heard last he was enjoying retirement.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sscritic is alive and well. We had lunch together a little while ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pondering

Post by pondering »

This is one of those topics a like button would be helpful for.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
scooter

Post by scooter »

Taylor and Mel.

They are the ones I read many, many years ago when I first found this site.

Taylor got me started at that time on Tot. Stk Mkt and Tot. bond as my first two funds

Mel for I bonds in the early years and good old Midcaps.

Thanks to both
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I am honored to have met many Bogleheads at annual meetings and DC metro Bogleheads events. The ones I have not met but would like to include:
- Mudpuppy - one of my most trusted cyber security sources
- retiredjg - one of the wisest and most helpful Bogleheads
- 2015 - we have similar approaches to life, and I'd like to learn more about his projects

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)