IRMA coming to South Beach in Miami

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
selftalk

IRMA coming to South Beach in Miami

Post by selftalk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Has anyone heard from Taylor ? He lives in Miami right in the path of the storm.

The Wizard

Re: IRMA coming to South Beach in Miami

Post by The Wizard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I think he's in evacuation zone A, for what it matters...
Attempted new signature...

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm

i wonder if he chose to sail out...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 pm
Don't be silly.
Those newer high-rises are rather sturdy, so with good shutters, you could shelter in place ok, I would think, if you could deal with the loss of power for a few days...

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Don't be silly.
Those newer high-rises are rather sturdy, so with good shutters, you could shelter in place ok, I would think, if you could deal with the loss of power for a few days...
I have a friend in Boca. She said that the newer buildings should be fine but they are being asked to evacuate. She is President of her condo so it has been a big job talking some of the resisters into getting out. Part of the problem with shelter in place is that emergency services sometimes can't reach them.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm an ornery type.
I would definitely shelter in place if I had decent confidence in the structural integrity of my building against 180 mph wind...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Taylor is moving to the same hurricane-proof hotel where the Hurricane Center folks camp out, do their planning and provide information to everyone during times like this, so he should be fine.

The major evacuation routes (I-75 and I-95) are parking lots heading north. Some reports state traffic's moving at anywhere from two-to-nine mph in many places.

After Irma visits Taylor's area, it's supposed to come right up the spine of Florida and pay me a visit. I'm on the central east coast, right across the street from the ocean. Send good thoughts our way.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:30 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 pm
The Wizard wrote:
PFInterest wrote:
Don't be silly.
I have a friend in Boca. She said that the newer buildings should be fine but they are being asked to evacuate. She is President of her condo so it has been a big job talking some of the resisters into getting out. Part of the problem with shelter in place is that emergency services sometimes can't reach them.
Some of those high-rise condos are turning off the electricity and water to encourage residents to leave. (At least so says the evening news last night).

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Best wishes Mel.

We think of the impact of the storm on our building as the primary challenge to safety but the next days without power, water, and ability to move about in a big storm are just as big of a concern.

Seeing the images from Barbuda and St John's are humbling.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Take care Mel.
My thoughts are with you, Taylor and all those in the path.

LynnC

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 pm
Best wishes Mel.

We think of the impact of the storm on our building as the primary challenge to safety but the next days without power, water, and ability to move about in a big storm are just as big of a concern.

Seeing the images from Barbuda and St John's are humbling.
After our City's experience with numerous power outages from earlier hurricanes and storms, we voted to float a bond issue and increase our taxes to bury the power lines. That's proven to be one of the best investments we've ever made.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:39 pm

I hope Mel and Taylor will be fine, our thoughts are with both of you and any other Bogleheads who live in the path of the hurricane. Stay safe out there. Hopefully, our server and our website won't blow away as well.
A fool and his money are good for business.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Be careful Mel and good luck of course.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

The major evacuation routes (I-75 and I-95) are parking lots heading north. Some reports state traffic's moving at anywhere from two-to-nine mph in many places.

After Irma visits Taylor's area, it's supposed to come right up the spine of Florida and pay me a visit. I'm on the central east coast, right across the street from the ocean. Send good thoughts our way.
We are right on the Bay no more than 1000 feet from the ocean in the Sunny Isles area. Things are looking a bit brighter than when Mel posted a few hours ago as it now seems Naples will be the recipient of a Cat 4/5 kill shot rather than us. We are third floor of a concrete building and shuttered up. This is going to be an incredible disaster with downed power lines, downed traffic signals, debris covered roads, damaged roofs, damaged cars and much more and worse to life and limb. Andrew was a tiny but intense storm that severely damaged a very limited area the rest of the state and surrounding states could help with. This monster is going to trash the whole state before it moves on to trash Georgia and the Carolina's.

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:01 pm

midareff wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

We are right on the Bay no more than 1000 feet from the ocean in the Sunny Isles area. Things are looking a bit brighter than when Mel posted a few hours ago as it now seems Naples will be the recipient of a Cat 4/5 kill shot rather than us. We are third floor of a concrete building and shuttered up. This is going to be an incredible disaster with downed power lines, downed traffic signals, debris covered roads, damaged roofs, damaged cars and much more and worse to life and limb. Andrew was a tiny but intense storm that severely damaged a very limited area the rest of the state and surrounding states could help with. This monster is going to trash the whole state before it moves on to trash Georgia and the Carolina's.
Glad it's looking better for you on the East Coast. Not looking so great here on the West side. :happy
Gill

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 pm

We have so many posters from Florida. Know that all of you are in many people thoughts. :-(

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:40 pm

selftalk wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 pm
Be careful Mel and good luck of course.

+1

Hope everyone stays safe. Looks like there's other hurricanes brewing too in the background like Jose.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 pm

The Wizard wrote:

Don't be silly.
The higher up you are, the higher the wind speed. And the worse it feels.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Taylor is moving to the same hurricane-proof hotel where the Hurricane Center folks camp out, do their planning and provide information to everyone during times like this, so he should be fine.

Good thoughts sent. Also to mingstar (site owner and server admin), who attends the South Florida Bogleheads chapter meetings.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.