There are many roads to ... Baile Átha Cliath? [Dublin...]

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
restingonmylaurels

There are many roads to ... Baile Átha Cliath? [Dublin...]

Post by restingonmylaurels » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 am

For my 100th post, I thought I would examine a BH sacred cow, albeit with the appropriate sense of trepidation. :(

That concerns the oft-used saying that “there are many roads to Dublin.” :confused

Now, I actually live in Dublin (the original one, the black pool, Baile Átha Cliath in modern Irish). 8-)

I can most assuredly testify from daily experience that there are a limited number of roads to Dublin from a limited number of directions (one side falls into the Irish Sea)! :sharebeer

Despite the scuttlebutt on the other side of the pond, gold-hoarding leprechauns are darn hard to pin down these days. Seems they have all started using Bitcoin! :moneybag

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: There are many roads to ... Baile Átha Cliath? [Dublin...]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:42 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Boglehead).

Congrats on your 100th post! To explain, restingonmylaurels is clarifying an often-used phrase used by Taylor Larimore.

For example: Subject: nice short piece on the math of factor investing
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:56 pm
Bogleheads:

I expressed my own thoughts about factors in this post: Factor Investing

There is more than one road to Dublin.

Best wishes
Taylor
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:56 pm

I have two friends who are 8 digit rich and both did real estate. No stocks. So not Bogleheads at all but well off so they did a different road. I did stocks and real estate and some pensions. So a different road. There are many ways to earn financial independence.

Good Luck.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm

restingonmylaurels wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 am
I can most assuredly testify from daily experience that there are a limited number of roads to Dublin ...
I guess it depends on where you are starting from (anywhere) as much as where you are going to (Dublin)!
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)