Stan died [Long time forum lurker]

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
timmy

Stan died [Long time forum lurker]

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am

The place where I go for coffee on weekends has a cast of characters. All retired guys. My favorite, Stan, died this week. Stan was a Boglehead - a long time lurker (10 years) but never posted.

Stan was a WW2 vet. He saw tough action in the Pacific. He retired from work in the 80's. A family man. Very kind.

His wife died 2 years ago. His spirit died with her.

I got a kick out of his stories about buying/ selling stocks early on. He was an early adopter to indexing. Why? "Because he couldn't pick stocks [(removed) --admin LadyGeek]."

RIP Stan

Abe

Re: Stan died

Post by Abe » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 am

Stan sounds like the kind of person I would like to know.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Amart

Post by Amart » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 am

As a fellow lurker, I was inclined to log in and thank you for sharing his memory with us. He sounded like a hoot! Rest in peace, Stan.

bmdack

Post by bmdack » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:46 am

I too am a fellow Lurker. I'm sure there are many like Stan that have learned and prospered from the information shared here without feeling we have the knowledge to share info ourselves.
Thanks to all and RIP Stan.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 am

A "tip" of my cap to Stan's service. Our WW II vets are leaving at an ever increasing rate. We owe so much to them, and all our young men and women in uniform.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:03 am

RIP Stan.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:09 am

I lost all of my WWII stories with my Dad 3 years ago. I miss Dad and the stories, feeling a piece of history is gone. Stan sounds like a great guy and sorry for your loss of a good friend. They were called the greatest generation for for a reason!!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:09 am

RIP with your wife, Stan.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:14 am

It sounds like Stan was a nice friend. I'm glad he had a group of friends at the coffee shop to hang around with in retirement. Hats off to Stan.

garnertr

Post by garnertr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 am

As a retired Navy Cryppie (1st Class) - I salute Stan and wish him Fair Winds and Following Seas! :)

Being Navy - here is a traditional speech given (liberties taken because I didn't have the full time in service and other info, and remember this is to a Sailor that has passed) to all who have moved on. Again Navy - but the thoughts are the same no matter what branch of service:

TODAY OUR NAVY HAS GIVEN MOST OF THE POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE, THE HONORS, TRADITIONS, AND CEREMONIES BACK TO HISTORY…TIME DOES NOT GIVE US THE FREEDOM TO DO THESE THINGS FROM THE PAST…BUT, WE STILL HAVE TO STOP ALL ENGINES, LAY ABOUT SMARTLY, AND DROP ANCHOR TO PAY HOMAGE TO ONE OF OUR SHIPMATES GOING ASHORE. TO HONOR THE YEARS SERVED, THE GUIDANCE, THE LEADERSHIP, THE FRIENDSHIP AND THE EXPERTISE THAT THIS SHIPMATE HAS FREELY GIVEN THESE YEARS.

FOR YEARS, THIS SAILOR HAS STOOD THE WATCH.

WHILE SOME OF US WERE IN OUR BUNKS AT NIGHT THIS SAILOR STOOD THE WATCH

WHILE SOME OF US WERE IN SCHOOL LEARNING OUR TRADE, THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

YES, EVEN BEFORE SOME OF US WERE BORN INTO THIS WORLD ... THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

IN THOSE YEARS WHEN THE STORM CLOUDS OF WAR WERE SEEN BREWING ON THE HORIZON OF HISTORY THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

MANY TIMES HE WOULD CAST AN EYE ASHORE AND SEE HIS
FAMILY STANDING THERE ... NEEDING HIS GUIDANCE AND
HELP...NEEDING THAT HAND TO HOLD DURING THOSE HARD
TIMES ... BUT HE STILL STOOD THE WATCH

HE STOOD THE WATCH FOR YEARS
HE STOOD THE WATCH SO THAT WE , OUR FAMILIES, AND OUR
FELLOW COUNTRYMEN COULD SLEEP SOUNDLY IN SAFETY EACH
AND EVERY NIGHT KNOWING THAT A SAILOR STOOD THE WATCH

TODAY WE ARE HERE TO SAY "SHIPMATE, THE WATCH STANDS
RELIEVED. RELIEVED BY THOSE YOU HAVE LED, GUIDED, AND
TRAINED.

STAN, YOU STAND RELIEVED. WE HAVE THE WATCH.

BOATSWAIN ... STANDBY TO PIPE THE SIDE ... SHIPMATE GOING ASHORE.

---

I lurk and seldom post, so my thoughts and prayers go out to Stan's family and friends. A great man has passed w/ the knowledge and experience of his life shared in stories, memories and his family. He will live on in thoughts and prayers.

Again, it's for a Sailor but my heart goes out to those that have served decades before me, in a military that doesn't exist today (those that serve know that the military today is NOTHING like the military of past days). Uniforms change, personnel come and go, but these traditions hold and we share them to one and all! :) Heck even the military of today is way different than the military that I served in. I am not saying good or bad, just those guys from WWII, Vietnam, Korean and other wars past had such a different experience then what I went through in my 20 years. So thoughts, prayers and a salute to you Stan, I may not have known you, but I am extremely proud to have served in the military and I always give a hearty salute to those that come before me to pave the way for me.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Stan was a Boglehead.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 am

The place where I go for coffee on weekends has a cast of characters. All retired guys. My favorite, Stan, died this week. Stan was a Boglehead - a long time lurker (10 years) but never posted.
Timmy:

It is unfortunate that Stan, "a long time lurker (10 years) but never posted," did not share his investing experience with us. Everything I know about investing I learned from others.

If Stan was a Boglehead, he probably died in good financial shape!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 am

Stan the Man. RIP.

frugaltigris

Post by frugaltigris » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 am

Sorry to hear about Stan. Seemed like a great guy to know. May his soul rest in peace.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Stan died [Long time forum lurker]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:57 am

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads - even if not registered with the forum).

My deepest condolences.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 pm

garnertr, thank you for your service! :sharebeer

Thanks all. He would appreciate the salute!

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:38 pm

If he is still lurking here, I'll bet he is amazed that he is being recognized, even though he didn't contribute.
Here's to Stan and all the other lurkers and those who recently joined just so they could comment! :sharebeer :sharebeer

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Stan was part of our quiet group, our silent majority.

The Bogleheads Silent Majority

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:21 pm

timmy wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am
The place where I go for coffee on weekends has a cast of characters.
Timmy, do your coffee spot buddies discuss things going on in this forum very much or was it that Stan just mentioned he sometimes read here?

Assuming some of them may not have internet access, did anyone ever pull out their phone and read some posts out load so others could comment? If so, what were their favorite topics?

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 pm

For my job, I'm mostly on the road. When home, I tend to work (email, non thinking stuff) at this place in the mornings.

I used to help him with his technology ... setting up his IPHONE, computer problems, trouble shooting, setting up his email, creating shortcuts to websites, you name it. Anyway, that's how it came up.

I don't remember the first time we talked about this site. Our first conversations about investing related to Bob Brinker (radio guy, talks about money and related, big Vanguard fan).

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Sorry, I didn't answer your question.

The topic tended to normal stuff: Level of the stock market, Foreign markets came up a lot, A lot of about grand kids and cost of college.

Whenever I'd join deeper in the conversations, they'd ask me a lot about my use of 401K, 529, etc. How we were saving for this or that? I don't know if it was being polite or genuine questions.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Regarding Stan, as best I can tell, he did alright. He had a full pension and plenty of savings. His house was paid off in the 70s and was worth ~$500K more recently. (Typical price for this burb.) He suggested that he was paying for his ~6 grand kids college. I don't know if that was 1% or 100%.

He didn't hold any foreign stock, held the SP500 and laddered CDs. He never told me % stock/ bond mix. However, based on our conversations and the influence of Bob Brinker (portfolio 3 for who listen to Bob), he was 50/ 50 (me guessing).

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I knew a lot of World War II veterans, including my 5th Grade teacher, Mr. Marshall. They are a diminishing group, and it is sad. Fortunately, the forum still has Taylor Larimore. I think all the WWII vets that I knew are gone, though some widows are still around. My father was military police during the Korean War but his unit stayed stateside at Presidio in San Francisco. He will turn 88 soon. So even the Korean War era vets are getting pretty old and their group is dwindling rapidly too. Of course, a lot of WWII vets got called back so there is a lot of overlap between the two groups.

Lurkers are the unsung heroes of this forum. They are much the reason for the forum's existence and if it wasn't for them, there would be much less reason to post. I know I lurked around here for at least a couple of years before I started posting.
A fool and his money are good for business.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

timmy wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm
Whenever I'd join deeper in the conversations, they'd ask me a lot about my use of 401K, 529, etc. How we were saving for this or that? I don't know if it was being polite or genuine questions.
This doesn't sound like generic conversation, but an actual interest.

Thanks for replying.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Rest in peace, Stan. Thank you for your service.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 pm

RIP Stan. Thank you for your service.
Financial Independence is the best revenge. | "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm

That was a lovely reminiscence and much appreciated.

I'm going to date myself and say that it reminded me of the "magic mirror" on Romper Room when I was a kid. I thought she probably couldn't really see me in my home, but I wasn't sure. We were all lurkers in those days. :happy

zeppy

Post by zeppy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:25 pm

I, too, am mostly silent and rarely post but I do read here almost every day and have gained enough confidence to finally move my IRA from another custodian to Vanguard. Thanks to all who give so much time and assistance to us less knowledgeable folks.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 pm

blueblock wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm
That was a lovely reminiscence and much appreciated.

I'm going to date myself and say that it reminded me of the "magic mirror" on Romper Room when I was a kid. I thought she probably couldn't really see me in my home, but I wasn't sure. We were all lurkers in those days. :happy
+1 to the Magic Mirror :mrgreen:
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm

One last thought. Hopefully, it doesn't offend or get censored.

Stan had awful arthritis (all over near the end). In the Winter, it was painful to even watch him walk. No doubt each step was painful. Anyway, often one of his coffee buddies would ask ... How are you feeling?

Stan would groan ... Stiff.

One of the other guys would say ... I bet that's the way his wife likes him (or something like that).

Stan would turn bright red.

I always got a kick out of that one.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:39 pm

A good friend of mine and fellow volunteer at Alcatraz named Stan who taught much about Alcatraz and living life well into one's 80s. He was a joy to be around, people-oriented, and good natured. He was born and raised in San Francisco, liked by everyone, and is still missed by anyone who knew him.

Thanks for reminding me of him.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 am
A "tip" of my cap to Stan's service. Our WW II vets are leaving at an ever increasing rate. We owe so much to them, and all our young men and women in uniform.

Broken Man 1999
Yes. But also the veterans of Korea. And Vietnam. It doesn't have to be a war we feel good about for someone to have served honourably. (It's forgotten now, but by its end the Korean War engendered the same public reaction that later wars did -- a sense of frustration, boredom and disinterest).

I would add Malaya (my father served in the Malayan Emergency), Borneo, Oman, Kenya, Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq ...

In fact, November 11th is a holiday for veterans in Canada. However my father was ineligible because the law states that it is wars fought by "Canada and its Allies". So Korea yes, Malaya (where Canada did not particpate) no.

My father was always threatening to wear his campaign medals into the office on November 11th ;-).

The other gentleman in the office who was an unrecognized veteran was named Heinz ;-).

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:48 am

A salute to you too Timmy! What a tribute to your friend, and a tribute to you for being a great friend to Stan.

I just had dinner with a WWII friend who is 92, still kicking and screaming, driving his car, living independently, flirting with the waitresses who are so young he could adopt them. He lost his wife of 65 years about 1.5 years ago, and weeps every time he thinks about her. Thank goodness he goes to a bereavement group so he won't suffer alone. That's how we met.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

investmentmaiden

Post by investmentmaiden » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 am

timmy wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am

Stan was a WW2 vet. He saw tough action in the Pacific. He retired from work in the 80's. A family man. Very kind.

His wife died 2 years ago. His spirit died with her.

I got a kick out of his stories about buying/ selling stocks early on. He was an early adopter to indexing. Why? "Because he couldn't pick stocks [(removed) --admin LadyGeek]."

RIP Stan

RIP Stan. He sounds wonderful, reminding me of my grandfather. Thank you for sharing.

Bjtsven

Post by Bjtsven » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

Stan,

Cheers!

The Greatest Generation.

jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 pm

+1 hardly ever posters. I'm in that club. Mostly thanking others who post. I read posts hete almost everyday.

Thank you Timmy for sharing. Rest in peace Stan.

Funny! I'm listening to Bob Brinker now

J

Detective_27

Post by Detective_27 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:30 am

Can't say I knew the man, but I wish his spirit well...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 am

Broken Man 1999
Yes. But also the veterans of Korea. And Vietnam. It doesn't have to be a war we feel good about for someone to have served honourably. (It's forgotten now, but by its end the Korean War engendered the same public reaction that later wars did -- a sense of frustration, boredom and disinterest).

I would add Malaya (my father served in the Malayan Emergency), Borneo, Oman, Kenya, Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq ...

In fact, November 11th is a holiday for veterans in Canada. However my father was ineligible because the law states that it is wars fought by "Canada and its Allies". So Korea yes, Malaya (where Canada did not particpate) no.

My father was always threatening to wear his campaign medals into the office on November 11th ;-).

The other gentleman in the office who was an unrecognized veteran was named Heinz ;-).
It's a holiday in the U.S. as well - Veteran's Day, lest we forget.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

celia

Post by celia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 am

And I would add that it doesn't matter WHERE you served or WHEN. Even those who enlisted and were assigned to non-combat jobs or worked stateside and performed their assigned jobs honorably should be recognized, just because they were willing to serve their country, no matter what their job was. (I once met a vet, that due to his advertising background, was assigned to do propaganda in Vietnam. They put the unit up in a hotel there and the men put messages in bars of soap where you wouldn't see the message until the soap wore down. They wrote flyers and had them translated and dropped from the air. He was never in harm's way and didn't carry a weapon since they were in the middle of a town/city.)

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:33 pm

garnertr wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 am
As a retired Navy Cryppie (1st Class) - I salute Stan and wish him Fair Winds and Following Seas! :)

Being Navy - here is a traditional speech given (liberties taken because I didn't have the full time in service and other info, and remember this is to a Sailor that has passed) to all who have moved on. Again Navy - but the thoughts are the same no matter what branch of service:

TODAY OUR NAVY HAS GIVEN MOST OF THE POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE, THE HONORS, TRADITIONS, AND CEREMONIES BACK TO HISTORY…TIME DOES NOT GIVE US THE FREEDOM TO DO THESE THINGS FROM THE PAST…BUT, WE STILL HAVE TO STOP ALL ENGINES, LAY ABOUT SMARTLY, AND DROP ANCHOR TO PAY HOMAGE TO ONE OF OUR SHIPMATES GOING ASHORE. TO HONOR THE YEARS SERVED, THE GUIDANCE, THE LEADERSHIP, THE FRIENDSHIP AND THE EXPERTISE THAT THIS SHIPMATE HAS FREELY GIVEN THESE YEARS.

FOR YEARS, THIS SAILOR HAS STOOD THE WATCH.

WHILE SOME OF US WERE IN OUR BUNKS AT NIGHT THIS SAILOR STOOD THE WATCH

WHILE SOME OF US WERE IN SCHOOL LEARNING OUR TRADE, THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

YES, EVEN BEFORE SOME OF US WERE BORN INTO THIS WORLD ... THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

IN THOSE YEARS WHEN THE STORM CLOUDS OF WAR WERE SEEN BREWING ON THE HORIZON OF HISTORY THIS SHIPMATE STOOD THE WATCH

MANY TIMES HE WOULD CAST AN EYE ASHORE AND SEE HIS
FAMILY STANDING THERE ... NEEDING HIS GUIDANCE AND
HELP...NEEDING THAT HAND TO HOLD DURING THOSE HARD
TIMES ... BUT HE STILL STOOD THE WATCH

HE STOOD THE WATCH FOR YEARS
HE STOOD THE WATCH SO THAT WE , OUR FAMILIES, AND OUR
FELLOW COUNTRYMEN COULD SLEEP SOUNDLY IN SAFETY EACH
AND EVERY NIGHT KNOWING THAT A SAILOR STOOD THE WATCH

TODAY WE ARE HERE TO SAY "SHIPMATE, THE WATCH STANDS
RELIEVED. RELIEVED BY THOSE YOU HAVE LED, GUIDED, AND
TRAINED.

STAN, YOU STAND RELIEVED. WE HAVE THE WATCH.

BOATSWAIN ... STANDBY TO PIPE THE SIDE ... SHIPMATE GOING ASHORE.

---

My very best to Stan's family and friends. Sometimes it's the quieter guys who really touch our lives and you noticed and appreciated him. The sad fate of aging for me is that we are losing such great guys all the more frequently.

And thank you Garnett for this wonderful post. In April my father passed, retired Chief Petty Office 1st Class Boatswain Mate and veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam. We are very proud of his service in the navy. I only wish I had your words on the day of his funeral because they would have meant much to our family. Some things I did inherited from him, besides my love for the sea, were his pipe, his first Crackerjack hat and his last Chief's cap, which mean far more to me than the dollars in the bank.