[Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
stlutz

Re: [Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Post by stlutz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Markets haven't been that volatile the past couple of years. When today's world seems fundamentally different than the one of a year ago, things are more interesting.

However, in reality I don't want to live in "interesting times." :)

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm

I personally thought a lot of the back and forth on Larry Swedroe posts had gotten a little stale. There are a lot more approaches to investing issues that just the ones he advocated. In time I think we will get more willingness to explore a little more.

TheHouse7

Re: Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?

Post by TheHouse7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm

celia wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:27 pm
I agree that there are a lot of consumer and travel posts that just don't interest me. But I hang around to help others rather than ask others for help. After you've solved the original problem for which you came here, don't you feel obligated to "pay it forard" by helping a few other people? And if you've answered the same question 3 times or more, can you somehow integrate that concept into a wiki page? This forum can continue to run only if it has members who are willing to do what someone has done for them.

After all, it doesn't take long before you are out of the newbie category.
+1
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm

I only have a couple years experience here, but the education has been remarkable. I have my favorite posters that seem to think and say the things I have come to believe. I also find a new poster, jbolden1517 to be a breath of fresh air. S(he) makes me question all I have learned and look at things from a different perspective. I have to admit, it made me uncomfortable at first, but I have come to appreciate his/her thoughtful replies. I am not looking for complicated answers, but they do make you pause and do a little research sometimes. Toons keeps it simple and makes the complicated seem understandable. After 10 years, I may feel the way OP describes, but for now I am still an avid reader of Bogleheads.

Best to all,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 pm

minesweep wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm
Maybe it’s because a number of the questions have been asked previously. After all it has been ten years since the Forum inception (even longer if you consider the old Diehards hangout at Morningstar). More than 213,000 topics have been posted thus far. Just today “livesoft” responded to a question concerning the Wellington & Wellesley funds. He linked 5 nearly identical topic questions on the subject.
Such repetition occurs not only on the forum, but throughout the world of financial advice. Top financial authors (and Bogleheads) Jason Zweig and Jonathan Clements have written of repeating their advice and why:

-Zweig: "In my columns, I write the exact same thing between 10 and 60 times a year, making sure none of my readers can tell that I’m repeating myself. That’s because there are only a handful of enduring truths about investing, but editors demand more than a handful of columns each year."

-Clements: "For more than three decades, I have written and thought about money—and I like to believe I’ve been fairly consistent in my financial philosophy."

And in a book I recently read, Heads I Win, Tails I Win, the author, Spencer Jakab, referring to concerns for his readers' financial well being, wrote, “For all the ink that’s spilled about investing, there’s a reason the world needed another book on the subject. It's the last area of our lives where even very smart people let hope triumph over experience." The book, btw, is now among Taylor Larimore's "Gems" in the wiki.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm

I am tired of auto/car threads. There are times where every 10th thread is about cars.

These fall into several categories:
1. I've been a good boy, is it ok if I spend my money on X car?
a. I don't care, I'm getting a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.
b. My Hyundai/Toyota/Honda/Kia really is the same as a luxury car and I can't see the difference.

2. My car is getting old, what should I do?
a. Buy all the parts on Amazon for $200 and do it yourself.
b. Sell it and buy something else

3. I really like the Tesla Model 3 and can't wait to get one in 2020.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:34 pm

How interesting is a poster who asks such an inane question?
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 pm

CorradoJr wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I am tired of auto/car threads. There are times where every 10th thread is about cars.

These fall into several categories:
1. I've been a good boy, is it ok if I spend my money on X car?

2. My car is getting old, what should I do?
a. Buy all the parts on Amazon for $200 and do it yourself.
b. Sell it and buy something else

3. I really like the Tesla Model 3 and can't wait to get one in 2020.
But if you don't look at the consumer category you shouldn't even see those posts. Personally I don't use the category view but I just mentally skip over topics I'm not interested and don't see that being a problem.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm

How interesting is a poster who asks such an inane question? Interesting lies in the eye of the beholder.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm

It's like getting to the Major Leagues. At some point you learn enough that the game slows down. The game hasn't changed. You've sped up.
Too soon old, too late smart.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

soupcxan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm
I agree with you.

There seems to be more off topic posts than years past. Things like "What books/TV shows/movies/foods do you like?" and "Recommendations needed for garbage bags". Which would be fine, if there was an off-topic board so I could filter them out.

Many other questions that are somewhat on topic get posted which could literally be answered by the first google search result. http://www.lmgtfy.com

And then there are the humblebrag posts such as "I'm 28 and I make $300k/year and I have $2.5M at Vanguard, am I behind???"

So it does seem the signal-to-noise ratio is decreasing.
Actually it was 400k/year lol.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 pm

KSOC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm
It's like getting to the Major Leagues. At some point you learn enough that the game slows down. The game hasn't changed. You've sped up.
Or it's like a shiny new toy that is no longer shiny and the novelty has worn off.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm

reriodan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm
soupcxan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm
I agree with you.

There seems to be more off topic posts than years past. Things like "What books/TV shows/movies/foods do you like?" and "Recommendations needed for garbage bags". Which would be fine, if there was an off-topic board so I could filter them out.

Many other questions that are somewhat on topic get posted which could literally be answered by the first google search result. http://www.lmgtfy.com

And then there are the humblebrag posts such as "I'm 28 and I make $300k/year and I have $2.5M at Vanguard, am I behind???"

So it does seem the signal-to-noise ratio is decreasing.
Actually it was 400k/year lol.
:happy
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm

I really think the best post I ever read here was when I signed up and read Taylor Larimore analyzing the construction of the 3 fund portfolio and his reasons for it right from the beginning. I still feel it is priceless. I`m sure that post has helped a lot of people if they implemented it and stuck with it. I also like the consumer issues section as it helped me in purchasing worthwhile items and saving a lot of potential aggravation. This website enables us to learn from other peoples experiences. It`s a definite value and I hope it continues. Remember successful investing is supposed to be boring.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:10 pm

When you joined you were not of the body but now you are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xDvX2_v0k
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

scienceguy

Post by scienceguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 pm

OP here. Thanks for the responses. A few clarifications/thoughts:

1) The original title was "Is Bogelheads getting less interesting," but several commented on misspelling of Bogleheads and questioned whether it should be "Is" or "Are." So, someone changed the title to its current "Are the Bogleheads getting less interesting." The only reason I point that out is that I think the current title implies that I think the members themselves are less interesting, rather than the site, which was not my intention. For what its worth, I think the term Bogleheads is a collective noun, and therefore is singular. Therefore, I think the title should be "Is Bogleheads getting less interesting?"

2) I think alot of the comments are really interesting. Several have suggested that after some number of years on the site, things get very repetitive, which feels right to me. Also, that there really are a limited number of personal finance issues that people face, so they keep popping up over and over again. People have also suggested that at that point, it is appropriate to serve in a more senior role, patiently dealing with the repetitive questions from newbies (or just stop reading Bogleheads). Also sounds right to me. Finally, others have suggested that during long bull markets (ie, now), there is less action/anxiety to drive discussion.

3) One poster pointed out that despite some ups and downs, this remains a really unique and valuable forum because it is a place that people interested in money feel unconstrained in discussing it. This is particularly valuable because in normal day to day lives people feel it impolite to discuss money, so it is rarely discussed. I agree. I continue to appreciate that Bogleheads is a place to try out $$$-related ideas with smart, interested people.

scienceguy

Post by scienceguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pm

OP again - that said, I continue to feel that the level of discourse has gone down and the amount of trolling has gone up.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Laura (the Queen of the Bogleheads and co-author of The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning) is now the US Ambassador to Nicaragua and, as such, is not allowed to post in public forums like this. However, she's still an important part of the Bogleheads Community and will be attending our 2017 Bogleheads Conference.
That is great to know. She was one of the very few of whom I made sure to read every post, and then she just up and disappeared so I am glad she is ok. Incredibly smart person who helped so many here.

I think retiredjg and ruralavalon deserve a big shout out for picking up a lot of slack in her absence. Those two work tirelessly helping folks out in the Help With Personal Investments forum.

So I guess those who feel the place is less interesting could try to do more of what those two do: help out those who are less knowledgeable to get off on the right foot to establish good saving and investing habits and avoid big mistakes.
Last edited by CantPassAgain on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Trolling, in what way ?

I think BH's are just getting better at what they do.

But markets are markets and with all their ups and downs you
could get 1% 10 year returns or 7% 10 year returns.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm
I also find a new poster, jbolden1517 to be a breath of fresh air. S(he) makes me question all I have learned and look at things from a different perspective. I have to admit, it made me uncomfortable at first, but I have come to appreciate his/her thoughtful replies. I am not looking for complicated answers, but they do make you pause and do a little research sometimes.
Something tells me he was shown the exit.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Investing is boring, and without any major market disruptions to panic about talking about investing is pretty boring too. There are still some fantastic posts in here, but there are so many members now, so many threads, that you have to dig a bit to find the golden needle in the haystack.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm
dwickenh wrote:
I also find a new poster, jbolden1517 to be a breath of fresh air. S(he) makes me question all I have learned and look at things from a different perspective. I have to admit, it made me uncomfortable at first, but I have come to appreciate his/her thoughtful replies. I am not looking for complicated answers, but they do make you pause and do a little research sometimes.
For the lazy: posts.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 pm

randomizer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 pm
CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:
For the lazy: posts.
Lazy?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:
Not a poster I am particularly remembering, so I did a search, and jbolden1517 seems to have posted quite a few times in the recent past, including within the week. So unless something very recent "happened", jbolden1517 is still a member of the community.

RM

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 pm
CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:
Not a poster I am particularly remembering, so I did a search, and jbolden1517 seems to have posted quite a few times in the recent past, including within the week. So unless something very recent "happened", jbolden1517 is still a member of the community.

RM
All I know is that said member replied to one of my posts after their last post of record here, and the post was removed by a moderator before I could read it. They have not posted anything since.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 pm

scienceguy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 pm
OP here. Thanks for the responses. A few clarifications/thoughts:

1) The original title was "Is Bogelheads getting less interesting," but several commented on misspelling of Bogleheads and questioned whether it should be "Is" or "Are." So, someone changed the title to its current "Are the Bogleheads getting less interesting." The only reason I point that out is that I think the current title implies that I think the members themselves are less interesting, rather than the site, which was not my intention.
It's too late. We are collectively irreversibly offended. just kidding

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 pm

This site is entertaining to me but I imagine most topics have been covered pretty well. If you're looking at this site purely for entertainment you will be disappointed. The thrill is gone with many forums/hobbies/spouses after a certain point after the novelty wears off.

Bigbonds

Post by Bigbonds » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm

jadedfalcons wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm
:D I always thought that it was because when the threads started to get interesting, Ladygeek would swoop in and lock them up.
+1

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:08 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:

RM
All I know is that said member replied to one of my posts after their last post of record here, and the post was removed by a moderator before I could read it. They have not posted anything since.
Oh.

Well, there are occasional posts, and even entire threads (albeit usually fairly recent/short) that are deleted (actually just taken to a mod-only area, I believe, not really "gone") for some infringement, and occasionally they are restored and/or edited.

Perhaps jbolden1517 is taking a time out due to that?

Anyway, many of us just have times when "life happens", for better or worse, and we may go missing for a matter of weeks or months just due to other things.
You could send jbolden1517 a PM (private message) if you are concerned.

RM

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 pm

My entry point to the forum is the page listing the recent threads. The statistic that is noted at the top at the time I write this reply is:

"1315 new posts and replies over 181 topics" over the last day. (I do not know how days are counted in this regard.)

As the forum has grown in terms of users so too (of course) have the number of topics and replies. Unless I have knowledge of the original poster or a lot of interest in a topic, I just don't click on topics with lots of responses. I feel I would have little to add. If I dig a bit, in other words scroll, I can usually find a thread where I think there is something I can learn or an insight that I can share.

With the number of topics posted daily, I find I do a fair amount of scrolling. In this sense, the forum is "less interesting" as I am passing by many more threads/topics today than I did 5 years ago. Obviously, what I find interesting and what another reader finds interesting differ greatly. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

As I finish this post the statistic I cited now reads:
1312 new posts and replies over 180 topics in last day (sorted by Latest Reply
Last edited by Peter Foley on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:

RM
That happens, and then sometimes the poster exits, either temporarily or permanently, but without being escorted out. I liked jbolden1517's posts also.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm
That happens, and then sometimes the poster exits, either temporarily or permanently, but without being escorted out. I liked jbolden1517's posts also.
I miss sscritic.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
I won't claim to be a big fan but he sure made the place more interesting.

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Well anybody would appreciate some provocative views.
The CFA's are hedgers, the CMT's are macros AFAIK with
Eliot Wave Theory to use, factors aren't much different than
long term studies, real figures and inflation are just hard to
beat without expanded capital it's true. Some people are
more advised about certain topics than others. That's normal.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 pm

Staying the course is more boring than this forum.

Being boring has probably saved the Bogleheads billions of dollars in aggregate.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 pm
My entry point to the forum is the page listing the recent threads. The statistic that is noted at the top at the time I write this reply is:

"1315 new posts and replies over 181 topics" over the last day. (I do not know how days are counted in this regard.)

As the forum has grown in terms of users so too (of course) have the number of topics and replies. Unless I have knowledge of the original poster or a lot of interest in a topic, I just don't click on topics with lots of responses. I feel I would have little to add. If I dig a bit, in other words scroll, I can usually find a thread where I think there is something I can learn or an insight that I can share.

With the number of topics posted daily, I find I do a fair amount of scrolling. In this sense, the forum is "less interesting" as I am passing by many more threads/topics today than I did 5 years ago. Obviously, what I find interesting and what another reader finds interesting differ greatly. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

As I finish this post the statistic I cited now reads:
1312 new posts and replies over 180 topics in last day (sorted by Latest Reply
One day = the prior 24 hours up to the current time.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
I had to look and find talk of PE ratios irrelevant to Boglehead investing. I will say this thread is getting interesting.

Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 pm

I wish we could restart the polls that we use to have. Not sure why the moderators took them away. The polls were always interesting and starting them again would re-energize discussion.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
I miss sscritic.

Victoria

I was going to respond to "going up"'s post with sscritic as well. He was the most knowledgeable person on the site WRT SS questions , although too many didn't do prior searches when requesting info back in the day.
(Hey, I've only been a "member " since '09 while lurking for about a year and a half before then-- so I'm obviously not too familiar :) )

WRT the original question, over the years it seems that new arrivals come in waves, with the usual questions and similar responses. Obviously, big changes came after the SS changes (hence, why I miss SSCritic), but otherwise with few changes to the financial landscape it makes sense that the questions would be similar. (BTW, for newbies, the search button/google is your friend)

For those of us already in retirement, fewer topics become of interest since we've already crossed that bridge. (and some of us don't respond to "how many years to get to 1 million, 2 million, or whatever " posts because the conditions that allowed us to get there may not be available to the new poster)
Last edited by Nearing_Destination on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm

CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
I won't claim to be a big fan but he sure made the place more interesting.
Not for me.I zoomed past his posts.
Gordon

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 pm

I joined a little over a year ago knowing almost nothing about the Boglehead way. I like to think I have followed a petty standard trajectory for anyone who has hung around for a while.

When I first joined I was interested in asset allocations, because that was what I was trying to get a handle on. I would try and read other more advanced threads but would get confused easily. After I got my investments set up into a three fund portfolio I started to read everything. I literally would read for hours and hours trying to learn as much as I could. As I have learned more it has become less interesting in that I don't read all of the threads anymore. Now I like to read the "How long to get to a million dollars" type threads, because I am not there yet. When I get there I will probably be bored by those threads :happy . Maybe then I will be posting in the "Should I buy a Tesla" threads :sharebeer .

I can understand why it would be less interesting for someone who has won the game. Hopefully a lot of those people will continue to stick around to help those of us still playing :happy .

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:31 pm

5th dimension

Are we supposed to give you the "cheat" codes?

(They were earned from hard w@rk)

Reminds me, I need to change my username

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 pm

We should invite this man to do an AMA

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... h_2009.jpg
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:29 pm

Then again...thinking about how simple in theory the boglehead approach is, and how once you 'get it', the rest is window dressing....

I am reminded of this man...Charles Holland Duell, who is reported to have said in 1901: "Everything that can be invented has been invented"

There may be some new discoveries and inventions worthy of being added to the BH philosophy.

And slicing and dicing, factors, bond duration optimization, roth conversions, finessing social security, safe withdrawal rates, and the like, are defiantly worthy of thoughtful discussion.... but so much of it really comes down to the basics:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
11 READ THE WIKI
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 pm

My wife and I have known a number of people with a lot of, often self inflicted, "drama" going on in their lives and we have a family saying;
"Boring is good."
Part of what may make the boards less interesting is that the stock markets are still near an all time high so investing and "holding the course" is a lot easier when everything is going well.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 pm

CaliJim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 pm
We should invite this man to do an AMA

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... h_2009.jpg
Sadly he was replaced.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 am

ResearchMed wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
dwickenh wrote:

RM
I did look him up. Still has an active account. Last logged in on August 26th. I did engage him a lot. The robo-advisor thread was pretty good. In another thread, he made claims about float manipulation, while plausible, but little evidence this was widespread or was actually affecting the markets.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am

Bigbonds wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm
In the old days back over on the old Morningstar forum, there was much less moderation and so you'd get the occasional bar fight that would add interest; I mean, I probably threw a few jabs that in retrospect I am less than proud of, so I have come to appreciate the well moderated forum that Bogleheads is. I think some of the posters on the old Morningstar forum genuinely disliked one another while this is a much more collegial group overall.

In short, you've got to be a little on the boring side to have a good forum.
I agree. This place is a very tight sandbox and there are a ton of investing related topics that could have a major impact on all bogleheads that you're not even allowed to discuss(the federal reserve, for a mild example). Members with different opinions from the norm are not tolerated and often have topics locked and are banned in record time. There is only so far you can go in an environment like this. The only topics that are even mildly interesting is domestic versus international or swr, but even those get locked and old. Echo chamber is the best way to describe it.
There is truth to this, and I'm glad somebody brought it up. I miss the troublemakers, and I am not a fan of the increase in moderating. When this started, there was far less locking, deleting, etc.

If you don't have enemies, you don't have character. - Paul Newman

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 am

Dude2 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am
Bigbonds wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm
I agree. This place is a very tight sandbox and there are a ton of investing related topics that could have a major impact on all bogleheads that you're not even allowed to discuss(the federal reserve, for a mild example). Members with different opinions from the norm are not tolerated and often have topics locked and are banned in record time. There is only so far you can go in an environment like this. The only topics that are even mildly interesting is domestic versus international or swr, but even those get locked and old. Echo chamber is the best way to describe it.
There is truth to this, and I'm glad somebody brought it up. I miss the troublemakers, and I am not a fan of the increase in moderating. When this started, there was far less locking, deleting, etc.

If you don't have enemies, you don't have character. - Paul Newman
I think it is a hard balance. The Bogleheads forums are an oasis of civility in contrast to the nasty cesspool that forms when there is unmoderated anonymous discussion on the internet. I believe that is due in large part to moderation. Keeping politics out for example really does help the tone. I'm occasionally disappointed when threads I'm interested in are locked, but I think the relative sanity here is worth that myself.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am

Maybe it is time for PeteElm to make a return appearance!

In fairness to this forum, we are in an 8 year bull market. Portfolios are flush and investment assets have mostly been a case of good, better or best. You can only take "which investment has gone up the most" so far. It's been pretty hard to make major mistakes in this market.

In contrast, back on the old Morningstar forum, the time span covered the tech bubble and subsequent crash. It was truly a crazy time, with people making ridiculous gains - Janus Junction - arguing with those who said "this ain't gonna last" - subset of Diehard posters. Then 911 and wartime and there was lots to discuss. Similarly, the housing bubble and subsequent crash in 2008 and 2009 was an interesting time for investing, but then everything just went back up confirming the general belief that the stock market always recovers after a couple of years and all is well, children, all is well.

Will it last? Probably not. Is the stock market ALWAYS guaranteed to go back up? I'll go with maybe not and it might be a good idea to think about what that might mean.