[Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
VictoriaF

Re: [Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 am

Kenkat wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am
In fairness to this forum, we are in an 8 year bull market. Portfolios are flush and investment assets have mostly been a case of good, better or best. You can only take "which investment has gone up the most" so far. It's been pretty hard to make major mistakes in this market.
If one could invest in the Bogleheads Forum Excitement, it would be a good diversifier: When the market is going up, the BFE is going down; when the market drops the BFE surges.

In other words, market bulls are Bogleheads Bears and market bears are Bogleheads Bulls.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:59 am

I have retired so the issues that were most important to me have been addressed. I also miss sscritic. I still find it interesting to see what issues others are struggling with.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am

Kenkat wrote:
Is the stock market ALWAYS guaranteed to go back up? I'll go with maybe not and it might be a good idea to think about what that might mean.
There are scores of market timing forums, this should not be one of them. Boglehead investing is boring because it is set in stone and doesn't change. It is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Sell US and buy EM? I don't think so.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am

As far as less interesting.................

Maybe you are just getting smarter.
Last edited by midareff on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am

Kenkat wrote:
Maybe it is time for PeteElm to make a return appearance!

In fairness to this forum, we are in an 8 year bull market. Portfolios are flush and investment assets have mostly been a case of good, better or best. You can only take "which investment has gone up the most" so far. It's been pretty hard to make major mistakes in this market.

In contrast, back on the old Morningstar forum, the time span covered the tech bubble and subsequent crash. It was truly a crazy time, with people making ridiculous gains - Janus Junction - arguing with those who said "this ain't gonna last" - subset of Diehard posters. Then 911 and wartime and there was lots to discuss. Similarly, the housing bubble and subsequent crash in 2008 and 2009 was an interesting time for investing, but then everything just went back up confirming the general belief that the stock market always recovers after a couple of years and all is well, children, all is well.

Will it last? Probably not. Is the stock market ALWAYS guaranteed to go back up? I'll go with maybe not and it might be a good idea to think about what that might mean.
Since you can't go broke taking some profit it might mean it's a good time to check your AA creep and buy some insured CDs.

HomerJ

Re: Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?

Post by HomerJ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 am

knpstr wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm
I think it is the nature of many things, the more you frequent it, the less novel it becomes. That's where the theoretical academic debates can become the "new interest", but also why they are potentially dangerous as a distraction to divert one over time from their initial simple/sound plan.
This.

The theoretical academic debates may be interesting, but I think they are very dangerous for new members (and some old members too!)

Index investing is boring. Stay the course is boring. Doing nothing is boring. Humans don't like boring. Humans want to feel smarter than everyone else, so they seek out new theories to give them an "edge".

In theory, the difference between theory and practice is small. In practice, the difference between theory and practice is large.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am

midareff wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am
Since you can't go broke taking some profit it might mean it's a good time to check your AA creep and buy some insured CDs.
After inflation and taxes that guaranties a loss. That's about as interesting a true Boglehead discussion gets.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am

There are a relatively small, finite, interesting and valuable questions to be raised regarding investing. The bottom line is that investing is quite easy, at least if one subscribes to the basic tenets commonplace among those who frequent this forum. And many questions just don't have "correct answers", and can be debated ad infinitum without resolution.

Discussion of the important questions has been largely exhausted over time. There is not a lot more to be said about them that has not been said. Much of what is left is nitpicking. What more can one add about whether bonds are safe in today's environment, whether or not to tilt, CDs vs bonds, optimal AA, risk of stocks over time, optimal international exposure, etc? Yet they keep resurfacing.

The forum is an invaluable resource for those new to investing or to the "Boglehead" approach.

And when one has a specific question or concern, this forum is an excellent resource to mine intelligent responses.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toons

Re: Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?

Post by Toons » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 pm
Not to inflate anyone's ego, but I still find posts by names such as SimpleGift (always seem to be interesting research (s)he's doing, and subsequent discussion is stimulating), bobcat2 (I enjoy his discussions of liability-matching), willthrill81(an advocate of 100% equities), and Toons (seems to have a similarly simple outlook on money as me), among a few others, to be valuable. I almost never agree 100%, but I do get to thinking. I tend to look for threads started by them or for responses from them.
bottlecap wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

On the other hand, I find myself moving closer and closer to a one fund strategy (like a target retirement fund), so the posts about how people plan to squeeze a few more basis points out with a complicated allocation is starting to seem trivial and boring. So that could be part of it, too.
+1, and that's why my clicks have dropped significantly. It's not the fault of the board. I think I've come to a point where I'm done with the heavy-lifting of planning, and I've moved into the long, slow grind of working out the plan.
Texan,
Thanks Kindly,
Keep On Keeping On With Your Plan,
The Majesty of Simplicity :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am
midareff wrote:
After inflation and taxes that guaranties a loss. That's about as interesting a true Boglehead discussion gets.
Not necessarily. In my tax bracket for instance the post tax yield on direct CDs is higher than the 10-year breakeven inflation rate (what e market expects).
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

I remember when I first started my investing plan I had many questions which I posted here. It was fun posting the questions and seeing the responses. It helped me formulate a plan which I stick to even today. It isn't the forum itself that is less interesting -- but your interest in the forum.

I haven't been posting as much for the same reason, but I don't blame the forum. I blame my own interest. There are still many talented and knowledgeable people creating and responding to posts here.
Last edited by InvestorNewb on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

Many years ago I subscribed to Money mag, and later Worth Mag. I enjoyed them both but after a couple years it seems like I was reading the same thing over and over. Reason was I learned what I could as a beginner. Also as I leaned more toward indexing, reading analyses regarding the hot funds was of less interest. I've been on Bogleheads since it was on the Morningstar site. It is a great site. Many more people have found us. I like that more people are getting good investing advise as I'm familiar with advisers who do not always act in the customer's best interest. But in the old days I might need to read 10 or 15 comments on a topic of interest. Today, that same topic may have 30+ comments but I'm not sure I learn a lot more vs. when it was 15 comments. Small price to pay but more time consuming. The only other difference I see are the occasional tone of the comments. Asking someone if they took the time to read all the prior comments. Or just generally disagreeing in a tone they would not use in public, or not very often until they ran onto the wrong person on the other end. Overall, this is still the best site I visit by far.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am
Kenkat wrote:
Is the stock market ALWAYS guaranteed to go back up? I'll go with maybe not and it might be a good idea to think about what that might mean.
There are scores of market timing forums, this should not be one of them. Boglehead investing is boring because it is set in stone and doesn't change. It is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Sell US and buy EM? I don't think so.
I am not advocating market timing, I am saying everyone should put some thought into what it would mean to them if their portfolio dropped 25% or more and stayed there for 25 years. Would you be able to make ends meet?

I've had someone tell me that funds like small value index are guaranteed - guaranteed - to at least break even after 10 years. When I said "I've got some bad news, there's no guarantee", I was told "if you think that, you shouldn't invest in it".

I hope you're right buddy...

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am

protagonist wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am
And when one has a specific question or concern, this forum is an excellent resource to mine intelligent responses.
For specific questions this site is the best, no agenda fiduciary like advice form the best. $500 an hour advice for FREE. That advice will be of no interest to 99% of the readers though. For someone in the business it must be very interesting.
Kenkat wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am
I am not advocating market timing, I am saying everyone should put some thought into what it would mean to them if their portfolio dropped 25% or more and stayed there for 25 years. Would you be able to make ends meet?
That's why one fills out this form for risk tolerance. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsInvQuestionnaire. Some should be 100% bonds, treasuries in extream cases. Anything less than short corporate bonds guaranties me a real loss.

edge

Post by edge » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 am

I think it means that you have achieved a level of knowledge in this space and can now spend time doing other things. That is the great thing about this investing approach. Once you set things up it does not consume much time.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 am

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am
Kenkat wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am
That's why one fills out this form for risk tolerance. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsInvQuestionnaire. Some should be 100% bonds, treasuries in extream cases. Anything less than short corporate bonds guaranties me a real loss.
If and when the shooting starts, that risk questionnaire will go right out the window for a fair portion of people. Not all, but definitely some.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am
However, I do think there is something important lost by not allowing comments/suggestions about the "investing implications" of possible future changes, such as tax or other regulatory changes.

Regardless of whether the "change" comes to pass, it would sometimes be helpful (for us, anyway), to have a better idea of "what *might* happen IF <such and such> was implemented.

That way, one could keep in mind that "this plan seems fine, but IF/in case of <such and such>, maybe we should also consider <this or that>, and maybe only do half of <such and such> or whatever...

The problem, obviously, is this could - or would? - degenerate into nasty political comments about whether <such and such> was prudent, legal, or whatever, and that would NOT be the point of the exercise of "what should we consider for the future just in case..."
I think some such discussions might be OK. However, I also understand the rationale for not allowing them, even aside from the basically inevitable devolution into heated political warfare. The rationale is that people might be drawn to act on these speculative discussions, even though based on history many laws/changes, even those that seem highly likely, never actually come to pass in the form discussed. e.g. there might today be a discussion on the possible impacts of currently on the table tax reform (larger standard deduction, loss of many other deductions, effective loss of home mortgage deduction). That could push people to take concrete financial actions. ** please don't discuss the substance of what I just wrote, for obvious reasons, it is just an example ** It is impossible to usefully have such a discussion without getting into the probability of it passing congress and the final form it will take, which is entirely speculative, and moreover is political in nature. So it is a fine line. On the other hand, discussions of the ACA/Obamacare have sometimes been allowed to proceed, even if they occasionally get into speculation about the future, as they are intimately tied to retirement planning...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 am

Da5id wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am
However, I do think there is something important lost by not allowing comments/suggestions about the "investing implications" of possible future changes, such as tax or other regulatory changes.

Regardless of whether the "change" comes to pass, it would sometimes be helpful (for us, anyway), to have a better idea of "what *might* happen IF <such and such> was implemented.

That way, one could keep in mind that "this plan seems fine, but IF/in case of <such and such>, maybe we should also consider <this or that>, and maybe only do half of <such and such> or whatever...

The problem, obviously, is this could - or would? - degenerate into nasty political comments about whether <such and such> was prudent, legal, or whatever, and that would NOT be the point of the exercise of "what should we consider for the future just in case..."
I think some such discussions might be OK. However, I also understand the rationale for not allowing them, even aside from the basically inevitable devolution into heated political warfare. The rationale is that people might be drawn to act on these speculative discussions, even though based on history many laws/changes, even those that seem highly likely, never actually come to pass in the form discussed. e.g. there might today be a discussion on the possible impacts of currently on the table tax reform (larger standard deduction, loss of many other deductions, effective loss of home mortgage deduction). That could push people to take concrete financial actions. ** please don't discuss the substance of what I just wrote, for obvious reasons, it is just an example ** It is impossible to usefully have such a discussion without getting into the probability of it passing congress and the final form it will take, which is entirely speculative, and moreover is political in nature. So it is a fine line. On the other hand, discussions of the ACA/Obamacare have sometimes been allowed to proceed, even if they occasionally get into speculation about the future, as they are intimately tied to retirement planning...
An example of prospective regulations that the Forum kindly allows to discuss are the future of the TSP withdrawal and conversion options. TSP stands for the Thrift Savings Plan, a 401(k) equivalent for the Federal employees and retirees. At this time, the TSP allows only 2 withdrawals from the plan, the second is the last one. For me, this poses an important issue because on one hand I want to stay in the TSP for as long as possible, and on the other hand I want to do Roth conversions in the next several years. Thus, I highly appreciate any heads-up about the TSP Board meetings and guesses about which way the regulations may go. Importantly: I am ultimately responsible for my decisions, and would never blame the Forum for "misleading" me into staying in or moving out of the TSP.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 am

OP:
My response to you is similar to the one that I used to give to my kids when they were young and used the "b" word.
If you are finding the forum less interesting then do something about it. What topics are of interest to you that you feel are worth discussing? Make some interesting thought-provoking posts or ask some interesting questions.
Think of it this way:
Its not what Bogleheads can do for you - its what you can do for Bogleheads.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 am

TREV H and nedsaid had some really good posts to learn from.
Last edited by selftalk on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am

scienceguy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm
I am posting this to see if others feel that way, and if so, what could be done....?
I don't think it's less interesting, rather that you've extracted the information you need and integrated it into your life. After that the need to spend a lot of time on this site decreases.

The impact of having spent time here doesn't go away. In fact as time goes on the principles espoused here increase their impact on your life continuously.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

I think it's worthwhile to keep track of one's activities in the Forum and the value one derives from it. Just in the past couple days I have learned several valuable things such as whether to buy a Business seat on Condor, whether to buy Business Class on Air Serbia and where to find its lounges, and that a BLU smartphone is a good value.

A bit earlier, I was wondering if I should keep looking for high-interest CD rates or get brokered CDs and "forget about it." A Forum discussion linking Mike Piper's http://obliviousinvestor.com/ blog was instrumental to my decision.

Yesterday I was contacted via PM by a Boglehead who wanted some information about one of my travels, which I have gladly provided. I enjoy sharing information even more so than getting it.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am

gkaplan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm
CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm
CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm
All I know is that said member replied to one of my posts after their last post of record here, and the post was removed by a moderator before I could read it. They have not posted anything since.
That happens, and then sometimes the poster exits, either temporarily or permanently, but without being escorted out. I liked jbolden1517's posts also.
I won't claim to be a big fan but he sure made the place more interesting.
Not for me.I zoomed past his posts.

Me too.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 am

midareff wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
Maybe it is time for PeteElm to make a return appearance!

In contrast, back on the old Morningstar forum, the time span covered the tech bubble and subsequent crash. It was truly a crazy time, with people making ridiculous gains - Janus Junction - arguing with those who said "this ain't gonna last" - subset of Diehard posters. Then 911 and wartime and there was lots to discuss. Similarly, the housing bubble and subsequent crash in 2008 and 2009 was an interesting time for investing, but then everything just went back up confirming the general belief that the stock market always recovers after a couple of years and all is well, children, all is well.

Will it last? Probably not. Is the stock market ALWAYS guaranteed to go back up? I'll go with maybe not and it might be a good idea to think about what that might mean.

I've done a bit if that this year. Moving more to stable value fund and higher interest cd's. Need to liability match until SS starts.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am
gkaplan wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm
All I know is that said member replied to one of my posts after their last post of record here, and the post was removed by a moderator before I could read it. They have not posted anything since.
That happens, and then sometimes the poster exits, either temporarily or permanently, but without being escorted out. I liked jbolden1517's posts also.

Me too.
I should probably clarify. I didn't like his posts as much as find them interesting for being outside of the echo chamber.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am

I found interest, I just learned if one applies for a credit increase online Citi may approve it without a hard pull on one's credit.

"May you live in interesting times." :shock:

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 am

My thoughts:

I like it that when a serious question is posed smart people come out of the woodwork and give very thoughtful informative responses. I learn so much.

I also really appreciate some of the personalities here because I usually get a good laugh. Some people here really crack me up. So that's good.

If you really think about it, boring is probably better than drama and excitement when your talking about your finances.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am
Dottie57 wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:

That happens, and then sometimes the poster exits, either temporarily or permanently, but without being escorted out. I liked s posts also.

Me too.
I should probably clarify. I didn't like his posts as much as find them interesting for being outside of the echo chamber.
I have not noticed jbolden1517' until his name came up in this thread. I have superficially checked out some of his messages and thought that they were very eloquent and logical. I enjoy well-written posts and will be paying attention to jbolden1517 if he returns.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:03 am

CantPassAgain wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am
Bigbonds wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm
I agree. This place is a very tight sandbox and there are a ton of investing related topics that could have a major impact on all bogleheads that you're not even allowed to discuss(the federal reserve, for a mild example). Members with different opinions from the norm are not tolerated and often have topics locked and are banned in record time. There is only so far you can go in an environment like this. The only topics that are even mildly interesting is domestic versus international or swr, but even those get locked and old. Echo chamber is the best way to describe it.
There has got to be a line. When more and more people arrive who clearly have no interest in passive indexing and spend all of their energies in trying to disparage the Boglehead philosophy, it is probably just as well some of those folks are shown the door. As another poster mentioned upthread, this place isn't Seeking Alpha. Or Reddit, or Morningstar. It's Bogleheads.org.

If anything, I think the moderation here is pretty tolerant of other views, as long as those views don't take over the forum. It's not about being closed minded or not wanting to learn or stupidity, it's about a difference in philosophy than cannot be resolved.
Yes, there must be a line and I think overall it's been drawn reasonably and openly by this forum's policies and enforced fairly by the moderators. There will always be new posters who come here not to sincerely discuss investing, but intending to run down passive investing and the Bogleheads who represent it. It sometimes takes awhile before that intention becomes clear, but when it does, we have the policies and moderation to properly deal with it.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am
I have not noticed jbolden1517' until his name was brought up in this thread. I have superficially checked out some of his messages and thought that he was a very eloquent and logical poster. I enjoy well-written posts and might follow him if he returns.
I think some of his posts vanished. I thought his posts were kind of interesting, but I also thought he was overselling his case and overly verbose and forceful. Not sure exactly what happened.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:14 am

Not sure I find it less interesting, but certainly much is repetitive as there are always newbies wanting to learn and old discussions (such as tilting, whether to hold international/EM, the best withdrawal methods, etc.) that will never reach resolution.

Still, there are new ideas that are considered canon to the Boglehead way, but they seem to me to pop up less often these days. That alone still has me poking my head in a couple of times a day, so that I don't miss anything. :D And sometimes there are new ideas that aren't canon which I always find myself attracted to as well as I'm a firm believer in the "many roads to Dublin" idea, even when it's not strictly a bogleheads approach.

Being an engineer, I'm especially thankful for those with an analytical approach to things and for all of the work they've done here! :sharebeer

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am
Dottie57 wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
CantPassAgain wrote:

Me too.
I have not noticed jbolden1517' until his name came up in this thread. I have superficially checked out some of his messages and thought that they were very eloquent and logical. I enjoy well-written posts and will be paying attention to jbolden1517 if he returns.

Victoria
I did enjoy jbolden1517's posts too. It would be interesting to know more about his background, he did seem knowledgeable. I did press him on a few issues and he seemed to have plausible answers. There was a discussion about indexing in itself distorting the markets, he made some interesting points but his evidence seemed thin on a couple of his arguments. That is hardly the unforgivable sin, his posts on float manipulation were interesting. Has he worked in the industry?

Rx4investing was another interesting poster. Agreed or had sympathy with some of his broader points, I did press him on some specific items. Told him where I agreed with him and also told him where I disagreed with him and why. I was probably too harsh on him and I hoped that I didn't chase him away. Pretty much my disagreement was my belief that markets are dynamic and my skepticism of rigid investment formulas. He did add to the discussion and brought up some contrary views for people to consider.

Maynard F. Speer, a Brit, wrote some interesting posts about hedge funds. It seemed that there was better availability for such products in U.K. than over here. Maynard made favorable comments about some such funds that were available in U.K. I know he and Larry Swedroe got into it, Larry thought it was all hogwash. I really enjoyed Maynard, his views were contrary but he was intelligent and his posts well reasoned.

Of course, I miss Larry Swedroe a lot here. It was a pleasure interacting with him in discussions in the forum. He was in some quarters controversial here. I sure found that out.

I miss the lively discussions, I remember a couple of Swedroe vs. Ferri shoot-outs at the O.K. Corral over commodities and another one over the definition of beta. Of course, Rick Ferri got the ultimate badge of honor when he was informed that he didn't know what he was talking about. Ah, those were the days. Sort of like watching professional wrestling.

We should take note of the contrary voices here on the forum as they do add spice to the discussion.
A bit of Yankees vs. Red Sox does make things interesting.
A fool and his money are good for business.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

jadedfalcons wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm
:D I always thought that it was because when the threads started to get interesting, Ladygeek would swoop in and lock them up.
This, exactly. :sharebeer

I always do a Control+F search on LadyGeek's name when I come here just to find the threads that have been locked, as they are almost always the most interesting these days.

To the OP - I have had similar thoughts over the past several months especially, and have posted much less frequently here myself lately. With the departure of Swedroe and Ferri especially, all of the topics here now are simply regurgitations of the same things that have been discussed a thousand times before. When the rare thread comes up that may challenge the conventional thinking on all the usual topics, those threads almost always get locked pretty quickly. Which is why I do my search as noted above, in the hopes of finding something more interesting to read here these days. :D

I do appreciate all the work that the moderators do here; however, as others have noted this forum seems to have largely become an echo chamber that is so highly regulated as to make it highly boring for those of us who have been around for a while.

And interestingly, while topics such as economic theory, federal reserve policy, and so forth are banned topics (yet are very relevant to investing), topics like this one will live on for multiple pages. :wink:

With all of that said, I am forever grateful to the BH community for all that I have learned here and often share many of the philosophies espoused here with my friends and family, when the opportunity presents itself.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

Really miss sscritic's posts and sometimes well deserved poke in the eye when I got the facts messed up. I also miss the poll/survey option, as it occasionally brought out surprising thoughts and tendencies. Overall I find the bh forum to be somewhat less interesting these days although as of now I have not cut back on perusing.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

nedsaid wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am
A bit of Yankees vs. Red Sox does make things interesting.
True because, in fact, Yankees suck :)

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:48 am

A lot of "interesting" posters quit posting when their predictions turned out to be wildly wrong. This place isn't like the news media where you can make 15 wrong predictions, still get invited back on the show, and then blindly taken seriously.

Me, I know that I don't know anything. So I don't make predictions or pontificate about arcane and complex theories of investing.

And so I'm boring. But I've gotten pretty rich (by my standards) by being boring when it comes to investing.

Thanks Bogleheads!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am

One last thought.

This place will get interesting again the next time we have a huge crash. Not if, when. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 5 years. Are you ready for either case?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am
One last thought.

This place will get interesting again the next time we have a huge crash. Not if, when. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 5 years. Are you ready for either case?
Tomorrow is a Saturday and Monday is a holiday. I am not ready for a crash until Tuesday.

Victoria

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm

nedsaid wrote:

Maynard F. Speer, a Brit, wrote some interesting posts about hedge funds...... I really enjoyed Maynard, his views were contrary but he was intelligent and his posts well reasoned.
+1. I found myself reading a lot of his posts and supporting a lot of his thoughts, especially when he was trying to explain to the BH's that the "market" actually goes far beyond the Total Stock, Total Int'l, and Total Bond indexes (he's right). Whether that's important enough to implement into your own investing plan is a separate question (and a good one), but (IIRC) it did seem like he was often attacked by some posters without much critical thinking about what he was saying.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 pm

nedsaid wrote:
We should take note of the contrary voices here on the forum as they do add spice to the discussion.
Those posts get into charts and formulas that I find totally uninteresting and an unBoglehead; they scare the newbies into the arms of the Edward Jones. Maybe that is their intention.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm

hornet96 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

I always do a Control+F search on LadyGeek's name when I come here just to find the threads that have been locked, as they are almost always the most interesting these days.
Isn't it disappointing when you click on a thread only to see LadyGeek's comment was not, "This thread has run its course and is locked," but rather, "Thread moved to the Personal Consumer Issues forum (lubricants)"?
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:08 pm

saltycaper wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm
hornet96 wrote:

Isn't it disappointing when you click on a thread only to see LadyGeek's comment was not, "This thread has run its course and is locked," but rather, "Thread moved to the Personal Consumer Issues forum (lubricants)"?
Lol. Indeed. :sharebeer

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm

nedsaid wrote:

<snip>

<snip>
For me, the contrary voices (as long as they are polite, etc.) do more than add spice, sometimes.

In some cases, they make me think a bit more about something, and occasionally I'll start looking up some new ideas/terms, or if not new, at least to refresh my memory/details.

And then, if the post if "good" (my definition, of course), then I'll do some more thinking.
Then, I'll either continue as is, or in many cases, pay more attention to some other theory/event/thing, and sometimes just "watch" to see if it all unwinds as predicted or such.

If I don't like the idea/post, I can just move along.
There is already too much to read/do to fit into 24 hours per day, along with some sleeping.

One doesn't learn (or learns less) if one never confronts other approaches/ways of thinking.
What really matters is that the discourse remain civil, regardless of perspective.
I can do without some of the spice... which I prefer in a nice pumpkin pie :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Those posts get into charts and formulas that I find totally uninteresting and an unBoglehead; they scare the newbies into the arms of the Edward Jones. Maybe that is their intention.
Inadequate knowledge is what drives people into the arms of Edward Jones, not more knowledge.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:18 pm

saltycaper wrote:
hornet96 wrote:

That's why I just look for the little padlock by the thread title, which works for anything other than threads (like the recent "companies you avoid" thread) that evaporate into thin air.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm

saltycaper wrote:
hornet96 wrote:
LadyGeek's record is more consistent than that of any alternative, or traditional, investments. Knowing what to expect is a huge value of this Forum. If the moderators played favorites, the discontent would be far greater than boredom reported by the OP.

Victoria

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I have read these boards almost daily for about 6 years. To the extent that the conversation has become less interesting, it is likely because:

(a) my own interests have narrowed as my path becomes clearer;

(b) my knowledge has increased such that certain topics no longer draw my attention;

(c) posts with novel, robust, in-depth analysis of various aspects of "conventional investing wisdom" have become less frequent (I'm thinking here of posts initiated by members such as Trevor H, nisiprius, rick ferri, Larry Swedroe -- to name a few)

That said, I still consider this board to be the preeminent investing discussion forum on the internet, and I have never yet considered reducing or stopping my ~daily forays into these boards.

Thanks to all of you for making Bogleheads such an invaluable resource! :sharebeer

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Overall I think Bogleheads.org is a civil, enlightening and well-moderated forum, and I am glad I found it. I am drawn to smart people, and I enjoy many of the conversations that take place here, especially when it prompts me to more closely examine my position on a subject, or encourages further reading and research. With investing I have found the act of it makes for a poor hobby for me, but the study of it is an enjoyable one. There are also a good number of members that are willing to kindly and patiently answer the same questions repeatedly, and I don’t think the value of this can be understated.

Having been a part of several “common interest” types of forums in the past, I would say that the challenges (for lack of a better word) this forum faces are no different and generally lesser in nature compared to others – i.e. repetition of topics, new posters not reading in advance of asking questions, etc. Some of the similarities I’ve noticed in comparison to forums of other topics have been rather amusing. For example, I used to frequent a very well-known workout/fitness forum some years ago, and they basically had their workout version of a three-fund portfolio, complete with their own guru and supporting books. “Yep, a few basic lifts are enough – no point in having some complicated workout plan that you found in a bodybuilding magazine. Nope, you don’t need a personal trainer – all you need is a squat rack, bench and bar.” The more I think about it the funnier the parallels are to me.

A few other random thoughts:

--I think there are some terms bantered about by folks that don’t really understand what they mean. Phrases like “wisdom of the market” and “reversion to the mean” come to mind.

--There is a slice of dogmatic/militant thinking around here that verges on ridiculous, but that’s the case with most common interest forums. There’s always going to be the hardcore, “it always has to be this way” contingent. Still, it bears mentioning that not everyone is going to be interested in taking the most extreme approach imaginable when dealing with their dilemma.

--While it’s true that one person’s inanity is another’s important life decision, there truly are some mind-numbing topics in the consumer issues section. In some cases they are created by the same member, so I make it habit to simply not click on topics created by a certain username. I tend to agree with those that point out we have a choice as to whether we read or scroll past a post/topic that doesn’t interest us.

--Along those same lines, I don’t understand why some people choose to respond to a thread on a particular topic simply to state their disinterest in that topic. For example, someone starts a thread about recommendations on a new whiskey to try, and another member responds to inform us they don’t drink alcohol and don’t know why anyone else would. Or when someone asks for a TV show recommendation and someone responds with “I don’t watch TV.” It’s a completely useless response when the member could have simply moved on, and I do wish that sort of thing were moderated more often.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:48 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:18 pm

That's why I just look for the little padlock by the thread title, which works for anything other than threads (like the recent "companies you avoid" thread) that evaporate into thin air.
I'm a main-page reader, so no padlocks visible.

(I'm not sure how I got to be a main-page reader. When I first came to this forum and saw the main page, it made my eyes hurt. Now I can't do without it.)

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm

LadyGeek's record is more consistent than that of any alternative, or traditional, investments. Knowing what to expect is a huge value of this Forum. If the moderators played favorites, the discontent would be far greater than boredom reported by the OP.

Victoria
I agree. I was just confabbing with hornet about a potential disappointment one might experience while engaging in thrill-seeking behavior within this walled garden of civility.