[Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
scienceguy

[Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Post by scienceguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm

I joined this forum about three years ago when my wife got a significant inheritance and we were trying to figure out what to do with it. I found it to be an invaluable resource, and I probably check the site a few times a week to check the posts, occasionally comment and/or start a new thread. I have always enjoyed reading the posts, despite the fact that ~50% are always about the same thing - "why do I need bonds," "how much international," and "should I tilt?" However, even those repetitive topics are generally interesting in some way.

However, I have found over the past year that I just do not find the topics or comments all that interesting. It is possible that I have just "mastered" the Bogelhead way, but I really don't think that's it. I am afraid that the level of discourse has just dropped. I think the departure of Larry Swedroe maybe six months ago was a big loss, and I feel like I don't see posts from people who were sort of the "intellectual giants" of Bogelheads like I used to. I'm not sure their names, but I know them when I see them.

I am posting this to see if others feel that way, and if so, what could be done....?

scienceguy

Re: Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?

Post by scienceguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Actually let me modify that slightly - there still are some intellectual giants who are very helpful (just read a post from bsteiner and livesoft, as examples). But somehow it just doesn't feel the same. The useful comments are now more along the lines of practical advice and product/travel recommendations rather than investing theory.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 pm

I suspect it is not that anyone has mastered the Boglehead philosophy, but it is probable that you have mastered the basics and can figure out answers to questions yourself to a greater degree than previously. My posts tend to be more on topics of a general nature more than in the past, but the forum is wonderful in answering other questions now as well as in the past in my opinion.

Tim

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm

I see what you mean. Many comments seem to be of the nitpicky persuasion like "It's spelled Bogleheads, not Bogelheads" as in:

Your post should be titled, "Is Bogleheads getting less interesting?" not "Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?". That kind of thing.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Gill

Re: Is Bogelheads (sic) getting less interesting?

Post by Gill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:43 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm
I see what you mean. Many comments seem to be of the nitpicky persuasion like "It's spelled Bogleheads, not Bogelheads" as in:

Your post should be titled, "Is Bogleheads getting less interesting?" not "Is Bogelheads getting less interesting?". That kind of thing.
:sharebeer
Last edited by Gill on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Or perhaps "Are Bogleheads getting less interesting?"

:)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

I can see your point. Perhaps it is less interesting because of the loss of a few key members.

On the other hand, I find myself moving closer and closer to a one fund strategy (like a target retirement fund), so the posts about how people plan to squeeze a few more basis points out with a complicated allocation is starting to seem trivial and boring. So that could be part of it, too.

I've also taken note of late of a lot of posts that are about trivial things that really come down to personal preference. Is [spending/buying] this worth it? Should I cancel this over a very small increase in price? Should I buy/rent a place with a smaller kitchen or bigger bedroom? These are basically decisions that are trivial or that we used to make on our own. I'm not against people asking stuff like that, but it does bring the level of conversation down to bickering over personal tastes.

Good luck,

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 pm

As more and more people find Bogleheads, there is some repetition. That is to be expected.

I don't find it less interesting. I learn a little something from most threads. I do know that the more I know about everything, the less I know. I'm not even sure of that.

Something that we try to make simple and boring may end up being just that.

Have you gotten the little pop up message "Congratulations. You have finished the Bogleheads."?

It reminds me of an old commercial where a guy is surfing the web and a pop up comes up "You have finished the internet". Something like that. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uXtWIg_A7M

I still can't figure out a small cap value tilt. I'm also debt free except for the mortgage, my car loan and some student loans.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

soupcxan

Post by soupcxan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

I agree with you.

There seems to be more off topic posts than years past. Things like "What books/TV shows/movies/foods do you like?" and "Recommendations needed for garbage bags". Which would be fine, if there was an off-topic board so I could filter them out.

Many other questions that are somewhat on topic get posted which could literally be answered by the first google search result. http://www.lmgtfy.com

And then there are the humblebrag posts such as "I'm 28 and I make $300k/year and I have $2.5M at Vanguard, am I behind???"

So it does seem the signal-to-noise ratio is decreasing.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Many people come here to get answers. Once they get the knowledge they need over a span of time, they may find the forum less engaging and drift away. Some may stick around and continue to read and comment.

I keep an eye out for topics that I'm still preparing for (e.g., RMDs and QCDs, taxes in retirement) to see how those discussions progress and what I might learn. And I may enter a conversation where I have had a similar issue and might be able to offer some input.

Frankly, many/most of the discussions can be pretty predictable. "I'm not a market timer, but I'm thinking that with the stock market at historic highs, maybe I should ...." You know the rest. There are only so many different questions one can ask about personal finance. Newcomers are likely to find the site more interesting than long-time readers.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Personally, I never was interesting.

Luckily though, my wife sometimes finds me useful to have around the house.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm

CWhea1775 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:45 pm
Or perhaps "Are Bogleheads getting less interesting?"

:)
No, it's singular. :happy
Gill

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 pm

Not to inflate anyone's ego, but I still find posts by names such as SimpleGift (always seem to be interesting research (s)he's doing, and subsequent discussion is stimulating), bobcat2 (I enjoy his discussions of liability-matching), willthrill81(an advocate of 100% equities), and Toons (seems to have a similarly simple outlook on money as me), among a few others, to be valuable. I almost never agree 100%, but I do get to thinking. I tend to look for threads started by them or for responses from them.
bottlecap wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

On the other hand, I find myself moving closer and closer to a one fund strategy (like a target retirement fund), so the posts about how people plan to squeeze a few more basis points out with a complicated allocation is starting to seem trivial and boring. So that could be part of it, too.
+1, and that's why my clicks have dropped significantly. It's not the fault of the board. I think I've come to a point where I'm done with the heavy-lifting of planning, and I've moved into the long, slow grind of working out the plan.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:11 pm

Come for the investment plan, stay for the $5000 watch threads.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:20 pm

I mean, where else can you find fresh takes on the value of international in your portfolio :)

I think it is the nature of this forum to become less interesting to some over time, lots of repetition.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 pm
Not to inflate anyone's ego, but I still find posts by names such as SimpleGift (always seem to be interesting research (s)he's doing, and subsequent discussion is stimulating), bobcat2 (I enjoy his discussions of liability-matching)...
I am pleased that you have mentioned bobcat2. His discussions of liability-matching are much more relevant to the Bogleheads asset preservation strategies than speculative topics of alphas, betas, tilting, and alike.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

celia

Post by celia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:27 pm

I agree that there are a lot of consumer and travel posts that just don't interest me. But I hang around to help others rather than ask others for help. After you've solved the original problem for which you came here, don't you feel obligated to "pay it forard" by helping a few other people? And if you've answered the same question 3 times or more, can you somehow integrate that concept into a wiki page? This forum can continue to run only if it has members who are willing to do what someone has done for them.

After all, it doesn't take long before you are out of the newbie category.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Personally, I agree. I still come on here frequent, but I find it pretty boring in general. Some of it seems to be the same old stuff that just gets rehashed. In those threads it is already known what the outcomes is going to be. I am not sure if anyone has ever really changed their stance so it seems a bit waste of time even posting as everyone by now knows each other stances. It just becomes a bit of groundhog day over and over again.

I mentioned a couple of years ago that it would be interesting to do a "journal club". Pick a recent article and give everyone a few days to read it and then start talking about it. No one seemed interested at the time.

Maybe its just me.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:11 pm
+1 haha well said!

I think it is the nature of many things, the more you frequent it, the less novel it becomes. That's where the theoretical academic debates can become the "new interest", but also why they are potentially dangerous as a distraction to divert one over time from their initial simple/sound plan.

:beer

Also, I'm a huge fan of Toons posts!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I know! I know! We just need another crash to make this forum more interesting again... :twisted:

In all seriousness, to this day I'm still thankful this forum helped me keep my head through 2008-9. Of course some of the same basic Bogleheads 101 topics over and over get repetitive, but I'm glad new people are becoming familiar with them, and I only click on those types of threads when I see value in a refresher read. At least the subject ines of those threads usually are sufficient to identify them before clicking.

The forum is often where I first hear about expense ratios going even lower or changes in popular software or online services. I do miss the differing points of view between Rick and Larry on the some of the finer points of Boglehead investing, but there's still enough here to keep me checking it every few days.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm
Personally, I agree. I still come on here frequent, but I find it pretty boring in general. Some of it seems to be the same old stuff that just gets rehashed. In those threads it is already known what the outcomes is going to be. I am not sure if anyone has ever really changed their stance so it seems a bit waste of time even posting as everyone by now knows each other stances. It just becomes a bit of groundhog day over and over again.

I mentioned a couple of years ago that it would be interesting to do a "journal club". Pick a recent article and give everyone a few days to read it and then start talking about it. No one seemed interested at the time.

Maybe its just me.

Good luck.
You may be correct for the non-newbies.

But there are lots of newbies who keep showing up, and I daresay most of us were one, once :wink:

So there is almost by definition likely to be a rehashing of lots of "stuff".

And if we were to try something like a separate "Advanced Bogleheads" forum, well... that probably wouldn't fit many of us in terms of all of the different categories (asset allocation, life insurance, home purchase, car buying... and the ever eventful "annuities" confusion...)

The best thing is to pick and choose.

Also, many of the "less related" topics are (or should be?) in the "Consumer" sub-forum, so one can totally screen those out if desired, if one doesn't need the kindness of strangers to help select and price toilet paper.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm

True Boglehead investing is not difficult to learn and then no thought is required. I still find it interesting when posters show their Edward Jones portfolio. It keeps it real.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Maybe it’s because a number of the questions have been asked previously. After all it has been ten years since the Forum inception (even longer if you consider the old Diehards hangout at Morningstar). More than 213,000 topics have been posted thus far. Just today “livesoft” responded to a question concerning the Wellington & Wellesley funds. He linked 5 nearly identical topic questions on the subject.

Having said all that the Bogleheads.org screen is the first one I open in the morning. I leave it open all day and come back and hit the refresh button several times throughout the day. You never know when you're going to learn something new. 8-)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Reality is what most people view as unique to their circumstances is really pretty common.

Am I buying too much house?
Do I need 20% or 30% international?
100, 110, or 120 - age in bonds?
Should I tilt to small value?
What should I do with my windfall?
Should I get out of the market while it's high?
Should I wait to get into the market until after it crashes?

All of this is pretty repetitious. The benefit of this forum is you have a group of relatively like minded people--interested in money--to talk to. Most people when face to face don't want to talk about money. It's just that money happens to be the most interesting thing for me to yap about! And also you have some pretty bigwigs here who can give some good advice to us mere mortals :D

If you don't need any of that maybe you've outgrown the forum! Nothing wrong with that. I used to be very active on the MMM forums but that got old after a while and I stopped posting/reading there. Perhaps you need a new guilty pleasure?

goingup

Post by goingup » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Maybe it has become less interesting. Any group is a constellation of its stars. I have noted the absence of posters such as...Rick Ferri, chaz, Gummy, LBill, Petrocelli, Adrian Nevu, Ole Meph, Laura, Trev H. These folks added their unique personalities to the place. Anyone remember Uncle Clemick, hehehe? I never miss Hocus, though (different board, different time).

Anyways, it's a sideways market in August and there's nothing much going on. Stay tuned for October--autumnal excitement ahead! Hopefully livesoft and Nisiprius will return in force.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm

On the one hand, perhaps the forum seems less interesting because the questions might not be as personally relevant to the O.P.

On the other hand, with the departure of some of the financial giants on this site, perhaps the forum seems more "dumbed down," with more pedestrian folks (like myself) asking endless consumer questions. : )

I read the Bogleheads forum frequently--too frequently, I think, as I constantly refresh the page. I simply scroll down and sift through the topics that I find interesting or personally relevant, or else go to the threads that I feel I might possibly contribute. I skip the other threads. I personally enjoy many of the consumer questions--and have posed some myself. Regardless of topic, I always find some pearls of wisdom in the posts--consumer-related or not. The different experiences of investors and consumers are very valuable, as those experiences either reinforce what I have believed or have experienced, or else they guide me in what is hopefully a better direction.
Last edited by General Disarray on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

General Disarray wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm
On the one hand, perhaps the forum seems less interesting because the questions might not be as personally relevant to the O.P.
I agree. The advice on this forum is the best one can get but after the basics it becomes relevant to only the poster.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Stocks aren't in free fall everyday.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm

knpstr wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Also, I'm a huge fan of Toons posts!
me too!

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm

I was pondering the same question.

It might be that Bogleheads is a victim of it's own success.

Back in 2007 (and before that with the Diehards) it seems the flavor of the forum involved more folks who were approaching or in retirement. As we've grown in size, the age profile of the Bogleheads is much wider.

A younger member may not be as interested in great detail or depth on retirement issues. The older members may not be as interested in how to build a portfolio or other matters that interest the younger investor.

I used to scroll through the entire index many years ago and read most posts. Today, I'm much more selective in which posts I click on. It's probably not fair.

P.S. I know that the older I get, my attention span and patience get much shorter. I seem to avoid the longer responses. I may be missing out on very meaty discussions, but there it is. :(

P.P.S. I really miss Larry and Rick. I would rarely pass up their posts.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Are the Bogleheads] getting less interesting?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:24 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm

I took a stab at the thread title.

The wiki has some background info: The Bogleheads®
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MrDrinkingWater

Post by MrDrinkingWater » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

I wouldn't say Bogleheads is getting less interesting.

I suggest that members who are impatient with looking at an unsorted list of new posts might make better use of the two different search tools and the notification tool, as well as the quick links. That might be the best way for them to filter out questions about home repair or cooking that they'd rather not see.

I believe the advanced users may make better use of search and notifications to filter information to review. I admire the patience usually demonstrated to newer users and the kindness most members demonstrate by posting a link to a previous question on the same subject. This is what most of us do. A small cadre of users are very fast at doing it. Some of us log in less frequently and find that a lot of that effort at providing information has already been done.

I think that Bogleheads has become an institution (for the better) where it is pleasant to ask questions and have a positive interaction with others. This isn't so true on some other forums and groups.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:24 pm

The wiki has some background info: The Bogleheads®
Say no more, a wink is as good as a nod to a blind man.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm

One other thing (serious, not snarky)...Bogleheads is what we make of it. If it's less interesting to you, what can you offer to make it more interesting?

Ask not what your Bogleheads can do for you, but what you can do for your Bogleheads.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm

It is true that this community has matured and just about everything has been discussed before. The recent coyote thread follows at least one or two previous coyote threads.

I also wonder if the Houston poster is still worried about the chamber bitter weed in their grass?
viewtopic.php?t=226026 but if so, post again and I will advise how to get rid of it. Indeed, I did several experiments on weeds this summer and have lots to report.

I have also noticed that this forum has become what I imagine Facebook is like. I guess that many posters are not registered at any other social media site, so why not ask about non-financial issues here?

But I am guilty, too --- after all, I tried to liven things up here today and get people dancing with some Talking Heads tunes.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
Same as it ever was.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm
It is true that this community has matured and just about everything has been discussed before. The recent coyote thread follows at least one or two previous coyote threads.

I also wonder if the Houston poster is still worried about the chamber bitter weed in their grass?
viewtopic.php?t=226026 but if so, post again and I will advise how to get rid of it. Indeed, I did several experiments on weeds this summer and have lots to report.

I have also noticed that this forum has become what I imagine Facebook is like. I guess that many posters are not registered at any other social media site, so why not ask about non-financial issues here?

But I am guilty, too --- after all, I tried to liven things up here today and get people dancing with some Talking Heads tunes.
If facebook were like bogleheads I might actually use facebook more. I assure you, my generation uses facebook in a far more inane manner.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 pm

What's facebook?
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:55 pm

I, for one, am particularly glad these boards are so well and tightly moderated. When I really got interested in this stuff years ago I started with the Retire Early Home Page. It was initially a site run by John Greaney (AKA intercst) and then it migrated to The Motley Fool. It was really a great board for a while with lots of good info, much of which was very Bogleheadish. Then as the repetition of topics set in it became very political and snarky, perhaps because posters had run out of substantive financial things to say. It was eventually hi-jacked by posters of a particular political persuasion and lost any value as a source for aspiring early retirees. Even if this site gets repetitive at times, it is orders of magnitude better than what the REHP became and that is due, in no small part, to the discipline promoted and enforced by the moderators.
Friar1610

1year23

Post by 1year23 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Boy, do I ever disagree. The more I read, the more I realize I don't know. Some of the answers are so nuanced that I even take notes as I read. If I ever do find myself bored, I will be so grateful that you have all taught me so much andI will try to repay by teaching others and posting more answers rather than questions. In addition to the financial topics, I personally love the lifestyle topics because it adds variety to other subjects that tend to be important but dry. My feeling is that's why laptops have a scroll pad, if you aren't interested just scroll on until you find what you came for!!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:04 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:11 pm
you mean the $9000 couch.... :happy
soupcxan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm
There seems to be more off topic posts..... Things like "What books/TV shows/movies/foods do you like?" and "Recommendations needed for garbage bags".
+1
soupcxan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm
And then there are the humblebrag posts such as "I'm 28 and I make $300k/year and I have $2.5M at Vanguard, am I behind???"
LOL + LOL + LOL = 3LOL

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm

scienceguy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:24 pm
I joined this forum about three years ago when my wife got a significant inheritance and we were trying to figure out what to do with it. I found it to be an invaluable resource, and I probably check the site a few times a week to check the posts, occasionally comment and/or start a new thread. I have always enjoyed reading the posts, despite the fact that ~50% are always about the same thing - "why do I need bonds," "how much international," and "should I tilt?" However, even those repetitive topics are generally interesting in some way.

However, I have found over the past year that I just do not find the topics or comments all that interesting. It is possible that I have just "mastered" the Bogelhead way, but I really don't think that's it. I am afraid that the level of discourse has just dropped. I think the departure of Larry Swedroe maybe six months ago was a big loss, and[b] I feel like I don't see posts from people who were sort of the "intellectual giants" of Bogelheads like I used to. I'm not sure their names, but I know them when I see them.

I am posting this to see if others feel that way, and if so, what could be done....?

Reading through this post and the one that followed, it seems you have narrowed the main reason for your disappointment to fewer posts by pro Bogleheads such as Larry and maybe Rick Ferri, or Bill Bernstein, Bill Schultheis, etc. If so, then I'm not sure what could be done.

Otherwise, no, I don't think the Bogleheads are getting less interesting, not as long as they can help people manage their money properly - and that they do every day.
Last edited by Fallible on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes, less interesting by magnitudes. It's starting to remind me of Seeking Alpha.

Makes me sad.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:56 pm

i disagree with the OP, BH is fine except for the comments about not buying something even if one can easily afford it. Cars in particular raise the ire of people.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 pm

I still really enjoy Bogleheads but I feel like I have noticed a few trends:
  • It seems like every month we have a "how much liability umbrella should I buy?" thread. I guess I just need to learn to ignore them.
  • It seems like at times the answers are less likely to answer the question and go off on tangents. There was a recent thread asking about the mechanics of buying a property in another country. The OP mentioned he would be doing it with a family member. The thread rapidly went from how to buy in that country to why not to buy in partnership with family members. Probably a good warning but not sure we need it on every thread.
  • There seem to be less of the really interesting (unique) posts like "help me figure out this noise in my attic" which I can't recall if it was ever resolved. And no Munchkin man as of late.... :(
Lest I sound critical, I generally check the forum several times every day. I really appreciate the work the moderators do to keep it civil and on topic. Bogleheads is so much better than many other discussion groups.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm

goingup wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm
Maybe it has become less interesting. Any group is a constellation of its stars. I have noted the absence of posters such as...Rick Ferri, chaz, Gummy, LBill, Petrocelli, Adrian Nevu, Ole Meph, Laura, Trev H. These folks added their unique personalities to the place. Anyone remember Uncle Clemick, hehehe? I never miss Hocus, though (different board, different time).

Anyways, it's a sideways market in August and there's nothing much going on. Stay tuned for October--autumnal excitement ahead! Hopefully livesoft and Nisiprius will return in force.
I can address the whereabouts of some of your MIAs.

Rick retired and is taking a hiatus as he and his wife play vagabond and travel around the country in a camper. He'll be back posting at some future point in time.

Sadly, Ole Meph passed away.

Laura (the Queen of the Bogleheads and co-author of The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning) is now the US Ambassador to Nicaragua and, as such, is not allowed to post in public forums like this. However, she's still an important part of the Bogleheads Community and will be attending our 2017 Bogleheads Conference.

TrevH still posts his monthly updates on various portfolio performances.

livesoft and Nisiprius still post on a regular basis.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:08 pm

I, too, miss some posters who have outright left or just faded away. Fresh topics or just new ways to think about old topics provided much intellectual stimulation. I do find it easier to predict what will be said in a thread before I even open it, and though I think that mostly comes from having been around for a while, it would be nice if it were not so easy to mistake some responses for chatbots.

I'm starting to find the more outrageous consumer-related posts and humble-brags entertaining, but I look forward to the end of summer and the next bear market to add some spice to this bland dish of late.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm

In the old days back over on the old Morningstar forum, there was much less moderation and so you'd get the occasional bar fight that would add interest; I mean, I probably threw a few jabs that in retrospect I am less than proud of, so I have come to appreciate the well moderated forum that Bogleheads is. I think some of the posters on the old Morningstar forum genuinely disliked one another while this is a much more collegial group overall.

In short, you've got to be a little on the boring side to have a good forum.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:51 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 pm
Not to inflate anyone's ego, but I still find posts by names such as SimpleGift (always seem to be interesting research (s)he's doing, and subsequent discussion is stimulating), bobcat2 (I enjoy his discussions of liability-matching)...
I am pleased that you have mentioned bobcat2. His discussions of liability-matching are much more relevant to the Bogleheads asset preservation strategies than speculative topics of alphas, betas, tilting, and alike.

Victoria
Agree, Victoria. I always like bobcat2's posts.

He did catch a lot of c**p in the threads on Funded Ratios though. Hope he stays around and continues to contribute. Different strokes for different folks people.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:58 pm

CaliJim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 pm
Personally, I never was interesting.
Me, too.

Thankfully some nice folks on the forum came up with a number of the answers I needed anyway.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm
True Boglehead investing is not difficult to learn and then no thought is required. I still find it interesting when posters show their Edward Jones portfolio. It keeps it real.
Or when a 30-something asks if they should keep the fixed index annuity that they are holding in their Roth.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius