Calling all JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA Bogleheads (Northeast Florida)

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
WolfgangPauli

Calling all JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA Bogleheads (Northeast Florida)

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Greetings: Earlier in the year i tried to get this going and had limited response. Recently I have received a number of emails so perhaps now that summer is closing we can get this going again.

Please contact me and I plan on setting up the first meeting right after labor day. Looking forward to getting the group moving!

Best...
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
fire5soon

Re: Calling all JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA Bogleheads (Northeast Florida)

Post by fire5soon »

I've always been curious what the discussions are like at chapter meetings. Do we all discuss holding TSM for 30 years and dismiss after 10 minutes or are they domestic vs. international brawls which require police intervention? 8-) I'm in the area and ask in all seriousness. Where are they held? What are the meetings typically like?

Thanks again.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WolfgangPauli wrote:Please contact me and I plan on setting up the first meeting right after labor day. Looking forward to getting the group moving!
fire5soon wrote:I've always been curious what the discussions are like at chapter meetings. Do we all discuss holding TSM for 30 years and dismiss after 10 minutes or are they domestic vs. international brawls which require police intervention? 8-) I'm in the area and ask in all seriousness. Where are they held? What are the meetings typically like?
Well I don't know what mischief the Jacksonville Area Bogleheads could come up with :shock: :wink: but here is how we do it in South Florida 8-)

South Florida Local Chapter

Look through the other local chapter threads and you'll get a good idea how the different chapters organize and prepare their agenda.

A nice overview is from Adrian Nenu, who was the local chapter coordinator for the Tampa Area for many years:
Adrian Nenu wrote:

Here's the way I manage the meetings:

- introductions: everyone introduces themselves and gives a bit of background info.

- first of all, I request that everyone who has questions and concerns to write them down and bring them up during the meeting so that the group's collective knowledge and experience might be used to solve them.

- I usually have a short presentation on some topic of current interest. I invite others to do the same.

- Sometimes I have a guest speaker on topics I am not that familiar with or simply another way to look at things. Very interesting and educational.

- No free chicken dinners** or open bar. Several of us usually go to dinner after the meeting.

I have yet to hear from anyone who attended these meetings that they were dissapointed or that they wasted their time. Guaranteed that you will be entertained, educated and get good replies to your questions. The last meeting I attended was arranged by Richard Woods who is the Orlando/Ocala area local coordinator. Rick Ferri was the guest speaker and we had a great time.

Adrian
*** note: South Florida Bogleheads eat well during our meetings on the theory it's easier to discuss finance on a happy stomach :D
Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait »

I live in Ponte Vedra and read the WSJ article today about Bogleheads.org. Have you been successful in getting the Jax Chapter running?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Let me know if you want to make your group official. If so, I'll add your group and contact info to the Locsl Chapter map.

PM me.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi