Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Post Reply
Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Here is the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018 - and what a great class it is :D

We have 74 graduates who are delighted to BE RETIRED - and now the only thing they have to worry about is Sequence of Returns risk :oops:

Our youngest retiree is noobogle (late 30's), then amp at 47. Our oldest retirees are TinyTim at 70 and blgaarder at 69 :beer

Our most senior retiree is wwhan, who joined this wonderful Bogleheads forum on March 4, 2007, less than 2 weeks after it formed as Bogleheads.org on Feb 19, 2007 :D Wwhan's portfolio is one awesome hunk :moneybag

Our Graduating Class - CONGRATULATIONS!! :sharebeer
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
15 Jan - wwhan (64)
15 Jan - hirlaw (62) <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
31 Jan - papahurls1 (64) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)

09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)

03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)

02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
30 Apr - SandysDad (52) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

18 May - remomnyc (52)
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE

01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30's)
01 Jun - not_slow_n_steady (60)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG

13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview

03 Aug - Sparky1500
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)

05 Sep - The Stone Wall
14 Sep - Griffkat (56)
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
28 Sep - TravelGeek
28 Sep - galawdawg
30 Sep - nova1968
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)

01 Oct - retirementbound
12 Oct - bayview (64)
12 Oct - PaHumbug
15 Oct - when i'm 64 (64)
26 Oct - treadingwater

01 Nov - 2pedals (59)
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
01 Nov - Derby (59)
15 Nov - Siglinde <<== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Nov - busdriver (65)
30 Nov - MnD (mid-50's)
30 Nov - WPauley (55)

01 Dec - BarbBrooklyn
04 Dec - metalworking
07 Dec - smithmmark
14 Dec - WestUniversity
14 Dec - PaunchyPirate
19 Dec - MarkDK (59)
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
21 Dec - Blanket Fort (51)
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog
31 Dec - jazman12
31 Dec - austin_hiker (60) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Our Roll Call is never closed - when it hits you that you really DID retire in 2018, please post your information and you'll be added to the roster 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
papahurls1
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 pm
Location: Strongsville, Ohio

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by papahurls1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 pm

I retired on 1/31/2018 and haven't looked back. I was 64 1/2 and my company made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.
I have hiked over 1,500 miles since that day and have done some section hiking on the Appalachian Trail.
I kind of wish that I moved my assets to BND in September, but am slowly recovering.
Papahurls1
Last edited by papahurls1 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papahurls1 - Everyday is Saturday!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 am

papahurls1 wrote: I retired on 1/31/2018 and haven't looked back. I was 64 1/2 and my company made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.
I have hiked over 1,500 miles since that day and have doe some section hiking on the Appalachian Trail.
I kind of wish that I move my assets to BND in September, but am slowly recovering.
Papahurls1
Hi papahurls1! Thank you for adding your Retired Self to the Class of 2018 Retirement Roll Call :happy

Nice to see your company giving you a great retirement send-off and now you can add it to your Retirement bucket :moneybag Ask a few Qs on our forum about your asset allocation and see what you can do with BND.

Meanwhile, that's VERY impressive to have hiked 1,500 miles since your R-day! Do you take photos of your journeys? Forum member Raybo rides his bicycle all over the world and then posts photos of his journey so we can all enjoy the journey (without the muscle aches, heh heh :wink: ) He even rode his bicycle to the Bogleheads Conference in Philadelphia one year. Perhaps you'll hike into the Conference next October :beer

austin_hiker
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by austin_hiker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Long time lurker around here, but only just registered a few days ago.
I retired 12/31/18 from Higher Ed, but am cheating by going back to part-time work soon. I have a pension so will continue to save/invest. I turned 60 in November, and my 86 year-old parents also decided at that time to move out of their large home in the country to a retirement village in the city. Wonderful idea, but the timing was...well let's just say I've spend the majority of my retirement time working on their downsizing and sale of home.

But I did spend the first week in January camping with friends in a long planned retirement/60th birthday celebratory camping trip.

Oh, I also still get up between 630-730, sometimes earlier. I *like* getting up early. So sue me.

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 pm

austin_hiker wrote: Long time lurker around here, but only just registered a few days ago.
I retired 12/31/18 from Higher Ed, but am cheating by going back to part-time work soon. I have a pension so will continue to save/invest.
Welcome to the Bogleheads! And welcome to the Retirement Roll Call :happy You're on the list. Nice plans :moneybag
austin_hiker wrote:I turned 60 in November, and my 86 year-old parents also decided at that time to move out of their large home in the country to a retirement village in the city. Wonderful idea, but the timing was...well let's just say I've spend the majority of my retirement time working on their downsizing and sale of home.
And did you discard everything that did not spark joy? :D
austin_hiker wrote:But I did spend the first week in January camping with friends in a long planned retirement/60th birthday celebratory camping trip.
Great way to start a great retirement! Best wishes and happy hiking :beer

SandysDad
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by SandysDad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 am

Just saw this thread now. I retired 04/30/2018 at 52.

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:34 pm

SandysDad wrote: Just saw this thread now. I retired 04/30/2018 at 52.
Congratulations SandysDad and Welcome to this Fantabulous Retirement Roll Call - never too late to join!

So, as my kids would say, "whassupp??" How has this first year of retirement been for you? Decluttering the house and garage? :mrgreen: , traveling to exotic places? 8-) enjoying lunches and outings with friends and family? :happy ugh golf? :P

SandysDad
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by SandysDad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:34 pm
SandysDad wrote: Just saw this thread now. I retired 04/30/2018 at 52.
Congratulations SandysDad and Welcome to this Fantabulous Retirement Roll Call - never too late to join!

So, as my kids would say, "whassupp??" How has this first year of retirement been for you? Decluttering the house and garage? :mrgreen: , traveling to exotic places? 8-) enjoying lunches and outings with friends and family? :happy ugh golf? :P
Check, Check and Check! :)

hirlaw
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by hirlaw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Very belated posting! My retirement was 1/15/18 at age 62. Long time attorney, now part time tour guide for the local professional baseball team!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 pm

hirlaw wrote: Very belated posting! My retirement was 1/15/18 at age 62. Long time attorney, now part time tour guide for the local professional baseball team!
Welcome to The Retired Active Force and never to late to join the Class!

Thank goodness you found a different engaging activity to take your mind off that attorney stuff :wink: But you know - the problem with baseball is we're sitting in the hot sun watching grown men try to hit that dang little ball with a stick :confused

Enjoy your retirement and let us know how your team fares :beer

Siglinde
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Siglinde » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm

My last day was 11/15/2018! But since I owned a business it takes a few month to get done with the paper work. One of my clients gave my a "sloth " calendar and the following advise: give yourself permission to do nothing!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Siglinde wrote: My last day was 11/15/2018! But since I owned a business it takes a few month to get done with the paper work. One of my clients gave me a "sloth " calendar and the following advise: give yourself permission to do nothing!
Siglinde - congratulations on leaving your business for the Retired Active Force!! Welcome to the Roll Call!
But you can still use your Sloth Calendar and enjoy many days just "being." :happy

Image

Siglinde
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Siglinde » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Love the picture!

jeffb
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by jeffb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:50 pm

I pulled the plug last day in April, 2018, a couple months before I turned 51! My goal was June of 2018.

Kikisdelivery
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Kikisdelivery » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 pm

My last day in the grind was 11/30/18. Freedom has been amazing!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:02 pm

jeffb wrote: I pulled the plug last day in April, 2018, a couple months before I turned 51! My goal was June of 2018.
Jeffb - glad to hear you pulled that plug - down the drain goes daily stress and grind and grime 8-) Now you have to figure out what to do with 18 hours of your day :confused
We wish you a long and enjoyable retirement filled with fellowship of family and friends and the excitement of new experiences :sharebeer

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Kikisdelivery wrote: My last day in the grind was 11/30/18. Freedom has been amazing!
Hi Kikisdelivery! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call Class of 2018! You're on the list 8-)

Yes, retirement freedom is amazing - so what are you doing with all your free time? Or are you like me, stuck in the perpetual state of decluttering :annoyed

Wenonah
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Wenonah » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:48 am

I retired in September, 2018, so this is my first year NOT going to school as a teacher in 30 some years. I have been planning for retirement since I was 25, but between having kids and moving states, I only have 20 in my current state, but I knew I could get a COLA at 20 years, so that has been the goal. But we have been good savers, so we are living off of our investments from age 58-65. It's a bit scary as we will get a small pension at 65, but so far so good. Walking, tap dancing, bird watching, camping, travel, are a few of my past times and I was a student teaching supervisor for a local college this year (I call it my volunteer job because I get paid so little) and it was fun helping the young teachers out. I am enjoying having my Sundays back! No papers to grade! Can't wait for camping season with no worries about fall!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Wenonah wrote: I retired in September, 2018, so this is my first year NOT going to school as a teacher in 30 some years. I have been planning for retirement since I was 25, but between having kids and moving states, I only have 20 in my current state, but I knew I could get a COLA at 20 years, so that has been the goal. But we have been good savers, so we are living off of our investments from age 58-65. It's a bit scary as we will get a small pension at 65, but so far so good. Walking, tap dancing, bird watching, camping, travel, are a few of my past times and I was a student teaching supervisor for a local college this year (I call it my volunteer job because I get paid so little) and it was fun helping the young teachers out. I am enjoying having my Sundays back! No papers to grade! Can't wait for camping season with no worries about fall!
Hello Wenonah and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class - you're on the roster :happy

Sounds like you prepared carefully for your retirement and now have wonderful activities ready to fill a long and enjoyable retirement :beer

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:06 pm

We present the Updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018 - and what a great class it is :D

We have 81 graduates who are delighted to BE RETIRED - and now the only thing they have to worry about is Sequence of Returns risk :oops:

Our youngest retiree is noobogle (late 30's), then amp at 47. Our oldest retirees are TinyTim at 70 and blgaarder at 69 :beer

Our most senior retiree is wwhan, who joined this wonderful Bogleheads forum on March 4, 2007, less than 2 weeks after it formed as Bogleheads.org on Feb 19, 2007 :D Wwhan's portfolio is one awesome hunk :moneybag

Our Graduating Class - CONGRATULATIONS!! :sharebeer
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
15 Jan - wwhan (64)
15 Jan - hirlaw (62)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
31 Jan - papahurls1 (64)
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)

09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)

03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)

02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
13 Apr - cherijoh <<== Welcome to the Class!!
30 Apr - SandysDad (52)
__ Apr - jeffb (50)

10 May - Troutcommando (59) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
18 May - remomnyc (52)
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE (57)

01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30's)
01 Jun - not_slow_n_steady (60)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG

13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview

03 Aug - Sparky1500
08 Aug - sofarsogood (58) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)

05 Sep - The Stone Wall
14 Sep - Griffkat (56)
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
28 Sep - TravelGeek
28 Sep - galawdawg
30 Sep - nova1968
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - Wenonah

01 Oct - retirementbound
12 Oct - bayview (64)
12 Oct - PaHumbug
15 Oct - when i'm 64 (64)
26 Oct - treadingwater

01 Nov - 2pedals (59)
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
01 Nov - Derby (59)
15 Nov - Siglinde
21 Nov - busdriver (65)
30 Nov - MnD (mid-50's)
30 Nov - WPauley (55)
30 Nov - Kikisdelivery

01 Dec - BarbBrooklyn
04 Dec - metalworking
07 Dec - smithmmark
07 Dec - Triple-Nickels (58) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
14 Dec - WestUniversity
14 Dec - PaunchyPirate
19 Dec - MarkDK (59)
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
21 Dec - Blanket Fort (51)
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog
31 Dec - jazman12
31 Dec - austin_hiker (60)
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Our Roll Call is never closed - when it hits you that you really DID retire in 2018 :oops: please post your information and you'll be added to the roster 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Topic Author
NCPE
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:10 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by NCPE » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:39 pm

It is hard to believe that I started this thread almost 2 years ago.

This week marks my first full year in retirement and I hope my fellow Bogleheads in the Class of 2018 have enjoyed their retirement as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Without the knowledge of the many members on this site I would have not been able to FIRE as early as I did !!!

NCPE

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm

NCPE wrote: It is hard to believe that I started this thread almost 2 years ago.

This week marks my first full year in retirement and I hope my fellow Bogleheads in the Class of 2018 have enjoyed their retirement as much as I have enjoyed mine.
A full year of retirement already!
And so, how has it gone? Miss your work? :( Finished cleaning out the garage? :mrgreen: And how's the portfolio doing :wink:
NCPE wrote:Without the knowledge of the many members on this site I would have not been able to FIRE as early as I did !!!
Oh we hear you, and the many members on this site not only help us retire, but we learn how to make oatmeal, buy fishing shirts, and avoid the dreaded oil gas dilution issue 8-)

But, how early did you FIRE?

User avatar
Topic Author
NCPE
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:10 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by NCPE » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Miriam -

I FIREd at 57.

Was planning to make it to 59 1/2 but the political climate at the monster megacorp that I worked at was sucking the life out of me so I left a couple of years early. This was the best decision I ever made !!!

As far as the garage cleaning it is still on the to do list but the yard and landscaping looks better than it has in years :happy

NCPE

cherijoh
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:26 pm

I thought I posted to this thread when I did it, but I officially retired April 15, 2018 (but since that was a Sunday it was really April 13).

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm

cherijoh wrote: I thought I posted to this thread when I did it, but I officially retired April 15, 2018 (but since that was a Sunday it was really April 13).
13 Apr - cherijoh <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Glad to see it finally hit you that you retired :oops: and welcome to the Class!

And our Bogleheads community is very happy and grateful that you never retired from this wonderful forum and are still posting and offering your sensible investing advice, knowledge and wisdom for the rest of us :happy

sofarsogood
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by sofarsogood » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Retired aug 8 2018 at 58. life is good.

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:24 pm

sofarsogood wrote: Retired aug 8 2018 at 58. life is good.
08 Aug - sofarsogood (58) <<== Welcome to the Class!

Hi sofarsogood! happy to hear so far so good :happy what have you been doing that's so great?? 8-)

Triple-Nickels
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Triple-Nickels » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:05 pm

A tad late, but ready to be admitted to the Retirement Class of 2018. FIRE'd on December 7, 2018 (@ 53) and couldn't be happier to join my DH who retired 4 years earlier (@ 52)

Spend my days focused on restoring my health and wellness (MegaCorp almost did me in), and couldn't be more grateful to have found BHs as well as the FIRE community 3 years ago. At that time, I sorted through our portfolio and started scrutinizing our spend, and viola ... realized I could accelerate my retirement date from 2025 to 2018, how crazy is that?

Keep up the awesome job BHs, you're providing a great community service to a global population. We're eternally grateful and appreciative for all that you do.

Triple-Nickels

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:10 am

Triple-Nickels wrote: A tad late, but ready to be admitted to the Retirement Class of 2018. FIRE'd on December 7, 2018 (@ 53) and couldn't be happier to join my DH who retired 4 years earlier (@ 52)
Welcome to the Class! Never too late :D
Triple-Nickels wrote:Spend my days focused on restoring my health and wellness (MegaCorp almost did me in), and couldn't be more grateful to have found BHs as well as the FIRE community 3 years ago. At that time, I sorted through our portfolio and started scrutinizing our spend, and viola ... realized I could accelerate my retirement date from 2025 to 2018, how crazy is that?
LOL that is super crazy! Enjoy your new freedom, get on that treadmill, lift those weights - and you'll be back in good shape before you know it.
Triple-Nickels wrote:Keep up the awesome job BHs, you're providing a great community service to a global population. We're eternally grateful and appreciative for all that you do.
Thank you for posting Triple-Nickels, and we wish you a fabulous retirement :sharebeer

Troutcommando
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Troutcommando » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 am

Got laid off on May 10, 2018 at 59 after 37 years. It was a great career at a TV technology manufacture with lots of opportunities with domestic worldwide travel. I telecommuted out of our Montana home for the last 15 years. The last 4 years had been a struggle but the pay was great and the 401K plan was excellent. We have zero debt and paid our mortgage off in 2014. After researching, interviewing various money managers and finding Bogleheads advice blogs we rolled over and consolidated our retirement funds into Vanguard in December 2018. We spent 8 weeks in Alaska this summer towing a small camp trailer, seeing the sights, lots of animals, and plenty of fishing for salmon. Hunting season has started here in Montana and life is purrrrrrdy good!

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Troutcommando wrote: Got laid off on May 10, 2018 at 59 after 37 years. It was a great career at a TV technology manufacture with lots of opportunities with domestic worldwide travel. I telecommuted out of our Montana home for the last 15 years. The last 4 years had been a struggle but the pay was great and the 401K plan was excellent. We have zero debt and paid our mortgage off in 2014. After researching, interviewing various money managers and finding Bogleheads advice blogs we rolled over and consolidated our retirement funds into Vanguard in December 2018. We spent 8 weeks in Alaska this summer towing a small camp trailer, seeing the sights, lots of animals, and plenty of fishing for salmon. Hunting season has started here in Montana and life is purrrrrrdy good!
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Troutcommando! and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class :beer

We enjoy your description of your travel to retirement and your retirement adventures and how you planned for it all financially.

Montana is gorgeous, every square inch of it, has every natural asset class mother nature ever provided (lol - except palm trees, tropical breezes and warm aquamarine waters lapping upon white sandy beaches - South Florida here 8-) ) I could swear for sure the sky was truly bigger in Montana, I loved every minute driving from one end to the other and up and down several times.

We wish you a wonderful retirement with the open road ahead of you filled with new experiences on this great and glorious earth :happy

Billionaire
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Billionaire » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 am

Billionaire wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:47 am
January 2nd, as in this coming Tuesday. After taking a breather, I may look for part-time or full-time work. The only thing I was enjoying was the $$$ and maxing out my 401K and HSA accounts. The work got boring and stupid, plus the people were draining.
Billionaire checking in. I haven't logged on here in quite some time. I ended up with two part-time jobs. One was in retail and I left after one year. I got some great discounts, but the work was brutal. The other job is seasonal (summers) that I worked in 2018 and 2019. I may not return for 2020. It's a unique job, but the pay is horrible and the commute not great.

I went mountain biking in Moab, Utah last year and went to Cambodia and Thailand in 2019. Two great trips.

I was 62 when I retired. I turn 64 next week and will probably apply for social security. My contact at Schwab ran some numbers for me recently and the net result was the same whether I start collecting now or wait until 66 and 2 months.

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 pm

Billionaire wrote: Billionaire checking in. I haven't logged on here in quite some time. I ended up with two part-time jobs. One was in retail and I left after one year. I got some great discounts, but the work was brutal. The other job is seasonal (summers) that I worked in 2018 and 2019. I may not return for 2020. It's a unique job, but the pay is horrible and the commute not great.

I went mountain biking in Moab, Utah last year and went to Cambodia and Thailand in 2019. Two great trips.

I was 62 when I retired. I turn 64 next week and will probably apply for social security. My contact at Schwab ran some numbers for me recently and the net result was the same whether I start collecting now or wait until 66 and 2 months.
Hello Billionaire! Thank you for checking in with your interesting post and your exciting retirement adventures :D

We wish you all the best in your retirement and look forward to hearing about your other travels and activities.

Triple-Nickels
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Triple-Nickels » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:53 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:10 am
Triple-Nickels wrote:Spend my days focused on restoring my health and wellness (MegaCorp almost did me in), and couldn't be more grateful to have found BHs as well as the FIRE community 3 years ago. At that time, I sorted through our portfolio and started scrutinizing our spend, and viola ... realized I could accelerate my retirement date from 2025 to 2018, how crazy is that?
LOL that is super crazy! Enjoy your new freedom, get on that treadmill, lift those weights - and you'll be back in good shape before you know it.
Update from the Retirement Class of 2018:
Accomplishments in my first year of retirement
1. Discovered Whole 30 on April 1, 2019 and have lost 30 pounds in 9 months (on my 3rd round of W30 as we speak ... it helps that I needed to dry out in January anyway)
2. Started working out on April 1, 2019 and am up to 75 mins 7 days a week
3. Portfolio increased > 24% in 2019 (50/50 AA), thank you Mr. Market!

Truly grateful and blessed to be retired with DH and living the Retirement Dream. Thanks Bogleheads.

Happy 2020 everyone.

Miriam2
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 am

Triple-Nickels wrote: Update from the Retirement Class of 2018:
Accomplishments in my first year of retirement
1. Discovered Whole 30 on April 1, 2019 and have lost 30 pounds in 9 months (on my 3rd round of W30 as we speak ... it helps that I needed to dry out in January anyway)
2. Started working out on April 1, 2019 and am up to 75 mins 7 days a week
3. Portfolio increased > 24% in 2019 (50/50 AA), thank you Mr. Market!

Truly grateful and blessed to be retired with DH and living the Retirement Dream. Thanks Bogleheads.

Happy 2020 everyone.
Thank you for this awesome Retirement Update! Portfolio increased and weight decreased - way to go!
75 minutes 7 days a week - :beer

Post Reply