Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
bikechuck

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by bikechuck »

Emilyjane wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm Thanks for starting the thread.

I am retiring January 2018. I will be 61, my husband has just retired, and he will be eligible for Medicare. I had some second thoughts due to the recent uncertainty about the individual health insurance market, but decided to go for it. A bit hard to lose employer provided health care.

We look forward to travel to National Parks in our camper van, with no deadline for returning home, more time for cross country skiing, gardening and reading all the books I didn't have time for when working.

Deep gratitude to all the Bogleheads who contributed to my financial education.
My wife and I dream of having a camper. What kind do you have? What do you like best about it?
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Hello,
You can add me to the Class 03 March! MegaCorp offered a Separation program, and I was one of lucky ones accepted. Dropping off all my computer equip this Friday, then driving DIRECTLY to airport to spend 2 months living at the beach at the very end of an island on the Outer Banks, NC. Staying there til I forget how to spell IT or till my off season rental runs out.

Jazzysoon
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Jazzysoon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:19 am Hello,
You can add me to the Class 03 March! MegaCorp offered a Separation program, and I was one of lucky ones accepted. Dropping off all my computer equip this Friday, then driving DIRECTLY to airport to spend 2 months living at the beach at the very end of an island on the Outer Banks, NC. Staying there til I forget how to spell IT or till my off season rental runs out.

Jazzysoon
In a year or two, someone will mention “HTML” and your first thought will be “Having the Time of My Life”.
Last edited by David Jay on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
trirod

Post by trirod »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 pm
Looking forward to winter sports (as a tax CPA I don't currently get much time for that) . . .
Ah . . . well . . . Bogleheads certainly could use some tax help around this time of year, so we sure hope you don't get too caught up in those winter sports :mrgreen:
Well when I'm not actually doing taxes for 60+ hours a week I will probably find it quite relaxing to look through those BH tax questions. Right now I use BH to take a break from taxes so tend to avoid those posts. :happy
trirod

Post by trirod »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 pm
You will probably take the class award as the most senior Boglehead, having joined our Bogleheads forum on July 18, 2007, only 5 months after the Bogleheads.org forum began. That's almost 11 years ago :happy boy, time sure does fly :annoyed
But I only have 79 posts in 10.5 years - I guess that makes me a lurker. Hopefully have more time to contribute to this awesome forum after this year, since I couldn't have reached FI without it.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 pm
Barefoot wrote: Put me down for May 25.
Done :!:

Welcome to the class! Any retirement plans?
Plans? Goof Off.

Seriously, I will spend more time at our vacation house. We have reservations to go to the BVIs, Australia, and New Zealand later in the year.

I'll get to fish whenever the weather looks nice, rather than when I planned ahead to take a day off and the weather was pot luck.

Mrs Barefoot has lots of things for me to do around the house.

I don't expect to be bored.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jazzysoon wrote: You can add me to the Class 03 March! MegaCorp offered a Separation program, and I was one of lucky ones accepted. Dropping off all my computer equip this Friday, then driving DIRECTLY to airport to spend 2 months living at the beach at the very end of an island on the Outer Banks, NC. Staying there til I forget how to spell IT or till my off season rental runs out.
Congratulations Jazzysoon, and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class!

I'm impressed, you don't waste time getting outa there 8-) you must live a decluttered life, turn on a dime! Enjoy the spring on the Outer Banks and please let us know what it's like and what you're doing :happy
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 pm
Jazzysoon wrote: You can add me to the Class 03 March! MegaCorp offered a Separation program, and I was one of lucky ones accepted. Dropping off all my computer equip this Friday, then driving DIRECTLY to airport to spend 2 months living at the beach at the very end of an island on the Outer Banks, NC. Staying there til I forget how to spell IT or till my off season rental runs out.
Congratulations Jazzysoon, and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class!
I'm impressed, you don't waste time getting outa there 8-) you must live a decluttered life, turn on a dime
! Enjoy the spring on the Outer Banks and please let us know what it's like and what you're doing :happy
Miriam, The desire to go somewhere immediately is more to purge the last few years of incredibly stressful IT env, this package enable me to pull the trigger earlier than original plan so need to clear my head and figure out Next Chapter- Getting away for a bit always helps me transition to next life event. I think some of my 'cluttered (non work) life' will still be there when I get back home(oh well) :wink: . I'm a telecommuter so as long as I clear the new 12 inches of snow from my long driveway by Friday I'm good to go! Outer Banks in off season/spring is really lovely, not crowded and rents most Bogleheads would appreciate.

Delighted to be part of 2018 Class!
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

bikechuck wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:57 pm
My wife and I dream of having a camper. What kind do you have? What do you like best about it?
Bikechuck,
We have a 20’ Roadtrek Agile, bought used (~50% of new price at 50,000 miles). Diesel sprinter gets 24 mpg mostly. I do fantasize about new version some year if markets are kind, but totally happy with this one.

Queen size bed in back, little bathroom and kitchen. So nice to be able to road trip and stop when we like. Sometimes we’ve tried to keep a schedule (reservations at Yellowstone), but mostly prefer to see where the day leads us. Usually able to find camping space on daily basis, we try to avoid travel when school is out. Looking forward to seeing what it’s like to head to Utah this spring with no work to come back to. :D

There was a thread discussing campers a few weeks back, but I am not clever enough to link to it. Maybe you saw it or can find it.

Good luck with your future travels!

PS: Congrats Jazzysoon on your impending retirement. so far, retirement is all it is cracked up to be :happy
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Emilyjane wrote:
bikechuck wrote: My wife and I dream of having a camper. What kind do you have? What do you like best about it?
Bikechuck, . . . There was a thread discussing campers a few weeks back, but I am not clever enough to link to it. Maybe you saw it or can find it.
Maybe these threads posted by fellow Boglehead Sandtrap

www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=214853
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229967
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Hooray!

I just handed in my computer equipment, security cards and RSA vpn token. Sent in my paperwork too!

All done at megacorp. Bittersweet, but feel like a load has been lifted.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dottie57 wrote: Hooray!
I just handed in my computer equipment, security cards and RSA vpn token. Sent in my paperwork too!
All done at megacorp. Bittersweet, but feel like a load has been lifted.
Congratulations on entering the Retired Force :sharebeer

Your comment is quite true for many of us - "Bittersweet, but feel like a load has been lifted."

After freezing up at the reality of my impending retirement after 35 years in a wonderful office, I reasoned it this way - these are milestones we cannot ignore. Retiring WILL happen. And in the scheme of things, it is supposed to happen. Some of us run with it, others, like me, get emotional and frightened of the change. After all, it means we're getting older, not younger. Time is moving on. Kind of unsettling, we want it to always be the same.

A good work, a good office, is like our family or our neighborhood. The thought of losing someone, of family or neighbors moving away so we cannot see and talk to them like we used to is upsetting :( Even if we didn't interact that often, the possibility was there because THEY were there. And now they won't be there. But we have our memories of those days that were, and you're right, it's bittersweet. :happy
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks to our good shipmate Miriam for keeping the FIVE conversations on the "Retirement Series" alive and well.
Also, big congratulations to all forum members on reaching this important retirement milestone. Personally, I did not know that retirement was going to be this fun! In reference to our good shipmate Miriam's note, we will retain the "good" memories and we will remember the "good" co-workers [keyword, good]. The only thing I recommend to anyone joining "The Active Retired Force" is to remain physically and mentally active, do not drop your guard. Muchas gracias por leer ~cfs~
Last edited by cfs on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm Here is the latest roster for the Retirement Class of 2018!

We have 5 graduates so far, just the tip of the iceberg :beer

Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes for a good Sequence of Returns!! :sharebeer
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)

Upcoming graduates - piling everything they can into those retirement accounts :D
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
09 Mar - remomnyc
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
31 May - NCPE
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jul - Golfview
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
01 Oct - retirementbound
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
__ Dec - WestUniversity

__ ___ MnD
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Sparky1500

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
Put me down for December 28th. I have some final payouts that I need to fall into the next tax year. The stars are not shining bright at MegaCorp however and there is a chance that I might get RIF'd in the next several months... :mrgreen:
Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 »

39 days to go!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WestUniversity wrote: Put me down for December 28th. I have some final payouts that I need to fall into the next tax year. The stars are not shining bright at MegaCorp however and there is a chance that I might get RIF'd in the next several months... :mrgreen:
Ok, we'll put you down for Dec 28 on the next re-boot, and if you get RIF'd earlier, let us know and we'll simply re-boot again 8-) I guess it would be a mixed blessing for you - you might miss the final payouts, but you'll enjoy your freeeeeeedom earlier :D

Larry2623 wrote: 39 days to go!
Larry's Retirement Countdown! Here you go, so you don't mess up your counting in all your excitement :D

https://www.futurememories.com/retireme ... gKjj_D_BwE
BigOldBear

Post by BigOldBear »

I joined the Class of 2018 effective January 1st! This came a bit earlier than I had planned, but a nice separation package after 33 years of service tipped the scale towards retirement. I was a fan of many of the recommendations I had read from Jack Bogle during the accumulation phase. Now I am still trying to internalize strategies for the de-accumulation phase going forward. Dollar cost averaging seems to do just the opposite for withdrawals than it does with deposits. So I am trying to understand how different harvesting strategies could impact both sustainable withdrawal rates and terminal value. Seems just maintaining AA at target works for many, but some others may perform better? I have some more time to learn more before taking any actions. Keeping costs low is as important as ever, but looks like Vanguard has a lot of competition on this front. Certainly keeping more in cash/equivalents and short term bonds to cover needs to ride out downturns is fairly new to me too, but off to a good start with the help of the separation package :sharebeer I had a little bit of luck as I was taking the lump sum distribution from my company’s retirement plan, much of it was in cash while the market was tanking last month, but have quickly put most of it to work in the IRA with the target AA. I’m still working through plans on selling company stock with a low cost basis now held outside the IRA. Hope I can sell it off over time at a 0% capital gains rate, but still get out of it as soon as possible within this constraint.

Found a reference to this site at early-retirement.org, and I am enjoying reading through many threads of interest, and just started posting recently. I’ve learned a lot already! This is definitely one of the sites I will be checking as part of my routine in retirement. Thanks to all who have made this such a great resource!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

You can put me down for March 29.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BigOldBear wrote: I joined the Class of 2018 effective January 1st! This came a bit earlier than I had planned, but a nice separation package after 33 years of service tipped the scale towards retirement. I was a fan of many of the recommendations I had read from Jack Bogle during the accumulation phase. Now I am still trying to internalize strategies for the de-accumulation phase going forward. Dollar cost averaging seems to do just the opposite for withdrawals than it does with deposits. So I am trying to understand how different harvesting strategies could impact both sustainable withdrawal rates and terminal value. Seems just maintaining AA at target works for many, but some others may perform better? I have some more time to learn more before taking any actions. Keeping costs low is as important as ever, but looks like Vanguard has a lot of competition on this front. Certainly keeping more in cash/equivalents and short term bonds to cover needs to ride out downturns is fairly new to me too, but off to a good start with the help of the separation package :sharebeer I had a little bit of luck as I was taking the lump sum distribution from my company’s retirement plan, much of it was in cash while the market was tanking last month, but have quickly put most of it to work in the IRA with the target AA. I’m still working through plans on selling company stock with a low cost basis now held outside the IRA. Hope I can sell it off over time at a 0% capital gains rate, but still get out of it as soon as possible within this constraint.
Click on over to the 2018 Bogleheads Conference registration thread and sign up for the 2018 Bogleheads Conference where you can ask everyone all your Qs - you'll be up all night giddy with all the helpful information :D
Found a reference to this site at early-retirement.org, and I am enjoying reading through many threads of interest, and just started posting recently. I’ve learned a lot already! This is definitely one of the sites I will be checking as part of my routine in retirement. Thanks to all who have made this such a great resource!
You're welcome! We'll add you to this Very Prestigious Retirement Class :happy
BigOldBear

Post by BigOldBear »

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the Conference is filling up quickly. Will see if can arrange the trip, maybe combine with a trip to see our son at college in NJ.
KenG

Post by KenG »

I am going to retire in June, which, I'm sure, will cause the market to crash. But that's ok. Thanks to this forum I've got my IPS in place, my AA calibrated to my risk tolerance, and plenty of encouragement to stay the course.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

KenG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am I am going to retire in June, which, I'm sure, will cause the market to crash.
:D :D :D

TravelforFun
cfs

Post by cfs »

KenG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am . . . I am going to retire in June, which, I'm sure, will cause the market to crash . . .
Congratulations on the retirement part, and as far as the market crashing, NO, it is NOT going to happen. The Lowest Rated Fund [my boring portfolio] have done GREAT since my retirement. Good luck in your retirement, stay mentally and physically busy. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
cfs

Post by cfs »

Recap

This is what we have on the retirement series

Retirement Class of 2014 = 62 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2015 = 81 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2016 = 67 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2017 = 69 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2018 = 08 Graduates and counting

If you retired between 2014 and 2018 and your name was included, go ahead and add your name to the listing, it is never late, check the links to the retirement class series here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222451#p3432476

Thanks to our shipmate Miriam for keeping the retirement series updated.

These series are perennials.

Oh, did I tell you that retirement is GREAT? Gracias por leer ~cfs~
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

cfs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:02 pm Recap

This is what we have on the retirement series

Retirement Class of 2014 = 62 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2015 = 81 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2016 = 67 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2017 = 69 Graduates
Retirement Class of 2018 = 08 Graduates and counting

If you retired between 2014 and 2018 and your name was included, go ahead and add your name to the listing, it is never late, check the links to the retirement class series here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222451#p3432476

Thanks to our shipmate Miriam for keeping the retirement series updated.

These series are perennials.

Oh, did I tell you that retirement is GREAT? Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Congrats to the 62 lucky 2014-grads! You're riding a 5-year robust stock market. But I'm guessing the 2011 - 2013-grads are doing a little better than you.

TravelforFun
cfs

Post by cfs »

TravelforFun wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 pm . . . Congrats to the 62 lucky 2014-grads! You're riding a 5-year robust stock market . . .
Yes, this member of the Retirement Class of 2014 is having a blast, thank you Miss Market !!!

Gracias por leer ~cfs~
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I'll be joining the ranks of the retired on December 31. Mrs. Galawdawg and I are celebrating by attending our first Bogleheads conference in October! :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

galawdawg wrote: I'll be joining the ranks of the retired on December 31. Mrs. Galawdawg and I are celebrating by attending our first Bogleheads conference in October! :D
Welcome to the Class, galawdawg! You're on THE LIST 8-)
You're a lucky dawg to be attending the Bogleheads Conference! :D (you want to retire, but be careful, or they'll put you to work :mrgreen:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rkhusky wrote: You can put me down for March 29.
rkhusky! I don't know how to say this diplomatically :wink: but we're only putting you on the Retirement Roll Call IF YOU PROMISE you will not leave us and take off on some long wild retirement adventure :annoyed Your many posts of tax advice, fund selection, financial planning advice, fund analysis, asset allocation and diversification, retirement planning, etc etc, have educated us and made us all better investors :D
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Gonna quit my job in 2018. Does that count? Call it a trial retirement.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 pm
rkhusky! I don't know how to say this diplomatically :wink: but we're only putting you on the Retirement Roll Call IF YOU PROMISE you will not leave us and take off on some long wild retirement adventure :annoyed Your many posts of tax advice, fund selection, financial planning advice, fund analysis, asset allocation and diversification, retirement planning, etc etc, have educated us and made us all better investors :D
How could I after that?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rkhusky wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
How could I after that?
Good! You're on the list! Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2018 :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Nestegg_User wrote: As a retiree from the class of 2015 :beer , sleeping in isn’t that hard, if you want to. Today, got up between 8:30-9 since the snowfall obscured the mountains in the retirement house (otherwise don’t mind morning coffee looking at the snow covered peaks). Sure beats the old life of getting out the door by 5:20!
Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your description of your morning coffee in your retirement home watching the early morning snowfall obscuring the mountains and snow-covered peaks! Hope you continue to enjoy such wonders. :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

randomizer wrote: Gonna quit my job in 2018. Does that count? Call it a trial retirement.
Randomizer!! Quit your job and become a stock picker :D

As of the close of the bell on Thursday, March 15, you were a strong SECOND in Taylor's Highly Esteemed Boglehead S & P 500 contest - and we all know how difficult THAT is 8-)
Standings -
Rank Name Guess + / -
1 Taz 2746.47 (0.86)
2 randomizer 2746.13 (1.20)
3 Jb11 2749.56 (2.23)
4 Morgan Stanley ♦ 2750.00 (2.67)
4 Scotiabank ♦ 2750.00 (2.67)
4 Stifel Nicolaus ♦ 2750.00 (2.67)
7 jimcrawford01 2743.17 (4.16)
8 athan 2751.87 (4.54)
9 Greatodinsraven 2753.82 (6.49)
10 FRANK2009 2754.00 (6.67)
. . . .(and 483 more)
https://www.lostoak.com/ls/diehards/con ... fault.aspx
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Count me in. Last day Sept 21. will be 52 yr old.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

FireHorse wrote: Count me in. Last day Sept 21. will be 52 yr old.
Welcome to the Class!! You have a nice long retirement ahead of you 8-) - what are the plans?
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

cfs wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 pm
TravelforFun wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 pm . . . Congrats to the 62 lucky 2014-grads! You're riding a 5-year robust stock market . . .
Yes, this member of the Retirement Class of 2014 is having a blast, thank you Miss Market !!!

Gracias por leer ~cfs~
and good luck to the 69 members of Class of 2017!

TravelforFun
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm
ln09348 wrote: Count me in. Last day Sept 21. will be 52 yr old.
Welcome to the Class!! You have a nice long retirement ahead of you 8-) - what are the plans?
Thanks Miriam2.
So many things in my mind and want to jump in right away. But to make this retirement work, the very first thing has to be learn to slow down, learn to sit back and watching the surroundings and get the joy out of them, learn to appreciate each joyful moment occurs. If I can master this base, I will enjoy much more of volunteers, traveling, reading, cooking, exercising...etc.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

FireHorse wrote: So many things in my mind and want to jump in right away. But to make this retirement work, the very first thing has to be learn to slow down, learn to sit back and watching the surroundings and get the joy out of them, learn to appreciate each joyful moment occurs. If I can master this base, I will enjoy much more of volunteers, traveling, reading, cooking, exercising...etc.
Nice plan! :happy
Our goal should be to live life in radical amazement . . . get up in the morning and look at the world in a way that takes nothing for granted. Everything is phenomenal, everything is incredible; never treat life casually. To be spiritual is to be amazed.
-- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm
ln09348 wrote: So many things in my mind and want to jump in right away. But to make this retirement work, the very first thing has to be learn to slow down, learn to sit back and watching the surroundings and get the joy out of them, learn to appreciate each joyful moment occurs. If I can master this base, I will enjoy much more of volunteers, traveling, reading, cooking, exercising...etc.
Nice plan! :happy
Our goal should be to live life in radical amazement . . . get up in the morning and look at the world in a way that takes nothing for granted. Everything is phenomenal, everything is incredible; never treat life casually. To be spiritual is to be amazed.
-- Abraham Joshua Heschel
+1
:sharebeer
telemark

Post by telemark »

I gave notice on Monday, so any little fluctuations you may have noticed in the market are presumably my fault. It will be a couple of weeks before we get the details sorted out. It was something of an impulse decision, but it seemed to me that the marginal utility of another year of work was far less than the enjoyment I would derive from becoming a gentleman of leisure.

Not having a check coming in twice a month is going to be scary, though.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

telemark wrote: I gave notice on Monday, so any little fluctuations you may have noticed in the market are presumably my fault.
Thank you for the heads-up Telemark :happy Welcome to the Retirement Class!
telemark wrote:It will be a couple of weeks before we get the details sorted out. It was something of an impulse decision . . .
ahh, our first Boglehead to retire on impulse :beer
telemark wrote: . . . but it seemed to me that the marginal utility of another year of work was far less than the enjoyment I would derive from becoming a gentleman of leisure.
ahh, another Gentleman of Leisure, just like Boglehead Whiggish Boffin, who retired to live his days in Genteel Poverty 8-)
Whiggish Boffin wrote:On April Fools' Day I will become a gentleman of leisure.. . . I'm planning a floor-and-upside strategy in the spirit of Bodie, Milevsky, and Bobcat2. I will live no worse than Genteel Poverty to the end of my days, and probably will end up better off than that. Genteel Poverty covers my basic life-support needs, and also provides dignity and some diversions. . . . More likely than not, I'll have money to give away, or to squander.
Telemark, please let us know how it goes as a Gentleman of Leisure :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: So far I am very pleased with my decision. As with virtually everyone here, 2017 has been an extremely rewarding year financially which has provided a great deal of financial freedom, but I still plan to continue a while longer. I would be delighted if you were to check back at the beginning of April 2018. There will come a point when I take the plunge and that is the next time I plan to sit-down any so some real self-examination on the topic.
It's the beginning of April and we're checking back :wink:
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:53 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: So far I am very pleased with my decision. As with virtually everyone here, 2017 has been an extremely rewarding year financially which has provided a great deal of financial freedom, but I still plan to continue a while longer. I would be delighted if you were to check back at the beginning of April 2018. There will come a point when I take the plunge and that is the next time I plan to sit-down any so some real self-examination on the topic.
It's the beginning of April and we're checking back :wink:
Back when I made that post I thought 3/30/2018 was likely going to be my last day of work but for a variety of reasons I have decided to continue working for a bit longer. It is possible I will retire in 2018 but currently planning for mid-2019 as my interests outside of working are beginning to demand more time than I can provide them while working. Who knows, part time might be workable for a short period. Continuing to work is providing a level of financial freedom I hadn't allow myself to feel in the past. I am learning to ease up on the savings, spend on things I truly want without guilt or recrimmination and spend less time worrying about and tracking my finances. Totally convinced that continuing to work has been the correct decision for me as it is allowing the desire to retire come to me. Thanks for checking back.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: It's the beginning of April and we're checking back :wink:
Back when I made that post I thought 3/30/2018 was likely going to be my last day of work but for a variety of reasons I have decided to continue working for a bit longer. It is possible I will retire in 2018 but currently planning for mid-2019 as my interests outside of working are beginning to demand more time than I can provide them while working. Who knows, part time might be workable for a short period. Continuing to work is providing a level of financial freedom I hadn't allow myself to feel in the past. I am learning to ease up on the savings, spend on things I truly want without guilt or recrimmination and spend less time worrying about and tracking my finances. Totally convinced that continuing to work has been the correct decision for me as it is allowing the desire to retire come to me. Thanks for checking back.
Seems like a good decision :happy
This from forum member Shallowpockets: "Everyone retires at some point. The fortunate are the ones who can pick that point."

Might as well stock up the coffers now while the financial market and your job work is good :moneybag Wealth for your bank account and wealth for your mind.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rolling out the updated roster for the Great Retirement Class of 2018.

"At the corner of retired and happy" are 12 lucky graduates :beer

Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS on punching out!
01 Jan - BigOldBear <== Welcome to the Class!
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon <== Welcome to the Class!
29 Mar - rkhusky <== Welcome to the Class!
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623

Upcoming graduates - :!:
__ Apr - telemark <== Welcome to the Class!
18 May - remomnyc
25 May - Barefoot <== Welcome to the Class!
31 May - NCPE
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG <== Welcome to the Class!
__ Jul - Golfview
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
21 Sep - FireHorse (52) <== Welcome to the Class!
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
01 Oct - retirementbound
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
28 Dec - WestUniversity
31 Dec - galawdawg <== Welcome to the Class!

__ ___ MnD
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Sparky1500

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Updates :?: Let us know your retirement date and if you choose, your age.
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Congratulations to all the retirees from the class of 2018!

I retired last October and it was a great decision for me. I got to enjoy my very first day of retirement at the 2017 BH conference.

Enjoy every day!

member of the Class of 2017
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Congratulations Retirement Class of 2018!
Add me to the list, June 1st!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Greywolf wrote: Congratulations Retirement Class of 2018!
Add me to the list, June 1st!
Done! Welcome to the Class! Any plans or are you just going to hang out? 8-)
telemark

Post by telemark »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 pm Upcoming graduates - :!:
__ Apr - telemark <== Welcome to the Class!
Actually I'm there now: my last day was the 13th, lucky number for me. If you leave in the middle of the month your insurance is covered until the end of the month :wink:

Still trying to find a balance between my new ability to do things and my equally new lack of need to do anything at all...