Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelGeek wrote: Please add me. Done as of yesterday. :beer

My eternal thanks go to Jack Bogle and whoever first told me about Vanguard, index funds and Bogleheads concepts (long before I found this site). And my parents for putting me on the right track many years ago and my wife for supporting me on this journey.
Next stop: My first Bogleheads conference, next week. Galawdawg - see you there! :sharebeer
Nice tribute to those who meant the most to you as you worked hard all these years and prepared for your retirement. You can thank Jack Bogle personally at the Bogleheads Conference this week :happy

You will also meet Wall Street Journal columnist Jason Zweig, who was the opening night speaker and wrote the first article on the Bogleheads Conference (back when we were called Vanguard Diehards) for Money Magazine in Sept. 2001.

http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/
http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads1/
http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads2/

Best wishes TravelGeek for a long and happy retirement!
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

OK, where do I pick up my diploma?

After years and years of planning and more than nine-months notice to my organization, finally, Friday was my last day at work! Wow. And as cool as Friday was, on Saturday I noticed I wasn't getting that vague tight feeling in my gut and shoulders, anticipating Monday was just around the corner. Sunday, same thing. And here I am on Monday, a full-on, in-your-face retiree!

But...I will have to work on the whole waking up thing at 0530 (this morning without the stinkin' alarm). My decompression phase may take a few weeks. This I know: the nap will be glorious.

SBR
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Notified all last week of my intention to retire in December. All in all it went better than I expected. Lots of congratulations mixed with shocked reactions. We will see what the next two months hold as I hand off responsibilities...
bayview

Post by bayview »

I did it!

Retired from FT federal employment yesterday (technically today per pay period.)

This no doubt triggered the hiccups in stocks this week, so I apologize to all who were unsettled, temporarily or otherwise. :D
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
bayview

Post by bayview »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 am OK, where do I pick up my diploma?

After years and years of planning and more than nine-months notice to my organization, finally, Friday was my last day at work! Wow. And as cool as Friday was, on Saturday I noticed I wasn't getting that vague tight feeling in my gut and shoulders, anticipating Monday was just around the corner. Sunday, same thing. And here I am on Monday, a full-on, in-your-face retiree!

But...I will have to work on the whole waking up thing at 0530 (this morning without the stinkin' alarm). My decompression phase may take a few weeks. This I know: the nap will be glorious.

SBR
I know, right?? I woke up at 6:30 today and got up at 7. boooooo!

I did delete all my alarms last night, so I'm on the path.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

It’s been an interesting week. Lots of congratulations and folks with questions. Comments like, “you’re too young to retire”. Others curious how we can afford it. Also subtle digs about being a short timer.

Senior management offered congratulations while at the same time subtly encouraging me to stay.

I have been disinvited from a lot of meetings related to long range planning and ongoing operations. Have yet to meet with anyone regarding handing off my duties. I guess we’ll see what happens next week...
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:After years and years of planning and more than nine-months notice to my organization, finally, Friday was my last day at work! Wow. And as cool as Friday was, on Saturday I noticed I wasn't getting that vague tight feeling in my gut and shoulders, anticipating Monday was just around the corner. Sunday, same thing. And here I am on Monday, a full-on, in-your-face retiree!
We have one very happy "full-on, in-your-face retiree" :D As our friend cfs says, "Welcome to the sunny side of the street!"
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: OK, where do I pick up my diploma?
Well, we don't have Retirement Roll Call diplomas yet, but here - this diploma will do, in fact, may give you something productive to do in retirement :wink: and moreover, it's personally signed by the Dean of Elfery:

:D
when i'm 64

Post by when i'm 64 »

Greetings All ! I'm joining the Retirement Class of 2018 as of 10/15/2018 at 64 years young. DW (62) will retire 6/2020 and I will spend some time now preparing to downsize from the big home we know longer need as all children are out of the house and married. Our vacation home that we used so little over the years will now be renovated/updated and used the way we always intended when we bought it; to be enjoyed by all family and friends.

I'm taking it a day at a time but it feels good. Decision to retire was mine; I just felt it was time after 41 years of corp. life, travel, etc.
PaHumbug

Post by PaHumbug »

Add me as another graduate with this being my first week of full-blown retirement. Saving and planning and waiting for this day my whole career, but leaving the security of a regular paycheck and a major shift in routine is a bit uncomfortable, to say the least.

Anyway, full speed ahead, let the adventure begin! I keep this posted on my refrigerator to remind me of what's important in life and that our time is finite.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

wwhan wrote: Retired at age 64.
Now, everyday is Saturday.
I used to look forward to the weekend, now I look forward to the weekday when everything is open and less crowded.
wwhan wrote: Put my R-date as January 15, 2018, since that is my first day of not working at a job.
wwhan - I sent you a PM back in Sept. but you haven't opened it yet - just want to make sure you received it (it answered your question) :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bayview wrote: I did it!
Retired from FT federal employment yesterday (technically today per pay period.)
This no doubt triggered the hiccups in stocks this week, so I apologize to all who were unsettled, temporarily or otherwise. :D
Congratulations Bayview! Looks like you punched out several months earlier than expected! That's great, now you'll have more time to UNWIND and get that retirement going. Don't worry about triggering stock market hiccups - we only worry about Sequence of Returns :mrgreen:

What are you planning to do?

Some advice from Charlie Munger at age 93: "If you've got anything you really want to do, don't wait until you're 93."

Best wishes for a long happy retirement :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

when i'm 64 wrote: Greetings All ! I'm joining the Retirement Class of 2018 as of 10/15/2018 at 64 years young. DW (62) will retire 6/2020 . . . I'm taking it a day at a time but it feels good. Decision to retire was mine; I just felt it was time after 41 years of corp. life, travel, etc.
Congratulations "When i'm 64!" and welcome to the Bogleheads! Your first post and what a great post it is!

After 41 years working at the corp, it truly feels good to settle into a well-deserved retirement. Good work and now a good retirement.
when i'm 64 wrote:I will spend some time now preparing to downsize from the big home we know longer need as all children are out of the house and married.
Ooh - downsizing from the big home, yikes, decluttering - those "D" words. Please share your secrets for discarding memories :annoyed Also secrets on how to get children married :wink:
when i'm 64 wrote:Our vacation home that we used so little over the years will now be renovated/updated and used the way we always intended when we bought it; to be enjoyed by all family and friends.
Wonderful! Thank you for sharing your milestone with us and best wishes for all your retirement pursuits :happy
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm Please share your secrets for discarding memories :annoyed Also secrets on how to get children married :wink:
Boomers' problem: Our kids won't marry.

TravelforFun
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

PaHumbug wrote: Add me as another graduate with this being my first week of full-blown retirement. Saving and planning and waiting for this day my whole career, but leaving the security of a regular paycheck and a major shift in routine is a bit uncomfortable, to say the least.

Anyway, full speed ahead, let the adventure begin! I keep this posted on my refrigerator to remind me of what's important in life and that our time is finite.
:happy
Hi PaHumbug! Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call Class! You're on the list. How does the R-date of Oct. 12 sound?

"Full speed ahead, let the adventure begin!" - What an energetic beginning to this next phase of your life! Thanks for sharing your cartoon - better keep it on your refrigerator, you never know, you were such a fabulous employee - your boss may want you back at work :annoyed

". . . leaving the security of a regular paycheck and a major shift in routine is a bit uncomfortable, to say the least." - Perhaps this thought from Taylor will be of help:
Taylor Larimore wrote:I retired in June of 1982 at the age of 57. We had about a $1 million dollar portfolio to last us the rest of our lives. I didn't know about safe withdrawal rates (the Trinity Study wasn't published until 1998). We had no computers, Internet, Monte Carlo, or sophisticated calculators. We only knew that we had to be careful to make our money last ($1M at 4% = $40,000/year before tax).

So what happened? We simply withdrew what we needed and kept an eye on our portfolio balance. Most years our balance went up and we spent the money on vacations, luxuries and charity. When our balance went down we tightened our belt and economized.

This is what most people do and it works.
Safe Withdrawal Rate? Complexity vs. Simplicity

:D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the Autumn update for the Retirement Roll Call for the Great Class of 2018 :D

We now have 47 lucky graduates :beer and many who are itching to PUNCH OUT!

:!: Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!!
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
15 Jan - wwhan (64) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc (52)
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30's)
01 Jun - not_slow_n_steady (60)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview
03 Aug - Sparky1500
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
14 Sep - Griffkat (56) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
28 Sep - TravelGeek <<== Welcome to the Class!!
28 Sep - galawdawg <<== Welcome to the Class!!
30 Sep - nova1968
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
12 Oct - bayview (64) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
12 Oct - PaHumbug <<== Welcome to the Class!!
15 Oct - when i'm 64 (64) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

:D Graduating soon - Counting the Days!!
01 Nov - 2pedals (59) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
21 Nov - busdriver (65)
30 Nov - MnD
30 Nov - WPauley (55)
01 Dec - BarbBrooklyn <<== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
21 Dec - Blanket Fort (51) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
28 Dec - WestUniversity
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog
31 Dec - jazman12 <<== Welcome to the Class!!
__ Dec - Metalworking
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Happy Halloween everyone! Don't get spooked :wink:

(photo courtesy of forum member Raybo :D
treadingwater

Post by treadingwater »

Please add me. Last day was Friday.
Never panic. Stop looking so much.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

I moved my last day up two weeks. That date was going to jam up Christmas plans. Now my departure is 12/14...
Ikigai

Post by Ikigai »

Count me in - today is my first day of retirement bliss! I have lots of plans, but the first one is just to relax and unwind.

Many thanks to all the Bogleheads who have been so kind and generous answering my questions and helped me prepare for my second life!

:sharebeer
Derby

Post by Derby »

So, unforeseen circumstances arose, and I ended up taking a Leave of Absence 6 months ago, and here it is, 6 months later, and nope, don't miss it a bit. So as of today (my 59th birthday), I am retired!

I've lost 30 (excess) lbs in the last 6 months, to give you an idea how I feel about it, and I have 4 international trips planned for 2019 already! (Around the World, Turkey, Central Europe & Antarctica...in case you were wondering :D)

Thanks, Bogleheads, for all the education and support that has made this possible. :sharebeer
Carpe Diem.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I just started my journey. This is my first weekend without having to think about going back to work on Monday (maybe forever). I always dreaded Monday. Now I don't have a good reason to dread Monday any more than Friday. :mrgreen:
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

treadingwater wrote: Please add me. Last day was Friday.
My pleasure, I added you to this Awesome list with a R-date of October 26 :happy
I guess you're no longer just "treadingwater," now you're out in full swim 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Ikigai wrote: Count me in - today is my first day of retirement bliss! I have lots of plans, but the first one is just to relax and unwind.

Many thanks to all the Bogleheads who have been so kind and generous answering my questions and helped me prepare for my second life!

Ah! Retirement bliss! Congratulations on reaching this important time of your life :D
Relaxing and unwinding sounds wonderful - and then what? 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

2pedals wrote: I just started my journey. This is my first weekend without having to think about going back to work on Monday (maybe forever). I always dreaded Monday. Now I don't have a good reason to dread Monday any more than Friday. :mrgreen:
We're delighted you successfully made it to R-date :happy What a load off your shoulders to not have to plan your Monday work schedule. Best wishes for many wonderful weekends and retirement cheer. Now as our friend cfs says: "Get on that bike and ride!"
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Four weeks away from my departure. It’s getting real... :sharebeer
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Derby wrote: So, unforeseen circumstances arose, and I ended up taking a Leave of Absence 6 months ago, and here it is, 6 months later, and nope, don't miss it a bit. So as of today (my 59th birthday), I am retired!

I've lost 30 (excess) lbs in the last 6 months, to give you an idea how I feel about it, and I have 4 international trips planned for 2019 already! (Around the World, Turkey, Central Europe & Antarctica...in case you were wondering :D)
Thanks, Bogleheads, for all the education and support that has made this possible. :sharebeer
Dear Derby - what a fabulous "I am retired!" post :D First a leave of absence, then full retirment at 59 years young, then losing 30 pounds :mrgreen:

We've included you on this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call - congratulations!

Now about these trips you've planned - Antarctica is really cold and there's lots of ice and snow - I don't know, adventure yes, but you'll freeze your feathers :annoyed How about some warm retirement unwinding bliss 8-)

versus --

MnD

Post by MnD »

I made it - out the door at 5:15pm last Friday. Made a goal in 1990 to be able to retire in 2018 in my mid-50's and it worked out.
Last few weeks were crazy due to a whole bunch of administrative and work process deadlines and reorg related changes coinciding with all the hand-off work to my replacements. I farmed out my job portfolio piecemeal to 3 different people as it really didn't make sense to keep my 3 main programs/projects together after I left.

Friday morning I still had a todo list of 12 things but got it done! A few people saw me scrambling and were like "why bother?".
But I haven't barely even thought about work since I left because I got everyone trained and all the key things set up and handed off.
I would not have been happy to leave problems or "loose ends".

My professional association had a nice early evening social for me earlier in the month at our annual meeting in New York and my colleagues here locally had a similiar event mid-week last week after work. :beer
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

Just graduated today. Walked out that door one last time. Thanks to all the Bogleheads for their help.
smithmmark

Post by smithmmark »

This Friday is my last day at work. A big "Thanks" to all the Bogleheads!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MnD wrote: I made it - out the door at 5:15pm last Friday. Made a goal in 1990 to be able to retire in 2018 in my mid-50's and it worked out. Last few weeks were crazy due to a whole bunch of administrative and work process deadlines and reorg related changes coinciding with all the hand-off work to my replacements. I farmed out my job portfolio piecemeal to 3 different people as it really didn't make sense to keep my 3 main programs/projects together after I left.

Friday morning I still had a todo list of 12 things but got it done! A few people saw me scrambling and were like "why bother?".
But I haven't barely even thought about work since I left because I got everyone trained and all the key things set up and handed off.
I would not have been happy to leave problems or "loose ends".

My professional association had a nice early evening social for me earlier in the month at our annual meeting in New York and my colleagues here locally had a similar event mid-week last week after work. :beer

Dear MnD - Our heart-felt congratulations for meeting your long-standing retirement goals and nicely wrapping up your long career! You must feel so satisfied - what a good feeling - we feel warm and happy just reading your post :happy What a class act to train everyone and not leave loose ends or problems.

It's a nice description of putting your best into whatever you do at all times, reaping personal satisfaction and sincere professional admiration.

(Pablo Casals)

MnD, we wish you the best in this next phase of your life 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

metalworking wrote: Just graduated today. Walked out that door one last time. Thanks to all the Bogleheads for their help.
Best wishes for an exciting and enjoyable retirement :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

smithmmark wrote: This Friday is my last day at work. A big "Thanks" to all the Bogleheads!
We're delighted to include you in this Fantabulous Class - and we all know that Taylor and Mel and all the other founders and contributors to this extraordinary website are happy to have made a difference in your investing and retirement life :D You are one of 3 members of this class who joined the Bogleheads in 2007, the year this website was founded, 11 years ago. Your portfolio must be awesome :D

Enjoy your new freedom and keep us posted on what you're doing 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MarkDK wrote: I'll be stopping work in 10 days, I am 59 years old and getting stoked!

Will be rolling my pension and 401k to Vanguard where I already hold a small Roth and a taxable brokerage of modest proportions.
Welcome to the Bogleheads MarkDK, and congratulations on your retirement and "getting stoked"! Looks like your R-date is Dec. 19, 2018, so I moved your 2019 Roll Call post to here, the Retirement Class of 2018. :happy

According to Google, "getting stoked" is "to be completely and intensely enthusiastic, exhilarated, or excited about something. Being stoked is the epitome of all being. When one is stoked, there is no limit to what one can do."

You must have some awesome adventures planned for your retirement 8-)
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Today was my last day at MegaCorp. :sharebeer It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WestUniversity wrote: Today was my last day at MegaCorp. :sharebeer It was interesting. Still trying to process it all. More later....
Thank you for the update, we'll note your R-date as Dec. 14 :happy Enjoy your new freedom and don't even try "to process it all" - that's WORK :oops: and you're done with work!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The excited members of the Retirement Class of 2018 are frantically cramming for their finals so they can PUNCH OUT before the year closes 8-)

So far we have 60 very happy graduates :D

Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!! :sharebeer
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
15 Jan - wwhan (64)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc (52)
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30's)
01 Jun - not_slow_n_steady (60)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview
03 Aug - Sparky1500
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)
05 Sep - The Stone Wall <<== Welcome to the Class!!
14 Sep - Griffkat (56)
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
28 Sep - TravelGeek
28 Sep - galawdawg
30 Sep - nova1968
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
12 Oct - bayview (64)
12 Oct - PaHumbug
15 Oct - when i'm 64 (64)
26 Oct - treadingwater <<== Welcome to the Class!!
01 Nov - 2pedals (59)
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
01 Nov - Derby (59) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Nov - busdriver (65)
30 Nov - MnD (mid-50's)
30 Nov - WPauley (55)
01 Dec - BarbBrooklyn
04 Dec - metalworking <<== Welcome to the Class!!
07 Dec - smithmmark <<== Welcome to the Class!!
14 Dec - WestUniversity <<== Welcome to the Class!!
14 Dec - PaunchyPirate <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Graduating ASAP - and not a minute later :D
19 Dec - MarkDK (59) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
21 Dec - Blanket Fort (51)
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog
31 Dec - jazman12
__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Friday, December 14, 2018 was my last day at MegaCorp. No regrets and no looking back. Onward to the next phase of my life.

PaunchyPirate
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 pm
jazman12 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy
. . . . . .
31 Dec jazman12
jazman12 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am
Miriam2 wrote:Lining up for the 2019 Roll Call Bell :D
December 31st 2018... officially out of the game!
Jazman12 is SOOO eager to retire that he posted in the Retirement Class of 2018 AND 2019! :D :D

Now this brings up a Roll Call Conundrum - what is our retirement date :confused

Is it the date of our last day of work, or the next day when we are free from work :?:

The Retirement Roll Call uses the protocols set forth by Lady Victoria, our founding mother 8-)

Lady Victoria never addressed this conundrum before she set out on her wild retirement adventures, so we will have to extrapolate from her other pronouncements.

On the Q of whether one is retired or not, she decreed that the Roll Call is self-reporting - that is if you feel that you have punched out and are retired - then by golly, you are retired :D even though you may be engaged in other activities or hobbies or working part-time, pay or no pay.

So, whatever retirement date you self-report - THAT'S the great date we cheer on this Roll Call :sharebeer

I believe we use the same protocol as that for dividends on ex-dividend day: If you aren't in the workforce at the end of the day- - you are effectively RETIRED as of that day. (... similar to SS, if BD is Jan 1, you have achieved the age on Dec 31 and start your next year on the first)

and congrats to the new retirees, welcome to the club third year for me(we'll probably cfs, actually teach you newbies the secret handshake once we get official notice)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Friday, December 14, 2018 was my last day at MegaCorp. No regrets and no looking back. Onward to the next phase of my life.

PaunchyPirate
You're on this Awesome Roll Call, Paunchy Pirate, and what a way to go -
"No regrets and no looking back. Onward to the next phase of my life." We love that spirit 8-)

Best wishes for a long enjoyable retirement :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Nestegg_User wrote: I believe we use the same protocol as that for dividends on ex-dividend day : If you aren't in the workforce at the end of the day- - you are effectively RETIRED as of that day. (... similar to SS, if BD is Jan 1, you have achieved the age on Dec 31 and start your next year on the first)
Sounds good to me. Keep this under your nest egg, but - I love dividends and I love ex-dividend day, and I loved working at my job but I really loved ex-work day better :D
Nestegg_User wrote:. . . and congrats to the new retirees, welcome to the club third year for me(we'll probably cfs, actually teach you newbies the secret handshake once we get official notice)
Do you mean THE secret Bogleheads handshake?
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

sssshh....
SevenBridgesRoad

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 pm
Nestegg_User wrote: I believe we use the same protocol as that for dividends on ex-dividend day : If you aren't in the workforce at the end of the day- - you are effectively RETIRED as of that day. (... similar to SS, if BD is Jan 1, you have achieved the age on Dec 31 and start your next year on the first)
Sounds good to me. Keep this under your nest egg, but - I love dividends and I love ex-dividend day, and I loved working at my job but I really loved ex-work day better :D
Nestegg_User wrote:. . . and congrats to the new retirees, welcome to the club third year for me(we'll probably cfs, actually teach you newbies the secret handshake once we get official notice)
Do you mean THE secret Bogleheads handshake?
Nestegg_User wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:03 pm sssshh....
Secret is safe with me.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Do you mean THE secret Bogleheads handshake?
Nestegg_User wrote: sssshh....
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Secret is safe with me.
The secret is safe - only true Bogleheads will remember it 8-)

https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/81301475

https://pongophotos.zenfolio.com/p10076 ... #h1744f283
SevenBridgesRoad

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:53 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Do you mean THE secret Bogleheads handshake?
Nestegg_User wrote: sssshh....
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Secret is safe with me.
The secret is safe - only true Bogleheads will remember it 8-)

https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/81301475

https://pongophotos.zenfolio.com/p10076 ... #h1744f283
Ok, that’s the best! Really, a secret handshake!
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

Not sure where to begin regarding my ultimate departure. Many things turned out as I expected, others did not, both in good and bad ways. To cut to the chase, the ultimate thing is I’m done… at least as far as my former job is concerned. Now I have a couple of months of transition regarding my medical, pension, work related retirement accounts and other issues. For the most part all of that is simply waiting on prescribed periods of time before making final decisions and completing forms. Since I have already analyzed the financial impacts and made the various decisions for the respective plans, I’m simply waiting on paperwork. After having MegaCorp consume my life for the better part of 3 decades I’m sure it will take some time to fully transition to a life without MegaCorp. The retirement phase of my life has now officially begun. More to come… :D
The Stone Wall

Post by The Stone Wall »

I'm a little late to the roll call. Put me down for Sept 5. I lurked on the site for about 10 years and gained so many insights. Then I purchased the Bogelheads Guide to Retirement Planning. I think I ran FireCalc and I-ORP weekly for about a year! Everything pointed to retirement being viable.

We've purchased an Instant Pot, started making artisan bread, and purchased a chin-up bar for a regimen of push-ups and pull-ups!! :D The site is more than just a great investment discussion.

I've been so busy that I spend a lot less time looking at the site. Given some of the negative news regarding the stock market, I decided to come over to get the great reassurances this site provides. I've got a good stock/bond allocation that I believe in. I may have the ability to do more Roth conversions as a result.

Time for a walk.....
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

The Stone Wall wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm I've been so busy that I spend a lot less time looking at the site. Given some of the negative news regarding the stock market, I decided to come over to get the great reassurances this site provides. I've got a good stock/bond allocation that I believe in. I may have the ability to do more Roth conversions as a result.

Time for a walk.....
Welcome The Stone Wall and congratulations!

I try to ignore most of what I hear in the financial news. With 24 hours a day of airtime to fill, much of what is discussed (obsessed over) is not worth the attention IMHO. Keep the long perspective and don’t get caught up in either the crisis du jour or the irrational exuberance. Depending on the day of the week, one or the other is breathlessly being discussed...
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

Friday, 12/21, was my last day at work (on schedule.)

The near future includes:
no alarm clock
no bedside phone
reading
digitizing lp records
tending to investments
writing over-due investment policy statement
documenting all assets and what should happen in the event of major illnesses or death
increased physical fitness
socializing
travel, 2020 and later
seek1227

Post by seek1227 »

Congratulations blgaarder!!
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Good luck to those who hung it up this year. Hope your AA is appropriate to sail the rough seas. Those who retired in 2012 timed it just right.

TravelforFun
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Stone Wall wrote: I'm a little late to the roll call. Put me down for Sept 5. I lurked on the site for about 10 years and gained so many insights. Then I purchased the Bogelheads Guide to Retirement Planning. I think I ran FireCalc and I-ORP weekly for about a year! Everything pointed to retirement being viable.
Congratulations Stone Wall! Never too late to the Roll Call. You're on this Great List and it's the beginning of a great journey :happy
The Stone Wall wrote:We've purchased an Instant Pot, started making artisan bread, and purchased a chin-up bar for a regimen of push-ups and pull-ups!! :D The site is more than just a great investment discussion.
You can say THAT again 8-) In fact, here is one of many Bogleheads Instant Pot recipe threads. I took my Instant Pot out of the garage and put it in my laundry room - at least it's getting closer to the kitchen . . .

We're all very impressed with your chin-up bar :beer