Memorial Day

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Memorial Day

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 pm

"Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces."

Bogleheads:

The Battle of the Bulge in World War II was the bloodiest single battle in United States history (80,000 killed, wounded and missing). I was there and survived to march in the New York City Victory Parade.

I can still remember the embarrassment I felt being treated as a hero when I knew the real heroes were our soldiers, sailors and airmen who never will return home.

Memorial Day is the most important holiday of all.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

radiowave

Re: Memorial Day

Post by radiowave » Mon May 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Taylor, thank you for your service. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and communities for those in uniform who gave the ultimate sacrifice to keep us free.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Thank you for your service Taylor. And thanks be to all those who laid down their lives for all of us.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you for your service, sir.

Your comments about being treated as a hero are typical of the WW2 vets I have known over the years, particularly at my American Legion Post. They (you) are the most humble men and women I have ever known in spite of their (your) heroic accomplishments saving the world from incredible threats.

Happy Memorial Day and God bless your fallen comrades.
Friar1610

Katie

Post by Katie » Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Thank you for helping us all the remember the meaning of this holiday and to take some time from the day to focus on the people who gave all for freedom.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for your service to our country, and the rest of the free world!

Best regards,
Marcopolo
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Norris

Post by Norris » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you, Taylor, not only for your service, but for again reminding us of all the men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice in all the wars our great country has been involved in. As you know, my father fought at the Battle of the Bulge, 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagle", like yourself. He also made it back or I would not be here. I will always remember when he first saw the WWII Memorial in Washington. He looked back at me and with tears in his eyes said he wished all those who never made it back could have seen the Memorial. I called him a while ago and we had a nice conversation. He is doing well for 92 years of age and I am grateful for that and grateful for the wonderful country that we call home! I always enjoy watching the PBS Memorial Day concert. It seems to get better each year.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

Beardog

Post by Beardog » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you for your service, sir! I seldom post, but read this sub-forum frequently. Your wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated.
Beardog

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Thank you for your service Taylor.
It is humbling to be at any national cemetery and see the loss of life and young ages that our men and women gave their lives to this country.
Young men, young women, fathers, best friends that did not come home.
In memory, this Memorial Day.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon May 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Thank you Taylor, for your service and reminder.

muddyglass

Post by muddyglass » Mon May 29, 2017 11:58 pm

thank you to all the servicemen and servicewomen, past and present, who have all made sacrifices in their own ways for the rest of us.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 am

Grateful to the whole services community

no_surrender

Post by no_surrender » Tue May 30, 2017 4:51 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:The Battle of the Bulge in World War II was the bloodiest single battle in United States history (80,000 killed, wounded and missing). I was there and survived to march in the New York City Victory Parade.
Thank you for your service, Taylor. My grandfather was captured during the Battle of the Bulge. He refused to speak of his experience during the war, but I do know he suffered frostbite on his feet because his boots were taken away from him. I was 19 years old when he passed away...half my lifetime ago as I'm 38 now. Could have sworn I overheard some older gentlemen at his funeral tell a story about escaping the prison on bicycles. Sure wish I had been more mature at the time to engage in conversation with them. My grandmother and my father only tell me he suffered from what we now know as PTSD. Thunder scared him tremendously as it reminded him of what I can only assume were bombs or gunfire. He didn't like fireworks, but allowed me as a youngster to light them off when we visited around Independence Day in the summer while out of school.

Although I'm fortunate to remember him on POW/MIA Day as opposed to Memorial Day, a part of him was lost in that battle. Fairly certain I can speak on behalf of the Boglehead community when I say we are thankful for your service and fortunate that you made it home safely to later contribute such tremendous knowledge to us all.

Lastly, I'd like to share something that my grandfather did for me and his other grandchildren. Eight years ago, 11 years after he passed, my grandmother gave to me the sum of 19 year's worth of savings bonds. Apparently, he purchased a savings bond for me (and his other grandchildren) every year for our birthday. A few had already matured, but my grandmother thought we'd do better with the money if she cashed them out instead of watching them barely keep up with inflation. Some used them for college tuition. My sister paid off a debt. I mulled over it for a couple months and considered buying an expensive timepiece. In the end, I used it with a few hundred dollars of my own money to open a Roth IRA and have not regretted my decision since. Thanks, Pop!

All gave some, some gave all. To my brothers in arms that gave the ultimate sacrifice, salute! We miss you and will never forget you.

Kindest regards,

Kevin

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 am

friar1610 wrote: Your comments about being treated as a hero are typical of the WW2 vets I have known over the years, particularly at my American Legion Post. They (you) are the most humble men and women I have ever known in spite of their (your) heroic accomplishments saving the world from incredible threats.
+1
I couldn't agree more. My Father was a WWII Vet and very seldom talked about his experience. Your generation is truly the Greatest Generation in American History. Thank you for your service then and your continued service to Americans through your sharing of your knowledge and experience on financial matters.

God bless you and all those who serve and have served, especially those and their families who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:"Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces."

Bogleheads:

The Battle of the Bulge in World War II was the bloodiest single battle in United States history (80,000 killed, wounded and missing). I was there and survived to march in the New York City Victory Parade.

I can still remember the embarrassment I felt being treated as a hero when I knew the real heroes were our soldiers, sailors and airmen who never will return home.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,

I was privileged about a week ago to tour the Luxembourg American Cemetery. It is inspiring, and sobering.

Thank you for your service.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue May 30, 2017 7:58 am

Memorial Day was brought home to me in a very powerful way yesterday. At church, one of our members spoke about his service in Afghanistan a few years back. His talk was accompanied by a series of photos shown on screen. Each photo was of a smiling, young soldier who served along with Dave. As the photos rolled through, Dave shared a little about each one - where they were from, what they were like, how they helped Dave while they were deployed... and how they died there. Ten, maybe twelve lives. His Captain, who helped groom Dave into a platoon leader, killed by an IED. His closest friend in the service, wounded in a battle - the rescue helicopter was hoisting him up in to the helicopter when the cable was hit with gunfire and he fell to his death. His high school friend - they enlisted together, served together, but only Dave came home after an ambush.

Now I have known Dave for a couple years, and I knew he served, and we've talked about lots of things. But I never knew he carried that burden. He's a very pleasant guy but even-tempered - never seen him really excited or really upset - but as he shared about his buddies, he broke down a couple times. There were no dry eyes in that room, seeing real faces of real people, their stories told by our friend who was fortunate enough to come home to be able tell them. Even a day later, I'm tearing up while remembering it.

BogleAlltheWay

Post by BogleAlltheWay » Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 am

Thank you Taylor for your service. Thanks to all those who have died defending freedom.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you Taylor for your brave service to our country. I also thank all who have risked it all for our country and especially those who have paid it all.

newtonc

Post by newtonc » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Thank you for your service Taylor. Thanks to all the brave men who have served and those who have died while serving their country.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank You, Taylor Larimore, for your service. Yesterday, my friends & I took time to remember the warriors who did not return home. They, together with all of our veterans, are the brave ones who allow the rest of us to live in the land of the free. Their sacrifice is much appreciated.

Patricia

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Tue May 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Thank you sir for your service and for the reminder.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Wed May 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Taylor, Thank you and all the others who bought, and continue to buy, our liberty.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you for your services Taylor.

jef

Post by jef » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you for your service, Taylor, and thank you Mel and Alec and Rick, and Larry, and Livesoft and Nispirius & other frequent posters for helpling us understand and prosper.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm

prudent wrote:Memorial Day was brought home to me in a very powerful way yesterday. At church, one of our members spoke about his service in Afghanistan a few years back. His talk was accompanied by a series of photos shown on screen. Each photo was of a smiling, young soldier who served along with Dave. As the photos rolled through, Dave shared a little about each one - where they were from, what they were like, how they helped Dave while they were deployed... and how they died there. Ten, maybe twelve lives. His Captain, who helped groom Dave into a platoon leader, killed by an IED. His closest friend in the service, wounded in a battle - the rescue helicopter was hoisting him up in to the helicopter when the cable was hit with gunfire and he fell to his death. His high school friend - they enlisted together, served together, but only Dave came home after an ambush.

Now I have known Dave for a couple years, and I knew he served, and we've talked about lots of things. But I never knew he carried that burden. He's a very pleasant guy but even-tempered - never seen him really excited or really upset - but as he shared about his buddies, he broke down a couple times. There were no dry eyes in that room, seeing real faces of real people, their stories told by our friend who was fortunate enough to come home to be able tell them. Even a day later, I'm tearing up while remembering it.
Prudent, thank you for telling this touching story. There are a lot of heroes out there whose stories
are not told. What a tribute of Dave to his fallen comrades.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:"Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces."

Bogleheads:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor you should not have been embarrassed at all. Indeed it was an honor for you to represent those who fell in battle and thus could not attend the victory parade. They died in your place and in return you represented them well not only at the parade but throughout your life. You have honored them.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Thank you.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:55 pm

nedsaid.

Your words are comforting.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Taylor, I graduated from high school in 1977 and of course the Vietnam War ended in 1975. So no war or even a draft for me. Didn't even have to send in a postcard to register for the draft. Grateful for those who fought particularly when I didn't have to.

I knew a lot of World War II veterans, they were the backbone of a lot of organizations for many years. They understood that there was something greater than themselves and not only served in the military but served in innumerable ways in civilian life.

My father was a Military Police during the Korean War and his unit was loaded on the docks ready to depart several times being called back each time. His MP unit wound up being honor guards at the Presidio in San Francisco. They were the honor guard when McArthur was recalled from Korea and also served at the United Nations when it was based in San Fran. A buddy of his refused a dignitary admittance because the dignitary, who turned out to be the Prime Minister of Japan, was lacking credentials. Dad had what was really good duty.

But even what should have been cozy duty for him wasn't so cozy. One time during a war game, his unit surprised the "enemy" who were war veterans and captured their command headquarters. Someone was surprised and delivered the "death blow" to my father, fortunately just breaking his nose. He also got pretty severe pneumonia during his army years.

Any service, whether it is reserve or guard or done stateside, is good service. It is honorable service whether or not one saw combat or not. Military life, even in peacetime, has its hazards. I think of those guys on the decks of aircraft carriers being around jets, steam catapults, helicopters, and other hazards. It is hard and dangerous work.

I am glad that they country will no longer tolerate mistreatment of our servicemen. Even the Vietnam veterans are getting the thanks and appreciation they didn't receive at first. We have come a long way.

Again, thanks to all who served our country with military service.