Minnesota Bogleheads Meet May 6, 2017

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Fallible

Minnesota Bogleheads Meet May 6, 2017

Post by Fallible » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm

The Minnesota Bogleheads' chapter will hold its main quarterly meeting on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Ridgedale Library in Minnetonka. All meetings are free and open to the public and new members are always welcome, so please join us. If you have questions, just post to this thread. To be added to the mailing list, email us at MNbogleheads@gmail.com.

Library location: 12601 Ridgedale Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55305, 612-543-8800, Rohlf Meeting Room. Directions: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Minneap ... c09473!3e0

AGENDA:

WELCOME: Opening remarks, Bogleheads' philosophy, splinter group updates.

TOPIC OF THE DAY: “Your Money and Your Life.” George Dow, executive career transition consultant. georgedow.com

This session explores how we can develop a thoughtfully diversified life to accompany our carefully diversified financial portfolio. Charles Handy, Irish economist, once described a “portfolio life” as, “A portfolio of activities – some we do for money, some for interest, some for pleasure, some for a cause...the different bits fit together to form a balanced whole...greater than the parts.” This session will focus on how we can reshape our personal, professional and community lives as we build our financial health and well-being. We will make frequent reference to the book, Portfolio Life, by David Corbett. Each of the elements of Corbett’s model will be explored in the keynote presentation and our breakout sessions.

BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS

A. George: Working in the form you want.

B. Diann & Marcia: Learning and self-development

C. Tom: Giving back

D. Bonnie & Phil B: Healthy living and intentional leisure pursuits.

E. Sandra: Investing basics for newer investors: Bogleheads’ philosophy combined with practical suggestions for building a simple, long-term plan.

Upcoming Meetings:

BH Main Group: Feb, May, Aug, Nov. Quarterly meetings on Saturdays at local libraries.

BH East Group: Meets 4X/yr. Caribou, White Bear Ave. No pre-set agenda. Still Phil. buckp@mac.com

BH West Group: fall/winter. Chan or EP library. Sat 10-12. Sandra. MNWestinvest@gmail.com.

BH GenX/Millennial: informal, peer-to-peer. Thursday happy hour. Jeff. mnbogleheads@gmail.com
Last edited by Fallible on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

a2z

Re: Minnesota Bogleheads Meet May 6, 2017

Post by a2z » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 pm

I'll be there. This program looks terrific as other MN Boglehead programs have been as well. Check it out.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 am

Bumping.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Fallible wrote:The Minnesota Bogleheads' chapter will hold its main quarterly meeting on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Ridgedale Library in Minnetonka. All meetings are free and open to the public and new members are always welcome, so please join us. If you have questions, just post to this thread. To be added to the mailing list, email us at MNbogleheads@gmail.com.

Library location: 12601 Ridgedale Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55305, 612-543-8800, Rohlf Meeting Room. Directions: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Minneap ... c09473!3e0

AGENDA:

TOPIC OF THE DAY: “Your Money and Your Life.” George Dow, executive career transition consultant. georgedow.com

This session explores how we can develop a thoughtfully diversified life to accompany our carefully diversified financial portfolio. Charles Handy, Irish economist, once described a “portfolio life” as, “A portfolio of activities – some we do for money, some for interest, some for pleasure, some for a cause...the different bits fit together to form a balanced whole...greater than the parts.” This session will focus on how we can reshape our personal, professional and community lives as we build our financial health and well-being. We will make frequent reference to the book, Portfolio Life, by David Corbett. Each of the elements of Corbett’s model will be explored in the keynote presentation and our breakout sessions.

BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS

E. Sandra: Investing basics for newer investors: Bogleheads’ philosophy combined with practical suggestions for building a simple, long-term plan.

Upcoming Meetings:

BH Main Group: Feb, May, Aug, Nov. Quarterly meetings on Saturdays at local libraries.

BH East Group: Meets 4X/yr. Caribou, White Bear Ave. No pre-set agenda. Still Phil. buckp@mac.com

BH West Group: fall/winter. Chan or EP library. Sat 10-12. Sandra. MNWestinvest@gmail.com.

BH GenX/Millennial: informal, peer-to-peer. Thursday happy hour. Jeff. mnbogleheads@gmail.com
Edit: Updates to delete F breakout.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:32 pm

While I am not knowledgeable about David Corbett's work, I have read about the work Charles Morris did regarding "Ways to Live." There is a chapter devoted to this topic in What Color is Your Parachute in Retirement. It will be interesting to compare the two philosophies as they relate to identifying one's needs, wants, and priorities in retirement.

A key element, of course, is to save and invest so as to have the means to pursue one's "Portfolio Life" or one's "Way to Live" in retirement.

More on that at the meeting I'm sure.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Fallible wrote:The Minnesota Bogleheads' chapter will hold its main quarterly meeting on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Ridgedale Library in Minnetonka. All meetings are free and open to the public and new members are always welcome, so please join us. If you have questions, just post to this thread. To be added to the mailing list, email us at MNbogleheads@gmail.com.

AGENDA:

BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS

The Learning and Self-Development breakout session provides opportunities for discussion of a broad range of professional and personal learning, considering programs within universities and community education, online exploration and in-person local and social experiences. Join us to discuss what more could be in store for enhancing your life!

Diann & Marcia, breakout moderators

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am

Lest one think that the session on investing basics is something they have worked through and beyond, many of the basics are excellent jumping off points for more detailed discussion and analysis. The moderator shared some of her work with me and this is but an example:

Principle 1 - Develop a workable plan. Principle 4 - Manage risk

These two principles can be tied to the fact that active funds and most investors under perform the indexes. Also consider that plans may need to be modified as one ages, and one's risk profile may change as one has more at stake in the market. I could also see an "asset allocation glide path in retirement" discussion stemming from this. I do not mean to scare off new investors from this session as the basic principles by themselves are a great intro to investing.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks to moderators Diann, Marcia, Tom, and Sandra for expanding on your breakout topics. If those interested in attending the May 6 meeting would like more information on the breakouts, just post here.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue May 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Bumping.

rocketrex

Post by rocketrex » Wed May 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Will there be a GenX breakout?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 pm

rocketrex wrote:Will there be a GenX breakout?
Hi rocketrex,

There is no GenX breakout at Saturday's meeting, but I'm now checking with a couple breakout moderators to see whether GenXers might be included in their Sat. breakouts.

Fallible

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Fallible wrote:
rocketrex wrote:Will there be a GenX breakout?
Hi rocketrex,

There is no GenX breakout at Saturday's meeting, but I'm now checking with a couple breakout moderators to see whether GenXers might be included in their Sat. breakouts.
Fallible
rocketrex,

Breakout E for newer investors will include material for all ages, including GenXers, plus time for questions.

Hope you can make it!

Fallible

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 pm

rocketrex

The moderator of the "newer investors" breakout shared her notes with me. It is primarily about investing for retirement - a very appropriate topic for the Genx group. The person moderating is one of the most knowledgeable of the group and has given in depth presentations on a variety of topics. She will certainly be able to get into a fair amount of detail and supporting theories if that of interest to the Genx demographic.

(I'd love to sit in on that one myself but I am moderating a different session.)

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 pm

The session on giving back will explore TIME (where you might commit your time based on your interests), TALENT (explore one’s strengths and experiences), and TREASURE (how to share wealth in a tax efficient manner). We may even touch on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs (basic security, psycho-social needs, and self-actualization.) I’m looking forward to hearing about a broad range of activities that have led to engaging retirement experiences.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you to everyone who put together the meeting. Ken's presentation was very interesting and a great discussion. I also enjoyed my time in the health and leisure breakout session afterwards.

Ryan
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

harvey60

Post by harvey60 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm a grandfather starting to teach my granddaughters who are freshmen in college, about saving and investing. I've been a longtime Vanguard Investor and find the Bogleheads a fine place to begin. Their first books were "The Richest Man in Babylon" and "The Strangest Secret". The third book is "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing (second edition)". Being taught through books is fine but It's my hope to instill in them (by the time they graduate) a sense for active financial goal planning and direction. I would like to attend your meeting with them when it occurs in 2018. How do I find the intended location? Thank You
Harvey60

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Recent meetings have been at the Edina Southdale Library, 2nd floor, main meeting room. The next meeting will be there too -- April 28, 2018 9:30 to 11:30am. I'm on the planning committee so feel free to send me a personal message if you have questions. There will be a broadcast mail about 2 weeks to a month before the meeting and the meeting announcement will be posted on Bogleheads.org about 2 weeks prior to the meeting.

SmithMG

Post by SmithMG » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi I’m new to the forum, but have subscribed to the BH philosophy pretty much since I started investing. I am to a point in my career and investing that I am looking to get some professional advice on several investment and tax planning issues. I live in Minneapolis and was hoping someone in this thread or area might be able to recommend a financial advisor/planner in the area who supports the BH philosophy and can provide guidance a for a fee on a per meeting or some sort of similar fee basis. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

SmithMG wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm
Hi I’m new to the forum, but have subscribed to the BH philosophy pretty much since I started investing. I am to a point in my career and investing that I am looking to get some professional advice on several investment and tax planning issues. I live in Minneapolis and was hoping someone in this thread or area might be able to recommend a financial advisor/planner in the area who supports the BH philosophy and can provide guidance a for a fee on a per meeting or some sort of similar fee basis. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not that many who use advisors on this site. Advisors are often thought of as sales people trying to sell products on commission.