Hawaii Bogleheads, where are you?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
brother7

Hawaii Bogleheads, where are you?

Post by brother7 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 am

Are there any others here besides me?

Honolulu, Island of Oahu - 1

808surfboy

Re: Hawaii Bogleheads, where are you?

Post by 808surfboy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 am

I am also in Honolulu. I check this blog a few times per week.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:29 am

Nords and I are both on Oahu...I think he told me he previously tried to start a BH chapter here but there wasn't enough interest in it. I can't recall how long ago that was though.
Last edited by Van-Guard23 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

t3ztam3nt

Post by t3ztam3nt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Over here from Mililani.
Long time lurker.
How many do we need in order to start a Chapter?

Nords

Post by Nords » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 am

Van-Guard23 wrote:Nords and I are both on Oahu...I think he told me previously he tried to start a BH chapter here but there wasn't enough interest in it. I can't recall how long ago that was though.
t3ztam3nt wrote:Over here from Mililani.
Long time lurker.
Well that only took about nine years!

Here's the thread on the subject:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778
"Additional new Local Chapters can be formed in other cities if there's enough interest. All it takes is for one person to volunteer to be the Chapter coordinator and at least four or more other members who express an interest in forming the Local Chapter and meeting to discuss investing topics of mutual interest. The Chapter coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru but simply communicates with the other members to arrange for the meeting dates, locations and times.Once those requirements are in place, I'll issue that group the next Local Chapter number and add the group's information to the listing here and to the Local Chapter Map."

Here's the Wiki entry with a presentation from an earlier Bogleheads conference on how to run a chapter:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads%C2%AE_local_chapters

With T3Z checking in, we've just met the minimum requirement of five members. (Van-Guard, I realize you may not be a member here for the long term, but at least we made the minimum!) I'd appreciate it if one of you would be willing to coordinate-- among my military personal finance seminars and upcoming travel plans, my calendar has pretty much filled itself out for the next six months.

As an alternative, I'm happy to get together somewhere for coffee. I'm in Mililani too (about a mile from the Town Center) but I'll go anywhere on Oahu for a cup of coffee.

In addition, I'm happy to paddle out at White Plains Beach with anyone who wants to surf (or who wants to learn to surf). I'm there 2-3 mornings per week regardless, so please feel free to join me. Summer south shore surfing season opened this morning with a bang at 3-5 feet with a few six-footers...
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.

t3ztam3nt

Post by t3ztam3nt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 pm

As an alternative, I'm happy to get together somewhere for coffee. I'm in Mililani too (about a mile from the Town Center) but I'll go anywhere on Oahu for a cup of coffee.
Sounds like a plan! With your background, it would be nice to have a "local mentor" when it comes to personal finance.
In addition, I'm happy to paddle out at White Plains Beach with anyone who wants to surf (or who wants to learn to surf). I'm there 2-3 mornings per week regardless, so please feel free to join me. Summer south shore surfing season opened this morning with a bang at 3-5 feet with a few six-footers...
This would be great only if I know how to swim! :oops: (Gotta find a cheap/free instructor. Maybe the local YMCA?)

Nords

Post by Nords » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:21 pm

t3ztam3nt wrote:This would be great only if I know how to swim! :oops: (Gotta find a cheap/free instructor. Maybe the local YMCA?)
Yeah, you'll want to be able to swim. If it's any consolation, the issue is more common than you'd expect. Lifeguards claim that nearly one-third of Oahu's surfers can't swim well enough to chase after their boards if their leash breaks.

I highly recommend the Mililani YMCA. They have a variety of individual and group learn-to-swim classes for adults, and a lot of people sign up. There are also occasionally swim instructors at the MTA rec centers.

I'm working with one woman now who learned to swim at college, and she's a very successful military servicemember, but she is still very nervous in the water. Her swimming skills are "good enough" but she's more likely to freak out and inhale a mouthful of water. We're at the point now where she'll stand in the shorebreak and handle the waist-deep waves, and she's even paddled a longboard about 30 feet out from the beach. I think we have a few more hours of work ahead of us before she feels comfortable enough to paddle out to the inner surf break.
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Nords wrote:As an alternative, I'm happy to get together somewhere for coffee. I'm in Mililani too (about a mile from the Town Center) but I'll go anywhere on Oahu for a cup of coffee.
Nords! How often do you check your portfolio?? Got it on auto pilot, hmm, auto paddle?? 8-)

novicemoney

Post by novicemoney » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 pm

I am in Salt Lake, count me in too (although after what happened on Kaui this week, maybe a non aquatic venue would be good :shock: ).

Nords

Post by Nords » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Nords! How often do you check your portfolio?? Got it on auto pilot, hmm, auto paddle?? 8-)
Heh, pretty much. These days I hardly check it at all.

Fidelity sends me a daily news update if one of our tickers is mentioned, but those are rare for ETFs. I looked at Berkshire Hathaway last month (prompted by a Google Alerts e-mail) to see whether we'd need to rebalance, and I occasionally note the price of an international ETF that we're considering adding to.

Getting me to pay attention to our portfolio would require the markets to drop at least 10%. For the last 18 months we've been living on our cash flow and haven't had to sell a thing.
novicemoney wrote:I am in Salt Lake, count me in too (although after what happened on Kauai this week, maybe a non aquatic venue would be good :shock: ).
At the risk of telling you what you didn't want to know, Hawaii shark attacks are relatively rare. Frankly, surfing is a lot safer than spearfishing or fishing from a kayak.
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/sharks/shark-inc ... nt-graphs/

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Kailua here -- the O'ahu one.

Looks like we're mostly on O'ahu.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Cunobelinus wrote:Kailua here -- the O'ahu one.

Looks like we're mostly on O'ahu.
That comment looks dumb in retrospect -- everyone who has responded lives on O'ahu. I recall seeing some posts from the other islands in the past few years though.

bgrpph

Post by bgrpph » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:48 pm

here in HI Kai close to Sandy's

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm not from Hawaii, but I've probably tried to convince my wife to move to Oahu once per week for the past 6 years. We spent a couple weeks with friends in their beachfront home in Kailua right on Lanikai Beach recently and I was prepared to not come back to Boston. I'm trying to at least make it somewhere we spend considerable time.

We've got family in Boston and NYC, so it's hard to convince her. I walked by Kailua Cardiology and started having fantasies about practicing there once I finish cardiology fellowship.

She says that moving to Hawaii would be a non-Boglehead move. She's not wrong, but maybe if I can prove to her there are enough Bogleheads successfully living there, she'll be more convinced. :P
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 pm

OK...so far, I count the following BHs on Oahu:
bgrpph (Hawaii Kai)
Cunobelinus (Kailua)
Nords (Mililani)
novicemoney (Salt Lake)
t3ztam3nt (Mililani)
Van-Guard23 (Ocean Pointe)
808surfboy (HNL)
brother7 (HNL)

If everyone is interested in meeting and forming a local BH chapter, I would be more than willing to facilitate/arrange that. We can meet for lunch (or coffee) at some central location. Just a matter of agreeing on a date for an initial meeting and go from there. You can PM me with your responses.
Last edited by Van-Guard23 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

rr2

Post by rr2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 pm

I would join but am on Big Island -- Hilo side ;)

advice789

Post by advice789 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 am

While not living in Hawaii, do visit - Appreciate you post dates and times and will try to attend Hnl. - booked to be there early July ,after the 4 th

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 am

Authentic Hawaiian Pake local, Waianae/Kaneohe.
DW and I, Recently retired.
Relocated HCOL to LCOL ....... small town in the mountains of Northern Arizona. Arizona Resident.
(but still have a tiny studio apt in kailua, kawainui side)
Could not afford to retire to Kamuela, my lst choice since forever.. . . shucks.
Homesick for local food. :shock:

Hawaii No Ka Oi

AgentHoopla

Post by AgentHoopla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 am

Last edited by AgentHoopla on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeasaurus

Post by mikeasaurus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Kaneohe here. Willing to join. :D

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 am

Do any of the Hawaii Bogleheads come originally from somewhere far away, such as Boston? Do you travel frequently to see family? How much does it cost to live that type of life? I'd be interested to discuss this privately with someone. If you're willing to, please PM me.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

Nords

Post by Nords » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 pm

bostondan wrote:Do any of the Hawaii Bogleheads come originally from somewhere far away, such as Boston? Do you travel frequently to see family? How much does it cost to live that type of life? I'd be interested to discuss this privately with someone. If you're willing to, please PM me.
Hi, Dan, I grew up in 1960s-70s Pittsburgh. After joining the Navy and seeing the world, by the time we got to Hawaii we were able to recognize a good deal. We've lived here since 1989, and 25 of the last 28 years. There are lots of nice places in the rest of the world, but Hawaii replicates almost all of those nice places on a bunch of small islands.

Travel is a sore point with adapting to Hawaii life. The shortest flight to the Mainland is about five hours, and you have to start early in the morning during rush hour or in the evening on a redeye (because time zones). We prefer longer flights (Houston & Atlanta are favorites) where you can get a little more/better sleep: 5.5 (on a scale of 10) instead of 2.0. (There's even a non-stop from Newark.) The solution to this issue is to take longer trips, so once or twice a year we'll leave Oahu for anywhere from 1-3 months.

Travel is exacerbated on the neighbor islands by frequently having to fly to Oahu to get on the Mainland or Asian flight, although Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii are adding more Mainland & Japan flights every year.

When you move to Hawaii, family (and some friends you never knew you had) will visit you once or twice-- and then it's "too far" or "too expensive". If you have to fly back to the Mainland for family reunions or weddings or to care for elders, you'll start to feel the same way. I'm told that if your kids settle on the Mainland (because they go there for college, and stay there for jobs, and meet a significant other, and...) then it's hard to see your grandkids as often as you'd want. On the other side of that, my parents-in-law lived on Oahu for six years to watch their (only) grandddaughter grow up. They did not acculturate to Hawaii and they were largely miserable for most of that time before moving back to the Mainland.

The biggest issue with the cost of living in Hawaii is real estate. It's cheaper than Manhattan or the Bay Area, but not by much. There are many solutions to this challenge (roommates, multi-generational family homes, fixer-uppers, living way outside of town, remote neighborhoods on neighbor islands) but it's very expensive to replicate the Mainland lifestyle. It's also expensive to replicate a Mainland diet here (although I don't understand why people insist on doing that). However many aspects of Hawaii life are a lot cheaper than the Mainland: I don't "winterize", our house has free tradewind cooling (no A/C or heat needed), I spend less on transportation, our photovoltaic array gives us an $18/month electric bill, we rarely wear socks or shoes (let alone suits or ties), and outdoor recreation is awesome all year long.

Here's a few more things to consider:
http://the-military-guide.com/lifestyle ... in-hawaii/
http://the-military-guide.com/good-reas ... in-hawaii/

Anyone else have more feedback on this?

Feel free to post more questions here, or send me a PM.

CommonCent$

Post by CommonCent$ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Nords wrote:
Van-Guard23 wrote:Nords and I are both on Oahu...I think he told me previously he tried to start a BH chapter here but there wasn't enough interest in it. I can't recall how long ago that was though.
Long time lurker.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778
"

Now that's a Board Meeting!
Thursday?
NNN = "Nobody Knows Nothing"

Nords

Post by Nords » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm

CommonCent$ wrote:
Nords wrote:
Long time lurker.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778
"

Now that's a Board Meeting!
Thursday?
I can't make Thursday-- a blog interview was changed to that morning and I'm already booked for a meeting in town that afternoon.

You're welcome to join us on Wednesday morning or Friday morning! I'll be on the fenceline (eastern) edge of White Plains Beach around 7:30-8 AM on Wednesday with three Mainland friends, and on Friday around 8-8:30 AM. One of them has been here all month learning how to surf, and now he's starting on bottom turns & cutbacks. The other had his first lesson Monday and is about to start paddling into his own waves.

Judging from the forecast, it makes sense to paddle out on Saturday morning too:
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/SRF.php

Let me know if you're able to join us, or send me a PM or e-mail NordsNords at Gmail...

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:35 am

Just to update, based on responses to this thread, I count the following BHs on Oahu:
bgrpph (Hawaii Kai)
Cunobelinus (Kailua)
Nords (Mililani)
*novicemoney (Salt Lake)
*t3ztam3nt (Mililani)
Van-Guard23 (Ocean Pointe)
808surfboy (HNL)
brother7 (HNL)
*AgentHoopla (HNL)
*mikesaurus (Kaneohe)

* denotes those who've expressed a desire to meet up.

pokebowl

Post by pokebowl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 am

Oahu here as well. :beer
There is nothing more expensive than something offered for free.

Imua808

Post by Imua808 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:44 am

Maui here... late to the learning, but gotta start somewhere.

t3ztam3nt

Post by t3ztam3nt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Bumping up to see how everyone on the island is doing.

It sure is starting to get cold at dawn.. :beer

Nords

Post by Nords » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 pm

t3ztam3nt wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm
Bumping up to see how everyone on the island is doing.

It sure is starting to get cold at dawn.. :beer
We got all the way down to 59 degrees this morning! Pretty soon I'm going to have to start wearing a 2 mm long-sleeve neoprene rash guard to hold back the hypothermia...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Anyone willing to step up and be the Local Chapter Coordinator for one or more Island Local Chapters? If so, contact me via PM and we'll get thing moving along.

Aloha,

Mel
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi