HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY BOGLEHEADS FORUM

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
oldzey

Re: HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY BOGLEHEADS FORUM

Post by oldzey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Congratulations on reaching a double digit age. What a long strange trip it's been.

Thank you to those who took on this labor of love and turned it into a REALLY BIG DEAL: tashina at the very start; Mel, Taylor, Alex and Larry in short order; and countless others since.

I check in very rarely these days but it's a pleasure to see the buzz of activity as everyone, out of the goodness of their hearts and with no thought to putting a nickel into their own pockets, provides terrific financial advice to anyone who asks. Kudos to all.

To those who may not know this forum's history, Phoenix started this forum and subsequently handed it over to Larry Auton (mingstar) and Alex Frakt. See: Bon voyage

So, it's a hand-me-down... 8-)
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Congratulations on reaching a double digit age. What a long strange trip it's been.

Thank you to those who took on this labor of love and turned it into a REALLY BIG DEAL: tashina at the very start; Mel, Taylor, Alex and Larry in short order; and countless others since.

I check in very rarely these days but it's a pleasure to see the buzz of activity as everyone, out of the goodness of their hearts and with no thought to putting a nickel into their own pockets, provides terrific financial advice to anyone who asks. Kudos to all.

To those who may not know this forum's history, Phoenix started this forum and subsequently handed it over to Larry Auton (mingstar) and Alex Frakt. See: Bon voyage

I was not aware that Phoenix got the ball rolling - I had noticed he's the first registered member in the member list but didn't know why. Now I do!

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm

This has been an amazing journey from Morningstar to this website. Who would have believed that it would have lasted 10 years? Credit goes to everyone who has worked to keep it going. May we celebrate another 10 years.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm

As I'm almost a newbie (only joined in '09 after lurking for about a year) I have to say congratulations :beer

Dieharder

Post by Dieharder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:I might be the only one who still types in diehards.org.

Nope, you are not alone :) it's a few letters short to type in and old habits die hard (sic)

Happy 10th to all. Life wouldn't have been same without this forum and the amazing group of people, not to mention the great Jack Bogle.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 am

White Coat Investor wrote:I might be the only one who still types in diehards.org.

No, you're not the only one. I do, too.

And, I know for a fact that 10 years is an understatement because I was reading Diehards WAY back when ...

https://personal.vanguard.com/bogle_site/sp20060515.htm

Tom1320

Post by Tom1320 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 am

Hmmm....who got to blow out the candles on the cake?

As a new member, thanks to all of you that make this interactive library on finance and investing possible. From Mr. Bogle on down, by sharing your knowledge you have given me the tools to secure the financial future of my family.
"And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! - Our 16th President

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 am

Just got back from celebrating my 50th birthday and I find out that I share a birthday with my favorite forum!

Happy Birthday Bogleheads! And thanks to everyone that works so hard to make it a special place!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 am

Wow......just saw this thread.......10th Anniversary.......Wow!

Reading some of the history to learn who and how things got started......another Wow!

Jack Bogle replied...........now that is a really BIG WOW! Jack is a GIANT of a man......I own him and all Bogleheads much. You have made a huge difference in my financial life....Thank you everyone! Happy 21st Birthday Jack!!

Christine_NM .......you piqued my interest in Cody's "noise in the attic" thread. Perused the postings and nearly fell off my chair in laughter......now that is great entertainment!! :D :D. Perhaps you should have a " Name Your Favorite Thread" thread.

Congratulations and Happy 10th Birthday to everyone on the BOGLEHEADS FORUM....this is a very special place and you are very special people :beer

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 am

fishandgolf wrote:Perhaps you should have a " Name Your Favorite Thread Topic" thread topic.**

How about favorite bogleheads posts?

Teaching a member to fish (pun intended) opportunity, I quickly found it by using search. Parameters I used where:
  • Search for keywords: set to 'favorite'
  • set Search within: to 'Topic titles only'.
  • To further simplify the results, set Display results as: to 'Topics'.
** The forum software uses topic, not thread
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

My vote would be MarketTimers 29-page thread describing his blow-by-blow meltdown trying to time the market (underwater during a fairly large time in the process)

I'm sure those of us here at that time surely remember it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm

To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

market timer was not trying to time the market, not really. He was, however, unlucky with his timing.

That, and stlutz's final definitive threads are the um, definitive Boglehead threads.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 am

Today is my 10-year anniversary of the Bogleheads Forum membership. I am grateful to the Forum for directing me to a successful retirement.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 am

VictoriaF wrote:Today is my 10-year anniversary of the Bogleheads Forum membership. I am grateful to the Forum for directing me to a successful retirement.

Victoria

This Friday, March 3, will be my ten-year anniversary.
Gordon

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

I've only been actively posting here for about the last 5 years, but I learned a lot from the forum even before I ever had a username. Such a gift to the investing community.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:06 pm

gkaplan wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Today is my 10-year anniversary of the Bogleheads Forum membership. I am grateful to the Forum for directing me to a successful retirement.

Victoria

This Friday, March 3, will be my ten-year anniversary.

Happy 10th to two valued members.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi