Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
ZugZwang

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by ZugZwang » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm

"a situation found in chess and other games wherein one player is put at a disadvantage because they must make a move when they would prefer to pass and not move."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zugzwang

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 am

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:
Noobvestor wrote:It means I lack foresight.
maybe, but you're witty
:beer
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 am

It is the genus name for a particular genera of saltwater fish. Technically I should have capitalized it I guess...

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 am

acanthurus wrote:It is the genus name for a particular genera of saltwater fish. Technically I should have capitalized it I guess...
Hello fellow aquatically inspired username person :)

I limit my fish keeping skills to the complexity level of African rift lake cichlids or medium-light-level planted tanks though. I've never forayed into the saltwater realm.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:47 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
acanthurus wrote:It is the genus name for a particular genera of saltwater fish. Technically I should have capitalized it I guess...
Hello fellow aquatically inspired username person :)

I limit my fish keeping skills to the complexity level of African rift lake cichlids or medium-light-level planted tanks though. I've never forayed into the saltwater realm.
I've had everything under the sun, and after years of saltwater gave it up for hi-tech planted and very low tech african cichlid tanks :) A massive die off in a reef tank is just soul destroying. If a planted tank gets out of whack with the ferts and light and CO2 I just tear down, go to the next meetup, and get other people's clippings and I'm back up and running :beer My planted tanks are the aquatic equivalent of a heroin addict doing blow followed by xanax to try and keep everything balanced.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 pm

I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Frank Grimes wrote:I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

I don't see the connection.
Gordon

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Frank Grimes wrote:I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

I don't see the connection.
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Frank_Grimes

Skiwagon2

Post by Skiwagon2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:34 pm

When I set up my first email account with Yahoo.....I was put in touch with someone in India to set the account up. I was flying a Cessna Skywagon II back and forth to work at the time.....so I was going to be Skywagon2. The customer service guy spelled it Skiwagon instead of Skywagon. I have never had a problem with anyone else having that email handle.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am

Well, it is either an ironic name that does not apply when things are going well in terms of investing, or a statement of fact during other occasions! A name for all investing seasons.

Tim

Pursuitofquality

Post by Pursuitofquality » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Pursuit of quality in all areas of my life :happy

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Skiwagon2 wrote:When I set up my first email account with Yahoo.....I was put in touch with someone in India to set the account up.
:!:
Did anyone else play Acquire as a child?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 pm

I hated business travel.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

I missed the target :oops:

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:15 am

Mine has nothing to do with The Dude in the cult classic The Big Lebowski although I think people make that assumption. I'm a big comedy fan, but I was underwhelmed by that movie.

My dad was always called "Dude" because of our last name; therefore, I am Dude2. It's kind of an homage to rich people that name their children the same as them -- something you might associate with an investment forum.

RetiredMule

Post by RetiredMule » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 am

Mine is meaningful to me in two ways:
1) R and M are the initials of my name
2) Like many of us who have worked and retired, I've been carrying too many financial burdens, with some off my back now. A bit happier now that I'm retired, though on a paper-thin margin, too close for comfort :wink:

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:18 am

When I was seven I read a Donald duck comic where he enters Scrooge McDuck's office. On the wall was a plaque with the quote "A penny saved is a penny earned".

That's stuck with me ever since.

IMO

Post by IMO » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 am

"IMO" means "In My Opinion"

It always bothers me when essentially everything you post on a forum is something that is obviously "your opinion" but as some weird explanation or apology, you have to 1st clarify that what you are about to say/type going is "your opinion" so you type "IMO." So instead of just writing what is obviously your opinion, you have to type "IMO" just so someone wouldn't accidently think you were stating someone else's opinion or as a sort of apology on what you are going to say/type so that you won't get as much backlash if someone doesn't agree with your opinion. It's all sort of like saying or typing "I think" before everything you say.

So my user name is IMO which means everything I type is In My Opinion . . . just to clarify for those who may have thought otherwise.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am

Mine is the name of my cat. When I signed up for the forum, I couldn't think of a name but my cat was sitting next to me and I thought, why not?

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

Mrs. Uniballer (she hates that name :wink: ) and I raised a Labrador Retriever puppy for Guiding Eyes for the Blind who turned out to be cryptorchid. So "Uniballer" became his nickname. I started using it on web forums, more or less in his memory, some years ago.