Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Jimbo9911

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by Jimbo9911 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Part of it is my first name. The 9911 means nothing special. I have used this user name many places and as for the picture, I just think it is kind of cool.
Jim

Hooked

Post by Hooked » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:54 pm

This is a fun topic.

I wanted a username/signature that I could customize for the topic being discussed.

For instance ---

Hooked ...on the many interesting Bogleheads' User Names!!

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:46 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:Please realize that you are in excellent company. One of the greatest geniuses of the 20th Century - John von Neumann - was usually called "Johnny" by his family and friends.

Thanks, I feel better already! I had never heard of him, and just looked him up on Wikipedia -- sounds like an amazing dude...
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:49 pm

David Jay wrote:
KSOC wrote:I like military acronyms.
K is for my last name, so SOuthern Command as I live down south.
When we lived in the north, we were KNOC. NOrthern Command.
When the kids went to college, my financial spreadsheets for them were named KTAC. TAllahassee Command.
Yes, my family thinks I'm very strange.

insightful family...

:D
Too soon old, too late smart.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

My political views. And the fact I misspelled Attila.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Sargent Major someone said. :o

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I think I'll keep you all guessing.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Tare neko: Flat cat (Japanese)

Inspired by Tare Panda, combined with how flat our cats become when they lay on their side.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Well triceratop....I will accept your invitation to guess..............

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Triceratops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triceratops

So....either you have some sorta passion for three horned dinosaurs and you intentionally omitted the "s" at the end of the word or........or...
we've gotta keep on guessing.... :sharebeer

Brewman

Post by Brewman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Well, about 12 or 15 years ago my wife suggested I should get a hobby. Well I thought what do I really enjoy? Drinking good tasting beer came to mind so I decided to "invest" a frugal amount in some home brew equipment and started making my own beer ( before it was trendy), thus the name Brewman. It's a hobby that requires plenty of practice...... :beer but sure is fun!

There is a lot of research involved :mrgreen: :sharebeer

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Ice-nine is a fictional material that plays a role in "Cat's Cradle", a novel by Kurt Vonnegut. It is a solid form of water crystals that melts at 114.4 F. It was originally developed so that Marines wouldn't have to deal with mud. Any water that came into contact with it would morph into yet more ice-nine.

Lillibelle

Post by Lillibelle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Being relatively new and silent, I really enjoyed this thread, which somehow made me feel less intimidated by you Bogelheads.

Well, my user name is both a nod to Neil Young, and a boy, from long ago ~

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Probably self explanatory for most people here but Cosmo is a character in "Seinfeld", one of my favorite sitcoms. Even though I joined this forum at the very beginning, I was very surprised that "Cosmo" was not taken yet. I was fully prepared to use any of Cosmo's alias names on the show.

Some of the ones I was considering:
TheAssman
HEPennypacker
Dr.MartinvanNostrand

Cosmo

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:54 pm

johnny wrote:My name is John... Years ago I had a boss who was really condescending, and he started calling me Johnny, which was quite irritating. A couple of my women co-workers picked up on that, and started calling me Johnny too. In their case it was more of an expression of endearment. As time went on I became more accepting of being called Johnny. A handful of people still call me that.

If I was a new Boglehead today I think I'd pick "catdude" or "catdad" for my user name. For awhile I was doing volunteer work for a cat shelter, and wound up adopting four senior kitties. They're fun to have around -- I enjoy them every day...

I think you are on to something here. All those "cat lady" bumper stickers, but no CAT DUDE bumper stickers! Probably a neglected market of cat dudes out there just waiting to express themselves.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:17 pm

goingup wrote:
gotherelate wrote:I discovered the Bogleheads forum after wandering in the investment desert for longer than many; hence, got here late.

I thought your name was go there late! :wink:

I sometimes experience visual confusion and read it as "go the relate." :wink:

Upon request, a moderator could fix it with some strategic use of capital letters i.e., GotHereLate.

catdude

Post by catdude » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
johnny wrote:My name is John... Years ago I had a boss who was really condescending, and he started calling me Johnny, which was quite irritating. A couple of my women co-workers picked up on that, and started calling me Johnny too. In their case it was more of an expression of endearment. As time went on I became more accepting of being called Johnny. A handful of people still call me that.

If I was a new Boglehead today I think I'd pick "catdude" or "catdad" for my user name. For awhile I was doing volunteer work for a cat shelter, and wound up adopting four senior kitties. They're fun to have around -- I enjoy them every day...

I think you are on to something here. All those "cat lady" bumper stickers, but no CAT DUDE bumper stickers! Probably a neglected market of cat dudes out there just waiting to express themselves.

When I adopted Cat #4, a couple friends asked me if I was becoming a cat lady. :mrgreen:
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

Liveware Problem

Post by Liveware Problem » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 am

My user name sums up my profession, it represents homage to my favorite science fiction writer, and buried deep, hints about my work domain.

Regards
equiv-tech

TSquare

Post by TSquare » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:31 am

I'm a draftsman, although they call us "designers" now-a-days.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 am

johnny wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:

When I adopted Cat #4, a couple friends asked me if I was becoming a cat lady. :mrgreen:

CAT MAN! Actually there is a comic book series somewhere in there too. :sharebeer

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:20 am

When the Superbowl trophy moves to the City of Brotherly love, I will be ready....

JKD GUY

Post by JKD GUY » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 am

JKD is for Jeet Kune Do (bruce lee) and I'm a guy. I got into the martial arts a few years ago and try to train with 2nd generation students when I have the chance.
"Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow" Proverbs 13:11

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am

nisiprius wrote:"that Nisi Prius nuisance, who just now is rather rife,
That judicial humorist--
I've got him on my list."

it just popped into my head at a moment when I was trying to think of a screen name that had no particular connection with my real world identity. It's a line from a song in a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, The Mikado, in which a character, Ko-Ko, is making a list of people who could be eliminated and "never would be missed." It's some obscure legal term relating to court procedures in Victorian England. I'm not a lawyer, certainly not a judge. I've done a little bit of Googling and clicking and have concluded that Gilbert and Sullivan connoisseurs have no idea what, or more likely whom, Gilbert was talking about.

For years, whenever I would see it here, I would pronounce it mentally as nee-see-pree-us. Then I looked it up one day, i.e., the legal term nisi prius, and was informed that each of the first three syllables actually rhymes with "eye."

Texflier

Post by Texflier » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:37 am

Texan that enjoys aviation.

gotherelate

Post by gotherelate » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:52 am

beardsworth wrote:
goingup wrote:
gotherelate wrote:I discovered the Bogleheads forum after wandering in the investment desert for longer than many; hence, got here late.

Upon request, a moderator could fix it with some strategic use of capital letters i.e., GotHereLate.

If it ain't broke ...
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.

island

Post by island » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Nothing exotic here. I like islands and I love island vacations, preferably with fabulous tropical beaches, the more deserted the better. 8-)

Great thread. Always thought artic pineapple and myopic squirrel would be good band names.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Praxis is the way we are engaged in the world. It can be defined as "practice".
My judgement improves as I practice making choices.
I get to label it wisdom when my judgement wins and experience when it doesn't.

Praxis also refers to practical action vs thinking
It is Ancient Greek and was used to help explain human endeavor by Aristotle.

Yeah, I know it's kind of lofty, but I believe in:

1. personal responsibility
2. moving from talking about it to making a commitment

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:30 pm

beardsworth wrote:
goingup wrote:

I'm not sure how I missed those. I read it as "Goth Erel ate".

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:02 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
beardsworth wrote:
goingup wrote:

I'm not sure how I missed those. I read it as "Goth Erel ate[/color]".

gotherelate wrote:If it ain't broke ...

How much more evidence do you need that it's at least partly broke?

Of course, everybody has the right to call himself whatever he wants, but, as I mentioned above, a moderator could, at your request, promote better reader comprehension of your chosen name by making a small change from the run-on words of gotherelate to the way you really mean it to be understood: GotHereLate. My suggestion is intended as friendly, but the choice remains yours.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Love looking at the night sky.

stargazer

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Last edited by stargazer on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packet

Post by packet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:43 pm

IT guy. Picked this name a long time ago when I could actually read packet traces... happened to be available here.

The truth is in the packet.

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:46 pm

No, I don't own or drive crossover vehicles; I haven't even driven very much since getting my license many years ago. Living in a big city, it's almost as expensive as renting another apartment as it is to rent a parking space. Actually, a crossover artist is one who sings opera and can also do musicals (plus I can move well). I've done both, as well as acting in plays, films, commercials, etc. It's good to have flexibility in a crazy, unpredictable field. So while I've sung opera professionally, I am also a trained actor who can do Shakespeare and other non-musical things as well. I've also had my share of office jobs and other gigs over the years. It's called diversification. :)
Last edited by CrossOverGuy on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I spent a long time as a dirtdart. It sort of broke me, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Strider

Post by Strider » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 pm

My user name is from the Lord of the Rings (the name that the hobbits used for Aragorn).

[Response to OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:11 pm

I removed a few off-topic comments. If anyone has a question regarding a locked thread (or why it was not locked), do not post comments. Instead, please PM a moderator. See: Member Rights in a Dispute, 2nd paragraph.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

logicteach

Post by logicteach » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I think mine's probably self-explanatory. I'm a philosopher who has taught logic for the past twenty years. Not very imaginative as user names go, but I couldn't think of anything clever.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

3504PIR stands for 3d Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment from the 82d Airborne Division aka the unit I went to Afghanistan and Iraq with. I spent most of my Army career in the 82d, serving in the 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment and the 504th - all 3 regiments that have historically made up the Division. 3/504 is where my heart is although all were great. For historical reference, 3/504 was the battalion commanded by MAJ Julian Cook that assaulted the Waal River in flimsy boats in order to capture the German side of the bridge in Nijmegen, Holland during Operation Market Garden in September 1944. Robert Redford played MAJ Cook in A Bridge Too Far if you've seen that epic movie.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:14 pm

triceratop wrote:I think I'll keep you all guessing.

Erica R. Pott?
Did anyone else play Acquire as a child?

tyro

Post by tyro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm

PriceOfFreedom wrote:My family history in the past century is fleeing oppression.

My grandparents fled Russia in 1917 during the revolution and ended up in China.

My parents fled China during the Chinese revolution in 1949 and eventually ended up in Canada.

We left Quebec when the separatists came to power in 1976 and eventually ended up in America.

How history may have turned out differently had people valued their freedom more is always in my thoughts.

Hence the quote sometimes attribute to Thomas Jefferson is the basis for my user name:

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

Interesting. Harbin Russians or Mongolians?

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:30 pm

IceNine wrote:Ice-nine is a fictional material that plays a role in "Cat's Cradle", a novel by Kurt Vonnegut. It is a solid form of water crystals that melts at 114.4 F. It was originally developed so that Marines wouldn't have to deal with mud. Any water that came into contact with it would morph into yet more ice-nine.

Why did you choose this name? Are you pessimistic about the market's future?

Also, you left out the best part - tell them how the book ends!

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Mine means nothing. Sorry there isn't a more interesting story behind it.

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:50 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
IceNine wrote:Ice-nine is a fictional material that plays a role in "Cat's Cradle", a novel by Kurt Vonnegut. It is a solid form of water crystals that melts at 114.4 F. It was originally developed so that Marines wouldn't have to deal with mud. Any water that came into contact with it would morph into yet more ice-nine.

Why did you choose this name? Are you pessimistic about the market's future?

Also, you left out the best part - tell them how the book ends!

Nothing to do with my thoughts on the market. Just a way to maintain anonymity.

As for the book... Well... let's just say that hilarity ensues. Live by the "harmless untruths" that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm a historian so I usually use historical avatars. Especially like this one because it coincides with my name and interest in premodern military history. The 20th legion is Valeria Victrix and was the last Roman legion to leave Britain. After that you're in Arthurian legendary time, or Late Antiquity as we call it now. I'm glad that Dark Ages has gone out of use, just too creepy right now.

Vic

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 pm

beardsworth wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
beardsworth wrote:
goingup wrote:

I'm not sure how I missed those. I read it as "Goth Erel ate[/color]".

gotherelate wrote:If it ain't broke ...

How much more evidence do you need that it's at least partly broke?

Of course, everybody has the right to call himself whatever he wants, but, as I mentioned above, a moderator could, at your request, promote better reader comprehension of your chosen name by making a small change from the run-on words of gotherelate to the way you really mean it to be understood: GotHereLate. My suggestion is intended as friendly, but the choice remains yours.

I like "gotherelate" the way it is. I have actually read it as, "got here late" - "go the relate" - and "go there late". It keeps everyone confused as it should. I just like the camper avatar. Don't change gotherelate......don't change.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Mine is an old nickname from college, circa 1987.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 pm

First name of a very motivated friend in the Navy and the year of my first email

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:18 pm

triceratop wrote:I think I'll keep you all guessing.

Me too.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:43 am

JupiterJones wrote:
Billionaire wrote:
NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
Billionaire wrote:An adjective that describes me.

Sick life

You seem upset. I've been very fortunate, along with a bit of luck and skill.

I don't think he meant sick as in "sick". He meant sick as in "wicked".

But not wicked as in "wicked". He meant it like, you know, "bad".

But not bad as in "bad", but as in good. You know? :D

Precisely!! Not upset in the slightest mate. ;)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 am

This is a mudpuppy: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2 ... v_GID=1655

I have degrees in both biology and computer science. While my career is in the later, I have not forgotten the former. The mudpuppy and axolotl tanks really interested me when I was younger, and I started my programming experience by programming on MUDs, so the name seemed a good homage to both.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:19 am

whonoze wrote:Spur of the moment decision.
Maybe.
What do you think?

My bad pun side compels me to reply to this question with "who knows". (pun hint: look at the username)

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 am

My name is Peter and I live in Japan. Seemed like a no brainer.