Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ZugZwang

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by ZugZwang »

"a situation found in chess and other games wherein one player is put at a disadvantage because they must make a move when they would prefer to pass and not move."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zugzwang
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:
Noobvestor wrote:It means I lack foresight.
maybe, but you're witty
:beer
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

acanthurus wrote:It is the genus name for a particular genera of saltwater fish. Technically I should have capitalized it I guess...
Hello fellow aquatically inspired username person :)

I limit my fish keeping skills to the complexity level of African rift lake cichlids or medium-light-level planted tanks though. I've never forayed into the saltwater realm.
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Frank Grimes wrote:I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

I don't see the connection.
Gordon
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

gkaplan wrote:
Frank Grimes wrote:I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

I don't see the connection.
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Frank_Grimes
Skiwagon2

Post by Skiwagon2 »

When I set up my first email account with Yahoo.....I was put in touch with someone in India to set the account up. I was flying a Cessna Skywagon II back and forth to work at the time.....so I was going to be Skywagon2. The customer service guy spelled it Skiwagon instead of Skywagon. I have never had a problem with anyone else having that email handle.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Well, it is either an ironic name that does not apply when things are going well in terms of investing, or a statement of fact during other occasions! A name for all investing seasons.

Tim
Pursuitofquality

Post by Pursuitofquality »

Pursuit of quality in all areas of my life :happy
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Skiwagon2 wrote:When I set up my first email account with Yahoo.....I was put in touch with someone in India to set the account up.
:!:
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I hated business travel.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

I missed the target :oops:
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Mine has nothing to do with The Dude in the cult classic The Big Lebowski although I think people make that assumption. I'm a big comedy fan, but I was underwhelmed by that movie.

My dad was always called "Dude" because of our last name; therefore, I am Dude2. It's kind of an homage to rich people that name their children the same as them -- something you might associate with an investment forum.
RetiredMule

Post by RetiredMule »

Mine is meaningful to me in two ways:
1) R and M are the initials of my name
2) Like many of us who have worked and retired, I've been carrying too many financial burdens, with some off my back now. A bit happier now that I'm retired, though on a paper-thin margin, too close for comfort :wink:
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

When I was seven I read a Donald duck comic where he enters Scrooge McDuck's office. On the wall was a plaque with the quote "A penny saved is a penny earned".

That's stuck with me ever since.
IMO

Post by IMO »

"IMO" means "In My Opinion"

It always bothers me when essentially everything you post on a forum is something that is obviously "your opinion" but as some weird explanation or apology, you have to 1st clarify that what you are about to say/type going is "your opinion" so you type "IMO." So instead of just writing what is obviously your opinion, you have to type "IMO" just so someone wouldn't accidently think you were stating someone else's opinion or as a sort of apology on what you are going to say/type so that you won't get as much backlash if someone doesn't agree with your opinion. It's all sort of like saying or typing "I think" before everything you say.

So my user name is IMO which means everything I type is In My Opinion . . . just to clarify for those who may have thought otherwise.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

Mine is the name of my cat. When I signed up for the forum, I couldn't think of a name but my cat was sitting next to me and I thought, why not?
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

Mrs. Uniballer (she hates that name :wink: ) and I raised a Labrador Retriever puppy for Guiding Eyes for the Blind who turned out to be cryptorchid. So "Uniballer" became his nickname. I started using it on web forums, more or less in his memory, some years ago.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Lots of new folks out there.....many with very interesting Usernames......

some are quite clever like..."neveragain".......boy....can I concur with that one! :oops:

some are straight forward like...."220volt".......must be an electrical engineer? :)

others are cryptic..........."totesmagotes"....or..."bgf"...... :?:

what does your's mean.....?
Last edited by fishandgolf on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Dan Mahowny is the main character in the movie "Owning Mahowny" played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. A true story about a banker that steals millions to feed his compulsive gambling habit. Great movie!
Funding secured
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

Mine is the first electric guitar I bought a Gibson L6s. At one point Keith Richards, Paul Stanley and Sanatana all played this model. Sadly, while most classic Gibson guitars went way up in value this one did not, I bought the GE of Guitars not the Apple 8-)
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

fishandgolf wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm
others are cryptic..........."totesmagotes"....or..."bgf"...... :?:
"totesmagotes" is a reference to the movie I Love You, Man. Which I find hilarious.

Mine is a combination of the generic title for a Sith Lord (in Star Wars lore), plus a mythical place from a Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem.

In Xanadu did Kublai Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

That's the beginning. Interestingly, it's been posited (perhaps from STC's own writings) that Coleridge allegedly awoke from an opium-induced haze with this memory and began furiously writing the lines down, only to be interrupted by a visitor and have the rest of the vision evaporate from his head. :shock:
Brain

Post by Brain »

Um...because I'm super smart, duh!

While that may be true, the real reason is that when I was born (or shortly thereafter, more likely) the clerk who typed up my birth certificate misspelled my first name, striked it out, and then typed the correct name. S/he must have known something!
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Darth Xanadu wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm Mine is a combination of the generic title for a Sith Lord (in Star Wars lore), plus a mythical place from a Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem.

Down to a sunless sea.

That's the beginning. Interestingly, it's been posited (perhaps from STC's own writings) that Coleridge allegedly awoke from an opium-induced haze with this memory and began furiously writing the lines down, only to be interrupted by a visitor and have the rest of the vision evaporate from his head. :shock:
There is also a Rush song of the same name which is based upon the poem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg
PopArt

Post by PopArt »

Pop Art is one of my many passions in life along with family, travel, food, movies, music, architecture, design and especially personal finance :P
"Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” | Keith Haring
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

In golf, one strikes the ball with visions of grandeur. Once in awhile there is a perfect shot.
But, for the most part it's a game of misses and survival and damage control.
Nobody is immune. Even pros on tour flub, top, shank :shock: , dig, and hack their way through an 18 hole round.

Like life. I'm inevitably in a "Sandtrap" and making the best of things.

Of course, standing with my feet in the sand on Kailua Beach in the morning is a bit better than standing in a sand trap on the 1st hole of golf. :shock:
mahalo
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

West University is an incorporated city within Houston. Technically is called West University Place. The name of the city is derived from its proximity to Rice University. It’s located west of the University. There is more to it than that as far as my username is concerned, but I’ll leave it at that... 8-)
Redtees

Post by Redtees »

I play golf from the red tees! 8-)
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

FYI, a UN that I used on CollegeConfidential, when DS was attending the most expensive college in the USA. :oops:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

Uniballer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am Mrs. Uniballer (she hates that name :wink: ) and I raised a Labrador Retriever puppy for Guiding Eyes for the Blind who turned out to be cryptorchid. So "Uniballer" became his nickname. I started using it on web forums, more or less in his memory, some years ago.
I assume that, out of a wish to be consistent, this is your preferred handwriting instrument? :)

https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-Vision- ... B00006IE8J
Redtees

Post by Redtees »

catdude wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm
FreeAtLast wrote:Please realize that you are in excellent company. One of the greatest geniuses of the 20th Century - John von Neumann - was usually called "Johnny" by his family and friends.
Thanks, I feel better already! I had never heard of him, and just looked him up on Wikipedia -- sounds like an amazing dude...
Could be worse...your co-workers might have called you JohnnyCat! :shock:
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Redtees wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm I play golf from the red tees! 8-)

I play golf and at times, struggle getting the ball past the red tees :annoyed
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

+1
Palmer encouraged golfers to play to their own game by using the appropriate tees.
Red Tees are called, "Senior Tees".
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 am
+1
Palmer encouraged golfers to play to their own game by using the appropriate tees.
....oops.....my bad. I'm still a neophyte at the game of golf. Didn't know the color of the tee had a designation. :oops: My reference was the red markers from the tee box.... Thanks for the clarification..... :thumbsup
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

fishandgolf wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 am
+1
....oops.....my bad. I'm still a neophyte at the game of golf. Didn't know the color of the tee had a designation. :oops: My reference was the red markers from the tee box.... Thanks for the clarification..... :thumbsup
Actually they are named "forward tee's" and long been nicknamed "ladies tees" so even guys that think they drive 300 yards because they did it once on the driving range but actually barely drive 200 straight should play the ladies tees to speed up play but don't.
Thus, Arnold Palmer and other legends have been pushing folks to "play forward" to within their "average in control driving distance" to reduce 6 hour rounds.
The senior groups and clubs I've played in for many years call them "senior tees". Though there are some stubborn holdouts that refuse to play those "ladies tees" (red) despite driving only 175 yards.

Have fun,
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

beardsworth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm I assume that, out of a wish to be consistent, this is your preferred handwriting instrument? :)

https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-Vision- ... B00006IE8J
Naaah. I try not to hand write anything that involved... Black Sharpie for me.
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

It’s from a very cheesy song that I can’t hear without crying. Simon and Garfunkel.

I think it was written before I was born but it speaks to me every time about what family is all about.
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Love to ski, had Gi Joes as a kid. The skier was was my favorite.

Redtees

Post by Redtees »

+1
I play from the red tees because it is my right and privilege as a woman! :D And it would speed up the game if people chose their tees by their index rather than their ego!!
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Redtees wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm
+1
Palmer encouraged golfers to play to their own game by using the appropriate tees. :sharebeer
I play from the red tees because it is my right and privilege as a woman! :D And it would speed up the game if people chose their tees by their index rather than their ego!!

:D I enjoy the game of golf for the relaxation.......if I wanted to be in a hurry....I'd get a job :sharebeer

True fact..........this past October, while spending a relaxing day on the course, I had the privilege to observe a bald ego soaring in air currents against the blues skies.......very cool indeed :sharebeer
Last edited by fishandgolf on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

Mine is derived from the Latin caligo meaning fog or gloom and adapted to World of Warcraft-style male blue dragonflight names, the most well-known one being Malygos (and Sindragosa for the female names). It's the name I used for my main character in Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Chiss Sith Juggernaut in my avatar.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm
Darth Xanadu wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm Mine is a combination of the generic title for a Sith Lord (in Star Wars lore), plus a mythical place from a Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem.

Down to a sunless sea.

There is also a Rush song of the same name which is based upon the poem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Rush but I definitely appreciate their music, I hadn't heard that before, thanks! Coincidentally, Rush plays a significant role in the movie I separately referenced in my post, I Love You, Man.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Don't know what mine means
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Darth Xanadu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm There is also a Rush song of the same name which is based upon the poem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Rush but I definitely appreciate their music, I hadn't heard that before, thanks! Coincidentally, Rush plays a significant role in the movie I separately referenced in my post, I Love You, Man.
And in another linkage, Xanadu was on the "Exit Stage Left" live album, which also contains the song YYZ. Paul Rudd from "I Love You, Man" joined Rush on-stage during a live performance of YYZ a few years after the movie.
mouses

Post by mouses »

PriceOfFreedom wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:15 pm My family history in the past century is fleeing oppression.

My grandparents fled Russia in 1917 during the revolution and ended up in China.

My parents fled China during the Chinese revolution in 1949 and eventually ended up in Canada.

We left Quebec when the separatists came to power in 1976 and eventually ended up in America.

How history may have turned out differently had people valued their freedom more is always in my thoughts.

Hence the quote sometimes attribute to Thomas Jefferson is the basis for my user name:

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2011/01/ ... berty.html
HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker »

I'm the less successful brother to H.E. Pennypacker, the famous industrialist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4u5vJr11Yk
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I like bears + bearcubs....but I would not want to hug them.lol.
LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 »

Igglesman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:20 am When the Superbowl trophy moves to the City of Brotherly love, I will be ready....
Your day finally came Igglesman! :D
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!