Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
WildBill

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

My name is Bill, and Wild Bill has been my nickname since I was 2 years old. I have no idea why- I am a calm and low key kind of guy. It just started a long time ago and I am stuck with it.

Happy monikers for all

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gullet Fixer

Post by Gullet Fixer »

Gullet fixing is what I do and enjoy
:happy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 pm I chose the user name of one of my favorite authors. (Hope he doesn't mind!) 😊
Priceless! He is one of my favorite authors too!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Xbox assigned me a gamertag when Xbox live first came out. You could pick a name or have Xbox (Microsoft) create it for you. As I lack creativity, bovineplane was born.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:28 pm
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:47 pm Remember “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison?
I remember when we used to sing...
" sha la la . . la la . . la la la . . . "
. . . la di da. . . "

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Piehole

Post by Piehole »

Sometimes my wife tells me to shut my piehole.
"Everything we want, is on the other side of fear" - George Addair
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

I wanted Seabiscuit but it was already taken, so chose WarAdmiral.

Also, Seabiscuit is WestCoast based and WarAdmrial is EastCoast and i'm from the EastCoast.

These are the Race Horses from the 1930s.

https://www.amazon.com/Seabiscuit-Ameri ... 168&sr=8-2
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 pm I chose the user name of one of my favorite authors. (Hope he doesn't mind!) 😊
Priceless! He is one of my favorite authors too!
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoy my work.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Just combined two random names. It has zero relation with who I am in real life.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I was on a Dicken's kick when I first signed up, and always liked the name, though I know it has some unsavory connotations.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

When I wrote the first graphical war game for microcomputers, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, back in 1979, I based the locations on places in Giovanni Guareschi’s books and movies. The best known in the US was The Little World of Don Camillo. But there were several books and one movie in English, and a number of books, movies, and television series in French, Italian and German. The books started as newspaper humor columns, each detailing a conflict between parish priest Don Camillo and communist mayor Peppone in a small village in the Po Valley. This past summer I enjoyed a vacation in Brescello, Italy, where the movies and television shows were filmed, and also visited the Don Camillo museum there. The statue of Don Camillo shown in my avatar is on the town square in front of the church. There is a statue of Peppone on the opposite side of the square. There is a Cafe Peppone on the side of the square opposite the church, and on one side of the square between them is the Cafe Don Camillo. Don Camillo was played in the movies by the actor Fernandel. It was one of my best vacations ever. There was a festival in the town square the weekend I was there, and I also walked down to the Po River a little over a mile from town.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
Mimi2

Post by Mimi2 »

Don Camilo books were so amusing. I still ha r mine.
My Grandmother was Mimi. We look very much alike and were very close.
Thanks to all for a great site
Mimi2
Ordinary things, done consistently, can produce extraordinary results.
Jason95357

Post by Jason95357 »

Just me and my zipcode. Not very creative, but it works well in other forum where geographic matters.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

Viper was my favorite car, but now it's Porsche and Ferrari so I need to think of a new user name.
Picksburgh

Post by Picksburgh »

It’s how yinzers say Pittsburgh. A yinzer is a person who grew up in specific areas of the city, generally blue collar, and speak fluent Pittsbughese.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

I had a different username here, but changed it to something random to protect my privacy because I realized I was using the same username on many sites and that presented a risk.

EFF stands for the "Electronic Frontier Foundation," which protects both privacy rights and free speech online. 81 is not actually the year of my birth, purposefully. It is a random number, the year of birth of a family member.

I wonder about the prudence of doing things like bragging about having a big portfolio on a public forum in which you also reveal identifying information about yourself. I try to keep things generally vague while still conveying information and would advise others to do the same.

Just last week, I within 30 seconds figured out the full name, job and home address of a poster here due to a description that was overly specific. I did that just out of curiosity, as a reminder to myself to be careful in my online communications, and of course would never disclose it, but if I can figure it out, you can bet some people less scrupulous than me can too.

Post by 1789 »

It is the year where man and woman started the strongest collective war against inhuman, totalitarian dictatorships with the goal to reshape the society as we know of today. The year represents a blow to status quo and it is the year to bring a new definition of human rights, woman rights, liberty and slavery.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Well i'm a Hungarian and i'm a bit deranged. So folks have told me.
As far as your chances of tracking me down, there's apparently a number of Mad Hungarians out there, so there's a lot of google noise that might make it tough to locate me in particular.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Many years ago two coworkers gave me that nickname. The first letter in my real name is "G" and I was an accountant. It was a character's name in the movie New Jack City from 1991 which is urban slang for "gangsta"
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

I thought about picking "goodwillmd", but I thought that might be against the rules because it's the name of a specific company. So it got shortened to just thrift
He/him/his
Stratotanker

Post by Stratotanker »

It's a nod to my former unit, which flies the KC-135 (Stratotanker).
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold that occurs in nature. The first metal coins were made of electrum.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Electrum wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold that occurs in nature. The first metal coins were made of electrum.
Sounds like a great name for a cryptocurrency.

Mine comes from the Wagner opera, Die Walküre, the third act overture being better known to American audiences as "Kill the Wabbit!" or the helicopter raid from Apocalypse Now.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Game of Thrones FTW
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Name - a known nickname, and a reference for my icecream making grandparents.

My avatar photo is a different story -------->
I tilt my "haystack" portfolio across all factors, not the standard TSM-large-cap-growth-tilt.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Found on the web today:

“Jack Bogle had a greater impact on the average investor than anyone who ever lived.”
Tomorrow never knows.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I have been bald since my mid 20s. About 30 years ago I was at a picnic when the conversation turned to politics and this lady who was there, and a barber, took the opposite side of a position I held. At some point she made a very annoying statement, looked at me and said: "That's right, isn't it, CURLY".

Well one of my friends heard it and the name "Curly" stuck.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Old Ford commercial skit that nobody remembers, where the rock band wanted a paradoxical name
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:48 am I have been bald since my mid 20s. About 30 years ago I was at a picnic when the conversation turned to politics and this lady who was there, and a barber, took the opposite side of a position I held. At some point she made a very annoying statement, looked at me and said: "That's right, isn't it, CURLY".

Well one of my friends heard it and the name "Curly" stuck.
So when you post on the soaring thread that “the Curly family portfolio has reached a new high”, I should look for a bald guy with a big smile on his face? :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am
So when you post on the soaring thread that “the Curly family portfolio has reached a new high”, I should look for a bald guy with a big smile on his face? :D
Exactly right.

Probably wearing a hat though. I used to think that bald people wore hats out of vanity, but then I was rudely awakened to two important functions of hair. Protection from sunburn and warmth. Looks don't bother me, but those things do.

The Curly Family portfolio is well off its all-time highs, but I am still smiling. We are in a position beyond our wildest dreams.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:16 pm The main character from my favorite TV show. :happy

Though after thinking about it, Hunnicut was probably more likely to be a Boglehead.
Or Potter— I still remember the episode where he paid off his mortgage back home.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Bee represents the letter "B" in honor of Mr. Bogle.

"Beehave" is intended to convey the intention behaving financially in a responsible Boglehead manner both for myself and for any suggestions I make for others here.

Best wishes to all.
Elric

Post by Elric »

Elric is a leading character from Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series of sword and sorcery stories and novels that I really liked in college. Avatar is a photo from a memorable trip. Multiple near-empty bottles of scotch and an axe, what could go wrong?
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

The CRJ is a 50 to 75 seat regional airline aircraft with a reputation for being slow, cheap, old and uncomfortable. Pylote is a sarcastic was to spell Pilot.
PrimalAtom

Post by PrimalAtom »

I love astronomy, physics, cosmology, all that stuff. Although I am not smart enough to be a physicist or cosmologist myself...

I needed a username somewhere else, I think for my PS4, and I settled on PrimevalAtom, which references the first mention of the Big Bang, hypothesized by Georges Lemaitre as the Primeval Atom. He also derived Hubble's Law a couple years before Hubble published his work on the expanding universe. It's a bit funny that it's common in science to have a Law, theory, or equation named after someone who is not the original discoverer or the first to derive the mathematics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

It turns out PrimevalAtom was already taken as a PS4 username, so I shortened it to PrimalAtom, which rolls off the tongue better anyway. I figured I'd use it here on Bogleheads too.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Deleted
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Mando

Post by Mando »

Big Star Wars and The Mandalorian fan. First forum where the name hasn't been taken! :D
This is the Way.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Well, the name should reveal the meaning. As I age, there is greater realization that there are basically two types of folks. One is a Nowizard in multiple areas and knows it, one is a Nowizard in multiple areas and does not know it. As with all things, there are a few outliers who are actually Wizards in some areas. Fortunately, there are several on this site who remind the rest of us on a daily basis :happy

Tim
crnatg

Post by crnatg »

Combo of my profession CRNA = Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist and my initials.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

I combined two Latin words for 'rare eye' in my username.

Now that I've seen my personal returns, maybe I should change my username to...
Ordinaculus

:D
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I used a website that generates random user names for use in signing up for forums. Ironically, I used to be a pilot, and used to live in Australia. Random name generator chose well.
For entertainment purposes only.
novolog

Post by novolog »

A drug I can’t live without :wink:
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

novolog wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:13 pm A drug I can’t live without :wink:
not to nitpick, but Apidra or Humalog would probably do the trick, in a pinch. pinch.. get it? I'll show myself out....
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Marseille = a city in Provence, France. 07 = a number. I've been to France but not to Marseille.
civility

Post by civility »

I chosen the username to remind myself and others on internet forums to be civil even if our viewpoints are not accepted or ignored. Just be kind to each other. I find this username not of much use in this forum as it is one of the most respectful forums I ever came across.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Mashup of parts of last names.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

First stock/fund that I purchased. Still a sentimental favorite :)
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

So long ago I can't even remember
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

A Hobby I picked up about 20 years ago...….
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Mando wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:20 am Big Star Wars and The Mandalorian fan. First forum where the name hasn't been taken! :D
This is the Way...

I have spoken....
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know