Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

qwertyjazz

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by qwertyjazz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm

I type on my phone and autocorrect plus small letters on my phone.
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Billionaire wrote:An adjective that describes me.

Sick life

tyro

Post by tyro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 pm

tyro is a novice or initiate. That describes me for sure. Then after registering I double-checked and found out she was a princess in Greek mythology who got knocked up by Poseidon and some other shenanigans. Oh well.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Third grade nickname making fun of my actual last name. Also the sound that machinery makes when it is not working correctly.

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Nothing exciting here. My name is Bob and am in California. The user name goes back to AOL days (You've got mail!) accessed on a dial up 2400 baud modem using a Compaq computer.
Bob

Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 pm

My favorite hobby, love to fish.....

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:I wanted folks to think I was an author, so I picked an author's name. :D

Ha Ha Ha! Lol

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I like military acronyms.
K is for my last name, so SOuthern Command as I live down south.
When we lived in the north, we were KNOC. NOrthern Command.
When the kids went to college, my financial spreadsheets for them were named KTAC. TAllahassee Command.
Yes, my family thinks I'm very strange.
Too soon old, too late smart.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Im going to let GoldenFinch remain a mystery. As my teenage son would say, "It's not that deep." :happy

cametomysenses

Post by cametomysenses » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Happened when I decided to ditch Morgan Stanley for Vanguard and start learning.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Take a look at my avatar. It is self explanatory. :D

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bligh

This is a nod to the nautical theme on this board as well as Vanguard itself. I also strangely admire the man. In contemporary boating culture, a captain who is foul tempered, strict and un forgiving is sometimes jokingly referred to as "Captain Bligh". As in "Captain Bligh over here made us hand steer the whole night!"

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:10 pm

The replies are really cool.....many folks have put meaningful thought into choosing their USERNAME. When I registered, I was sort of discombobulated as to what it should be.....it was spontaneous and I didn't have a clue what to use.....then "fishandgolf" hit me; actually, I was surprised is worked.

Thanks for sharing your personal insight.....at times it's fun to relax and have a brief hiatus from the money speak.....but only brief :beer
Last edited by fishandgolf on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm

I like English Bulldogs : the one across the pond and the Dawgs in Athens , GA !
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Episode 4 (second season, referred to in U.K. as second "series") from the Wind In the Willows titled, "Bankruptcy" (two summations of the story below from two different websites):

The weasels intercept Billy Rabbit on his paper round one Autumn morning, hoping to steal Toad's Sporting Times and get ahead of him on betting. In this they are disappointed, as Billy is only delivering financial news to Toad Hall. However, after eavesdropping on a conversation between Toad, Mole and Rat, the weasels learn how keen Toad has become on buying shares in companies. Disguised as stockbrokers from the mythical firm Ballsfoot, Ballsfoot and Carbuncle, they talk and flatter Toad into buying a substantial number of shares in the "Arctic Pineapple Corporation". Suspecting nothing, Toad gives up his Rolls-Royce to the phony stockbrokers as a "temporary" token, and then the real trouble begins. The weasels continue to visit Toad with news of other ridiculous companies and projects, in which Toad invests his other valuables. However, the companies rather conveniently go bankrupt, and Toad is told to hand over the deeds of Toad Hall to pay the creditors. Has his naivety finally proved his ultimate undoing?

source: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-wind-in-the ... cy-266936/

The weasels try to steal Toad's newspapers from paperboy Billy Rabbit, but discover that Toad only reads financial news. The weasels pose as stockbrokers and talk Toad into buying shares in the Arctic Pineapple Corporation. Toad does not have the money to pay for the shares, so he gives the weasels his valuables. He buys more shares in the Rubber Brick Company, the Trans-Atlantic Tunnel Project and the Perpetual Motion Knitting Machine. Toad's friends warn him, but he gives up his last valuables for stock in Square-Wheeled Bicycles. The weasels then break the news that all the companies have gone bust and that Toad must hand over the deeds to Toad Hall. Badger gives the weasels what-for.

source: http://www.kennethgrahamesociety.net/co ... series.htm

The moniker "arcticpineapplecorp." is a reminder how hubris can bring a downfall. It's a reminder to not invest in individual stocks. It's a reminder of how stockbrokers can be like weasels (because they're only concerned with their commissions and they'll churn you if you let them). It's a reminder to do your due diligence and not just take others' word as gospel. And finally, it's a reminder of how important one's friends are, to remind you that building lasting memories with them are much more important than trying to get rich from the stock market.

The folly of the name reminded me of the story about why Warren Buffett kept the name of his company Berkshire Hathaway even though he now considers his purchase of Berkshire Hathaway in 1964 to be his biggest investment mistake. For those who aren't aware of the origin of the name of Warren Buffett's company (he's discussed it before -- the name Berkshire Hathaway is a constant reminder to him regarding the importance of keeping an even temperament when investing):

In 1962, Warren Buffett began buying stock in Berkshire Hathaway after noticing a pattern in the price direction of its stock whenever the company closed a mill. Eventually, Buffett acknowledged that the textile business was waning and the company's financial situation was not going to improve. In 1964, Stanton made an oral tender offer of $11 1⁄2 per share for the company to buy back Buffett's shares. Buffett agreed to the deal. A few weeks later, Warren Buffett received the tender offer in writing, but the tender offer was for only $11 3⁄8. Buffett later admitted that this lower, undercutting offer made him angry.[8] Instead of selling at the slightly lower price, Buffett decided to buy more of the stock to take control of the company and fire Stanton (which he did). However, this put Buffett in a situation where he was now majority owner of a textile business that was failing...

In 2010, Buffett claimed that purchasing Berkshire Hathaway was the biggest investment mistake he had ever made, and claimed that it had denied him compounded investment returns of about $200 billion over the subsequent 45 years.[8] Buffett claimed that had he invested that money directly in insurance businesses instead of buying out Berkshire Hathaway (due to what he perceived as a slight by an individual), those investments would have paid off several hundredfold.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

whonoze

Post by whonoze » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Spur of the moment decision.
Maybe.
What do you think?
Just my two cents | Worth about what two cents can buy nowadays

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:17 pm

It's a nickname from work. Nicknames from my rugby team most likely wouldn't go over well here.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

We love Old English Sheepdogs. I was involved with Old English Sheepdog rescue for several years (Old English Sheepdog Rescue of the Southeast). We have our third one. She loves her computer as you can see.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm

One of my great grandfathers. I don't think he ever had a penny to his name but he donated his house to become the church rectory.

Genealogy is one of my hobbies.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 pm

It's a wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey thing.
Run, You Clever Boy!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 pm

The Arnold Palmer Signature design golf course at Turtle Bay Resort on the Island of Oahu in Hawaii is a challenging golf course with over 70 sandtraps.http://www.turtlebayresort.com/Hawaii-Golf/Courses/Palmer-Course
As a teenage golfer, I spent a lot of time in those bunkers. :shock: Decades ago I resolved to be the best bunker player I could be no matter the cost and time. The effort improved my entire game. Precision. Touch. Improvisation. Like life. One swing at a time. But, we can never predict when we're going to land in another sandtrap nor how many strokes it will take to get out.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:54 pm

It is my nickname since I was a kid.

Toast_the_Knowing

Post by Toast_the_Knowing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I like toast and I know things.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:02 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:. . . . . . . they talk and flatter Toad into buying a substantial number of shares in the "Arctic Pineapple Corporation". Suspecting nothing, Toad gives up his Rolls-Royce to the phony stockbrokers as a "temporary" token, and then the real trouble begins. The weasels continue to visit Toad with news of other ridiculous companies and projects, in which Toad invests his other valuables. . . . . . . .

Thanks. That story is incredible.
j

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Had to come up with a user name when signing up for an account. Bent my head down to think without closing my eyes and saw the pajamas I was wearing. So "pajamas" was the first word that came into my consciousness and I went with that as it was the easiest thing to do. I capitalized it because it is a name.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Since I encountered my first Retirement Calculator in my 30s, I figured that a retirement age of 57 was possible. As it happened, those calculators, along with predicted savings rate and returns, were spot-on.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:It's a wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey thing.

Goes ding when there's stuff?

trystero

Post by trystero » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 pm

It's an underground mail system in Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, a novel that had a profound effect on me when I read it in college.
W.A.S.T.E.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:20 pm

22twain wrote:In the movie "Murder by Death," the eccentric millionaire Lionel Twain lives at 22 Lola Lane.

I also happen to be a railroad buff.

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:28 pm

What does my User Name mean?

It means I have a decided lack of imagination! :oops: :D
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

b4real

Post by b4real » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:39 pm

b4real is my homage to Leonard Cohen.
It is a rare Cohen cover. In this case of a Frederick Knight song.
At the end of the song he acknowledges the author by saying "Thanks for the song Mr. Knight".
http://cohencentric.com/2016/02/24/25206/

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:. . . . . . . they talk and flatter Toad into buying a substantial number of shares in the "Arctic Pineapple Corporation". Suspecting nothing, Toad gives up his Rolls-Royce to the phony stockbrokers as a "temporary" token, and then the real trouble begins. The weasels continue to visit Toad with news of other ridiculous companies and projects, in which Toad invests his other valuables. . . . . . . .

Thanks. That story is incredible.
j

Every time I see "arcticpineapplecorp" I smile because I enjoy so much the financial tales of Mr. Toad.

As Arctic noted, this tale of the Arctic Pineapple Corporation and the lessons to be learned about weasels and individual stocks are from "Toad of Toad Hall" by Kenneth Grahame, who published the book in 1908 after he retired from his position as secretary of the Bank of England. He wrote it to teach investing to his young son as bed-time reading. It was adapted by A.A. Milne as "The Wind in the Willows." Some more fun reading:

Ah, the Arctic Pineapple Corporation, a corporation that grows pineapples in the arctic - what a marvelous idea for a business venture!

Mr. Toad, a rich, jovial toad who read the Financial News and was easily manipulated by current fads, told everyone including his friend Badger that becoming wealthy was easy!

It's simple, he said, all you do is buy shares in some little company and buy them cheap and then the company does fearfully well and then everyone wants its shares and you sell 'em for thousands more . . . we'll all be rich as rich!!!

But all Toad's plans came to naught. The Weasels, posed as stockbrokers, visited Toad with news of ridiculous companies and projects and flattered Toad into buying a substantial number of shares with all his money. Why Toad even gave up his Rolls Royce to the phony Weasel stockbrokers.

But alas, the Atlantic Tunnel Scheme collapsed and the Square Wheeled Bicycle had a rough ride, the Rubber Brick Company bounced, the Perpetual Motion Knitting Machine unraveled, and the assets of the Arctic Pineapple Corporation were frozen, then melted into bankruptcy and Toad was told to hand over the deeds of Toad Hall to pay the creditors.

:happy

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:10 pm

I used to make significant side income playing online poker until it was banned in the US. After the ban, some clever folks on the 2+2 poker forums posted memes about words or phrases that changed meaning after we could no longer play poker.

My favorite was 9-5 Suited ... before it described a poker hand and after it described a day at the office :)

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Sandtrap wrote:As a teenage golfer, I spent a lot of time in those bunkers. :shock: Decades ago I resolved to be the best bunker player I could be no matter the cost and time. The effort improved my entire game. Precision. Touch. Improvisation. Like life. One swing at a time. But, we can never predict when we're going to land in another sandtrap nor how many strokes it will take to get out.

I'm trying to remember a movie from a number of years ago wherein a character was proficient at getting the ball almost covered with sand out of a bunker and getting very close to the pin. He would make money betting whether could do it.
Bob

Post by 111 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 pm

My real name is a number, which is pretty uncommon, so I typically don't bother with a fake one on forums (since people will just assume it is fake anyway). But, it was already taken so I tried shifting it to a different base number system.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Once in a while, I answer as well ;-)

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:18 am

It means the forum rules won't let you change your user name... oh well.

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am

I live in New Orleans, LA

songman52

Post by songman52 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

I have sung my whole life. At one time, at least for a year anyway, the number was my age. More descriptive than creative.

And I'm enjoying this thread! :beer

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:43 am

I like to garden, gives exercise, fresh air and nice vistas.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:30 am

TinkerPDX wrote:It means the forum rules won't let you change your user name... oh well.

This can be done. Contact a moderator.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 am

I'm an Anglophile, and the name just popped into my head one day, sounding like some character in a Masterpiece Theatre costume drama or, as the case may be, a British comedy show making fun of class distinctions. I'm actually clean-shaven, but I hope, when I offer information or an opinion here, that the reader is, at the very least, getting more than my beard's worth. :)
Last edited by beardsworth on Wed May 03, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 am

I have absolutely zero correlation to my username. It is obviously not my real name.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:44 am

Now that we're retired I guess I will have to change my username...

TTBG

Post by TTBG » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:28 am

TTBG = try to be good.
In real life, I can get a little snarky; this was my reminder to keep it out of my posts.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:56 am

It is derived from the Greek name Νικόλαος (Nikolaos), a compound of νίκη nikē 'victory' and λαός; laos 'people', that is, victor of the people.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:27 am

Started with my real name but read some security posts and decided to change (BTW, all my old posts got my new name). Sometimes wish I'd stuck with it like Mel and Taylor but at the time I'd just reached the 2comma club/milestone, thought it was taken but it wasn't so the rest is history. Now that we are each approaching 2comma I may have to come up with a new fake name, maybe 2mil? I never thought we'd be here but consistently saving and following BH guidance over the long term works! We literally became the millionaires next door.
If I am stupid I will pay.

red5

Post by red5 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 am

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was this guy who did a lot of cool things.

Tylenol Jones

Post by Tylenol Jones » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:32 am

Idiocracy - monday night rehabilitation officer Tylenol Jones. Here's the scene: https://youtu.be/cLts-sXlLEM