Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bogleheads:

Taylor and I received this Private Message (PM) from Lee Marshall (user name Mephistophles):

"Have leukemia and just a short time to live. When gone please let forum know and explain why I have not been answering recent private messages. Learned a great deal from you guys in the greatest internet financial forum."

We asked Lee for permission to post his message on the Bogleheads Forum where he is loved and respected by every Boglehead who has ever read his valuable postings with his deprecating signature “Old Meph”.

“Old Meph” is actually a very knowledgeable, ethical, long-time life-insurance and annuity authority (CLU) who has contributed over 3000 posts to the Bogleheads Forum, beginning in 2007. “Old Meph” also wrote Chapters 14 and 15 in our second book, The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.

Bogleheads are forever grateful to Lee for providing his untainted advice and for helping forum members with their questions regarding insurance products, sold by an industry where conflict-free advice is hard to find.

Thank you and may God comfort you, “Old Meph".

Taylor and Mel
livesoft

Re: Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

Post by livesoft »

Bummer. I'll just give my thanks to ole meph and say I'll see you around the bend some day.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

My deepest sympathies go out to all friends and family of "Old Meph"....... wishing everyone the best!
mrc

Post by mrc »

RIP Meph. We'll miss you.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

So sorry, will.miss you.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Meph, very sorry to hear of your condition. May God bless and comfort you. Thanks for your valuable contributions to this forum.

Carolinaman
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Great teacher. Wise and generous. I've learned a lot from Old Meph, as many of us have. His contributions will always live on.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Old Meph has helped more people than he can ever know. We'll miss his kindness and wisdom.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Old Meph is one of the go-to members of this forum for insurance and has helped many including me. Thank you for that Old Meph. I wish nothing but the best for you and yours. You will be missed but hopefully not for awhile. My thoughts are with you.

Matjen
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Indeed, I got some invaluable feedback about a major annuity deal our family was wrestling with. See you on the other side, good man.
Levett

Post by Levett »

God bless Old Meph.

Lev
Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg »

May the Good Lord provide peace to you and family during this trial .
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Bogleheads are forever grateful to Lee for providing his untainted advice and for helping forum members with their questions regarding insurance products, sold by an industry where conflict-free advice is hard to find.
This is so true. Thanks Old Meph :happy
Ged

Post by Ged »

Ole Meph is one of the great resources that make this site a unique font. He will be missed.
nomas

Post by nomas »

Old Meph, thank you for your contributions to the Bogleheads. I always enjoyed your posts and learned quite a bit from them. May God bless and comfort you.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Old Meph disclosed his identity to me in a PM several years ago and I await anxiously for him to post every time an insurance question arises. A real straight shooter with a keen knowledge of the insurance business. All best wishes, Lee, and many thanks for all you have contributed to the knowledge of all of us.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lee, I will miss you greatly. I enjoyed the many PMs we've exchanged, learned quite a bit from you, not to mention a few wiki articles: Life insurance :happy

God bless.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Thanks Lee for all you did for this forum. God Bless.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Now the riddle is solved. I began admiring this character "old Meph" the first time I read a thread where he was, almost to the point of, being abused, and yet he stayed calm, focused, and continued providing his unbiased viewpoint and measured guidance regarding insurance. From time to time in other threads, much as some posters tried, they never got his goat and he stayed on point. Actions speak louder than words, and I told myself, "I don't know who this guy is, but I think I need to listen when he talks." Thank you Lee, I'm an unknown stranger but you've made an impact on me.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

There is no one who can analyze an insurance policy better than Ole meph, then give his opinions and suggestions in the most professional and courteous way. He never stops educating us on the value and pitfalls of life insurance, can see the jewels and the rocks in the industry.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Bogleheads.org forum began on February 19, 2007, and within 5 weeks, on March 28, 2007, ole meph posted his first post.
It is titled "Yes, things to think about."
ole meph: "Yes, things to think about"

I think "Willie" said: We live and we die, we laugh and we cry, and yet, we never know why.

Ole meph said: We all regress to the mean, so enjoy the high moments and bear the low moments in this journey through life, and, make a pile of money while you are doing it.

ole meph
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1233#p13351

ole meph - we really appreciate you :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I will give my thanks as well, really enjoyed reading all of Old Meph's posts. You made a real difference to many. Thank you. God Bless.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

While I never got to know Lee personally, I have always greatly enjoyed his posts. I always found them thoughtful, informative, and invariably worth reading, even when I didn't completely agree with him.

Thank you, "Old Meph," for sharing your wisdom and insights, and may your posts continue to inform and educate many Bogleheads in the future.

Brad
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

God bless Old Meph
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Sorry to hear this sad news. You'll be missed, buddy, :(
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I will miss you.

I will strive to live up to the example you have set.

Sotirios
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

To Lee - if you're still around, thank you so much for sharing your time and wisdom here. There are so few real experts in their field that take the time to patiently share their knowledge and advice online, and you stood out to me as one of the best here.

To everyone who doesn't know Old Meph by his reputation, keep reading his old posts and you'll learn a great deal about insurance (in the same way you might read Alan S on IRAs or sscritic on social security).
Last edited by Tanelorn on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

Thank you ole meph for all the knowledge you've shared, and that I benefitted from. I dont think we ever communicated, but I learned from you and enjoyed reading your posts. I appreciate your straight forward, minimum complexity approach. Such a breath of fresh when learning about the complicated world of insurance.

Peace be with you.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
goingup

Post by goingup »

There are a few on the forum that know insurance. But when Ole Meph weighed in on something it the final and best word on the matter. I hope he weighs in here. I'd love to see that that Greek statue icon one more time. Is it Rodin's The Thinker?

Godspeed and thank you.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

May God comfort you and your family during this time.

Thank you for all your contributions; they are, and will continue to be greatly appreciated. Sharing your special expertise helped so many of us better understand complicated insurance products.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Sad to hear.He was the insurance expert and helped many in that regard.In my prayers
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Take care. You impacted so many folks here.
We pray for courage during this tough time. Regards, Amit
fund

Post by fund »

I am very saddened to hear this. Wishing the greatest comfort to you and your family. Thank you for your selfless contributions and assistance to others.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Tanelorn wrote: To everyone who doesn't know Old Meph by his reputation, keep reading his old posts and you'll learn a great deal about insurance (in the same way you might read Alan S on IRAs or sscritic on social security).
A forum like this makes Old Meph immortal, and forever preserves his contribution to society. Thanks again man.
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

Sorry to hear the news. I really appreciated you taking your time to answer my PMs and learned a lot from your posts.

I wish you and your family the best.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

A few weeks ago I posted some advice on a whole life thread and got a "+1" from Ol' Meph. A highlight of my BH experience!

Best Wishes, Lee.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
avecmoi

Post by avecmoi »

Dear Lee,

Thank you for all your contributions to us in this board. People like you, Taylor, Mel, William, Larry and many others have helped me and countless others so much in achieving financial understanding. You will never know how much and how many you have helped in this life. I have been spreading the boglehead philosophy of LBYM and simple investments in index funds to my family, loved ones and even acquaintances willing to listen. Most of the time I fail but a few have seen the light and become converts themselves.

Please let me give my humble perspective. Other physicians/nurses/medical personel on this board can chime in but from my experience, quality of life is much more important than quantity of life. If there is a decent chance of cure, go ahead and try. If it might prolong life without too much side effects, do it. However, I would not subject myself to misery for a small chance at a few more months of life. Good pain control, with hospice near loved ones would be my choice. I will pray for you tonight with my family to Jesus my Savior.

Avecmoi
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

Is there anything we can do as Bogleheads community?
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Thank you for your sharing your time and knowledge with this community, Ole Meph. I have learned much from you.

And thank you, too, for letting us know, rather than leaving us guessing.

I wish you peace.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

You made a difference for all of us here. Peace be with you, Old Meph.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

We'll miss you, Old Meph. The Bogleheads forum depends on people like you who know their subject and can give good advice.
Wiki David Grabiner
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

I loved reading Ole Meph's posts about insurance. The details to be gleaned were always enlightening.

He will be missed on this forum and in life.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Ole Meph, you have brought keen insight and amazing advice to our little community. I am saddened that you are not well and we may not see your virtual smile around these parts much longer. We will carry your torch and keep your kind words with us. May you not suffer. You are already missed.
ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth »

I just joined the community a few days ago and to see this breaks my heart. My thoughts are with him and his family and this community.
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Hi Ole Meph,

It's been said that we make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give. Many of us are grateful to you for the wise counsel you gave to many. It's people like you who make this forum special. See you on the other side. God bless.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Robert T

Post by Robert T »

So sorry to hear this - thank you for your contributions, your advice lives on.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Ole Meph, I can only add my voice to everything that everybody else has said. I've valued your forum contributions and some work with you behind the scenes. It's always tiny things you remember, and perhaps the moment I remember best was the time you pointed out that I was misspelling your screen name--which is Mephistophles, not "Mephistopheles." I've been punctilious about that ever since. I'm glad to have been given a chance to say goodbye.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

A fantastic contributor.

I wish I knew him personally. May God be with you.
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

A Boglehead legend in all respects.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
carolc

Post by carolc »

Sad. I would always read what he had to say. He will certainly be missed on this forum.

carolc