My Christmas Gift to You.

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The Hills of Bastogne"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:12 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:Taylor -

On this Christmas Eve, I think it is appropriate to quote here the poem of Captain Bernard McKearney of the 502nd P.I.R., "The Hills of Bastogne":

"The crops should be full in Belgium next year,
The soil should be fertile, but the price has been dear,
The wheat should be red on the hills of Bastogne,
For its roots have been drenched by the blood of our own."

"Battered and reeling we stand in their way,
Embittered, wrathful, we watch our pals fall,
God where's the end, the end of it all?"

"Confident and powerful they strike at our lines,
But we beat them back, fighting for time.
Berserk with fury they are hitting us now,
Flesh against steel, we'll hold--but how?

"For each day that we stay, more mothers will grieve,
For each hill we hold more men must we leave.
Yes, honor the men who will some day come home,
But pray for the men 'neath the hills of Bastogne.
"
FreeAtLast:

Thank you for your post. This poem is very meaningful to me. I was in the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR).

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

juliewongferra

Re: My Christmas Gift to You.

Post by juliewongferra » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:20 pm

Thank you Taylor for your sacrifice that day. You did a lot for us future generations, and you continue to serve us, in a different way, with your wisdom.

Your spirit is pure. G*d bless.

Cheers,
jwf

rick2427

Post by rick2427 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Dear Mr. Larimore:

Thank you for your service to our nation!
Thank you also for your selfless service to the bogleheads.
May you be blessed with a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy, Healthy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year!!

Regards,
Rick

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:50 pm

Taylor, I cannot even begin to imagine what that was like for you, as a young 20 year old. Thank you for your service. You are the type of person that has made our nation great. Thanks also for being a wonderful person and friend!

Merry Christmas!

Gail

Great Plains

Post by Great Plains » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 pm

Mr. Larimore-

Sir,
Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
gp

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for your service to our country, in defense of freedom.

Merry Christmas to you, yours, and all our fellow Bogleheads.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

birdwatcher10

Post by birdwatcher10 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Thank you Mr. Larimore for all you've done for us.....and Merry Christmas!

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:59 pm

Taylor,

You are a true precious resource, one of the greatest generations when love of country was foremost in the minds of young men and women.

I salute you and my deceased father who gave so much for our country.

Best wishes,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:01 am

Mr.Taylor,
Great story of bravery and courage,the likes that keeps our great nation free.My Family thanks you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 am

Taylor, I am a World War II buff. In my five trips to Europe and my one trip to Japan, I have been able to visit famous sites from that War. I tell you, it is exhausting fighting the Axis powers on Vacation but you did it for real. Thanks again.
A fool and his money are good for business.

NorCalHiker

Post by NorCalHiker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:12 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family Taylor. I'm so in awe of all the sacrifices you've made in the past for our nation and appreciate your continued service to this community. Democracies exist because of people like you who fight to gain and maintain our freedoms.

Thank you, from a grateful immigrant.

SGM

Post by SGM » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:39 am

Merry Christmas Taylor and thank you for your service in keeping America free. May the sacrifices of Americans in WWII never be forgotten.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:08 am

We were in France last year and visited Bastogne, Normandy, and other sites. Beautiful museum to the Battle in Bastogne, and the town has never forgotten US sacrifices. From the Normandy Beaches to Bastogne, there is a marker every kilometer that testifies to the Allied progress to free France. It brought me to tears at the time, and it puts a lump in my throat today to remember it. Hand salute, Taylor!

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:10 am

Thank you for your service.

My father in law, Mr. J.L. Beam was in the 501 PIR and was there at Bastogne also.

Mr. Beam passed away in 2008 and we miss him very much.

Wisdomseeker

Post by Wisdomseeker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:41 am

Thank you Taylor for your service to our country and for the sound and consistent investing advice you have shared for so many years.

Merry Christmas

Post by 2015 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:53 pm

They don't make many of them anymore like they did in your generation, Taylor. I am keenly aware that I and the rest of my boomer generation were standing on the shoulders of giants. The quality of my life has been so strongly impacted by the sacrifices of so many that went before. To say a mere thank you for those sacrifices just isn't enough.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Taylor,
Merry Christmas and thank you for my life. I didn't have to speak German or Japanese, unless I volunteered to do so, because of young men and women like you.
At Christmas 1944, I was an 11 year old boy, enjoying our freedom because of you. My family would listen to the radio in the living room together every evening, or watched newsreels at the movie theater, about the war as it progressed. I can remember the Bastogne news reports, at least of what they could tell us because in those days all news was censored, but when the report came in that the blockade was broken and the weather had broken and your commander said "NUTS", we got that news and we cheered and gave thanks at church, at my school, in the theater, and in my home.
Thank you,, dear Taylor, thank you and all of those who were there. God Bless You all.
Jim
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our county Taylor, and for your vision and continued efforts in support of the Bogleheads. We all owe you a great deal.

Merry Christmas!!!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you,
Taylor. And many thanks to all that have served to defend our country.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

fcb

Post by fcb » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor... thank you for serving our country!

Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Taylor, to you and all the kids who had to grow up too fast, many of whom did not come home, thank you for our freedom. You guys were truly the Greatest Generation.

Zendelta

Post by Zendelta » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for your service and your sacrifices that allow us to enjoy the opportunities we have today. I never forget that we live in the land of the free because of the brave.

Merry Christmas, sir.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor and thanks for the vast multitude of wonderful and inspiring posts here. I always enjoy them.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Taylor,
Thank you so much for posting your Christmas message to the Bogleheads and for the link to General McAuliffe's "Nuts" message. The link has many of the great messages, speeches & documents from American history and is a wonderful resource for historical documents :happy

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for the Christmas message; it's always important to remember this one Christmas from years ago.
Wiki David Grabiner

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor, and thank you for everything-- your service, the reminder of that Christmas, and all you've done since.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:27 am

I wonder how much time that German general and his stuff puzzled over that response...

NUTS? Nuts? Are we translating this right? Get Gudenkauf in here... What does NUTS mean? Is that a yes or a no?

:D

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 am

HomerJ wrote:I wonder how much time that German general and his stuff puzzled over that response...

NUTS? Nuts? Are we translating this right? Get Gudenkauf in here... What does NUTS mean? Is that a yes or a no?

Colonel Harper of the 101st Airborne's 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, explaining to the German officer who had delivered the arrogant surrender demand:

" If you don't understand what 'Nuts' means, in plain English it means 'Go to Hell!'. And I will tell you something else---if you continue to attack we will kill every G----mn German that tries to break into this city."

Therefore, General von Luttwitz was immediately enlightened as to the significance of the strange American colloquialism.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:46 am

Thank you for your service Taylor. Some people don`t realize how lucky they are to be living in the U.S.

Van

Post by Van » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:20 am

The GREATEST GENERATION indeed!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:57 pm

HomerJ wrote:I wonder how much time that German general and his stuff puzzled over that response...

As I recall, when the message was taken back to the Americans for explanation, one of the soldiers loosely translated that as telling the Germans to go somewhere very, very hot. I think some barnyard language was in there too. Don't think there was much confusion after that!
A fool and his money are good for business.

EEEguy

Post by EEEguy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Thank you, Taylor! :happy

That was quite a Christmas gift we all received 72 years ago!

EEE
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Taylor, you're a gentleman, a financial scholar, a sailor, a man of immense wealth? Well, what defines how one judges immense wealth. Does one use FIAT currencies? I think not, but it helps. Seems your efforts hit the American peoples all encompassing milestone 1M mark in the eighties,( w/RE & investing iirc) and it seems to have paid of for you just fine. Best wishes.... :wink: (imitation is the highest form of flattery)

PS: Thanks for your armed services service sir.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:56 pm

So good to *see* you, Taylor, my friend. Thank you and Merry Christmas. May the New Year bring you joy.

LynnC

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:16 pm

snowshoes wrote:Taylor, you're a gentleman, a financial scholar, a sailor, a man of immense wealth? Well, what defines how one judges immense wealth. Does one use FIAT currencies? I think not, but it helps. Seems your efforts hit the American peoples all encompassing milestone 1M mark in the eighties,( w/RE & investing iirc) and it seems to have paid of for you just fine. Best wishes.... :wink: (imitation is the highest form of flattery)

PS: Thanks for your armed services service sir.
showshoes:

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that I am a man of "immense wealth." I have never revealed my income, net-worth, Voyager, Flagship or any other financial status on the forum. I think you mean wealth in helping-others, respect, good-luck, good health, 62 years of happy marriage with three wonderful children, a new and loving partner. I would not change this for all the money in the world.

I am grateful that you recognize the sacrifice of many veterans--and especially those who never came home.

Happy Holidays!
Taylor

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
snowshoes wrote:Taylor, you're a gentleman, a financial scholar, a sailor, a man of immense wealth? Well, what defines how one judges immense wealth. Does one use FIAT currencies? I think not, but it helps. Seems your efforts hit the American peoples all encompassing milestone 1M mark in the eighties,( w/RE & investing iirc) and it seems to have paid of for you just fine. Best wishes.... :wink: (imitation is the highest form of flattery)
showshoes:

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that I am a man of "immense wealth." I have never revealed my income, net-worth, Voyager, Flagship or any other financial status on the forum. I think you mean wealth in helping-others, respect, good-luck, good health, 62 years of happy marriage with three wonderful children, a new and loving partner. I would not change this for all the money in the world.

Happy Holidays!
Taylor
Yes, my error Taylor!~ I highlighted what I also believe we'd both agree is far more valuable than 1M in FIAT currency, or 1Billion in FIAT currency, although it helps. I've some issues w/my typing, cognition, and its printed application sometimes more than others. Going to PM you On another note - I recently watched Andrew Carnagies biography on Amazon w/his rise w/US Steel during Roosevelt's administration, you might like it.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Taylor: My deepest appreciation to you and others that have served and continue to server to protect our great nation. Just saying "Thank You" somehow just doesn't seem to be enough.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you Taylor. I've had a very tough Christmas this year, but your message reminded me that people have been through worse, at very young ages, and they (and you) did it for me and my fellow citizens

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:29 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

72 years ago, today, in World War II......

It is my Christmas gift to you.

Happy Holidays!
Taylor
Thank you for serving.

Robert44

Post by Robert44 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:09 pm

God bless you Taylor, and all the military, also all the policemen, firemen, EMT's, nurses, doctors. Just so many to mention. We are a great country and want you all know how much we appreciate your service.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Mr. Larimore,

Thanks to you, and to all of those in the military, who have, and continue to, provide us an enduring blanket of freedom and liberties in our amazing country.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

THANK YOU, BOGLEHEADS!

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Dear Bogleheads:

I am honored by each of you for your Replies expressing gratitude for my World War II combat service and the sacrifice of all veterans--especially those who never returned home.

Wars are not all fought overseas. We have a war right here at home with the financial industry that spends billions of marketing dollars in their attempts to take a large share of our investment returns for themselves.

You can be proud to be soldiers in Jack Bogle's crusade "To give ordinary investors a 'fair-shake."

Thank you for your kind messages. They will be my lasting memories forever.

Happy Holidays!
Taylor

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Thank you again, Mr. Larimore. Our appreciation runs deep.
peace

rr2

Post by rr2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:24 am

We are honored by your service, Mr. Larimore. You SIr, belong to the finest. Thank you for the bottom of my heart.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Merry Christmas to you Taylor. And have a blessed, healthy and wonderful 2017!

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Duplicate
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Taylor,

I am a French woman born way after the war - my parents are baby boomers. When I was a kid, we would go camping to the same place every year and there was this older man who used to be a Resistant, and he was an Auschwitz survivor (he was deported as a war prisoner). He didn't talk much about it, but let out a few comments here and there when us kids would ask, and he could educate us. I was only a little girl, but I can still see the look on his face every time he did, and I can still see his tattoo, to which he had added "N'oublie Jamais" (Never Forget).

I've never had the opportunity to talk to any of the veterans from the Ally army. So I'm taking it today, to thank you. Thank you for my family, my country, my continent, my world. Thank you for going through hell so I could even exist at all, and be born free.

I am terrified when I see how my generation is starting to throw all this away because we haven't known any of it, thanks to you and your brothers and sisters.

I wish you a wonderful 2017.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Taylor,

I am just reading your thread now. Many thanks to you and all our armed forces for providing the service and freedom we all have today.

Best wishes!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Dear Taylor,

Thank for fighting for us then, in your youth, and still fighting for us now. You are a true hero in a time when there are so few.

Have a safe and healthy New Year Taylor.

Mary and Winnie