How Did You Become A Boglehead? What Led You Here?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
heybro

How Did You Become A Boglehead? What Led You Here?

Post by heybro » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:37 am

How did you become a Boglehead? What led you here? What had you thought before in terms of theory? What made you change or did you sort of hold these principles in similar form beforehand?

Have the sort of principles here affected other parts of your life in terms of how to approach things?

I love being here. I am glad to be here. Thank you; thank you!!!!!

in_reality

Re: How Did You Become A Boglehead? What Led You Here?

Post by in_reality » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52 am

Advisor was taking fees from out of my IRA instead of asking me to pay them (thus reducing my tax sheltered amount). I started thinking "this advisor is not really looking out for me", and I started noticing returns weren't any better than the 529 plan I'd set up with Vanguard funds.

Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:06 am

I have been investing at Vanguard for many years. So I guess I became a Boglehead by investing regularly at Vanguard and staying the course.
Now about what led me here, earlier this year I was doing a search for comparisons between a couple of the funds and the search turned up this site.
I have become hooked on reading and researching on here. I have been amazed at the knowledge that certain people that post here have. There are about 5 or 6 of the folks that I always look for their response because their brilliance amazes me. I am hoping to retire soon and I am finding information here that stimulates thoughts and ideas that I would have never have realized on my own.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:59 am

The 2008 financial meltdown, when I realized my "wealth managers" at Merrill couldn't even manage their own business. It was a huge wake up call to me when they became insolvent, despite their vaunted research department full of geniuses with PhDs.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:07 am

I was reading a lot of 'finance noise' and was a bit of a doomer re the global economy from about 2005 through the Crisis, but by 2011 or so finally got into more 'optimistic/mainstream' financial bloggers like Barry Ritholtz, Bill McBride, MMM and Jeff Miller. I then went from a 'protective crouch' kind of portfolio to a more sensible AA for my age and risk tolerance.

As a forum nerd, I then got into lurking at Bogleheads and the MMM forum. The latter was full of kooky dunderheads (IMO) and I ran and didn't look back. I'm still here.

Bogleheads is a long-read for finance junkies. I don't totally agree with parts of the philosophy, but I understand the arguments.

Its a very valuable site for countering the noise.

AddingUp

Post by AddingUp » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:15 am

Several years ago, I was doing some online research about a financial topic (don't remember what exactly), and this forum popped up in the results. From the first glance, I was hooked because I found other like-minded folks. I've always lived below my means and been a savvy saver. I had heard of Vanguard but never the term "boglehead."

I bookmarked the page, and the rest is history.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:16 am

When I inherited some money from my mother several years ago, I invested it in T. Rowe Price mutual funds because my father had been with TRP, and I saw they had a reputation for low-ish expenses. This was enough money to give me a free Morningstar subscription as a perk, so I started reading the Morningstar forums. A reference or link there led me here.

I still have my taxable account at TRP, but it's now entirely in Vanguard ETFs via a brokerage account.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

GMan82

Post by GMan82 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:37 am

I'm a relatively new physician. One of my co-resident's brothers worked in the finance industry, "specializing" in doctors. He wasn't from a large firm or anything, but I liked what he was saying. Because of him, I started my first ever Roth IRA at the start of my 3rd of 5 years of training, and I was able to max it for 2 years. That fifth year got zero contributions because of CoL in Miami for that one year. A mistake, I realized. My FA had me in John Hancock Lifestyle Growth Fund - Class A shares (JALGX). Getting involved in finance was something always in the back of my mind, but like most other physicians, I was absolutely clueless because this isn't something they teach us in medical school. Halfway through my last year, I started browsing the White Coat Investor's website and then eventually bought his book. That book led me to the "Boglehead's Guide to Investing," and together both of those served as a beacon of enlightenment. I suddenly realized that investing didn't mean sitting in front of the computer all day long trying to time the market or figure out the next hot stock. I also decided to log in to my Roth IRA and realized what I was paying in fees. Come the start of my Attending job last september, I moved it to Vanguard, and in the remaining 4 months of 2015, maxed out the 2015 HSA and 403b contributions and slowly developed an EF. Now I'm tackling student loans, paying CC balances off completely, managing a taxable account, have own-occupation disability insurance. With the slowly rising interest rate, I'm going to shift more of cash that goes into my taxable account into paying off the $160k I still have in student loans (though at 2.8% variable) just to get that weight off.

It's been an enlightening path -- having this website as a resource, in addition to White Coat Investor, and I've even started reading the newer "Physician ON FIRE" blog, have all helped enormously. I'm just continuing my reading and saving in the Boglehead way.

Special shout out to Dr. Dahle and his "White Coat Investor" blog and book for being the catalyst in my financial enlightenment! Couldn't have done it otherwise. :sharebeer

WJW

Post by WJW » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:56 am

Divine intervention I suppose. After a divorce in my late thirties and my assets/net worth being split in half, I got serious about organizing my finances and trying to preserve and grow what I was left with. All of my retirement investments were in Fidelity Freedom Funds and after quite a bit of googling and reading different blogs, I somehow was led to Bogleheads. It is a breath of fresh air to be able to interact with and learn from all of the intelligent, honest and humorous folks here.

They should really teach this stuff in High School.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:57 am

A couple of years ago, DW's elderly mom passed away fairly suddenly. DW was co-executor of the will (along with her sister-in-law), so she was hip-deep in distribution of the estate. She approached me about middle of last year and asked her to take half the money she got from the estate and invest it. (She had her own Scottrade account, but wanted a diversity of investment approaches. At the time I had the 401k account, but no other investments, and was quite ignorant about anything regarding investing.) So I was basically being asked to invest her mom's money with no knowledge at all of what I was doing. No pressure there, right? :?

I started reading everything I could get my hands on. Unfortunately (in the grand scheme), the first reading I did was the material I had on hand, namely the knowledge base stuff at Fidelity (where my 401k is). That led me down the path of sector funds, the Business Cycle, and market timing. So there I sat, 100% in equity sector funds, when China devalued the yuan. Ouch!!

At about the same time, I happened across a mention of Paul Merriman, so I began to read some of his books. Reading what he wrote about index funds and passive investing brought me around. I don't remember exactly where, but somewhere in one of them he mentioned the Bogleheads site. I landed here, and saw the errors of my ways. Fortunately, the investments in sector funds ended up costing me not much (maybe $7k or so), which I consider cheap for the education I got.

Now I'm 100% index funds, invested tax-efficiently, with a more proper AA, and feel much, much better about the choices I've made with DW's mom's money.

Thanks, guys.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:23 am

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Boglehead).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:36 am

I had fallen for a "college financial planner" and his plan to increase financial aid. We were ready to sell $300k in Savings bonds to put into a whole life policy. Something didn't feel right in my gut and I started researching and found Bogleheads. Asked here and was whacked in the face with the clear advice to stop NOW. I called the "planner" and cancelled the appointment to sign on the dotted line.

During this, on a car forum, of all places, someone mentioned to look at costs of funds. I started researching what my funds in my 401k and IRA cost because I had never looked for this information. Reading Bogleheads got me looking at index funds and I took several months to convince myself that there were not real advantages to the actively managed funds I held. One by one, I did "sell to buy" out of active and into a 3 fund index portfolio. I continued on the low cost path by converting several old, small accounts over to Fidelity where I held my IRA and bought more index funds. We did the same for my wife. In reading Bogleheads, I saw where getting Roth accounts opened would be a good idea, so both my wife and I did that.

Today, I have a self-made excel spreadsheet and am probably overly focused on costs. I didn't look at costs before funds could be bought for 0.05% ER levels. Now, when I have new money to invest, I'm looking at pennies a year differences.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:39 am

Having to manage my parents' 401k and my own. The policy outlined by my parents' financial advisor was extremely complicated and I couldn't wrap my head around it. Also the FA said some things that I couldn't understand at the time, like that market timing doesn't matter. Which I agree with now, although in my opinion he was in the habit of twisting the truth for his own gain, and also wanted to make all these changes during the financial crisis. I know now that some of the things he said were true, but the overall strategy was flawed. Now and then he would throw out a nugget like "market timing doesn't matter, time in the market matters", to appease the finance Gods or whatever.

So the seed was planted. It was a year or so before the student was ready and the "master" appeared :)

Also, the Internet.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

simmias

Post by simmias » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am

The McDonald's Monopoly game.

The Internet led me to the Fatwallet Contests board during the days of the old McDonald's Monopoly game where you could send in a SASE for the price of a stamp and get at least $1 to spend at Best Buy. From there I somehow made it to the Fatwallet Finance forum, and from there I made it to Bogleheads after seeing it recommended so darn much.

Bogleheads was intimidating at first, since I was completely clueless about investing. But after reading several of the recommended books, I cleaned up and simplified my portfolio substantially.

This is easily the largest storehouse of financial knowledge on the web, and I feel blessed to have stumbled upon it.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:49 am

For me it was a natural progression of seeing a new problem develop as I was starting to earn some real money and realizing I have no clue what to do with it to make it grow. I did what I do in every situation when I don't know something and that is start researching. That led to reading a few book like Gibson's "Asset Allocation" and Dr. Bernstein's "Four Pillars..." I believe there was a reference in there for bogleheads forum. I came on and started to read and read many of the other suggested books.

I have always told other I am not a boglehead because I want to be (trust me I wished active management worked), but it made the most amount of common sense in how to invest one's hard earned money with the highest probability of not only not losing it, but having it grow.

Thanks again for the folks on this site on getting the word out!!

Good luck.

p.s. As a physician when I talk to other physicians they can't believe handling your money is literally the easiest thing I have learned to do and that is because the bogleheads philosopy is that reproduceable... Now if that doesn't sound like an informercial I don't know what will!! :D )
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:00 am

I was an economics student in the early 70s. Malkiel's "Random Walk," which had just been published and Fama's "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," published in 1970 were among the required reading.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rick2427

Post by rick2427 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:06 am

In the past year I have gotten serious about retiring in 2017 and started searching online for ways to financially prepare for retirement. I ended up on "early-retirement.org". One of the posters there mentioned Vanguard and Bogleheads. I had heard of Vanguard in the nineties but didn't think it was for me at that time because I wanted to invest in individual growth stocks. Having gone thru the dot.com boom/bust and then the great recession of 2008-2010, I knew that I must figure out a way to reduce the volatility that comes with investing in individual stocks.

So I visited Bogleheads.org and about the same time I also came across MMM website. MMM didn't appeal to me at all but I loved Bogleheads! In the past year I have learned to trust the advice of many of the frequent posters here --THANK YOU!

Since last year, I have also opened a brokerage account at Vanguard, funded it to where it now holds 1/3 of our nest egg. The rest is evenly split between FIDO and Schwab. I am finding that bogleheads way to invest works and is also a "low stress" way to manage your finances.

Thanks to all of you for all your help!

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:10 am

I was part way there after the 2000 dot-com crash. A friend and I had been investing similarly and he did a thorough analysis that showed that staying the course with index funds we owned in our deferred compensation plans had performed better than buying and selling individual stocks in our taxable accounts.

I was introduced to Bogleheads by Kara McGuire, a former personal finance columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. In about 2007 she published an article about the local Bogleheads' chapter and the BH philosophy.

Jonathan Clement's columns were also an influence.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:12 am

I had just graduated university and moved to a town where I knew absolutely no one. I spent a lot of time reading books. Instead of buying them, I spent a lot of time in the public library looking for new things to read.

I don't even know what made me look at the finance section. Maybe it was across the aisle from Mystery or something?

Malkiel's Random Walk was on the shelf and I read it that weekend. The seeds were planted.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 am

I was looking up some topic on google and a link to this site came up....I was an instant believer, read Bogleheads Guide to Investing, and with some advice from a few forum members converted. :beer

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:24 am

This topic ran some time ago; same response:
We have no recollection how we got here and are thinking, alien abduction
Best thing the aliens ever did for us and we can not thank them (and the Boglehead folks) enough
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

tolerable2323

Post by tolerable2323 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:26 am

Back 2007 I got a job after college that offered a 401k plan. I had no idea what 401k was but one of my close friends told me to deposit money in a index fund. Before that day I use to think that the stock market was for the elite and not for the middle class people like myself. Then I open up a Roth ira and then one day saw a ad about vanguard and its low fees. While comparing fees from my ex brokerage acct vs vanguard this forum came up and the rest is history.

SGM

Post by SGM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:29 am

I had long been paying myself first and keeping investment costs low. I was 100 % invested in large and mid cap individual stocks as soon as I had my first good paying job. I would say I had a value tilt. In the accumulation period I was never upset by market swings. I avoided investing fads. I watched mutual funds disappear and also create taxable capital gains even as the value of the funds decreased. So early on I had no mutual funds outside of a company 401k.

As I wanted to become more diversified and decrease the amount of time I spent on investing I read the BH guide books and a Bernstein book and found the web site in 2010. I have steadily increased my percentages in low cost index funds. I also wanted to have exposure to the total market and smaller cap stocks without doing a lot of research. As I came closer to retirement Vanguard muni bond funds appealed to me as another way to diversify risk.

I started my first child's UTMA account in 1988 and that went into the Vanguard S&P 500 fund as I just wanted to set it and forget it in a low cost broad fund. I am not sure if the total market fund was available at the time. I had read one of Jack Bogle's early books on common sense investing.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 am

In 2007 DW & I were starting to think seriously about retirement and social security benefit timing options. I was a member of AAII (American Assoc. of Individual Investors) and noticed a link to Bogleheads.org in the AAII monthly magazine investment links section. I was hooked in short order. I think the first extremely valuable project was sscritic getting us all straightened out about how SS worked and what to do. Thanks again sscritic if you are reading! :beer

I think we were were pretty darn lucky to see that link. We stayed in AAII for several years more but I never saw a Bogleheads link in the AAII Journal links listings again. Maybe they wanted to be paid to put it in a second time?
JW
Retired at Last

alec

Post by alec » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:42 am

After I got my first full-time job, I went to the bookstore next to my office building, and picked up two of Eric Tysons dummies books. At the end of those, he recommended reading one of Jack Bogle's books. I read one from the 1990s, and that was it. Bogle's was logic was fantastic. I've been a boglehead ever since.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

goingup

Post by goingup » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:59 am

A Money Magazine article in 2006 (I think) mentioned "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing". From that I found the Diehards Forum on Morningstar. Lurked there and here for a long time before registering.

I was sold on Vanguard before I knew much about Jack or Bogleheads. Embraced the philosophy immediately.

rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:39 am

My railroad employer offered Vanguard as their 401k choice.And after reading " The Four Pillars of Investing" plus the fact that we are investor owned, the path was simple(simplicity).Three funds and hands off gives more time for fun. 8-) rockon'

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:13 am

I followed the Bogleheads' philosophy of investing LONG before I discovered this forum. Someday I will bore everybody to tears by writing down the entire tale in exquisite detail.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Started with a PBS Frontline episode "The Retirement Gamble" and Bogle's interview. And why I stayed was the graph on the Wiki page in the "Keep costs low" section. That is a real eye-opener.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Perhaps a little different than most. While hanging out with some fellow sys admins via an online chat many years back (when I was more often in the server room than in meeting rooms), the topic of retirement plans came up. One of the sys admins worked for Vanguard and suggested this forum.

But even before that, my Depression-era great grandparents had impressed upon me the principles of frugality and saving for the future. It was a lesson lost on most of my relatives (my parents have declared bankruptcy twice), but one I took to heart.

Skiffy

Post by Skiffy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 pm

My path to enlightenment- Suze Orman to opening a Roth IRA to Morningstar which led to Bogleheads.

Trying to encourage my kids to start about 20 years younger than I was.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Since I am 60 I have been thinking of retirement. Started looking for fonancial information and had a friend suggest this site. The wiki and forums have an abundance of valuable info.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:36 pm

What led me here was a mention of Bogleheads.org in Walter Updegrave article when he was still writing financial news. I had just retired and was looking to learn about investing so I dropped in here at the forum. It made sense to me so I morphed into a Boglehead.

It took some months, but I moved from Ameriprise to Vanguard (and some to my TSP account) and have never looked back. Laura, the portfolio goddess, got me started on the right track.

When I got here, I knew two things. "Diversify" and "don't sell in a market crash". That was my entire knowledge. Luckily, it was enough to get me to retirement.

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:51 pm

When I began thinking seriously about retirement, I checked out every book on retirement I could find at my city library, including the Bogleheads' Guide. That led me to the website. I was a Boglehead long before that, just didn't know it.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Short version.
I spent years of stock picking and barely beating the market. Researching ways to combat my behavioral errors I found Vanguard and then Bogleheads. Many thanks to Christine Benz at Morningstar for her praise of Vanguard and statements that the surest indicator of a funds long term success for clients is its fee structure.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

njboater74

Post by njboater74 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Fortunately, the forum at bogleheads.org is very well indexed by Google.

I discovered bogleheads after making excess contributions to a Roth IRA, and needed to research how to invest tax efficiently. I would google tickers, phrases like 'muni bond risks', 'tax cost ratio' and the results would invariable lead me here.

I must admit, the name of the forum sounded a bit hokey, but I quickly realized this was the best source of credible information. Quite happy to have discovered it.

The excess Roth contribution was quite serendipitous.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

If I recall correctly, Bogleheads Unite on the Morningstar forum, pointed me here and I never left. :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:24 pm

njboater74 wrote: I must admit, the name of the forum sounded a bit hokey, but I quickly realized this was the best source of credible information.
I agree and rejected the site two or three or four times but the google searches kept bringing me back.

bligh

Post by bligh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 pm

bI realized my selection of ETFs and Stocks had performed really poorly over the last few years in my tax advantaged accounts. Heard about, and started using Betterment for my taxable investments. I was planning to copy the Betterment portfolio in my tax advantaged accounts and then thought I might as well run a few google searches on recommended ETF portfolios to see what else was out there.

Glad I did. :)

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 pm

My first Vanguard fund (TSM) was purchased based on a recommendation by Bob Brinker on his weekly radio show in about 1995. Although Brinker has a newsletter called
Market timer
his radio advice often runs more toward a Boglehead philosophy. A few years later I was looking at financial websites and discovered M* and its discussion forums especially one directed toward Vanguard funds. As I recall the forum was called Vanguard Diehards but that was probably the first exposure to the Boglehead philosophy by name. Then the bogleheads.org was founded and I migrated here although I occasionally go back to M* to see what is going one.
Bob

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:45 am

During the 2005 college football season, the Maryland football team went 5 - 6. A bummer following them. I had a free issue to Money Magazine, and I found an article there on the Bogleheads. I had funds with too many companies from American Century, Safeco, Investco, T Rowe Price and Vanguard. I decided to move all the funds to two companies. So then I dived into learning investing the right way. I read all of the books by Larry Swedoe and Rick Ferri and Jack Bogle.

Growing up, I learned the value of money when I was 16 by working a fulltime summer job at church painting classrooms, fixing desks, cutting grass, and having my own lawn cutting business, I learned that working two jobs, I had a desire to do things smart financially. I still work two jobs. My second job is fun with reffing lacrosse and volleyball.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

OZAR

Post by OZAR » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 am

I started with a lovely experience at Ameriprise, where I found myself in a variable annuity and advise from the advisor not max out my IRA and add more to the annuity. I then randomly picked a book off Bob Brinkers website(he did a weekly radio show and sold a market timing newsletter)- the random book was Rick Ferris 'All About Asset Allocation'. It was as Rick would say my 'Ah hah' moment! The light came on, found my way to the Bogleheads!!! Thanks Rick!!!!!

-Semper Fi

jabbahop

Post by jabbahop » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:10 am

After a health scare, we started asking our financial planner whether we could retire early. After 20 years of focusing on careeer/family and just leaving everything to our advisor, I started asking lots of questions and stumbled upon Boggleheads.

This great forum quickly showed me the error of my past ways and that we could manage things ourselves. I have tried to take the lessons learned here and pass them on to my three boys. If I can't go back and fix my mistakes, perhaps I can help them avoid the same.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:39 am

I have always read a lot about finance and investing. I was buying and selling individual stocks in the dot com days. Made a lot of money and lost all of it. Then in 2000s, I became weary of financial advisors, planners etc. based on many stories and scandals I had heard. So read some books and eventually Jack Bogle's book. It was not the most fun read - but I was convinced of his arguments. So ended up reading Boglehead's Guide to Investing and that convinced me a lot about mutual fund based investing and especially broad based index funds.

I still kept thinking that there has to be some magic to investing and I should have a professional do this for me. I was still nervous about implications of variety of financial terms, jargons, decisions etc. on my investments. So I interviewed three financial planners in my area. I found them through a lot of research. One of them was a regular guest on CNBC (now I know that is a red flag :-) ), one was a smaller local financial firm and another one was independent advisor from Garrett Planning Network. I interviewed each one, and I realized that in most cases I knew as much or more about investing than they did. I couldn't figure out why would I give someone my hard earned money so they can charge me 1-2% fees for something I can do it myself without much trouble.

So I did a full plan using E$Planner and Financial Engines. And then the market crashed in 2008. I was in mostly cash at the time. I invested small portion of my money based on the plan from Financial Engines (which is exactly like Boglehead's principles). Became more comfortable over the years and got fully invested.

I have been following Jack Bogle since 2006 or so and have been a true Boglehead since 2007.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 am

A few years ago, maybe 3, I was spending a lot of time deeply re-thinking my asset allocation. I was specifically thinking about bonds vs. equities and international vs. domestic equity. This site kept coming up in my web searches and repeatedly gave me really rational info without copious amounts of the hype that seems to run through the financial media. So much noise in that media concentrates on making predictions and reacting to predictions in market segment movements - while this site was more concentrated on fundamental investing strategy. It was a match -so I was immediately interested.

I was already familiar with many of Jack Bogle's tenets and have/had held a number of Vanguard funds at Schwab. Then, early on in this process, I also began reading Rick Ferri and Dr. Bernstein's resources, particularly a couple of their books, as a result of some things I read on this site.

I lurked for a few years and then joined earlier this year. Bottom line - I am very grateful that this web resource and the philosophy behind exists, and for all the contributors here.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:14 am

This is a copy of the 2007 post I made about the same topic................viewtopic.php?t=5411&highlight=venita

In the late 1970's, I used to go over to my friends house and I noticed a Money magazine laying out in his brother's room. I thumbed through it....it looked interesting....so I subscribed to it around 1978.

In 1979, I took an adult ed class taught by an Edward Jones broker. As a text book, he used Venita VanCaspel's 1978 book The New Money Dynamics. Through her book, I learned about the value of compound interest and the importance of saving.

I decided to save 15% of gross income and each month invest in 3 good no-load stock mutual funds. I decided to pick 3 funds with the best 5 year records and invest in them...starting in 1979.

In the 80's, I got very frustrated because my 3 top performing funds gradually became average versus top performing funds. There seemed to be no way to know in advance how to pick the best performing funds.

This problem bugged me so much, that in 1990 I decided to write my term paper in finance for my MBA on how to find the best mutual fund. Using Consumer Reports magazine, I found that only 1 fund came within +/-20% of the S&P 500 in each of the last 5 years....and this fund was the Vanguard Index 500 fund. As a result of this paper, I switched all my common stock mutual fund money to Vanguard's Index 500 fund in late 1990. I have been an avid indexer ever since.

So, it was a combination of Money magazine, an adult ed class, Venita VanCaspel's book, watching mutual fund performance over several years, an MBA finance class, and Consumer Reports magazine that got me on the path of index fund investing.....which occurred over a span of about 12 years.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:35 am

I was researching how to find a financial advisor with google, found Bogleheads.org and discovered I did not need one. Thank you Bogleheads! :sharebeer

This is a good thread to remind remind everyone of the "Support this Site" button under the top right corner.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:24 pm

I was researching an ETF in 2012 and somehow I surfed my way in. Over several years, through reading Bogleheads, it slowly dawned on me that I could retire -- so I did. Thanks Bogleheads!
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Post by 123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:09 pm

I started investing with a brokerage account in the late 1970's. While I enjoyed evaluating stocks etc I absolutely hated having to talk to a broker to get anything purchased/sold. I hated their follow-up calls with "recommendations". Eventually I bought a couple of mutual funds directly that were advertised in Money magazine.

I started listening to the Bob Brinker investing radio program in about 1987.The things he said about Vanguard funds made sense so I made the Vanguard S&P 500 fund one of my core investments. I still had some actively managed funds and, of course, I usually changed them once a year or oftener as I tried to "chase yields". After a couple years of this I came to the conclusion that focusing on indexed funds was a far simpler solution since it guaranteed that I would at least get the market yield year after year without the hassle. By the mid 1990's my investments had become pretty mundane, thank goodness. I found Bogleheads.com when I followed-up on a reference to it in the Wall Street Journal 4 years ago. I feel comfortable and "at home" here.
Last edited by 123 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm

The road here was a windy one. Several different internet forums led me to Mr. Money Moustache's blog. While intrigued, I am really not into the uber-minimalist/extreme saving thing that the MMM blog preaches. That said, it made me feel like maybe early retirement is a possibility, whereas before I found that blog, I had not honestly considered early retirement before. I guess you could say I was plodding along, with expectations that I'd retire on/around 65. Someone on that forum recommended early-retirement.org, which was a little closer to my style. And then from there, this forum was recommended. I am not a really active poster, but I read this forum at least once a week and, thanks to you, I have definitely become a more thoughtful and knowledgeable investor as a result.