I think I found Rick Ferri

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
neomutiny06

I think I found Rick Ferri

Post by neomutiny06 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:04 am

http://www.50-50.us

Looks like they sold everything and are traveling.

pkcrafter

Re: I think I found Rick Ferri

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:15 am

Wow, thanks for finding Rick.

Best to Rick and family!

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Crushtheturtle

Post by Crushtheturtle » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 am

Sell everything?

The plot thickens...

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 am

Good for them, but it is also a good reminder that it is important not to become too dependent on any one particular financial advisor. "Life happens" to everyone and for unforeseen reasons (e.g., personal, family, health concerns, who knows), your financial advisor may abruptly no longer be around to advise you. Good to make sure there is a dependable backup system for your advisor (if you rely on one in an ongoing way.)

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am

Yep, you found Rick. He and Daria have been on the road for about a month now. Rick will be joining us at the 2016 Bogleheads Conference in Philly next month.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 am

i guess he hit his number.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 am

Happy trails to you :D .

(It's an old song.)
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Rick Ferri

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:39 am

Bogleheads:

Rick has been a guiding hand and an inspiration for me. He flew into Miami for my 90th Birthday.

Taffy and I wish Rick and Daria a lifetime of happiness together at home and "on the road."

We can't wait to see them at the Boglehead Conference next month.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Good for them! Rick truly seems to understand the idea of enough! :beer

david99

Post by david99 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm

That's great --- looking forward to hear more about his travels

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Congratulations Rick. I only hope it doesn't turn out like the movie "Lost in America" with Albert Brooks and Julie Hagerty.

A clip from Lost In America (below)--"The Nest Egg Principle". It's a very sacred thing...the nest egg. (sound cuts off at 55 sec. but you get the general idea). For those not familiar with the movie (spoiler alert:) Albert Brooks builds a "nest egg" while in the corporate world with the dream of retiring early, so he can get out of the rate race/corporate world, buy an RV and travel America with his wife (played by Julie Hagerty) for the rest of their retired lives. She never knew she had a gambling problem until they reach Vegas. There goes the nest egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGbL_DR_Ng

If Rick loses the nest egg he'll have to go from corporate to crossing guard (that's what happens in the movie after the wife loses the nest egg gambling):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTA9lTI6Bk

And just in case people don't have a sense of humor, I'm not implying Daria would gamble away the nest egg. Congratulations on your new grandchild. I'm very happy for Rick and Daria and I hope all goes well for both of you! Congratulations on achieving/realizing your dreams.

I too wonder why Rick didn't announce the selling of the business, retirement, etc. Not sure why the need for secrecy but perhaps it was a business decision determined by those who bought his business. Who knows?
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 pm

neomutiny06 wrote:http://www.50-50.us

Is 50-50 their (recommended) asset allocation? ;)

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Rick great news, maybe we will see you on http://www.early-retirement.org :beer

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Kudos!!!
Nothing but excellent!!!
Life is way TOO short to not live out your dream...
You gotta have some money to do it.
Once you have "made it",,why not live the dream...
Just Fantastic :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:37 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:Congratulations Rick. I only hope it doesn't turn out like the movie "Lost in America" with Albert Brooks and Julie Hagerty.

A clip from Lost In America (below)--"The Nest Egg Principle". It's a very sacred thing...the nest egg. (sound cuts off at 55 sec. but you get the general idea). For those not familiar with the movie (spoiler alert:) Albert Brooks builds a "nest egg" while in the corporate world with the dream of retiring early, so he can get out of the rate race/corporate world, buy an RV and travel America with his wife (played by Julie Hagerty) for the rest of their retired lives. She never knew she had a gambling problem until they reach Vegas. There goes the nest egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGbL_DR_Ng

If Rick loses the nest egg he'll have to go from corporate to crossing guard (that's what happens in the movie after the wife loses the nest egg gambling):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTA9lTI6Bk

And just in case people don't have a sense of humor, I'm not implying Daria would gamble away the nest egg. Congratulations on your new grandchild. I'm very happy for Rick and Daria and I hope all goes well for both of you! Congratulations on achieving/realizing your dreams.

I too wonder why Rick didn't announce the selling of the business, retirement, etc. Not sure why the need for secrecy but perhaps it was a business decision determined by those who bought his business. Who knows?

Rick lose a nestegg??
Fantasy
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Wow that is cool. I always enjoyed his posts on here and I am happy that he is doing what he loves. I'll be reading his blog from time to time to see how it goes.

All the best to you RF.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:42 pm

I wish him the best. Though, I can't help feeling it would be better if he and Daria were riding a tandem bicycle!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Seems like a popular choice these days, downsize to a tiny house (camper in this case) and take your home with you. Enjoy!
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

2retire

Post by 2retire » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm

TravelGeek wrote:

Is 50-50 their (recommended) asset allocation? ;)
This blog post gives a little background on the 50-50 name. Last I recall, Rick had his portfolio at 70 stocks / 30 bonds.

http://50-50.us/2016/08/01/

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Cool!! A whole lot of us would like to be doing this.

And by the way, I am curious if Taylor has remarried. We were all sad when he lost Pat.

Best wishes everyone,

Ned
A fool and his money are good for business.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:39 pm

Alright, now forum members can start stalking Rick Ferri. Sightings MUST be documented by photos posted in this thread.

Maybe an award can be given at each annual Bogleheads conference for most sightings separated by at least 50 miles each year?

I do hope to meet them again ... out on the road. It looks like I just missed them, but now I know what their accommodations look like and will keep my eyes peeled.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Crushtheturtle wrote:Sell everything?

The plot thickens...
What happened to Portfolio Solutions
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

afan

Post by afan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I never met him, but from his participation here he seemed like a great guy. Glad he is happy.
I hope he comes back to the forum. His posts were always very interesting and helpful.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Looks like he skimped on the RV. He should have got a Long, Long Trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoEWBcFpuE

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:42 pm

denovo wrote:

The plot thickens...
What happened to Portfolio Solutions
It's part of "everything" I assume.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Ah Yes,,,,Follow Your Dream..
Don't Wanna look back in your "late" years in life,,
wishing you had made that "leap" that you dreamed about.
:mrgreen:

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The Second Time Around

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:07 pm

And by the way, I am curious if Taylor has remarried. We were all sad when he lost Pat.
Ned:

Losing Pat, my beautiful, intelligent wife for 62 years, and mother of our three sons, was a terrible loss to everyone who knew her. A major reason I did not fall into deep depression was my participation on this forum.

A few years after Pat died, I had lunch with a small group of friends and I reconnected with another special lady, Taffy Gould, a young 73 year old. I invited Taffy for lunch and gave her the choice of dining at our fancy Biltmore Hotel or a nearby inexpensive hamburger eatery? She choose the eatery (a good sign). We fell in love.

I am a cancer survivor having battled four types of cancer. My first cancer in 2005 took away my natural voice (I now use an electronic voice). Taffy founded a medical school and is helping me with any medical problems. Taffy is also my talented crew during sailing regattas.

Taffy has met Mr. Bogle and is now an enthusiastic Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio investor. Bogleheads will meet Taffy at our Boglehead Conference next month.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:12 pm

What a beautiful story, Taylor. Thank you so much for sharing.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Taylor,

That is a wonderful story. I am very happy you found someone special. Glad to you have a shared
interest in sailing.

Surviving cancer is also a big accomplishment as is reaching the age of 92. Someone here posted a link of a video of you provided by a local news station. You looked hale and hearty. Saw it a couple of years ago, I think. It was at an event honoring our veterans. Glad you are well enough to attend
Bogleheads.

I will watch for you in the archived videos of Bogleheads 2016.

Best wishes,

Ned

Edit: I guess we found Taylor too!
A fool and his money are good for business.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Thank you, Taylor, and nice to have news about Rick Ferri.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mickens16

Re: The Second Time Around

Post by mickens16 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Ned:

Losing Pat, my beautiful, intelligent wife for 62 years, and mother of our three sons, was a terrible loss to everyone who knew her. A major reason I did not fall into deep depression was my participation on this forum.

A few years after Pat died, I had lunch with a small group of friends and I reconnected with another special lady, Taffy Gould, a young 73 year old. I invited Taffy for lunch and gave her the choice of dining at our fancy Biltmore Hotel or a nearby inexpensive hamburger eatery? She choose the eatery (a good sign). We fell in love.

I am a cancer survivor having battled four types of cancer. My first cancer in 2005 took away my natural voice (I now use an electronic voice). Taffy founded a medical school and is helping me with any medical problems. Taffy is also my talented crew during sailing regattas.

Taffy has met Mr. Bogle and is now an enthusiastic Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio investor. Bogleheads will meet Taffy at our Boglehead Conference next month.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Wow Taylor, you have lived an honorable, rich life. I wish more of today's youth could follow in your footsteps.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Boglehead).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Ned:

Best wishes.
Taylor

Wow
Great Taylor.
Best,
Toons :D

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Ned:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor,

A wonderful story.

Best!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 pm

That is true freedom and so awesome!

Best regards Rick!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Very cool story. I wish them the best.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:10 am

Life is short. Take it by the horns and hold on to get all you can out of it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Have fun, Rick!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Raybo wrote:I wish him the best. Though, I can't help feeling it would be better if he and Daria were riding a tandem bicycle!
I have an acquaintance that is into cycling and he calls a tandem bicycle a “divorce on wheels.” :twisted: Now I always wonder about the arguments that are taking place when I see one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:57 pm

The plot thickens...
I hope he didn't sell his index funds.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 pm

where are the customer's rvs? :)

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:18 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:Life is short. Take it by the horns and hold on to get all you can out of it.

+5
You got that right.

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Well this is an interesting thread!

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Ned:

Best wishes.
Taylor
The little I have seen I am constantly impressed with how you have/ continue to live your life. Living life to the fullest should be everyone's goal. Thanks for the reminder.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 pm

Is Rick going to stay involved with the investing profession in the future in terms of writing books, articles, and his blog?

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Yes, I'm very interested to know more about what this means for Portfolio Solutions. They are a part of my death plan, so it matters. Anybody with them, and can indicate what changes without Ferri? His asset allocation book is in part what got me on track with all this boglehead business, so I am more than curious.

digarei

Post by digarei » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:22 am

The plot thickens...
and unthickens...
. . .. Rick Ferri, LLC owns 25% of Portfolio Solutions, LLC
Unless there has been a change since the SEC filing of May 2016,

it would appear that Mr. Ferri retains a stake as a (minority)

owner in the partnership.

PORTFOLIO SOLUTIONS® FORM ADV PARTS 2A & 2B

https://portfoliosolutions.com/sites/de ... &%202B.PDF

http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/IAPD/IAP ... _PK=107774

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

wastenot

Post by wastenot » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:25 am

Congratulations to Rick AND Taylor!

Like Rick, I am thinking of buying a (small) RV and hitting the road to see more of this beautiful continent.

Post by 2015 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:54 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Ned:

Best wishes.
Taylor
The little I have seen I am constantly impressed with how you have/ continue to live your life. Living life to the fullest should be everyone's goal. Thanks for the reminder.

Good luck.
+1
Taylor is a role model in many ways.

elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 pm

mhaley said "Looks like he skimped on the RV. He should have got a Long, Long Trailer."

I don't think so. The problem with a long trailer is navigating the 'switchbacks' when going thru the mountains, and the lack of suitable campsites that will hold a larger RV. Speaking from experience, we have had a 19.5 foot RV for about 5 years and we have never been rejected from a camping area because we were too large and we have never had a problem negotiating roads in campgrounds, the boonies, or elsewhere. We did a lot of research on this before we purchased, and assume that Rick did also. BTW, we camp, using our RV, one week per month, and have been doing so since we purchased it. When DW retires, we will hit the road like Rick has done.

elgob