Jacksonville Florida Chapter

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
WolfgangPauli

Jacksonville Florida Chapter

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:56 am

Greetings Everyone!

I have volunteered to get this going here in Jacksonville. There have been a lot of people who expressed interest and so I thought it would be great for us to get together.

My vision, to start, is to try to get a quorum (probably 3 or more) who want to meet first. We can link up at a diner or somewhere, have breakfast on a Saturday morning and start planning for the future of the chapter.

I have started a twitter feed @JAXbogleheads

and email is JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Let's get it going!

Kevin
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

WolfgangPauli

Re: Jacksonville Florida Chapter - Recommended first meeting

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 am

Team,

Unless we get a huge response out of the gate.. here is what i would recommend:

1) meeting on a saturday morning at a local breakfast spot (to be determined after we see where people are coming from).

2) Discussion:

[list=]Introductions
What people want to get out of the club
Agreement on what are good topics and what are "off limits".
Schedule of meetings (monthly, qtrly etc.)
Other topics[/list]

Let me know your thoughts!

Kevin
@JAXbogleheads
JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Jacksonville Florida Chapter

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:30 am

Kevin:

As a member of our South Florida Chapter, I wish you and your North Florida Jacksonville area friends great success.

Bogleheads who volunteer to learn and help others on this forum are very nice people

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

jpdion

Post by jpdion » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:32 am

I sent an email to express interest. But a few thoughts on discussion points:

Reason for joining: mutual support in staying the course- learning from others' experience
Off limits: Politics - especially during the election season!
Meetings: I'd go for monthly just to keep it going.
Topics: I'd mirror the topic areas on the forum to start.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Kevin:

As a member of our South Florida Chapter, I wish you and your North Florida Jacksonville area friends great success.

Bogleheads who volunteer to learn and help others on this forum are very nice people

Best wishes.
Taylor

Thank you Taylor! Looking forward to it.

Kevin

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:52 pm

jpdion wrote:I sent an email to express interest. But a few thoughts on discussion points:

Reason for joining: mutual support in staying the course- learning from others' experience
Off limits: Politics - especially during the election season!
Meetings: I'd go for monthly just to keep it going.
Topics: I'd mirror the topic areas on the forum to start.

Sounds great.. I agree 100% with politics being off limits... We will make that a key tenet to our discussions!

Kevin

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi folks,

Lots of people had messaged on the board about wanting a Jacksonville / Northeast FL chapter. I have volunteered to start this up and so far only one response. Perhaps we can try this again.. Please message me if you want to get this moving.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Kevin

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 pm

WolfgangPauli, There was a thread in 2012 about starting a Jax club with several showing interest which you contributed to. viewtopic.php?t=85439
I suggest that you private message those to begin with. And, keep bumping this conversation up daily for week or more so that others who don't visit here regularly may notice it
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

digarei

Post by digarei » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 am

Sheepdog wrote:WolfgangPauli, There was a thread in 2012 about starting a Jax club with several showing interest which you contributed to. viewtopic.php?t=85439
I suggest that you private message those to begin with. And, keep bumping this conversation up daily for week or more so that others who don't visit here regularly may notice it

^^^ I agree with the emphasis on keeping the thread visible... post often, for at least a few months. Keep in mind that many of your participants will be the 'lurkers' who rarely if ever post to the forum. Don't be discouraged if some of the most enthusiastic posters do not, in the end, come to meetings. Others will.

We're still exploring the best ways to advertise our existence to the Bogleheads in our area.

We have not needed to explicitly state that politics is 'off-limits' -- it probably helps that we have individuals of different political perspectives who attend and I try to be sensitive to accommodating all points of view. Once people get to know each other a bit, even the most partisan will listen to their counterparts, show respect.

That said, you'd have to ask our chapter members whether this egalitarianism has worked!
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.