Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 »

Sorry we're behind in welcoming our new class members with a personal note - there is a learning curve with this job and we are still a work in progress :wink:
MichaelM wrote:My first day of retirement was Jan 1, '17! Megacorp (ENGR) survivor. Age: 63.5. . . . My 100 year old American company was purchased by French and completely destroyed except for designs already in the drawer. These first five months have been very serene and I am slowly releasing my anger / disgust at what I experienced the last few years at job, oh what a job it got to be - worked like a dog! Thanks for reading my little .02 about modern day workplace... Hope everyone has a great day!
That's quite a difficult workplace experience, thanks for sharing, I'm sure many have been through similar nightmares :( and it's great you are now out with the ability to relax :D

However, we did notice that, even though you retired, you are still very much an engineer - no one else has given the Roll Call their retirement age precisely in decimals :wink: I guess you can take the engineer out of the workplace but . . . .

You will probably enjoy this thread - "Beef roast" where several Boglehead engineers tried to cook their Christmas roast beef - complete with graph paper, colored pencils & pens, spreadsheets, stop watches, a variety of meat thermometers and several cookbooks with detailed directions, all arrayed out on their kitchen counters, trying to cook the perfect beef roast as scientifically perfectly as possible according to precise plans :D

Here is how engineers cook roast beef (note - I am quoting, I did not make this up :D ):
All equipment tested with engineering precision for all systems go -

Will check the external display thermometer and internal-read thermometer in warm water sometime to see if I still see the 3-5 degree difference.

Checked today, and they were spot on (same temp reading on each) from about 90 deg F to about 125 deg F. Then checked in my tea, and at first the instant-read displayed about 5 degrees higher (say 145 vs. 140), but then I noticed that that displayed temp on the instant-read thermometer changed when I moved it slightly, and it was within 1 or 2 degrees when I put the tips of the thermometers right next to each other.

So I'm happy with my thermometers.
So, now your thermometers are cross-calibrated, do you have a sufficient supply of graph paper?
Of course I'm doing a spreadsheet to plan our cooking/baking, and I use the average of min and max times to plan.
Also, I've also read that temp rises less while resting if cooked at low temp, which makes sense. My notes for recipe I think I used last time indicate with 325 temp to remove at 128-130 for target temp of 135, and I'm pretty sure that's what I did, and it worked great. Most common recommendation seems to be to remove at 125 for target temp of 130, but especially with lower temp (say 200-250), I'm leaning toward removing at 128-130.
Next time, try cooking it at the lowest temp. your oven will do. Mine is 170F. With lower temperatures you will get less overshoot. Also, I am an engineer. I have a piece of graph paper on the counter top where I plot temp. vs. time as we're going along. That makes it easy to extrapolate the time when the roast will be done.
So for the first 40 minutes or so, temp increased by only about 0.2 degrees/minute, then 0.5 deg/minute over next hour, then 0.65 deg/minute for next 40 minutes, then 0.61 deg/minute for 20 minutes, then about 0.5 deg/minute for the last 20 minutes before removing from oven. Temp continued increasing at 0.5 deg/min for first few minutes, then 0.4 deg/min for about 15 minutes, then continued to slow from there.
Also an engineer by training, and did same, but entered times and temps into my spreadsheet as I went. Used a formula to extrapolate temp, but of course the curve is not linear, so predictions get better after the first hour or so. Here is the plot shown earlier with calculated temps added:

We can see that at the 42 minute mark, the prediction for the 102 minute mark was way low (19 degrees), due to the slow heat increase rate during first 40 minutes. The prediction at 102 minutes for 142 minutes was 7 degrees low, but after that all predictions were +/- 2 degrees from actual. By 142 minutes I could see that the oven would reach target temp of 125 before target time, since I had guessed 20-30 minutes per lb, and used the average of 25 minutes for planning (whereas actual turned out to be 23.25, and of course I should have taken it out even sooner, so about 20-21 minutes per lb--at low end of my guesstimated range).
:D :D :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

lostdog wrote:Does semi-retirement count? :happy
I am officially done with the rat race.
chw wrote:Employer has asked me to consult PT for a few months to help transition to new hire, which will probably do in late August- does this still count as retired?
The Retirement Roll Call uses Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" = there is no strict definition :D

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the roll call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D :D
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

Funny example Miriam on engineers cooking! Thanks! Yes I have punched out of workforce for the foreseeable future. I have been using my engineering skills on catching up on projects around the homestead - most recent have been making solar screens for A bank of 4 windows on west side of house. After 5 months of being stress free I think I can see the light - I think in another year or two my memories of the oil patch will fade - I plan to buy an electric car at the next cycle of high crude prices. I only spent the last 15 years of career doing oil patch and it definitely was not as interesting as my stints in medical, computer chip burn in or food processing equipment design. I moved around to keep my interest up. As someone on this forum says " Reality has way of catching up to you"! Onward with your list of Graduates of Class of 2017 Retirees! It is an interesting thread.
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

My wife and I are selling our business on June 15, 2017!
Retiring at age 57......really have no clue what we will do with all the free time.
It is really scary :wink:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Miriam2 wrote:Here is how engineers cook roast beef (note - I am quoting, I did not make this up :D ):
Sous vide?

I'm updating my self-reported retirement date to 1 Dec 2017.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dratkinson wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:Here is how engineers cook roast beef (note - I am quoting, I did not make this up :D ):
Sous vide?
Oh dear, please don't tell our intrepid Boglehead engineers, they would go bananas over this - it would dominate the forum for weeks as all our engineers tried to cook the perfect sous-vide roast beef :wink:
Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking in which food is vacuum-sealed in a plastic pouch and then placed in a water bath or steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking (typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat, higher for vegetables). The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and to retain moisture.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dratkinson wrote:I can't delay SS any longer so declare myself to be officially retired in Dec with the class of 2017. . . Have spent last few years working non-paying projects for myself and friends, but haven't considered myself to be officially retired until I start SS. Will continue working small projects afterwards. . . . I'm updating my self-reported retirement date to 1 Dec 2017.
Enjoy your self-reporting "official retirement" - how will you invest all that new money :moneybag :moneybag the nice SS folks are going to give you? You must enjoy doing the projects you do for yourself and friends. Keeps your mind and body alive with enjoyable activity. 8-) May I suggest roast beef sous-vide?
TravelforFun wrote:Was going to graduate this year at 65 but the boss and I agreed I should work part time. I love the three-day work week, four-day weekend every week. At this rate, I think I will keep going for many more years.
See above definition of retirement and let us know if your love of your three-day work week changes to thank-goodness-I'm-outta-here :wink:
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Miriam2 wrote:
lostdog wrote:Does semi-retirement count? :happy
I am officially done with the rat race.
chw wrote:Employer has asked me to consult PT for a few months to help transition to new hire, which will probably do in late August- does this still count as retired?
The Retirement Roll Call uses Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" = there is no strict definition :D

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the roll call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D :D
Very cool. So yes I am done with full time corporate shenanigans. I am a part time salesman and set my own schedule. Wife is still full time for insurance. She likes her job.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

lostdog wrote:Very cool. So yes I am done with full time corporate shenanigans. I am a part time salesman and set my own schedule.
Being "done with full time corporate shenanigans" clearly and without question counts as retirement - a well-deserved retirement :D Very happy to hear you are no longer, as you once said, a "prisoner in the rat race." Life is too short to put up with that, especially when other opportunities come our way.

Enjoy the "wonder, opportunity and satisfaction" of Walt Whitman's open road :D

You're on the list, please let us know your punch-out date (and retirement age :shock: if you are so inclined)
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

January 4, 2017. Age 66
Graduated med school June, 1975
As John Bogle said in his book...... Enough !
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bcboy57 wrote:January 4, 2017. Age 66
Graduated med school June, 1975
Wow, that's 42 years as a doctor, healing and helping people, yes I'd say you did good work and now time for a well-deserved second life :happy

I just love doctors. I recently had a colonoscopy and it was really fun 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

June 1 and we have an updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

So far we have 17 lucky graduates and many who are waiting for THE DAY 8-)

Already graduated - Congratulations!!
01 Jan - MichaelM (63.5 :wink: )
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
04 Jan - bcboy57 (66) <<-- Welcome to the class!
xx Jan - quantAndHold
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
31 Mar - galectin
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin
xx Apr - vg55 -->> is there a date, or was it a month-long retirement party 8-)
28 Apr - akblizzard
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
19 May - boglefannyc

Graduating soon :P
15 Jun - sil2017
15 Jun - rick2427 (57) <<-- Welcome to the class!
30 Jun - Just sayin
07 Jul - bikechuck
xx Jul - chw <<-- Welcome to the class!
31 Jul - peregrine
31 Jul - r60rider <<-- Welcome to the class!
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Oct - mcblum
01 Oct - STINGRAY75 (60)
01 Dec - dratkinson
15 Dec - WoodSpinner
xx Riverstwo (58)
xx Tycoon
xx songman52
xx Ashley1748
xx rennale (67)
xx lostdog

In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

Please let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
chw

Post by chw »

Hi Miriam, I missed giving you my actual date of freedom- July 14th, appropriately on Bastille Day as a French friend reminded me! :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

chw wrote:Count me in! Have given notice for mid July. . . . my actual date of freedom- July 14th, appropriately on Bastille Day as a French friend reminded me! :D
Congratulations chw, the list will be updated. Bastille Day - what an appropriate retirement date, complete with parades, fireworks, festivities and balls - all for you 8-)
chw wrote:Has been a great career at Megabank, but is time to move on after 37 years. Will miss my clients (most of them), but not the constant drumbeat to find more quality clients.

Thanks to the Wiki and the many Bogleheads who helped guide me on my recent financial journey to be able to consider this move, and act on it.

Looking forward to exploring the destinations known and unknown...
You have the best of both worlds - the satisfaction of working in a long career filled with good work and clients and now the satisfaction of having put together a good, well-deserved financial retirement.

We wish you the best exploring destinations known and unknown. Enjoy the "wonder, opportunity and satisfaction" of retirement. Walt Whitman's open road is ahead of you 8-) Since you retire on Bastille Day, we'll quote a little Whitman French:

"Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe - I have tried it - my own feet have tried it well - be not detain'd!
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen'd!
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd!
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the court,
and the judge expound the law."
SR II

Post by SR II »

August 1 is my official retirement date! Woohoo!
dowse

Post by dowse »

Good luck and congrats to all who have "graduated" or plan to this year. To the OP and others, you will soon learn to LOVE Mondays!

- Dowse, Class of '16.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SR II wrote:August 1 is my official retirement date! Woohoo!
Congratulations SR II :happy Will add you to this very important list. Any plans?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rick2427 wrote:My wife and I are selling our business on June 15, 2017!
Retiring at age 57......really have no clue what we will do with all the free time.
It is really scary :wink:
Congratulations! It must be exciting to sell a business (or maybe a relief :shock: ) Moving into retirement is scary, but a nice scary. You have the open road ahead of you and the wind at your back.

Since you owned a business, you may be familiar with t-a-x-e-s :wink:
Here is a suggestion from forum member tomd37 to keep us busy in retirement doing meaningful work:
tomd37 wrote:For those of you so inclined and looking for something to do in retirement, you might consider volunteering in the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program for the months of February through mid-April each year. The program provides free tax preparation services to all ages, but is targeted to seniors aged 60+. If you volunteer you will go through a week's training in early January each year and you will have to take and successfully pass an IRS test each year to qualify. There are some 36,000 volunteers nationwide participating in the 45 year-old program currently preparing about 2 million returns a year. If you have any interest just search AARP Foundation Tax-Aide. I've been in the program for about ten years now and thoroughly enjoy helping people of all ages get all the entitlements of our federal and state tax systems. :moneybag
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

vg55 wrote:I retired April 2017, and thanks to the Boglehead approach to investing and saving, hit my number plus 10%!
Now filling my time with things I want to do.
Many thanks to all those on the forum.
Congratulations! What are you filling your time with?
Your fellow Bogleheads would be delighted to hear how you managed to hit your number plus 10% :mrgreen:
boglefannyc wrote:My last official day on the books is May 19, 2017. I'm currently running off my vacation time so no more going to work :D :D
Congratulations! No more going to work sounds heavenly 8-)
WoodSpinner wrote:Count me in.
Dec 15, 2017
We just booked our 1st retirement vacation to Australia. 8-)
Very nice 1st retirement vacation plans! 8-) Enjoy and please let us know what you did down there.

Victoria has always said that, "In retirement, great trips are the highest priority."
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

After a year of unemployment I decided to hang up my dancing shoes. I never would have chose to retire at 62 but this is truly the best thing that could have happened and I'm loving it :happy
Mary
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

I am "semi-retired" at 55.. I decided I will do some consulting and help some friends but not going back to the rat race. A little scary as this is earlier than I thought. My situation:
  1. No Debt.
  2. $3.1M in investable assets
  3. $3.6M Net worth if you count my house (fully paid for)
My wife and i have decided to get into the physical shape of our lives as that is the only thing that could "go wrong" at this point. Good motivation.

My annual expenditures are between $50K and $60k.. live very modestly.

Please help me calm down.. I do get a little nervous about this.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
Treeman16

Post by Treeman16 »

Well, I retired on April 30th... age 66 1/2... I've begun working stress-free 2 days a week at the local golf course for minimum wage, tips and a free round of golf weekly. I was an outside sales rep in the medical device field and being outside is a benefit. Good-bye sales quotas and numbers that kept me awake at night! I also volunteer at a national park once a week as a guide which is fulfilling and rewarding in many ways. Medicare and supplemental insurance covers the healthcare benefits. My biggest concern is the mental transition from "spending from earnings" to "spending from savings" and I see that there has been a lot written on this topic. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
John
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

Mirriam 2 said
Congratulations! It must be exciting to sell a business (or maybe a relief ) Moving into retirement is scary, but a nice scary. You have the open road ahead of you and the wind at your back.

Since you owned a business, you may be familiar with t-a-x-e-s
Here is a suggestion from forum member tomd37 to keep us busy in retirement doing meaningful work:

tomd37 wrote:
For those of you so inclined and looking for something to do in retirement, you might consider volunteering in the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program for the months of February through mid-April each year. The program provides free tax preparation services to all ages, but is targeted to seniors aged 60+. If you volunteer you will go through a week's training in early January each year and you will have to take and successfully pass an IRS test each year to qualify. There are some 36,000 volunteers nationwide participating in the 45 year-old program currently preparing about 2 million returns a year. If you have any interest just search AARP Foundation Tax-Aide. I've been in the program for about ten years now and thoroughly enjoy helping people of all ages get all the entitlements of our federal and state tax systems.
Thanks Miriam, I will check it out.
Cheers :happy
Rick
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mlm wrote:After a year of unemployment I decided to hang up my dancing shoes. I never would have chose to retire at 62 but this is truly the best thing that could have happened and I'm loving it :happy
Welcome to the class - glad it worked out to be the best thing that could have happened :happy I'm sure a year of unemployment was no fun. What date would you like to put down for your done-dancing day?
songman52 wrote:I plan to "graduate" with this class, also. :sharebeer
Are your plans still on? We have room in the class :wink: Or did you serve your time already? Are you still going to be a VITA volunteer and contribute your free time to helping others prepare their tax returns? (I may need your help :wink:
Riverstwo wrote:Plan to retire this fall at the age of 58!!!!
Congratulations! Let us know your date, as well as location, time, menu and appropriate dress attire for your retirement party, we promise not to embarrass you :P
Ashley1748 wrote:Sep/Oct '17, 90% there..
What a great countdown! A true finance geek - many ordinary people count the days or months until retirement, but Ashley1748 counts the % of time elapsed since inception of employment :wink: On what date does 10% more land you?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MandyT wrote:I plan to retire effective September 1, 2017. I haven't put in my papers, but I've told my department chair and some of my colleagues. I have some duties that will need to be transferred to other people, so I thought about a year's notice would save me some amount of "Mandy, where do you find X? Mandy, how do you do Y?" after I retire. I don't think I'll actually have to do any work after spring semester ends in May, but September 1 will be my official retirement date.
Good planning Mandy! Were you able to transfer all your duties to others, to train your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position? 8-) When your colleagues call you to find this or how to do that, you can tell them you have entered the RetiredForce and are launching your new adventures :D
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Tycoon wrote:Maybe...
Probably not...
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tycoon wrote:
Tycoon wrote:Maybe...
Probably not...
The year is still young Tycoon! Keep us posted :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WolfgangPauli wrote:I am "semi-retired" at 55.. I decided I will do some consulting and help some friends but not going back to the rat race. A little scary as this is earlier than I thought. . . . Please help me calm down.. I do get a little nervous about this.
Emergency whiskey please! We don't want WolfgangPauli going over the retirement cliff . . ! :beer

Welcome to the class! "Not going back to the rat race" qualifies for retirement. Perhaps others can review your retirement plans and offer suggestions, but it looks like you'll be fine. Just keep the brandy handy, or post an SOS and we'll revive you 8-)

Here's your signal flag for "Whiskey - Help! Need assistance!" http://www.flags.com/whiskey-flag/
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Miriam2 wrote:
WolfgangPauli wrote:I am "semi-retired" at 55.. I decided I will do some consulting and help some friends but not going back to the rat race. A little scary as this is earlier than I thought. . . . Please help me calm down.. I do get a little nervous about this.
Emergency whiskey please! We don't want WolfgangPauli going over the retirement cliff . . ! :beer

Welcome to the class! "Not going back to the rat race" qualifies for retirement. Perhaps others can review your retirement plans and offer suggestions, but it looks like you'll be fine. Just keep the brandy handy, or post an SOS and we'll revive you 8-)

Here's your signal flag for "Whiskey - Help! Need assistance!" http://www.flags.com/whiskey-flag/

Thank you!! I will consider myself officially part of the class of 2017!
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

WolfgangPauli wrote:I am "semi-retired" at 55.. I decided I will do some consulting and help some friends but not going back to the rat race. A little scary as this is earlier than I thought. My situation:
  1. No Debt.
My wife and i have decided to get into the physical shape of our lives as that is the only thing that could "go wrong" at this point. Good motivation.

With your assets and your spending pattern you have absolutely nothing to be nervous about.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

Miriam2 wrote:
Mlm wrote:After a year of unemployment I decided to hang up my dancing shoes. I never would have chose to retire at 62 but this is truly the best thing that could have happened and I'm loving it :happy
Welcome to the class - glad it worked out to be the best thing that could have happened :happy I'm sure a year of unemployment was no fun. What date would you like to put down for your done-dancing day?

3/17/17 is my new birthday :D
Mary
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Treeman16 wrote:Well, I retired on April 30th... age 66 1/2... I've begun working stress-free 2 days a week at the local golf course for minimum wage, tips and a free round of golf weekly. I was an outside sales rep in the medical device field and being outside is a benefit. Good-bye sales quotas and numbers that kept me awake at night! I also volunteer at a national park once a week as a guide which is fulfilling and rewarding in many ways.
"Good-bye sales quotas and numbers that kept me awake at night" certainly qualifies as retirement - welcome to the class :D
Volunteering at a national park as a guide and working "stress-free" at a local golf course for min wage, tips and a free round of golf sounds like you enjoy the great outdoors 8-)
Treeman16 wrote:My biggest concern is the mental transition from "spending from earnings" to "spending from savings" and I see that there has been a lot written on this topic. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
Forum member BahamaMan said: "The first thing you have to have is a Withdrawal Plan, otherwise you will spend your first years of retirement cowered in the corner afraid to spend any money, for fear of running out." :shock:

There are many Boglehead threads on this important topic. Here are a few I found:

Transition from Saving to Spending
Allan Roth on "Richest Guy in the Graveyard"
Transition to retirement {income stream?}
The Stages of Retirement Saving
Retiree feelings about nest egg
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

WolfgangPauli wrote:I am "semi-retired" at 55.. I decided I will do some consulting and help some friends but not going back to the rat race. A little scary as this is earlier than I thought. My situation:
  1. No Debt.

Something isn't adding up here. You have 51.66X your expenses (assuming $60K) and zero debt but are worried. Will you also get SS, will your wife her own benefit or spousal? If so you will have 12 years where you need $60K/year then you hit FRA and will need what something between $0-$30K (just guessing)depending on your and your wife's benefit. You need to identify what you are concerned about because looking at your numbers I am not seeing any real reason for concern. Are you concerned about taxes?

If you get a 2.5% real return a year that is $77,500 in today's dollars, 3.0% real is $93,000 and 4.0% real is double your expenses at $124,000 without even taking Social Security into account. By all appearances you have done well beyond awesome, to be in the top 5% of Net Worth for 50-59 year-olds you need $2,465,000 for 60-69 yea-olds (the wealthiest group) you need $3,527,000. Dude you are a solid Five Percenter!!!
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

TheTimeLord wrote:
  1. No Debt.

Something isn't adding up here. You have 51.66X your expenses (assuming $60K) and zero debt but are worried. Will you also get SS, will your wife her own benefit or spousal? If so you will have 12 years where you need $60K/year then you hit FRA and will need what something between $0-$30K (just guessing)depending on your and your wife's benefit. You need to identify what you are concerned about because looking at your numbers I am not seeing any real reason for concern. Are you concerned about taxes?

If you get a 2.5% real return a year that is $77,500 in today's dollars, 3.0% real is $93,000 and 4.0% real is double your expenses at $124,000 without even taking Social Security into account. By all appearances you have done well beyond awesome, to be in the top 5% of Net Worth for 50-59 year-olds you need $2,465,000 for 60-69 yea-olds (the wealthiest group) you need $3,527,000. Dude you are a solid Five Percenter!!!
I am a nervous person in general... the fact that I am no longer accumulating at the rate I was just makes me nervous. I am a "Pascal's wager" type person. I know the numbers are dramatically in my favor... I just hate I am out of the full accumulation phase... :)
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

WolfgangPauli wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
  1. No Debt.

I am a nervous person in general... the fact that I am no longer accumulating at the rate I was just makes me nervous. I am a "Pascal's wager" type person. I know the numbers are dramatically in my favor... I just hate I am out of the full accumulation phase... :)

That I can relate to. Likely to be similar when I retire. But you seem to have positioned yourself very smartly, perhaps have X years of expenses in some inflation protected investment like I Bonds or TIPS would help? You just need to find that investment that feels like a warm, comfortable blanket to you.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bikechuck wrote:I'm in, my graduation date is set for July 07, 2017. I communicated it a year or so ago, it is firm and final and no going back on it at this point. Yipee!
"Firm and final and no going back" sounds like a Top-10 hit :D Welcome to the class!

Bikechuck - are you a bicylist? Have you seen forum member Raybo's threads on his marvelous bicycle adventures? He even rode his bicycle to the Bogleheads Conference two years ago 8-)

First report from my bicycle tour from Amsterdam to Passau
Journal of my ride to the 2015 Bogleheads Conference
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

r60rider wrote:I could not have done this without the Bogleheads.
Just called my boss and gave notice: last day July 31.
Thanks Bogleheads!!!
Congratulations and welcome to the Retirement Class :happy
Are you riding off to the sunset on your R60, or is that not for retired folks? :wink:
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Miriam2 wrote:
MandyT wrote:I plan to retire effective September 1, 2017. I haven't put in my papers, but I've told my department chair and some of my colleagues. I have some duties that will need to be transferred to other people, so I thought about a year's notice would save me some amount of "Mandy, where do you find X? Mandy, how do you do Y?" after I retire. I don't think I'll actually have to do any work after spring semester ends in May, but September 1 will be my official retirement date.
Good planning Mandy! Were you able to transfer all your duties to others, to train your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position? 8-) When your colleagues call you to find this or how to do that, you can tell them you have entered the RetiredForce and are launching your new adventures :D
Thanks for checking in, Miriam2! I put in my papers in September 2016 and have had a fairly smooth final year. One of the successful outcomes of my early notice is that my department, which already had approval to fill another open faculty position for 2017-18, was able to fill mine out of the same search.

Most of my duties have been transferred, though the colleague who's taking over most of my duties ended up being unusually busy at the end of the semester so I did a couple of things myself that I had been hoping to do with him. One of the things he was busy with was planning a retirement party for me, so I didn't have the heart to nag him too badly. He and one of my other colleagues planned a really nice party for an afternoon during Finals Week--it was well-attended, and there were some "gag" gifts and nice gifts.

I'm currently clearing out my office; there is some space for emeritus faculty so I'm going to move a few things and keep them in there. Aside from that, I'll have two or three hours of committee-related work to do in July, then I'll be done. I'm not sure I'll really feel retired, though, until closer to the start of the fall semester.
Tracyfaa

Post by Tracyfaa »

:sharebeer
Retiring September 30, 2017
56 - mandatory retirement due to job CAMI rules, etc.
Will have 32 years 9 months as an ATC specialist at 9 facilities across the country, much of my time in So. California. It's been an awesome journey, and I feel lucky to have seen so many changes and improvements in our system of air traffic control and air travel. Seems a bit surreal now. Still not sure what the future will bring, but I'm sure that less stress will be high up on the list!

I feel fortunate to have stumbled across the boglehead community here. I Wish I had this knowledge base a few years ago. Going forward though, I know I can rest assured that our family's finances will be well taken care of.

D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MandyT wrote:He and one of my other colleagues planned a really nice party for an afternoon during Finals Week--it was well-attended, and there were some "gag" gifts and nice gifts.
What a treat - a nice warm retirement party! Sounds like you are well-liked and respected in your profession :happy
MandyT wrote:I'm not sure I'll really feel retired, though, until closer to the start of the fall semester.
Yes, isn't that interesting, how our feelings of being are so connected to habitual events and the seasonal clock.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tracyfaa wrote:Retiring September 30, 2017
Will have 32 years 9 months as an ATC specialist at 9 facilities across the country, much of my time in So. California. It's been an awesome journey, and I feel lucky to have seen so many changes and improvements in our system of air traffic control and air travel. Seems a bit surreal now. Still not sure what the future will bring, but I'm sure that less stress will be high up on the list!

I feel fortunate to have stumbled across the boglehead community here. I Wish I had this knowledge base a few years ago. Going forward though, I know I can rest assured that our family's finances will be well taken care of.
Wow! Nigh on 33 years as an ATC specialist - that's an Air Traffic Controller - an "awesome journey" for sure :D

Congratulations and welcome to the class!
Wait - you say you're "not sure what the future will bring," but you're sure that "less stress will be high on the list!"
:oops:
Even though the year is not yet half over, I think we can safely award Tracyfaa the "Understatement of the Year" award 8-)

Here are some descriptions of ATC specialists. I confess I needed my "Whiskey-send help-signal flag" just reading this job description.
One of the most pressure packed offices in the world
elite group, a cool group under pressure
such high stress only permitted a 2-hour duty shift
communicating with 60 pilots at once
intensity of job - takes multitasking focus to a new level
requires total concentration
demanding training regimen
Tracyfaa - is this you up in the control tower? 8-)

http://www.today.com/money/matt-lauer-i ... wer-t77201
SR II

Post by SR II »

Miriam2 wrote:
SR II wrote:August 1 is my official retirement date! Woohoo!
Congratulations SR II :happy Will add you to this very important list. Any plans?
Yes! First, a retirement celebration trip to Switzerland. Second, the Bogleheads conference in October. Then, prepare our house to sell, to take the equity and run to a lower cost of living state!
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Miriam2 wrote:
bikechuck wrote:I'm in, my graduation date is set for July 07, 2017. I communicated it a year or so ago, it is firm and final and no going back on it at this point. Yipee!
"Firm and final and no going back" sounds like a Top-10 hit :D Welcome to the class!

Bikechuck - are you a bicylist? Have you seen forum member Raybo's threads on his marvelous bicycle adventures? He even rode his bicycle to the Bogleheads Conference two years ago 8-)

First report from my bicycle tour from Amsterdam to Passau
Journal of my ride to the 2015 Bogleheads Conference
Yes, I have bicycled 3,000 to 5,000 miles per year in each of the last 30 years or so with the exception of last year when I had three surgeries. The surgeries went well and I am once again slowly building myself up. My favorite type of bicycling is self contained touring with a tent, sleeping bag, stove etc. My trips have included a ride around Lake Eire, a ride from Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez Mississippi, several rides in Michigan and Wisconsin along Lake Michigan. I rode over 10,000 miles with my older daughter on a tandem in her teenage years.

Thanks for pointing out Raybo, I will search for some of his past posts!

edited to correct a typo
Tracyfaa

Post by Tracyfaa »

Miriam2 wrote:
Tracyfaa wrote:Retiring September 30, 2017

Wow! Nigh on 33 years as an ATC specialist - that's an Air Traffic Controller - an "awesome journey" for sure :D

Congratulations and welcome to the class!
Wait - you say you're "not sure what the future will bring," but you're sure that "less stress will be high on the list!"
:oops:
Even though the year is not yet half over, I think we can safely award Tracyfaa the "Understatement of the Year" award 8-)

Here are some descriptions of ATC specialists. I confess I needed my "Whiskey-send help-signal flag" just reading this job description.
One of the most pressure packed offices in the world
elite group, a cool group under pressure
such high stress only permitted a 2-hour duty shift
communicating with 60 pilots at once
intensity of job - takes multitasking focus to a new level
requires total concentration
demanding training regimen
Tracyfaa - is this you up in the control tower? 8-)

http://www.today.com/money/matt-lauer-i ... wer-t77201
Ha! I've seen that piece. It's actually pretty spot on. Thanks for the kind words! That said, I'm pretty sure I've never had 60 planes on frequency at once, but there have been times when it seemed like it. Thunderstorms here in the Midwest can really test your resolve. I'll definitely be glad to put all of that behind me! :beer :beer

Now...how do you just quote little snippets instead quoting a whole response at once??? :confused

D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tracyfaa wrote:Now...how do you just quote little snippets instead quoting a whole response at once??? :confused
When you are composing your message in the white "post a reply" window and you have your quoted material in quotes brackets, put your cursor into the quoted portion and edit it the way you want, leaving only the sentence or clause you want to quote for your reply. Then put your cursor out of the quoted portion and continue with your reply.

The quoted part will be in beige and your direct reply will be in blue.

You can keep doing that - moving in and out of quoted portions - to highlight or answer many different portions of a big quote.

The key is to keep the beginning of each quoted portion with the "beginning quote code" and keep the end of each quoted portion with the "end quote code." Click on the "quote" tab in the reply window to see what I tried :annoyed to say. In other words, keep your quoted material within the quote brackets and you can edit all you want inside the quote brackets :happy

Maybe a techie will explain it more succinctly and save me from myself :mrgreen:

Further helpful instructions are in the upper left FAQs tab

And you can try out test posts here
Tracyfaa

Post by Tracyfaa »

Ahhh. I think I've got it!
The quoted part will be in beige and your direct reply will be in blue.
Thanks!

And congrats to all retirees!

D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

In reading this retirement roll call thread, it's interesting to see the number of Bogleheads for whom "planning retirement" means "plotting out the financial aspects of health care insurance." It appears to be one of the more critical timing issues in the map for retirement and a cause of great concern for many.
heikejohn1 wrote:My husband would love to retire in 17, but we still don't know what to expect in health care coverage.
$200.00 or $2000.00, or anything in between. :annoyed
That is our biggest hurdle in our decision
heikejohn1 - did you figure out your health care issue? Were you able to determine what to expect in health care coverage? We hope you are over the hurdle and on target for a nice retirement :D
Just sayin... wrote:I had declared myself a member of the Class of 2016, but circumstances beyond my control intervened. Thus, I am re-declaring for 2017. Specifically, my last day at work will be June 30th. That will give me 18 months of COBRA (until the end of 2018) to see where the dust settles with regards to the changing landscape of the ACA - medical expenses being the single largest personal budget line-item for my wife and I. I have set my countdown calendar and eagerly look forward to the next phase of life!
Just sayin - Are you still on board for your June 30th launch? :D Were you able to put together a good health insurance plan?
SuzBanyan wrote:I plan to work enough hours this year to get health insurance coverage, then re-evaluate.
SuzBanyan - were you able to get your health insurance coverage, are you in re-evaluation mode :wink:
sil2017 wrote:New here but not new to Vanguard Investment philosophy and investing.
June 2017 will be my retirement date.
A little concern about paying health care cost.
Also, reading about retiring in Spain, Lisbon , Thailand or France .
June is here and upon us, so this is your month! Congratulations! You have a wide range of retirement places - did you decide yet?

You are not the only Boglehead who is retiring and expressing concern about paying health care costs. If you retire overseas, how does that affect your health care?
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Hard to believe I don't have to navigate through rush hour nor have to work anymore.
Lunch specials and Happy hour all day long

Sil2017
Last edited by sil2017 on Sun May 29, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Miriam2 wrote:Just sayin - Are you still on board for your June 30th launch? :D Were you able to put together a good health insurance plan?
Hi Miriam, I am currently on extended vacation (using it all up) and will turn in my notice on July 5th! :sharebeer This is a netherworld that I'm finding very enjoyable - still being on the payroll, but not going to work! I've had to work it this way, because in the past, I've watched people be immediaately walked out after giving notice...and not be paid for vacation. Yes - you read that right. So I'm using it all up, THEN giving notice upon my return. Regarding the healthcare question - I will qualify for 18 months of COBRA, which will take me through the end of 2018. I'm hoping that our government will come up with some options during that period...
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Had The Talk with my boss and I'm now on track to sever employment in September. The date could move earlier if my replacement trains up quickly.

Like many of you we're concerned about health insurance costs. We decided to not plan our lives based on worst case scenarios. It would be possible to have a reasonable life even if that happened.

Looking forward to joining the retirees.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity