Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
mrc

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by mrc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 am

InvestorThom wrote:It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

A guess a lot has to do with the amount of respect you have for your employer, co-workers and the amount of transition that is required.

I'm curious how folks think about the timing of giving notice.

Thanks.

Depends on the situation. If two to four weeks (depending on level) is the norm, that can change if one wanted to give a group they really know and care about more time to replace you. OTOH, if you may be shown the door that day ...
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:36 pm

I have retired after 35 years of Megacorp, and after 42 years in the work force. Yippie!

My retirement age is 59. I will be 59 1/2 by the end of 2017.
Last edited by Church Lady on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 pm

InvestorThom wrote:It seems people on here are giving considerable notice to their employer when they decide to retire, i.e., months.

A guess a lot has to do with the amount of respect you have for your employer, co-workers and the amount of transition that is required.

I'm curious how folks think about the timing of giving notice.

Thanks.
I didn't want to put my co-workers in a bind, so I gave lots of notice.
Retirement is just a form of quitting. The notice window is very personal.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Church Lady wrote:I have retired after 35 years of Megacorp, and after 42 years in the work force. Yippie!

Congratulations Church Lady!! You're added to THE LIST. Please provide date and age :mrgreen: if you're so inclined.

After 35 years of Megacorp and 42 years in the work force, enjoy your well-deserved retirement. And what will you do??

Actually, we know what you'll do: BLEND 8-)

For those who missed the other thread, Church Lady is an active blender - she's the Smoothie Queen, the Blender Queen - she just throws anything she has in the frig - I mean anything, lettuce, parsley, anything green (but NO raw chard), tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, okra :annoyed carrots, squash, pumpkin, radishes, celery, avocados, ginger roots, beets, cranberries with impunity, pecans, sunflower seeds, cashews (but NO toasted almonds), spice it up with cilantro, basil, mint, garlic and onion - and who knows, maybe even left-over Chinese food - add milk but no beer :annoyed - she just plops it all into her blender, pushes "high" and whoooosh!! blends everything into, well, some kind of concoction :shock: :shock: :beer

Her motto - Drink your greens! :D

Church Lady, here's an idea :idea: why don't you use livesoft's recipe of adding Dr. Pepper to your smoothie concoction and doing crunches with barbells in between sips - and you'll have awesome abs like livesoft 8-) :

livesoft wrote:
I want to report that oatmeal has given me awesome abs. The trick is not to use a rice cooker, but to cook oatmeal in a microwave using the following procedure:

1. Measure 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c Dr Pepper, 1/2 c water into a large glass microwave-proof bowl and set aside.
2. Go do 25 crunches with barbells in each hand held near your ears.
3. Put the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute.
4. While 3 is happening, go do another 25 crunches with barbells.
5. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for another minute.
6. Another set of crunches.
7. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for 30 - 45 seconds.
8. Another set of crunches.
9. Remove oatmeal in bowl from microwave, stir and set aside as it is too hot to eat.
10. Another set of crunches.
11. Check temperature of oatmeal, if too hot, then switch to straight leg lifts (25 in a set, no touching the floor).
12. Repeat step 11 until you can eat the oatmeal.

:D :D

Putting aside that suggestion, Church Lady we're looking forward to your many financial (and culinary) contributions to our forum in your retirement :D

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Gort wrote:Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!
Way to go Gort!! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Gort takes the award as The Most Senior Boglehead in this retirement class, having joined the Boglehead forum in March 2007, less than a month after the forum began. :beer

Being an alien robot who arrived in a spaceship on The Day the Earth Stood Still, Gort started out reserved. His first post was "Test."
Another early post was "Klaatu barada nikto."

He then got the hang of the Boglehead philosophy and began buying up .32 cent Forever stamps from the post office as a good investment to use, well, forever :wink: . The value of his investment in stamps went up, just like the stock market. Gort was described as an awesome eight-foot robot with the power to evaporate anything he targets with his laser-like vision :D Truly an awesome Boglehead 8-)

He has now targeted his employment and evaporated his job. Klaatu barada nikto!!

So what does an awesome eight-foot robot do when he retires??

Well, this could pose problems. One can only imagine Gort on a senior citizen cruise through the Caribbean, squished into an RV touring the National Parks, lumbering along the Champs-Elysees or through the Louvre or Buckingham Palace, hiking up to Machu Picchu, or sunbathing on the beaches of Hawaii, and the list could go on.

On the other hand, Gort says he has exciting plans ahead - "much to do and see in the world now!!!!" Gort, we wish you good luck on the open road ahead of you with the wind at your back :happy (and careful with the laser)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gort

Post by Gort » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Gort wrote:Retired today!!!! Age 64. Worked full-time for the past 36 years then slowly eased into today's retirement by working part-time in my job for the past 2 years. Much to do and see in the world now!!!!!
Way to go Gort!! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Gort takes the award as The Most Senior Boglehead in this retirement class, having joined the Boglehead forum in March 2007, less than a month after the forum began. :beer

Being an alien robot who arrived in a spaceship on The Day the Earth Stood Still, Gort started out reserved. His first post was "Test."
Another early post was "Klaatu barada nikto."

He then got the hang of the Boglehead philosophy and began buying up .32 cent Forever stamps from the post office as a good investment to use, well, forever :wink: . The value of his investment in stamps went up, just like the stock market. Gort was described as an awesome eight-foot robot with the power to evaporate anything he targets with his laser-like vision :D Truly an awesome Boglehead 8-)

He has now targeted his employment and evaporated his job. Klaatu barada nikto!!

So what does an awesome eight-foot robot do when he retires??

Well, this could pose problems. One can only imagine Gort on a senior citizen cruise through the Caribbean, squished into an RV touring the National Parks, lumbering along the Champs-Elysees or through the Louvre or Buckingham Palace, hiking up to Machu Picchu, or sunbathing on the beaches of Hawaii, and the list could go on.

On the other hand, Gort says he has exciting plans ahead - "much to do and see in the world now!!!!" Gort, we wish you good luck on the open road ahead of you with the wind at your back :happy (and careful with the laser)
:sharebeer

Geronkas

Post by Geronkas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm

I will be retired from the US army after 21 years of service. It has been a wonderful and challenging time. But it is time to hang it up. My last day will be sometime in December. I do not know what the future holds, but I am optimistic. Thank you Bogleheads for helping to prepare me and my DW for this new chapter.

Geronkas

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Geronkas wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm
I will be retired from the US army after 21 years of service. It has been a wonderful and challenging time. But it is time to hang it up. My last day will be sometime in December. I do not know what the future holds, but I am optimistic. Thank you Bogleheads for helping to prepare me and my DW for this new chapter.

Geronkas
Congratulations Geronkas and welcome to this outstanding Retirement Class!

We truly appreciate your service to our country :happy 8-)

But yes, time to hang it up and move on to new adventures. Please let us know what the future holds.

However, If you ever get lonely for the good old army days, the Boglehead forum can help you out - just turn up your speakers and click HERE :D