Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 16812
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:34 pm

cinghiale wrote:Whiggish Boffin,
Thanks for the update. For me, it was just a matter of courtesy to check in with Victoria on this.
And congratulations on your upcoming retirement! I'm a happy member of the Class of 2015.
Will do good,
Nothing to fear. Victoria is quite wonderful. How can you be a pilgrim on the Camino and not be?


I am very pleased that Roll Calls for Retirement Classes continue without me. Maintaining the previous Roll Calls took some of my time, and importantly, it required my regular participation in the Forum. This started interfering with my need for long breaks. Some of my projects proceed better when I isolate myself from the Internet for a while and give them my full attention.

Congratulations to all members of the Retirement Class of 2017!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 16812
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Whiggish Boffin wrote:At the DC Area Diehards meeting last September, Victoria said she is happy to pass this baton. These days, I gather she's more interested in getting people to walk the Camino de Santiago.


I am definitely happy to pass this baton.

As for the Camino, it's not that I want to force more people to the Camino, but rather I like to explain the Camino to those who are interested and dispel any misconceptions they may have. I think that walking the Camino is an excellent retirement project for many Bogleheads, which is relevant to this thread.

Congratulations with becoming a gentleman of leisure!
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Ashley1748
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Ashley1748 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Sep/Oct '17, 90% there..

User avatar
cfs
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by cfs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Saludos! Just back from my LUng Distance Workout. Congratulation to the Retirement Class of 2017, and the good thing is that today I finished working on the retirement package for my dw [praise the Lord], on retirement effective 3/31/17. Next stop [in April] New Jersey, then across the Atlantic to Dublin. Retirement is great, life is wonderful. Staying physically and mentally active. God Bless, thanks for reading ~cfs~
Psalm 41:12
~ Ponga su anuncio aquí ~

User avatar
iceport
Posts: 3220
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by iceport » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Tom1320 wrote:
iceport wrote:April 1, 2017!



The decision to leave this early has been much tougher than I had ever expected. I'll be taking a huge 30% hit in my pension for leaving 5 years early, and there will be 5 years' less savings. So retirement income will be significantly reduced compared to waiting until 60.

However, the opportunity cost in lost time by waiting seemed too great a price to pay. While I've enjoyed job satisfaction throughout my career, it takes more and more effort to muster enthusiasm anymore (he said on a Friday evening). Thirty years at the same place feels like just enough.

With basic expenses covered by a modest pension (about 1/3 of my final salary), and everything else covered by a combination of pre-tax, post-tax and taxable savings, the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification.

8-)


This resonates strongly with my outlook and situation. I had 32 years at my employer and turn 55 later this year. The opportunity to discover new aspects of myself without a 9 to 5, five days a week constraint is exciting. How many good years does anyone have?

Good luck and safe travels to us all :beer .


ditto, ditto - 30 years. A long time. Here's to us and our new lives!

Numb but smiling. Just turned the badge in this evening, and left my workplace for the last time as an employee.

8-)

Best wishes, everyone!

:sharebeer
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

galectin
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by galectin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Today, March 31!

I am running out my vacation time until the middle of May, but I won't be going back to work (Ph.D. basic science professor at a midwestern medical school).

This morning I deleted the alarm setting for weekday mornings on my phone. Come Monday, it won't be going off.

LadyIJ
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm

retired for one month now, and I do not miss the alarm AT ALL. I never thought I would stay in bed until 8 a.m. but I am. And I am not missing work a bit and have already met some new people in my neighborhood and am getting a nice routine going. Good luck, but you won't need it :)

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017.

So far there are 10 graduates and the year has barely begun.

Already graduated - Congratulations!!
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
xx Jan - quantAndHold
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin

Graduating soon :P
28 Apr - akblizzard
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
xx Jun - sil2017
30 Jun - Just sayin
31 Jul - peregrine
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Oct - mcblum
xx Riverstwo (58)
xx Tycoon
xx songman52

In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

Please advise if you wish to add your name to this very important list 8-)

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4252
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)



Very nice, I love it. :sharebeer
Run, You Clever Boy!

sil2017
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by sil2017 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 am

Miriam2-

Sil2017- June 15, 2017

User avatar
iceport
Posts: 3220
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by iceport » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017.

So far there are 10 graduates and the year has barely begun.

Thanks for doing this, Miriam!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

User avatar
ram
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by ram » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 pm

I do not know if "we" qualify for entry to this class. Feel free to throw us out, if necessary.
My wife and I decided to 'gradually' retire. As of a week ago she went down from full time to 90% (0.9 FTE, full time equivalent). This means she will get 23 additional vacation days/yr.
I am still working fulltime but have cut down from 55hrs/wk to about 45 hrs/wk with plans to go down to only 40 hr/wk. Our retirement will likely span over 10 yrs.
Our employer allows for employment anywhere from 0.2 FTE (1day/week) to 1.0 FTE in 0.1 FTE (0.5 day/wk) increments.
Ram

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:21 pm

ram wrote:I do not know if "we" qualify for entry to this class. Feel free to throw us out, if necessary.
My wife and I decided to 'gradually' retire. As of a week ago she went down from full time to 90% (0.9 FTE, full time equivalent). This means she will get 23 additional vacation days/yr.
I am still working fulltime but have cut down from 55hrs/wk to about 45 hrs/wk with plans to go down to only 40 hr/wk. Our retirement will likely span over 10 yrs.
Our employer allows for employment anywhere from 0.2 FTE (1day/week) to 1.0 FTE in 0.1 FTE (0.5 day/wk) increments.

Hmmm . . . this is a more difficult situation. Can't throw you out because we're nice Bogleheads, can't put you into the Graduated list because you haven't graduated, or the Graduating soon list because you're retiring sooooo slowly, but looks like you would fit into the Perpetual Perambulation list :D :D So the TimeLord has some company 8-)

rennale
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by rennale » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 am

First post. Not likely to be the last! Got to start somewhere.

I also plan to retire this year, when I get to 67. Basically terrified. Been in the IT industry since college. Enough already. Was once wisely advised to not retire from something, but to retire to something. But the "from" takes so many waking hours that I've not really figured out what the "to" is.

I think I have the necessary FI but, now single & with no kids, I wonder if I have the necessary courage. I always thought it would be the other way around. :happy

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank goodness Tax Season is over :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed Time to post the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017.

So far there are 11 graduates and the year is blossoming into spring . . .

Already graduated - Congratulations!!
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
xx Jan - quantAndHold
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
31 Mar - galectin
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin

Graduating soon :P
28 Apr - akblizzard
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
15 Jun - sil2017
30 Jun - Just sayin
31 Jul - peregrine
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Oct - mcblum
xx Riverstwo (58)
xx Tycoon
xx songman52
xx Ashley1748
xx rennale (67)

In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

Please let me know if I left anyone off 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Whiggish Boffin wrote:On April Fools' Day i will become a gentleman of leisure.

Ahh, a Gentleman of Leisure - and will you be living in Genteel Poverty? :happy
Whiggish Boffin wrote:I'm planning a floor-and-upside strategy in the spirit of Bodie, Milevsky, and Bobcat2. I will live no worse than Genteel Poverty to the end of my days, and probably will end up better off than that. Genteel Poverty covers my basic life-support needs, and also provides dignity and some diversions. . . . More likely than not, I'll have money to give away, or to squander.

Please let us all know how Genteel Poverty fares 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Lance wrote:My very first post. Retiring January 31, 2017 after 40+ years in the computer industry. It was a great career to me, but I'm really looking forward to the freedom.

Congratulation Lance, but OMG, 40+ years in the computer industry, why you probably have fond memories of the Eniac and the Univac :happy Were you one of those smuggly geeky guys walking around campus with large stacks of 3x7 computer punch cards in your hands before the rest of us even knew what a computer was?? :beer

oldcomputerguy wrote:Punched out January 3.
:beer :happy

Another old computer geek with stacks of 3x7 punch cards - see, he's still carrying them around to punch out :D Oldcomputerguy, do you still have your old Altair 8800 kicking around in your garage??

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 pm

galectin wrote:Today, March 31!

I am running out my vacation time until the middle of May, but I won't be going back to work (Ph.D. basic science professor at a midwestern medical school).

This morning I deleted the alarm setting for weekday mornings on my phone. Come Monday, it won't be going off.

Good going galectin! But what will your students do without you? Not even returning to give them the final? :shock:

galectin
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by galectin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 am

Miriam2 wrote:
galectin wrote:Today, March 31!

I am running out my vacation time until the middle of May, but I won't be going back to work (Ph.D. basic science professor at a midwestern medical school).

This morning I deleted the alarm setting for weekday mornings on my phone. Come Monday, it won't be going off.

Good going galectin! But what will your students do without you? Not even returning to give them the final? :shock:


I was in charge of a course for our first-year-students in the fall semester, but was just lecturing in somebody else's course this semester. I finished that at the end of Feb. and completed being chair of another campus-wide committee at the end of March.

Unfortunately, my wife has a foot injury that prevents her from driving. So, I am her chauffeur and spent my first day of retirement at Jo-Ann Fabric and Hobby Lobby. :confused

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 am

Miriam2 wrote:Another old computer geek with stacks of 3x7 punch cards - see, he's still carrying them around to punch out :D Oldcomputerguy, do you still have your old Altair 8800 kicking around in your garage??


Nope, never owned an Altair 8800, as much as I wanted to (although I did own a Commodore 64 and a Commodore 128). But if it helps my "oldcomputerguy" cred to admit it, I do still have some punched cards laying around, as well as an old IBM 8" single-density floppy disk and a reel of 3M 777 9-track tape, and my computer book library still includes the first programming book I ever owned (Donald H. Ford's "Basic Fortran IV Programming", circa 1972). Also, I currently have a user account set up on the SDS Sigma 9 mainframe at the Living Computer Museum in Seattle. 8-)

How's that for "old"?
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 am

galectin wrote:Today, March 31!

I am running out my vacation time until the middle of May, but I won't be going back to work (Ph.D. basic science professor at a midwestern medical school).

This morning I deleted the alarm setting for weekday mornings on my phone. Come Monday, it won't be going off.


In that same vein, when I punched out I left my workplace iPhone for my successor. I do have a personal Android ConsumerCellular phone, but :twisted: I have "do not disturb" turned on during the night-time / overnight hours. Feels great!
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

galectin wrote:Unfortunately, my wife has a foot injury that prevents her from driving. So, I am her chauffeur and spent my first day of retirement at Jo-Ann Fabric and Hobby Lobby. :confused

I'm afraid it's just begun. Wait till you need to chauffeur back to Jo-Ann's to return items, then to Michael's for the perfect ribbon, then to the hair salon, pharmacy, grocery store, nail salon, pet store, Macy's to return that dress, and so on. :wink:

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:Nope, never owned an Altair 8800, as much as I wanted to (although I did own a Commodore 64 and a Commodore 128). But if it helps my "oldcomputerguy" cred to admit it, I do still have some punched cards laying around, as well as an old IBM 8" single-density floppy disk and a reel of 3M 777 9-track tape, and my computer book library still includes the first programming book I ever owned (Donald H. Ford's "Basic Fortran IV Programming", circa 1972). Also, I currently have a user account set up on the SDS Sigma 9 mainframe at the Living Computer Museum in Seattle. 8-)

How's that for "old"?

I love it! :D Sounds like my dad who kept his old textbooks from veterinary school on delivering calves and a container of large horse syringes.

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

iceport wrote:I've notified Human Resources, my supervisor, and his supervisor, so it must be real. My last day on the payroll will be March 31, 2017, just a month and change after turning 55.

The decision to leave this early has been much tougher than I had ever expected. I'll be taking a huge 30% hit in my pension for leaving 5 years early, and there will be 5 years' less savings. So retirement income will be significantly reduced compared to waiting until 60.

However, the opportunity cost in lost time by waiting seemed too great a price to pay. While I've enjoyed job satisfaction throughout my career, it takes more and more effort to muster enthusiasm anymore (he said on a Friday evening). Thirty years at the same place feels like just enough.

With basic expenses covered by a modest pension (about 1/3 of my final salary), and everything else covered by a combination of pre-tax, post-tax and taxable savings, the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification. 8-)

Iceport :happy

Your post is one of those memorable heart-felt personal descriptions of this retirement decision; we all thank you for sharing this :happy I think 30 years was enough. Good work and now a good retirement.

Your many valuable posts over the years, especially on personal financial glide paths, have been helpful to me. Perhaps as time moves on you could share how everything worked out for you.

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm

iceport wrote:. . . the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification.

Iceport, may I share this, from another forum member in a thread from last year when another Boglehead was dealing with the angst of the retirement decision:

I offer these uplifting words from Walt Whitman, words that have always encouraged me through the years:

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.
. . . . . .

From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines,
Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,
Listening to others, considering well what they say,
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,
The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

I am larger, better than I thought,
I did not know I held so much goodness.
. . . . .

Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe - I have tried it - my own feet have tried it well - be not detain'd!
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen'd!
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd!
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the court,
and the judge expound the law."


From one of my favorite poems, "The Song of the Open Road," by Walt Whitman, 1856.

User avatar
iceport
Posts: 3220
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by iceport » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am

Miriam2 wrote:
iceport wrote:. . . the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification.

Iceport, may I share this, from another forum member in a thread from last year when another Boglehead was dealing with the angst of the retirement decision:

I offer these uplifting words from Walt Whitman, words that have always encouraged me through the years:

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.
. . . . . .

From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines,
Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,
Listening to others, considering well what they say,
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,
The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

I am larger, better than I thought,
I did not know I held so much goodness.
. . . . .

Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe - I have tried it - my own feet have tried it well - be not detain'd!
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen'd!
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd!
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the court,
and the judge expound the law."


From one of my favorite poems, "The Song of the Open Road," by Walt Whitman, 1856.

Thank you for this inspirational poem, Miriam! It does capture much of the intense emotion — wonder, opportunity, and satisfaction — of this transition. I have the distinct feeling that I've crossed a barrier, that my outlook on life has changed profoundly.

There are still times when I feel self-indulgent about leaving so much earlier than my peers. But I am reminded every time I look in the mirror, not only was this not too early, it was probably just in time!

Thanks for your kind words.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:50 pm

LadyIJ wrote:March 3, 2017 will be my last day of work. I thought I would retire 3 years ago, and kept putting it off, raising the bar, but a few weeks ago I just went in and gave notice. So glad I pulled the trigger. Bogleheads has been very helpful along the way. . . . I'm not as young as I wanted to be. Darn! . . . 30 years. A long time. Here's to us and our new lives!

LadyIJ,

Enjoy the "wonder, opportunity and satisfaction" of retirement, as Iceport said above. A long good work and now a long good and well-deserved retirement. Maybe not as young as you wanted to be, but certainly younger than you could have been. The open road is ahead of you :happy

LadyIJ wrote:retired for one month now, and I do not miss the alarm AT ALL. I never thought I would stay in bed until 8 a.m. but I am. And I am not missing work a bit and have already met some new people in my neighborhood and am getting a nice routine going.

Hmm, just wait until you stay in bed until noon :happy But then that might mean you were out until 4:00 am :wink:

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Johnora wrote:Well my last day of work will be December 22nd, 2016, but my official retirement day will be March 1st, 2017. Riding out vacation time until then. Starting to get the retirement jitters but have a solid plan that we have worked on for years.

What to do in retirement: Watching my newest Grandson, taking care of my parents, and anything else that comes along that I really want to do!! :happy

So far we haven't heard about any jitters, has your retirement gone according to plan? - or is your grandson keeping you busy and sending your plans to the wind :D

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 3902
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by dratkinson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm

I can't delay SS any longer so declare myself to be officially retired in Dec with the class of 2017.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

The Wizard
Posts: 10519
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by The Wizard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 pm

dratkinson wrote:I can't delay SS any longer so declare myself to be officially retired in Dec with the class of 2017.

I don't quite understand.
What does being age 70 have to do with retirement, in your case?
I ask partly because my family doctor back when I was a teenager​ is still working his job in his mid 80s...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 3902
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by dratkinson » Mon May 01, 2017 1:55 pm

The Wizard wrote:
dratkinson wrote:I can't delay SS any longer so declare myself to be officially retired in Dec with the class of 2017.

I don't quite understand.
What does being age 70 have to do with retirement, in your case?
I ask partly because my family doctor back when I was a teenager​ is still working his job in his mid 80s...


I probably misspoke. Sorry for the confusion. Should have said "No reason to delay SS beyond age 70...", indirectly referring to "taking SS" as being the time I consider myself to be officially retired.

Have spent last few years working non-paying projects for myself and friends, but haven't considered myself to be officially retired until I start SS. Will continue working small projects afterwards.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Tom1320 wrote:New member and first post. Just started this new life on Monday, 30-January thanks to Mr. Bogle and all the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum. Let's hope we ALL graduate at the top of our class :beer :D .

I had 32 years at my employer and turn 55 later this year. The opportunity to discover new aspects of myself without a 9 to 5, five days a week constraint is exciting. How many good years does anyone have?
Good luck and safe travels to us all :beer

Welcome to the Bogleheads! And your first post is your graduation post, not bad :D

Hope you have many good years left. Enjoy the "wonder, opportunity and satisfaction" of Walt Whitman's open road. I like your closing, good luck and safe travels to you and us all 8-)

bikechuck
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by bikechuck » Fri May 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Here is the updated Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017.

So far there are 10 graduates and the year has barely begun.

Already graduated - Congratulations!!
03 Jan - oldcomputerguy
xx Jan - quantAndHold
30 Jan - Tom1320 (54)
31 Jan - Lance
08 Feb - mrc
28 Feb - munemaker
01 Mar - Johnora
03 Mar - LadyIJ
01 Apr - iceport (55)
01 Apr - Whiggish Boffin

Graduating soon :P
28 Apr - akblizzard
12 May - 50ismygoal (50)
xx Jun - sil2017
30 Jun - Just sayin
31 Jul - peregrine
01 Sep - MandyT
01 Oct - mcblum
xx Riverstwo (58)
xx Tycoon
xx songman52

In perpetual perambulation :happy
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . .)

Please advise if you wish to add your name to this very important list 8-)



I'm in, my graduation date is set for July 07, 2017. I communicated it a year or so ago, it is firm and final and no going back on it at this point. Yipee!

TravelforFun
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by TravelforFun » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Was going to graduate this year at 65 but the boss and I agreed I should work part time. I love the three-day work week, four-day weekend every week. At this rate, I think I will keep going for many more years.

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 pm

munemaker wrote:My last day of work is February 28, 2017.

I graduated from college in 1975, and have been working continuously for almost 42 years.

Reached critical mass a couple years ago, but just wasn't ready. Have a couple small pensions from old jobs, but mostly dependent on our retirement savings.

Another Boglehead who has worked continuously for over 40 years, reached critical mass, then wasn't quite ready to make that great decision. Same here - are we workaholics or are we worried about change or do we fear the de-cumulation phase? Nice that you did make your great decision. A long good work and now a long good and well-deserved retirement. :happy

Enjoy the "wonder, opportunity and satisfaction" of Walt Whitman's open road. 8-)

nukewerker
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by nukewerker » Sun May 07, 2017 4:16 am

I have always enjoyed these threads. It gives me hope that one day I will make it there too. As I get ready to start my 13th year of post grad employment and 10th job I am a little discouraged but I just keep plugging away. Maybe this will be the job that takes me 20 years down the road.

Just wanted to share a retirement email I received one time. I thought it was a nice summary and plan to use it one day when my time is up.

"Today is my last day.
In the ‘39 Groucho Marx’s film “Animal Crackers” Captain Spalding said it best:
Hello, I must be going,
I cannot stay, I came to say, I must be going.
I’m glad I came, but just the same I must be going.

I am leaving __________ to pursue a career in loafing. It is liken to being a professional
bum. I am taking time to do the things I want to do, while still able to do so.

I rapidly revert to a retiree pace, so if you call, after 10:00, talk… slowly…."

WoodSpinner
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun May 07, 2017 10:23 am

Count me in.

Dec 15, 2017

We just booked our 1st retirement vacation to Australia. 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:22 pm

nukewerker wrote:Just wanted to share a retirement email I received one time. I thought it was a nice summary and plan to use it one day when my time is up.

"Today is my last day.
In the ‘39 Groucho Marx’s film “Animal Crackers” Captain Spalding said it best:
Hello, I must be going,
I cannot stay, I came to say, I must be going.
I’m glad I came, but just the same I must be going.

I am leaving __________ to pursue a career in loafing. It is liken to being a professional
bum. I am taking time to do the things I want to do, while still able to do so.

I rapidly revert to a retiree pace, so if you call, after 10:00, talk… slowly…."

Thank you nukewerker for the nice retirement email. Do you mind if we all just use your copy, so we don't have to recreate the wheel every time one of us retires? :wink:

And we enjoy the Groucho Marx elegy 8-) - we'll add it to our Walt Whitman "Song of the Open Road." Are we a literary class or what??

In "Animal Crackers," Groucho also said:

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

:D :D

nukewerker
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by nukewerker » Mon May 08, 2017 4:36 am

Miriam2 wrote:
nukewerker wrote:Just wanted to share a retirement email I received one time. I thought it was a nice summary and plan to use it one day when my time is up.

"Today is my last day.
In the ‘39 Groucho Marx’s film “Animal Crackers” Captain Spalding said it best:
Hello, I must be going,
I cannot stay, I came to say, I must be going.
I’m glad I came, but just the same I must be going.

I am leaving __________ to pursue a career in loafing. It is liken to being a professional
bum. I am taking time to do the things I want to do, while still able to do so.

I rapidly revert to a retiree pace, so if you call, after 10:00, talk… slowly…."

Thank you nukewerker for the nice retirement email. Do you mind if we all just use your copy, so we don't have to recreate the wheel every time one of us retires? :wink:

And we enjoy the Groucho Marx elegy 8-) - we'll add it to our Walt Whitman "Song of the Open Road." Are we a literary class or what??

In "Animal Crackers," Groucho also said:

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

:D :D


Absolutely-have at it. I looked up the guy that wrote this awhile back and true to form his senior softball team made some local headlines.

boglefannyc
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by boglefannyc » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

My last official day on the books is May 19, 2017. I'm currently running off my vacation time so no more going to work :D :D

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

mrc wrote:I'm in, graduation day is February 8th. Great to have so many classmates! . . . Bogleheads have been essential for me.

Yes, Bogleheads have been essential for many of us 8-) Did any Bogleheads help you plant your 440 trees? :mrgreen:

quantAndHold wrote:My last day at work was in the first week of January. Not sure if I'm calling it or not. I think it depends on whether or not I can get health insurance once the Cobra runs out next year.

We're still holding our breath, are you calling it, did you punch out :?:

akblizzard wrote:I'm calling it! April 28th will be my last day at work. :beer

Haven't heard how it went . . . still stuck in that Alaska blizzard with your beer?

50ismygoal wrote:I'm out on May 12th, the day I turn 50, which happens to be a Friday this year. My employer and employees all know and I can't wait until the big day. I may get involved in politics, something forbidden with my career, and I may dip my toe in the part-time employment pool at some point.

You're our most recent graduate, congratulations! Bet you loved your weekend with no Monday to look forward to :D

But good grief 50ismygoal, getting involved in politics . . . now that's a relaxing retirement :mrgreen:
I heard that Mel was recently elected to some fancy position in the great little city of Daytona Beach Shores. He wasn't sure whether to take everyone's congratulations or commiserations 8-)

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am
Location: right here

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by mrc » Tue May 16, 2017 4:30 am

Miriam2 wrote:
mrc wrote:I'm in, graduation day is February 8th. Great to have so many classmates! . . . Bogleheads have been essential for me.

Yes, Bogleheads have been essential for many of us 8-) Did any Bogleheads help you plant your 440 trees? :mrgreen:



We planted the trees years ago. But we were junior Bogleheads even then: LBYM, save the max in IRA/401k, stay the course, all seemed to come natural. We were even half in TSP! It's been a little over 3 months now, and it's been GRAND. That sense of dread I used to feel on Sunday afternoon is completely gone.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

MichaelM
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by MichaelM » Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 am

My first day of retirement was Jan 1, '17! Megacorp (ENGR) survivor. Age: 63.5. Had no respect for anyone I worked with and had started stealing office supplies so knew my time was at hand. My 100 year old American company was purchased by French and completely destroyed except for designs already in the drawer. These first five months have been very serine and I am slowly releasing my anger / disgust at what I experienced the last few years at job, oh what a job it got to be - worked like a dog! Thanks for reading my little .02 about modern day workplace...whoever thought up the open space workplace should be made to endure it! Tortureous! So happy not to work down on Maggie's Farm no more. Hope everyone has a great day! MichaelM

vg55
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by vg55 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:27 am

I retired April 2017, and thanks to the Boglehead approach to investing and saving, hit my number plus 10%!

Now filling my time with things I want to do.

Many thanks to all those on the forum.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 4252
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am

Check back with me in November. I have been working through my preretirement checklist and one of the items is to improve my fitness (not going to wait until I retire to get fit). Well I have done pretty well at this one and I am enjoying it immensely and thinking I would like to push it quite a bit farther. So this is beginning to create a bit of a conflict with me.
Run, You Clever Boy!

STINGRAY75
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by STINGRAY75 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

We've been working our way mentally & financially toward the goal of retirement @ 60 & 61 in 2017 / 2018. Having moved 300 miles from our families 15 years ago as a part of a job move, we knew that selling the stick n bricks would be an element of our plan so, with the housing market at a bit of a hot pace these days, we listed on Wednesday and negotiated our way thru multiple offers on Thursday. SOMETHING JUST GOT REAL!

Dear Wife will cease the daily commute on June 2nd but, I understand may come home with a laptop to do a bit of remote activity as her family owned employer settles into an environment without the go-to person. We've rented a small studio apartment which allows me to continue working till Oct 1st.

With the house sale under control and large pieces soon to be gone, we are left with clothes, photos, wine glasses and a map app as we hit the road in our 36ft 5th wheel after the Christmas Season.

Miriam2
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Duly noted everyone, added to THE LIST :D

01 Jan - MichaelM (63.5)
xx Apr - vg55
19 May - boglefannyc
07 July - bikechuck
01 Oct - STINGRAY75
15 Dec - WoodSpinner
xx Dec - dratkinson

r60rider
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by r60rider » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I could not have done this without the Boogleheads.

Just called my boss and gave notice: last day July 31.

Thanks Boogleheads!!!

chw
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by chw » Wed May 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Count me in! Have given notice for mid July. Has been a great career at Megabank, but is time to move on after 37 years. Will miss my clients (most of them), but not the constant drumbeat to find more quality clients.

Employer has asked me to consult PT for a few months to help transition to new hire, which will probably do in late August- does this still count as retired?

Looking forward very much to having the time to do what I want to do when I want to do it...

Thanks to the Wiki and the many Bogleheads who helped guide me on my recent financial journey to be able to consider this move, and act on it.

Looking forward to exploring the destinations known and unknown...

chw

lostdog
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by lostdog » Wed May 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Does semi-retirement count? :happy

I am officially done with the rate race.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

Post Reply