I love this forum

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
holley54

I love this forum

Post by holley54 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

People are so gracious with their time. I'm just a newbie and only 29 so I'm just getting interested in making sure my investments are sound. I'm learning tons and constantly checking this site to learn more. Just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped and are willing to help!

barnaclebob

Re: I love this forum

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:46 pm

When you are in the market for used car and need to decide between a subaru or mid 90's honda/toyota or when you need a $5,000 watch you know where to look...

chx

Post by chx » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:58 pm

And you are loved in return!

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 pm

holley54 wrote:People are so gracious with their time. I'm just a newbie and only 29 so I'm just getting interested in making sure my investments are sound. I'm learning tons and constantly checking this site to learn more. Just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped and are willing to help!

Just don't become addicted.

I visit this site at least 5x per day. :oops:

Cheese

Post by Cheese » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Keep coming back, asking questions and contributing. I have learned more from this forum than I could have imagined. It's the perfect place to come ask a personal question on personal topics (usually $) you don't want to bring up with family, friends or coworkers. You will receive unbiased fair advice from the amazing contributors and learn something in the process.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm

holley54 wrote:People are so gracious with their time. I'm just a newbie and only 29 so I'm just getting interested in making sure my investments are sound. I'm learning tons and constantly checking this site to learn more. Just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped and are willing to help!

Welcome! You described the Boglehead's very well! I personally owe a lot to many here, especially Mr. Larimore who holds a special place in my heart! Enjoy your journey!

Steve G.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

holley54

Post by holley54 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks folks. I may ask a lot of questions, but one day I will be on the right track. When may gets here my wife and I will officially be putting 15% of our income in retirement accounts. We will inch up from there. I have my asset allocation decided and I'm waiting on two roths to complete the transfer to vanguard. When they get there I will set everything up and watch it (hopefully!) grow with less fees than before. My goal is to have $100000 before we are 30. I only have a little over a year! Well on our way though!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:50 pm

holley54 wrote: Just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped and are willing to help!

Holley:

Bogleheads appreciate your thank you post.

I would also like to say "thank you" to the thousands of generous Bogleheads who have added to my own investing knowledge.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:07 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community (community).

ny_rn wrote:

Just don't become addicted.

I visit this site at least 5x per day. :oops:

Tell me about it. :D
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Earlier this week I was sitting in the local bank filling out forms and talking to a young clerk in the back office about how much I learned from Bogleheads and the authors recommended here. A bank manager stuck his head out of his private office and gave a two thumbs up and a shout out for Bogleheads.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Excellent!
Enjoy!

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Several months ago my 24 year old son was eligible for his first 401k. I sat next to him at his computer as he reviewed his options. I explained to him as simply as possible the different types of funds, what stocks and bonds were, expense ratios, etc, and we selected a fund.

He very lovingly turned to me and said very sweetly, "Mom, did you learn all this on Bogleheads?" :D

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:45 pm

You know it's just so refreshing when people want to learn and share, and have such nice places as Bogleheads.com to enjoy.

I tip my hat/hats to you all. You young people need to just save harder, and play even harder yet. You'll get to your zone of financial knowledge. Start savings early on, and consistency in it. Pay yourself first.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

investorguy1

Post by investorguy1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

They don't teach this stuff in the stock broker exam (series 7) or even in the CFP program. I would surmise that the vast majority of financial advisors, bankers and the like know far less than could be learned in a short while reading this forum. A lot of financial advise available to the public is by salesmen with minimal education in financial topics and tremendous biases. This forum is the best place for great financial advise from great people. So I'd add to the positive sentiment and thank all the bogleheads, moderators and others who make this community possible.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 pm

You are welcome. The ever-growing numbers of posts and members tell us that we are doing something right, but it's always nice to hear it directly.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:

You are welcome. The ever-growing numbers of posts and members tell us that we are doing something right, but it's always nice to hear it directly.

As a long-time Forum participant, I am used to it and sometimes forget to acknowledge its value. And so I am using this reminder to express the deepest thanks for running the Forum right.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi holley54,

I would like to say "thank you". That makes the forum all the more worth it! This is the best source for "investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle."

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs