New Woodlands, Texas Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Hecdias

New Woodlands, Texas Local Chapter

Post by Hecdias »

Hi,

Brand new here - been reading the forum for quite a while now but finally took the time to register!

Me and my wife just moved to The Woodlands and I am just wondering whether there is a local Bogleheads chapter here?

Thanks!
JZinCO

Re: The Woodlands, Texas Chapter?

Post by JZinCO »

I graduated from highschool there. Probably the least boglehead place there is :)
Topic Author
Hecdias

Post by Hecdias »

Ouch - I guess there is always the local YMCA... :D
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

There is an active Houston chapter...or at least it used to be active a few years back.
cast128

Post by cast128 »

I'm in Houston currently for the next couple of months and would be willing to meet up and maybe have some brews
christophertowle

Post by christophertowle »

Cypress here - I am open to helping get things moving in HTown if folks are interested.
Topic Author
Hecdias

Post by Hecdias »

JZinCO wrote:I could be wrong. With a median household income over six figures, it may not matter that it is a consumerist mecca with a proliferation of porches, audis, etc. Folks could still be making and spending obscene amounts but also meeting their savings goals.
I mean to me after saving say, 20+% of your yearly gross income and you are still willing & able to buy porches and audis - I'd say go for it... now that being said, when oil is at $26 a barrel there could be some great deals for used cars around here :twisted:

How much you earn doesn't really matter if you can't save enough of it...
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Let's cut out the off-topic comments and get this thread back on topic. I've removed a number of them.

Are you interested in starting a Woodlands TX Chapter. If so, add your name. If not, then move on and don't pre-judge people by where they live.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Count me in. I've been here in The Woodlands for a bit over a decade now. Don't know any other Bogleheads here, but I definitely know a lot of very smart, frugal, financially savvy folks.

Aside from having a chapter, let me know if there is anything I can do to help you adjust to life here.

As far as a Houston chapter, my problem is that I've grown accustomed to living and working up here and the 30 mile drive into Houston is kind of off-putting for simple social events.
jstrange1970

Post by jstrange1970 »

I'm out in Katy but would be happy to meet up with other Bogleheads anywhere in the metro area. Been here long enough to get used to the traffic :oops:
bas2466

Post by bas2466 »

jstrange1970 wrote:I'm out in Katy but would be happy to meet up with other Bogleheads anywhere in the metro area. Been here long enough to get used to the traffic :oops:
I'm downtown and would be game.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If you get five or more Bogleheads who are interested in forming the Local Chapter and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, contact me via PM with your name and an email address that you'd use for this purpose (suggest you get one just for this purpose since it will be public). I'll then add your group and contact info to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

The Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she would communicate with the members right here about meeting dates, locations, times, agendas, etc.

Good luck in getting this new Chapter off the ground. Looking forward to hearing from the new volunteer coordinator.
clayr361

Post by clayr361 »

Did anything ever happen with this? I am in The Woodlands also and would be interested in attending.
Stentem

Post by Stentem »

My wife and I would be interested in starting a chapter here in The Woodlands. Would like to start up the conversation and see how many other people would be interested. Please weigh in and let's see if we can get something started (and no, we don't drive Porsches, just Mazdas. And we like it that way!).
Jake514

Post by Jake514 »

Yes, I would be interested in joining and have looked for a chapter for some time.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Well it appears that there's more than enough interest in getting a Woodlands Local Chapter going. All we need now is for someone to step up and agree to the Local Chapter Coordinator (see my post above).

PM me if you're interested.

Best regards,

Mel
simple man

Post by simple man »

Please add me as interested also! Thanks.
Lawyerjoe

Post by Lawyerjoe »

I am in the Woodlands but we are snow birds and go to our Pennsylvania lake house in the summer. However would be interested in participating.

Joe
maverickmd74

Post by maverickmd74 »

Plese add me. Thanks.
Mel Lindauer

Re: New Woodlands, Texas Local Chapter

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, it's official. Stentem stepped up and agreed to be the Local Chapter Coordinator for the new Woodlands Texas Bogleheads Local Chapter.

I'll add your group and contact info to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you and you'll be in business.

You can use this thread and sub-forum to communicate with each other or use the new Local Chapter email address:

woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com.

Good luck to the newest Bogleheads Local Chapter!
Stentem

Post by Stentem »

Hey everybody:
I would like to get this off the ground and have our first meeting soon, maybe early December or after the new year if people are busy. Please let me know if you are interested in coming to a meeting, topics of interest, preferred meeting times, etc. I was going to look into having them in a meeting room at the local library. You can respond here or at woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com so I can get a head count and coordinate a date and time.
Looking forward to getting this going in The Woodlands!

Thanks,
Scott
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

If it works in my schedule, I'm willing to give it a try. My personal preference would be on a weekend.
umk

Post by umk »

I would be interested to attend Woodlands chapter.
texasgal47

Post by texasgal47 »

I'm far NE suburb (KIngwood) and would be interested in attending if a Houston chapter doesn't begin soon.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Greetings!
Is this chapter still active?

Thank you,

Gail Cox