MN Bogleheads Meet Sat., Feb. 6, 2016 - UPDATE

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Fallible

MN Bogleheads Meet Sat., Feb. 6, 2016 - UPDATE

Post by Fallible »

The Minnesota Bogleheads' chapter meets this Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Augsburg Park Library, 7100 Nicollet Ave S, Richfield. We hope you can join us and if you have questions, please post here. To be added to the mailing list, email us at MNbogleheads@gmail.com. All meetings are free and open to the public and new members are welcome.

Update: Below is the agenda, with a note that updated Breakouts are now in the post below from Jeff Mc.

AGENDA

WELCOME and Opening Remarks: Jeff Mc
Boglehead Investment Philosophy, Resources, Splinter Groups
9:40 TOPIC OF THE DAY: Panel Discussion on Asset Allocation
10:30 5 min BREAK: Arrange chairs for Breakout Session
10:35 BREAKOUT Sessions: 2 groups for 25 minutes each
11:25 WRAP-UP: Thanks for attending. PLEASE return tables, chairs & equipment

PANEL DISCUSSION
Topic: Case studies and philosophies about asset allocation: findng yours, tweaking yours, ensuring risk-abatement, figuring in non-traditional assets.

BREAKOUTS
As noted, these have been updated and are now in the post below by Jeff Mc.

As time allows… other topics for discussion:
Alternative investments (precious metals, real estate)
Tax strategies for asset location, Roth conversions, rebalancing, withdrawals Annuity guidelines

Upcoming Meetings for more info: mnbogleheads@gmail.com
BH Main Group: Meet 1st Sat Feb, May, Aug, Nov | Alternates among libraries |10am-noon
BH East: Meet 4x/yr. Coffee shop-casual setting | no pre-set agendas | Contact Still Phil: buckp@mac.com
BH West: Meet fall/winter. Dunn Bros, Eden Prairie | Sat 10am-noon | Contact Sandra: MNWestinvest@gmail.com
Last edited by Fallible on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Peter Foley

Re: MN Bogleheads Meet Sat., Feb. 6, 2016

Post by Peter Foley »

Retirement Account Options is a session with general and actionable information. Contribution limits for 2016 is one item of information. There will also be summary information regarding SEPs and SIMPLE IRAs.
Last edited by Peter Foley on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Anybody here going?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

NOTE: time of meeting start is 9:30, NOT 10:00.

well, i hope to see all MN bogleheads on saturday. it's always awesome to meet face-to-face. at our november meeting, we had 65 folks show up. the RSVPs are a bit down from that this time, but really, there's never been a 'bad' boglehead meeting... it's all about the people, notwithstanding if there's 30 or 70 that show up. c'mon over!

we've tweaked the breakouts slightly... here's the latest breakouts. the first portion of it will be a panel discussion around AAs. (panelists = Diann, Tom, Sandra. i'll moderate)

group mod topic 10:35- 11:00
A Barb | Stock Market Volatility '16. Are you holding, rebalancing, panicking? Behavioral Finance.
B Diann | Fund Selection:  Building a portfolio across multiple accounts (Lazy, Core 4, Coffeehouse). Optional: bring fund list from retirement plans to discuss.
C Sandra | Asset Allocation: Followup to panel discussion. Specific AA reviews and situations
D Phil B / Jeff C | Early Retirement: Planning for it, safe withdrawal rate, withdrawal strategies, Soc Sec, AA, when to pull the trigger, 'bridge' income

group mod topic 11:00 - 11:25
A jeff mc / Diann | Small Business Strategies: Reduce taxes? Offer 401k? What's it worth? General tips
B Diane B | Tax strategies: What goes where, cash flow planning, withdrawal rates, Int'l
C Barb | Interest Rates: They're going up (4 more jumps this year?). Now what?
D Tom | Retirement account options: 401k, Roths, Trad IRAs, 401a, 457, 403b, Roth. Pros/Cons of each.
jeff mc

Re: MN Bogleheads Meet Sat., Feb. 6, 2016 - UPDATE

Post by jeff mc »

to be added to this mailing list, just drop us a line at mnbogleheads@gmail.com
<to be removed from this list or change your email, please reply back>

allo:

1. we had a great (big) meeting in a very small library room. 60 bogleheads made it. the official capacity of that room is listed as 100... i'd like to see that. our quest for the perfect meeting space continues (centrally located by freeways, large capacity, free to use, carpeted, w/ projector, available on saturday mornings, well lit, private, good parking). thanks to the panelists (the SOUR - State of Our Union Report idea, and the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Saver), thanks to the table moderators and thanks to all the participants and attendees, too. see attached files for the tax strategies info from diann, the social security info from tom, and the IPS template from phil.

2. please take this quick 10 question survey about future meeting topics and logistics: https://<removed> we believe one of the reasons this group continues to flourish and grow (265 of us now) is due to the "feedback loops" we've built in. and positive word of mouth, and members sending neighbors, friends, coworkers, and family to the meetings. so, please help us continue to perfect our meeting content by taking this survey.

3. there was a dark gray shiny jacket left behind in the library. we left it at the 'lost and found' at the front desk of the library. you can claim in there.

5. next meeting is saturday, may-7 morning. location TBD. tom and phil are already working up the agenda.

6. sick of ads on webpages and at the start of youtube and news videos? then download the browser extension called "adblock plus" and be gone w/ them... https://adblockplus.org/ this isn't in any way related to bogleheads, but just thought it's an awesome tool to make your surfing so much better, faster, more focused, less annoying...

7. caveat: we believe the information in the handouts is accurate and reliable. however, we cannot / will not guarantee anything. please consult 'official sources' to confirm any and all information before acting on it. the MN Bogleheads is strictly for entertainment purposes only (i have no idea why other lawyer-ly caveats oftentimes say that last part, but it sounds good. i know i'm entertained)

cheers! please take the survey. enjoy the rest of winter. see you in may.

Minnesota Bogleheads
Visit us at http://www.Bogleheads.org