Happy Birthday Taylor!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Taylor - Happy Birthday!

I am quoting some recent posts made by the Bogleheads on "Why Bogle?" that show why we are all so grateful that you found Jack Bogle and brought his investing wisdom out for all the rest of us on the Boglehead forum :happy
VictoriaF wrote:Jack Bogle has created index funds, an act of courage against the enormous pressure from the financial industry, first, in disbelief that it would work, and then in hostility against a superior product. The American investors should be eternally grateful to Jack for enabling us to invest in index funds; and we should guard against overt and covert attacks on broad-based low-cost indexing by those who are threatened by it.

Indexing is not an ideology; it's common sense for the mathematically literate.

The composition of investments is personal. Jack shares his investment approach, and others are welcome to follow it to the extent they wish. Taylor shares his approach, and others may find a 3-fund portfolio suitable for them. Vanguard advocates all-in-one Target Retirement and Lifecycle funds, which are an excellent option for some. All of these options are good. There is no need to pursue "excellence" not merely because "excellent is an enemy of good enough," but mostly because fine-tuning and tweaking of one's portfolio opens gaping holes for behavioral mistakes and has little predicting power in an uncertain financial environment.

Victoria
Call_Me_Op wrote:Many of us stumbled upon John Bogle as we were in search of the truth. We found that he is knowledgeable, honest, and his ideas are based upon common sense and "the relentless rules of humble arithmetic." In other words, it is hard to argue with the basic tenets of Bogle's philosophy because they are true and easily understood. While we can quibble around the edges, it is hard to argue that active management in aggregate must under-perform by the amount of the costs and so therefore, for whatever asset classes you choose to own, indexing is a winning strategy.
wesgreen wrote:I've been reading about investing for over 30 years and have not come across anyone, or any strategy, that makes more sense to me (or is a better fit for my circumstances - self-employed musician, not much interest in finance or owning stuff, comparatively low income and expenses, need to self-insure for health and retirement). I would consider myself maybe a half blind follower, since I try to check out the numbers when he says something, but my math is strictly amateur.
Wish I had read about him at age 18. I'm trying to introduce fellow artists, especially young ones, to his writings and this site. He's the Louis Armstrong of investing to me. Go on with your bad self, Mr. Bogle!
Taylor, we all really appreciate so much what you brought into our investing lives! 8-)

Miriam2
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packet

Re: Happy Birthday Taylor!

Post by packet » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm

DITTO!

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor,

You are one of my heroes and I thank you for your service!

John Clark
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Here's another heartfelt post from today that belongs in the Taylor's 92nd Birthday thread!
HuckFinn wrote:Hello Taylor Larimore,

About 6 years ago you provided some suggestions to my wife in the Morningstar Bogleheads forum on portfolio construction advice. BogleBaby was my handle. I just wanted to pass along it’s taken about 6 years now but in a month or so my wife and I should actually be down to a 3 fund portfolio that is very simple, very diversified, and extremely tax efficient. We have all Rollovers, Roth’s and Taxable investments with Vanguard – they won out due to cost and simplicity. The more you start putting the plan into action and working with it the more you understand the benefits.
The two equity funds are VG Total Stock Market Index Fund and VG Total International Stock Market Index Fund. We have not decided if the Bond Fund will be Total Bond Market Index Fund or the new Core Bond market Fund that will be out sometime in the next few months – we are waiting for more information on the new offering.
One of the benefits we enjoy the most is that out of necessity we each own a large chunk of Bond fund in our Rollovers. Each of us also own some Stock index fund in the rollover as well. It’s great to direct the dividends where the asset allocation numbers tell us they should go. (Presently directing Bond dividends into Stock obviously…) But we can literally put this portfolio on cruise control.

It should be noted that in 2004 our taxable investments were spread out in about ten different fund families and we had individual 401K’s that each owned about 3 different funds. So we probably had 12 fund families and 16 different funds we owned. Fund overlap, much higher fund expenses, much less tax efficient and a lot more paperwork at tax time!

Thank You! (and we sincerely mean that)
and Taylor's reply -
Taylor Larimore wrote:HuckFinn:

It is nice to learn (especially on my 92nd birthday) that I helped put a family on the road to financial success.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
from "The Three-Fund Portfolio"

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Happy birthday Taylor. There are a lot of bright people on this forum but you are the one I most connect with. A special thank you!

tennisplyr
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Happy Birthday, Taylor!

Best,
Dave
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

smegal

Post by smegal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Dear Taylor

Happy Birthday and thank you for your contributions to Bogleheads and WWII. I always look for your posts and enjoy them.

Polymath

Post by Polymath » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Happy Birthday indeed. And thank you.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Happy Birthday!

Many thanks for your service to the country and Bogleheads. You have been extremely helpful to many.

Rod
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

mur44

Post by mur44 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday, Taylor.

Murty from NJ

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Adding my wishes for a very Happy Birthday for you Taylor. :sharebeer
Last edited by joe8d on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best, | Joe

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Happy Birthday!

Thank you for your service during WWII.
Thank you also for everything you've done for all of us former cabbage heads who are now Bogleheads.
:sharebeer
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

It's been my pleasure to know and work with this great human being since 1998. We've worked together over the years, attempting to help investors while building the Bogleheads Community into what it is today.

I just completed a thoroughly enjoyable two-week Southern Caribbean cruise with Taylor and some other dear friends. On the last day of the cruise, we celebrated his birthday a few days early aboard the ship. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Happy Birthday, my dear friend" again on this special day.

You're a real American hero, my friend. Here's hoping we get to celebrate many more birthdays together.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Wishing you a very happy birthday, Mr. L. :)

Visitor

Post by Visitor » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. Taylor!

I continue to thank you for your investing wisdom and advice you gave me over ten years ago.

You are a blessing to this forum.

May you have many more birthdays to come and enjoy helping others to help themselves. :sharebeer

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Thank you, Taylor, for all of your work. You have truly made a big difference in people's lives. Well done!

dh

Post by dh » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Happy birthday, Taylor. All of your efforts to help others is greatly appreciated! Thank you. Enjoy your special day!

2comma

Post by 2comma » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor! You've helped so many people in so many ways!
If I am stupid I will pay.

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Happy birthday Taylor!!

GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Happy birthday, Taylor. And, thanks again!
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor,
And thank you for your WW II service and your service to Bogleheads in the financial field. I still find your advice the best.
Lee/ole meph

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Happy Birthday, Taylor.
Thank you for your courage as a young man and for sharing your wisdom now.

2b2

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor and thank you!

I always enjoy the kindly way in which your reply even to the most stupid questions some of us ask!

Lynette

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Thank you for all that you have taught me.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

swguy

Post by swguy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Mr. Larimore!

You continue to be an inspiration and a blessing to me. I hope your birthday is as special as you are!

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor. I always look forward to reading your words of wisdom. :beer

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Happy Birthday to you Mr. Larimore! I so enjoy your wise, encouraging posts and your carefully compiled collections of quotes! :happy

Namashkar

Post by Namashkar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Happy Birthday Sir Larimore and wishing you many returns of the day. No words can describe your wisdom and contributions to many investors and your WWII service to this nation. Thank you Sir.

Namashkar

Norris

Post by Norris » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Happy Birthday, Taylor and God Bless you!

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor and many best wishes.

Ned
A fool and his money are good for business.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:22 pm

I'll keep it simple: Happy Birthday Taylor!

Fallible
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Happy Birthday, Taylor!

I've always thought that one of the best things that can be said of anyone: "He taught us to fish."

And Taylor, you've taught investors everywhere "how to fish." (And I'll add, while avoiding the sharks of Wall Street.)

Further, you've trained an army of Bogleheads to carry on the fight for sane, long-term, low-cost investing. You will always have my gratitude.

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 pm

smegal wrote:Dear Taylor

Happy Birthday and thank you for your contributions to Bogleheads and WWII. I always look for your posts and enjoy them.
WWII ! Wow, that is truly impressive and this ole veteran hasn't slowed down a bit ! My brother and sister are(were) both WWII veterans too . Thank You for keeping us free, sir .
SeeMoe.. :beer
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Your patient lessons in navigating the financial seas along with reinforcing a steady hand on the tiller have benefited countless voyagers. :)
Semper Augustus

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor!

About 15 or so years ago, I sent you an article I read online about someone in Miami who was 100 years of age and attributed their longevity to their doctor. I jokingly suggested that you look into seeing that doc. Did you take it seriously? :happy

Wishing you a great journey to the century mark and beyond. You're the greatest. :sharebeer
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

More Please

Post by More Please » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Happy Birthday Taylor! It was an honor to meet you at a Boglehead conference. You are an elegant gentleman.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Happy B-day! Thank you for your contributions to this country. :sharebeer
Lincoln 3 EOW! AA 40/60.

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Many more happy returns of the day, Taylor!

Your unceasing emphasis on how simplicity wins has made such a difference to so many.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:57 pm

A patriot, soldier , scholar and gentleman ! Thank you from a young pup in his early fifties for keeping us free ! Enjoy !

Happy natal day ,

Jeff

olidc

Post by olidc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Dear Taylor,

I can think of no better occasion than this to finally make my first post! I have been lurking here for around a year, learning so much, and setting up my stuff for long term benefit.

Thank you so much for everything you've done, and for sharing with us all. It's very generous and very helpful to many people.

With my very best wishes and kind regards,

Olidc

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 am

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:10 am

Happy Birthday! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:31 am

Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one.

rcsracing

Post by rcsracing » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:29 am

Happy belated birthday, Taylor!

While I'm not a frequent poster, your specific advice to me a few years ago (same as the advise that you always give) of striving for a low cost, simple portfolio while resisting the urge to tinker has changed my financial future.

Thank you very much for all of your advice and for your service.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:21 am

I found the "new" Morningstar Diehard forum in 1998, just as I was to retire. You, especially, helped make my retirement funding successful. Thank you, Taylor, and God bless you. Happy Birthday!!
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:39 am

Happy Birthday Taylor! There is no better person here to give us so many gems, because you my friend are the best one we have!

:beer
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Zosi

Post by Zosi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 am

Happy Birthday Taylor, trust you have had a nice day with friends and family.

Cheers! :beer

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:51 am

Happy Birthday, sir! :sharebeer
"Economics is a method rather than a doctrine, an apparatus of the mind, a technique of thinking, which helps its possessor to draw correct conclusions." - John Maynard Keynes

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 am

I feel like I'm a day late. Either way, I'd like to wish you a happy 92 Birthday. Here is to going strong through age 100. You have many good posts on bogleheads to come. :sharebeer
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:22 am

Happy Birthday Taylor!
Don't Work Forever.