Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
grok87

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by grok87 »

i just posted on reverse mortgages- so maybe HECM (Home equity conversion Mortgage) which is the federally insured type of reverse mortgage
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hecm.asp
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Brofessor

Post by Brofessor »

Hello. Would anyone be willing to update the wiki article section "Approximating total international for TSP I for investors with access to a MSCI EAFE fund?" Or is the wiki article still accurate?

I utilize my employer's 401k which offers a Fidelity fund named Spartan Developed International Index Pool Class E. I utilize this Fidelity fund instead of the wiki articles suggestion of VDVIX. I believe these are both developed market index funds for international.

I can see why the article has not been updated since 2016 because at the bottom of the article there is a lot of explanation and nuance when it comes to approximating total international.

Thanks. Good luck. It is beyond my abilities.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

I looked at the page. It's not clear to me how to update this page, either. Instead, I took a stab at answering your 401(k) question here: Re: Wiki Article help: Approximating Total International
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

In the Bond basics article, there's a broken link to a non-existent ID on the page. The sentence after the first paragraph is "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." and "tutorial" links to "https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bond_basics#Tutorial".

Looking back at the article history, the "Tutorial" section was really just some links to various investopedia.com pages. Maybe one of those pages was an actual tutorial at the time? Hard to say.

Anyway I propose we remove the sentence "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." I don't think it needs a replacement. Thoughts?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm In the Bond basics article, there's a broken link to a non-existent ID on the page. The sentence after the first paragraph is "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." and "tutorial" links to "https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bond_basics#Tutorial".

Looking back at the article history, the "Tutorial" section was really just some links to various investopedia.com pages. Maybe one of those pages was an actual tutorial at the time? Hard to say.

Anyway I propose we remove the sentence "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." I don't think it needs a replacement. Thoughts?
I changed "tutorial" to a direct link to the basics of bonds article.
yoran

Post by yoran »

Hi,

I'm the creator of Backtest, the backtesting tool for European index investors. I built it to scratch my own itch at first. Other backtesting tools like Portfolio Visualizer or Portfolio Charts target US investors so couldn't backtest my portfolio, as the funds and ETFs available in Europe aren't always the same. Over time, as a result of user requests, I've added more and more funds and indexes. It now has about 220 indexes, representing about 680 funds. And this number is growing! I focus only on index funds and ETFs that are available to European investors.

As such, I would like to suggest Backtest to be added to the Tools and calculators page of the wiki. I think it'll be an addition for European Bogleheads visiting that page.

Thank you for considering,

Yoran
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There is a request for a new wiki page here: [Wiki - Why isn't automatic investing a Bogleheads tenet?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

yoran wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Hi,

I'm the creator of Backtest, the backtesting tool for European index investors. I built it to scratch my own itch at first. Other backtesting tools like Portfolio Visualizer or Portfolio Charts target US investors so couldn't backtest my portfolio, as the funds and ETFs available in Europe aren't always the same. Over time, as a result of user requests, I've added more and more funds and indexes. It now has about 220 indexes, representing about 680 funds. And this number is growing! I focus only on index funds and ETFs that are available to European investors.

As such, I would like to suggest Backtest to be added to the Tools and calculators page of the wiki. I think it'll be an addition for European Bogleheads visiting that page.

Yoran
Done! Let me know if there any improvements you'd like to see.
yoran

Post by yoran »

sycamore wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm
yoran wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Hi,

Yoran
Done! Let me know if there any improvements you'd like to see.
Thanks a lot! The description is good to me.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

1. On https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Highly_ ... d_employee its says a HCE is $139k but the reference given (IRS) says $130k. $139k is the Roth phase out.
2. How about we change https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k) to be "Mega Backdoor Roth" as the title? Mega Backdoor is a special case of after-tax and I think after-tax can also apply to other things such as variable deferred annuities (which go in after-tax for non-qualified). We could have a page just for after-tax which compares it against taxable investing as one example as to after-tax being a separate thing from mega backdoor.
3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 1. On https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Highly_ ... d_employee its says a HCE is $139k but the reference given (IRS) says $130k. $139k is the Roth phase out.
Fixed.
Wiki David Grabiner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
You're referring to: Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration

Do you have any sources for your statement? Duration is a sensitivity of interest rate risk to price. I don't understand how this relates to bond returns and will defer to the experts.

I understand that long term bonds have a lot of volatility until they reach their maturity date, but I'm not comfortable updating this section of the wiki page.

Background: Understanding bond duration - Education | BlackRock
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 2. How about we change https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k) to be "Mega Backdoor Roth" as the title? Mega Backdoor is a special case of after-tax and I think after-tax can also apply to other things such as variable deferred annuities (which go in after-tax for non-qualified). We could have a page just for after-tax which compares it against taxable investing as one example as to after-tax being a separate thing from mega backdoor.
Thanks! Your suggestion is now in this thread: Wiki - "Mega backdoor Roth" vs. After-tax 401(k)

If you have any comments, please post in that thread.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm
dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
You're referring to: Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration

Do you have any sources for your statement? Duration is a sensitivity of interest rate risk to price. I don't understand how this relates to bond returns and will defer to the experts.

I understand that long term bonds have a lot of volatility until they reach their maturity date, but I'm not comfortable updating this section of the wiki page.

Background: Understanding bond duration - Education | BlackRock
Okay, the the first method is a declining duration and the latter is a fixed duration, its not explicitly stated but the implication is that the first method has a shorter duration than the fixed or at least a shorter one at some point. Next assertion is that longer duration has more risk and that risk is compensated with a greater return, but at the cost of more volatility.

The current verbiage in the section makes the declining duration sound better than the constant duration. I think adding the greater return possibility makes the trade between them more clear.

Someone else may want to comment on what I've said.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I wonder if it would be useful to have a "Most Viewed this week/month/quarter" list of Wiki articles or other statistics of the Wiki use.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but a "Most viewed" Wiki statistics would require a lot of work to implement and it is not practical to do so.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Would suggest adding a section to the wiki on ESPP and RSU plans. AFAICT there are not sections on these, but they come up a lot on the forum (particularly for those in tech). As these can become significant portions of employees' compensation, it would be helpful to explain how these work (ESPP in particular can be pretty complicated to understand), what the taxes look like, and how one should evaluate them when comparing job offers (or the case of ESPP deciding whether to participate).
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
DJN

Post by DJN »

tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm Would suggest adding a section to the wiki on ESPP and RSU plans. AFAICT there are not sections on these, but they come up a lot on the forum (particularly for those in tech). As these can become significant portions of employees' compensation, it would be helpful to explain how these work (ESPP in particular can be pretty complicated to understand), what the taxes look like, and how one should evaluate them when comparing job offers (or the case of ESPP deciding whether to participate).
Maybe a section on TLAs and acronyms generally?
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

DJN wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:00 am Maybe a section on TLAs and acronyms generally?
Perhaps Abbreviations and Acronyms?
DJN

Post by DJN »

AFAICT
Golly gosh!
As far as I could tell I couldn't locate it in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

AFAICT - I had to look that one up as well. It's English slang for "As Far As I Can Tell". In context,
tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm AFAICT there are not sections on these, but they come up a lot on the forum (particularly for those in tech).
Translates to:
tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm As far as I can tell, there are not sections on these, but they come up a lot on the forum (particularly for those in tech).
Both ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and RSU (Restricted Stock Unit) are in the wiki: Abbreviations and Acronyms
DJN

Post by DJN »

Hi,
IRNY was the essence of my post, I would suggest that TLA's and acronyms generally should be included in the Etiquette section as being close to capitals as being a bit rude or at best presumptuous?
DJN
cybertrail

OBE wiki data

Post by cybertrail »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Not sure proper way to make comments to the wiki but I think the following text on the Fidelity page is outdated right?
The transaction fees to buy Vanguard mutual funds at Fidelity are quite high --$75 for the first purchase, but subsequent purchases can be $5 per purchase if you set up an automatic investment plan. Admiral Class shares are not available for purchase at Fidelity. Vanguard has ETF equivalents for most of its index funds. Like other stocks and ETFs, Vanguard ETFs can be bought and sold at Fidelity commission free. If you want to use actual Vanguard products, using Vanguard ETFs is probably the cheapest way to do so at Fidelity.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged your post into the wiki suggestion thread. I saw in another post that you may be interested in editing the wiki.

If so, please PM me and you can make this change yourself.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

PM received. Thanks! I have given you wiki access. Please check your Private Messages for the login details.

You can now make the suggested change on your own.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

invest4 has a suggestion which I've moved into the relevant thread: Re: Suggestion for updating "Asking Portfolio Questions" thread
water2357

Suggestions for the Wiki - Social Security Office of the Chief Actuary Information

Post by water2357 »

[Merged into ongoing topic - mod oldcomputerguy]

There recently have been a few discussions on Social Security questions. If the following source of information is not already listed on the Wiki topic of SS, it may be helpful to some, it is the Office of the Chief Actuary for Social Security.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/

Stephen Goss has been Chief Actuary since 2001 and been with SSA for quite a few years prior. I believe he may have worked or crossed paths with Robert Myers who created much of the SS structure. Mr Goss has presented topics at a number of actuarial conferences that were extremely informative and useful. This web site provides definitive answers on social security calculations and the underlying data/formulas, it seems more so than what I've found elsewhere on the ssa.gov website.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I have added your link to the wiki. It appears in the "Resources from the SSA" box at the top of the article.

I also revised that box, as there were a number of broken links to fix. See: Social Security
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/529_pla ... _transfers
still lifts gift amount as 14k rather than 15k and 5 year amount as 70k instead of 75k and 150k for joint.
zuma

Post by zuma »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I added SORR to the acronym list. See: Abbreviations and Acronyms (S)
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

I'm not sure how to pass on dead links in the "Roth IRA conversion" Wiki page...

1) Reference #2 - Medicare Part B Premiums: Rules For Beneficiaries With Higher Incomes (Source is SSA)
A possible replacement link might be: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/m ... miums.html

2) Reference #3 - Roth IRA conversion: 4 things you may not know (Source is Vanguard)
A possible alternative might be: https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/roth-conversion

3) External link # 6 - Bruno, Maria A., and Shin, Alisa M., Estate planning opportunities with Roth IRA conversions (Source is Vanguard)
No alternatives found.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

wanderer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:34 pm External link # 6 - Bruno, Maria A., and Shin, Alisa M., Estate planning opportunities with Roth IRA conversions (Source is Vanguard)
No alternatives found.
It's archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20131228074 ... f/s623.pdf
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

wanderer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:34 pm 1) Reference #2 - Medicare Part B Premiums: Rules For Beneficiaries With Higher Incomes (Source is SSA)
A possible replacement link might be: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/m ... miums.html
Duckie wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:06 pm
wanderer wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:34 pm External link # 6 - Bruno, Maria A., and Shin, Alisa M., Estate planning opportunities with Roth IRA conversions (Source is Vanguard)
No alternatives found.
It's archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20131228074 ... f/s623.pdf
Fixed both of these. Thanks wanderer and Duckie.

Just removed the "Reference #3" link as its utility wasn't clear - no problem if someone sees utility and wants to insert wanderer's suggested replacement or another.
BogleMelon

Reporting bad URL in a Wiki page

Post by BogleMelon »

I apologize if this is the wrong way to do it, but I don't know how else to report a broken link in the wiki.
If you go to "Approximating total stock market" Wiki page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market
Then scroll all the way down to "References", the link for Morning Fact sheet is "http://news.morningstar.com/pdfs/FactSh ... nal.pdf%7C" [ends with characters %7C] is invalid link, the correct URL should ends with ".pdf" and the "%7C" should be removed.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Silk McCue

Re: Reporting bad URL in a Wiki page

Post by Silk McCue »

I “reported” your post asking that it be shared with an appropriate Wiki editor to address.

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks! "Report" received.

BogleMelon - I merged your thread into the appropriate place to report wiki errors. This thread is a sticky at the top of the US Chapters forum (community).

However, we'll fix the wiki regardless of where it's posted. :)

I fixed the broken link. Thanks! See: Approximating total stock market
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:09 pm ^^^ Thanks! "Report" received.

BogleMelon - I merged your thread into the appropriate place to report wiki errors. This thread is a sticky at the top of the US Chapters forum (community).

However, we'll fix the wiki regardless of where it's posted. :)

I fixed the broken link. Thanks! See: Approximating total stock market
Much appreciated :happy thank you LadyGeek!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
mbt863

Error in Wiki on Non-Spousal Beneficiaries of Roth IRA?

Post by mbt863 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The wiki (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Inheriting_a_Roth_IRA) notes in part the following which I've copied below but isn't a non-spousal beneficiary under a 10 year draw down following the owners death per the SECURE Act? Thanks.

Non-spousal beneficiaries
Whereas a Roth IRA account owner is, under current regulations, not required to take distributions from a Roth IRA, a non-spousal beneficiary of a Roth IRA is required to make distributions from the account. There are two options for deferred distribution (a beneficiary can always take a lump sum distribution or withdraw more than the required minimum distribution, although doing so eliminates the tax-free compounding of investment returns):

Rule 1: The Five Year Rule- Receive the entire distribution by December 31 of the fifth year following the year of the owner's death.
Rule 2: Lifetime Withdrawals- Receive the entire distribution over your life, or over a period not extending beyond your life.[6] These distributions are required minimum distributions (RMD) taken from the IRS Single Life Expectancy (Table 1). [7] The table provides a divisor factor, based on the beneficiary's age. The beneficiary divides this factor into the year end value of the Roth IRA to determine the required minimum distribution. The divisor factor is reduced by 1 for each succeeding year. It is important to note that for non-spousal beneficiaries the IRS life expectancy table is not referred to again for annual RMD calculations. All subsequent RMDs are based on the initial life expectancy of the beneficiary with a reduction in the divisor factor by 1 for each succeeding year, as opposed to an annual recalculation of life expectancy based on IRS tables.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mbt863 - I merged your thread into the wiki suggestion thread, which will attract the attention of the wiki editors.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
mbt863

Post by mbt863 »

thanks LadyGeek!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. Another editor has updated the page. See: Inheriting a Roth IRA

How's it look?

(You can see the editing activity by clicking on the View history tab. Barry Barnitz made the update.)
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Suggest adding "WBS" to https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms.
It stands for World Bond Stock fund.

Source is https://retirementincomeanalysis.blogsp ... stock.html.
It's commonly used in the Bill Sharpe's preferred portfolio thread.

Another acronym from that thread is "RISMAT" which stands for "Retirement Income Analysis with scenario matrices".
https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/RISMAT/RISMAT-0.pdf
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I have added WBS and RISMAT to the wiki. The references helped. See: Abbreviations and Acronyms

If anything needs an update or correction, post here.
BFT2003

Post by BFT2003 »

Hello,

I'd like to suggest an update to the 457b wiki section 8.1 external links.

The link for the Minnesota 457 Plan has changed to:

https://www.msrs.state.mn.us/about-mndcp

The Minnesota link currently on the wiki is no longer valid.

Thank You!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Thank you, I have corrected the link. See: 457(b) (457 plans)
Moneybaron

Post by Moneybaron »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguar ... d_cap_ETFs

Link in header of Mid Cap Growth and Mid Cap Value are the same.
- vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0935&FundIntExt=INT

- Vanguard Mid Cap Value ETF
- vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0935&FundIntExt=INT

- Vanguard Mid Cap Growth ETF
- - vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0935&FundIntExt=INT
=> vanguard.com/etf/profile/VOT
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! It's fixed: Vanguard US stock ETFs

The wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia. Click on the page's View history tab to see the revision history (page edits) and the username of the editor who edited the page. In this case, Barry Barnitz edited the page.
Moneybaron

Post by Moneybaron »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Dividend

*If you sell shares on or after the ex-dividend date, you will receive the dividend. If you sell shares before the ex-dividend date, you not receive the dividend.

*If you sell shares on or after the ex-dividend date, you will receive the dividend. If you sell shares before the ex-dividend date, you will not receive the dividend.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! It's fixed: Dividend