Where is YDNAL?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Where is YDNAL?

Post by abuss368 »

I used to enjoy the posts and the last one is from May 2015.

Do any Bogleheads know what happened to the poster?

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Where is YDNAL?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Boglehead).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

No one else remembers this poster?
Last edited by abuss368 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Yes we do.

Yes we do remember our shipmate ydnal, here is the last post, where he said . . . I don't visit the Forum often . . .

Wishing everyone a productive 2016.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Munir

Post by Munir »

abuss368 wrote:No matter new else remembers this poster?
If you mean "who" else remembers this poster, I do. I also remember chaz. Both are prodigal sons :happy who hopefully may return some day.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

I remember that poster well -- username is YDNAL, but YDNAL always signed posts "Landy" (reversal of letters, obviously). When I posted for portfolio help years ago, Landy helped me a great deal. I don't post much now that I have everything set up and humming along pretty much on autopilot (tax loss harvesting aside), but I do very much hope that Landy is well and posts again soon.

NightOwl
"Volatility provokes the constant dread that some investors know more than we do, making us fearful of ignoring such powerful price movements." | Peter Bernstein, "The 60/40 Solution."
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Landy used to post fairly frequently and I enjoyed his posts. Also missed is sscritic.

I mention those two because I greatly appreciate those who post with a touch of kindness* - I think it goes a long way with individuals who are new to the forum or new to investing in general. We were all there at some point in our lives. Our lack of experience was less evident 20 years ago because it was not available for all to see.

*There are a lot of active posters who I could include here as well - but that would take the thread on a different track.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Munir wrote:
abuss368 wrote:No matter new else remembers this poster?
If you mean "who" else remembers this poster, I do. I also remember chaz. Both are prodigal sons :happy who hopefully may return some day.
Darn spell check!
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Anyone else miss Landy (aka YDNAL)?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I probably do too.
As do I miss chaz, sscritic, and munchkin man.
But people get older, move on to new things, and pass away. :(
Perhaps we should assign compadres to frequent posters to keep track of their real life circumstances.
When they put me in charge, I'll add a focus on this.
Until then...
Attempted new signature...
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Perhaps we should encourage those with over 10,000 posts to let us know if they are going to be away for a while (and add notification of their online friends and followers as a part of an estate plan).
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

abuss368 wrote:Anyone else miss Landy (aka YDNAL)?
I have found his posts useful, so in a way I do miss (out). You could try to PM YDNAL; the default setting for notifications seems to be that an email notification is sent when a PM is received.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I did a google search for "YDNAL LANDY" and go lots of hits. Didn't follow up on any of them but some looked like possibilities: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, MySpace.

Maybe some budding detective can run with all that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mouses

Post by mouses »

Dulocracy wrote:(and add notification of their online friends and followers as a part of an estate plan).
No kidding. I have a list of people to notify when I croak - college roommate that I stay in touch with, etc., but that I'm sure my family would not think of. One thing I noticed after my Mom passed away was that for something like a year afterwards people who did not know she had passed away were trying to get in touch with her.
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

If this is YDNAL, he is alive and well as of January 14, 2016.

http://davidlandy.net/blog/
Levett

Post by Levett »

My recollection is that Landy lived in Florida.

He was a helpful level-headed poster.

I, too, miss sscritic. I can't think of many posters who provided more accurate information than him.

He was an enormous help to me, and I would guess (from posts in the past) that he was an enormous help to many others.

I hope both gentlemen understand how much their service is appreciated.

Lev
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

YDNAL last logged in on Jan 12, 2016. His location is listed.

(You must be logged in to follow the link.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote:YDNAL last logged in on Jan 12, 2016. His location is listed.

As site admin. maybe you get to see more info than the rest of us.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

bertilak wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:YDNAL last logged in on Jan 12, 2016. His location is listed.

As site admin. maybe you get to see more info than the rest of us.
FWIW, I am not site admin, but I can see a location as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Location is visible to everyone and is displayed underneath your avatar when you post. Here's YDNAL's latest post: Re: Where are the dividends with Funds??. Note "Location: Biscayne Bay".

Interests, Occupation, and Location are entered by the member in the User Control Panel Profile tab. Nothing is shown if you leave those fields blank.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Its a good blog,

Thanks!
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

For those wondering about sscritic, he has been in regular contact with me by email and has given me permission to share the following. He is alive and well, and although he has been banned from the forum, he continues to read the Bogleheads forum posts and has given me very useful information via email that has informed a number of my posts. I believe there are others on this forum whom he has also been advising by similar back channels.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote:Location is visible to everyone and is displayed underneath your avatar when you post. Here's YDNAL's latest post: Re: Where are the dividends with Funds??. Note "Location: Biscayne Bay".

Interests, Occupation, and Location are entered by the member in the User Control Panel Profile tab. Nothing is shown if you leave those fields blank.
Yes, I can see location but I cannot see "last logged in on Jan 12, 2016."

Following your link above (User Control Panel) takes me to MY profile where I can see MY last active date but I can find no way to see that info for other members. Simply switching the "u=28806" in the URL for my profile to match YDNAL's (u=1626) does not work.

UPDATE: Last active date IS shown for some users. For example: But not for others: just to take the last few in this thread. At least that is true for MY login.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bertilak wrote: Following your link above (User Control Panel) takes me to MY profile where I can see MY last active date but I can find no way to see that info for other members. Simply switching the "u=28806" in the URL for my profile to match YDNAL's (u=1626) does not work.
I think this setting in your board preferences controls this (for your account):

Hide my online status:
Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TravelGeek wrote:
bertilak wrote: Following your link above (User Control Panel) takes me to MY profile where I can see MY last active date but I can find no way to see that info for other members. Simply switching the "u=28806" in the URL for my profile to match YDNAL's (u=1626) does not work.
I think this setting in your board preferences controls this (for your account):

Hide my online status:
Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board.
AHA! We live and we learn.
mouses

Post by mouses »

dodecahedron wrote:For those wondering about sscritic, he has been in regular contact with me by email and has given me permission to share the following. He is alive and well, and although he has been banned from the forum, he continues to read the Bogleheads forum posts and has given me very useful information via email that has informed a number of my posts. I believe there are others on this forum whom he has also been advising by similar back channels.
Banned from the forum? Of all people.

That makes me feel better. I too have been banned. Now that I admit that, I suppose my new identity will be banned as well.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

YDNAL's blog looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I must have missed the drama... How do prolific posters like sscritic get banned? Can't believe they wake up one day and decide to troll the forum. Too much political/policy debate?
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

saltycaper wrote:YDNAL's blog looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I must have missed the drama... How do prolific posters like sscritic get banned? Can't believe they wake up one day and decide to troll the forum. Too much political/policy debate?
LG will have to answer that.
Having met the guy (sscritic) in person, I have my doubts on what happened.
Nonetheless, I believe the policy here is to SUSPEND offending posters once or twice for a week or three to make the intent of policy clear to them.
Banning happens only if suspension isn't taken seriously.

And I'm talking about posters with a decent track record, not spammers from day one...
Last edited by The Wizard on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

^Makes sense. Thanks.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

mouses wrote:I too have been banned. Now that I admit that, I suppose my new identity will be banned as well.
While the cat's away, the mice (mouses) play?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Why in the world would Bogleheads have banned sscritic?

If one of the purposes of punishment is deterrence, it does not serve its purpose if others are not informed of the reason.

He was one of my favorite posters and reminded me of my old criminal law professor (recently deceased) who employed the Socratic method.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Pacific wrote:Why in the world would Bogleheads have banned sscritic?

If one of the purposes of punishment is deterrence, it does not serve its purpose if others are not informed of the reason.

He was one of my favorite posters and reminded me of my old criminal law professor (recently deceased) who employed the Socratic method.
Correcto-mundo.
Hence my doubts on what happened.

Sorry that we've diverted this thread from its original prolific poster concern, Landy, from South Florida...
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Not to divert further, but if this is true then all the ban did was weaken the collective knowledge on this board. No one knows social security better then him/her.

Since we are going to memory lane I miss "Bobsnotmyname" or something like that. He had his own site as well. I think the may have passed on as his site came down suddenly and stopped on here at the same time.

Also miss YDNAL as well. Good, knowledgeable poster.

Wish there was a way to get these posters back to doing what they were great and poster on this board!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

dodecahedron wrote:For those wondering about sscritic, he has been in regular contact with me by email and has given me permission to share the following. He is alive and well, and although he has been banned from the forum, he continues to read the Bogleheads forum posts and has given me very useful information via email that has informed a number of my posts. I believe there are others on this forum whom he has also been advising by similar back channels.
Is the contact really by e-mail? or BH PM? I , like many others, have some trouble believing the ban story. I see many hints about mysterious whisperings in other folks' ears and I can imagine it is ssc but apparently the PM tracks are not visible by the BH forum since the last active date doesn't seem to change.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

kaneohe wrote:
Is the contact really by e-mail? or BH PM? I , like many others, have some trouble believing the ban story. I see many hints about mysterious whisperings in other folks' ears and I can imagine it is ssc but apparently the PM tracks are not visible by the BH forum since the last active date doesn't seem to change.
Our correspondence since late August has not been by PM. It is by email (i.e., yahoo.com email).
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

This forum was started to keep a specific individual out.

Maybe someone should start a new forum to allow a specific person in.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

I miss YDNAL and sscritic as well. I realize rules need to be followed, but would it be possible to reinstate sscritic on parole/probation at some point?
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

staythecourse wrote:Since we are going to memory lane I miss "Bobsnotmyname" or something like that. He had his own site as well. I think the may have passed on as his site came down suddenly and stopped on here at the same time.
I thought I saw read something written by "Bob's not my name" just a few weeks ago.

Seems like we need a single, ongoing "Have you seen this poster?" thread. Or, if that's not permissible, a new blog: "Once, They Were Bogleheads."
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

The Wizard wrote:I probably do too.
As do I miss chaz, sscritic, and munchkin man.
Ahh, munchkin man posts were too fun to read. :(

And if sscritic really was banned... geez. Hopefully criticism does not disqualify someone from posting (if that is true).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

During the time when sscritic wasn't posting but was still available via PM, he and I exchanged some messages. His posts didn't always show what a mensch he is, but his PMs were infused with menschlichkeit.

I also miss YDNAL.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I have enjoyed and learned lots from posts by many of the posters being mentioned here.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To those wondering about sscritic, all communication between a member and the moderators (and Advisory Board) are held in strict confidence. Process was followed. Please don't post about this situation any further.

If anyone has questions, PM me.
Angst

Post by Angst »

saltycaper wrote:
staythecourse wrote:Since we are going to memory lane I miss "Bobsnotmyname" or something like that. He had his own site as well. I think the may have passed on as his site came down suddenly and stopped on here at the same time.
I thought I saw read something written by "Bob's not my name" just a few weeks ago."
It looks like "Bob", or whoever he really is, is alive and well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182542&p=2768784#p2768784
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Where are Professor Emeritus and Dolphinsaremammals?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GoldenFinch wrote:Where are Professor Emeritus and Dolphinsaremammals?
Last I remember, some time ago, Professor Emeritus had mentioned that he was (or was about to become) a caretaker for his wife, who was recently totally disabled.

Very sad.

And very sobering.
That situation caused us to take another look at our planning.

I miss his contributions.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

ResearchMed wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:Where are Professor Emeritus and Dolphinsaremammals?
Last I remember, some time ago, Professor Emeritus had mentioned that he was (or was about to become) a caretaker for his wife, who was recently totally disabled.

Very sad.

And very sobering.
That situation caused us to take another look at our planning.

I miss his contributions.

RM
Thank you ResearchMed. I enjoyed what he had to say too.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

UncleBen wrote:If this is YDNAL, he is alive and well as of January 14, 2016.

I like his blog.

It is great to know Landy is well.

My fear is that a Boglehead is lying dead for weeks or even worse suffering in his/her apartment after the last time they posted. Bogleheads is a great community. However the anonymity of the Internet forum is disorienting.

Talking about anonymity: The New Yorker cartoon with the one dog posting on the internet, while the other one is watching with the caption: "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog" is priceless.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Wildebeest wrote:Talking about anonymity: The New Yorker cartoon with the one dog posting on the internet, while the other one is watching with the caption: "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog" is priceless.
We DO have a Sheepdog posting on the forum internet :happy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Wildebeest wrote:
UncleBen wrote:If this is YDNAL, he is alive and well as of January 14, 2016.

I like his blog.

It is great to know Landy is well.

My fear is that a Boglehead is lying dead for weeks or even worse suffering in his/her apartment after the last time they posted. Bogleheads is a great community. However the anonymity of the Internet forum is disorienting.

Talking about anonymity: The New Yorker cartoon with the one dog posting on the internet, while the other one is watching with the caption: "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog" is priceless.
Have you noticed Sheepdog's "photo" ?
PRICELESS :happy

Edit: Miriam2 beat me to it!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

staythecourse wrote:
Not to divert further, but if this is true then all the ban did was weaken the collective knowledge on this board. No one knows social security better then him/her.

Since we are going to memory lane I miss "Bobsnotmyname" or something like that. He had his own site as well. I think the may have passed on as his site came down suddenly and stopped on here at the same time.

Also miss YDNAL as well. Good, knowledgeable poster.

Wish there was a way to get these posters back to doing what they were great and poster on this board!

Good luck.
Much thanks for the correction and glad to see he is doing well.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle