My Christmas Gift to You

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

My Christmas Gift to You

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Bogleheads:

71 years ago, the U.S. military was engaged in the Battle of the Bulge where more than 60,000 American soldiers were killed, wounded or captured.

I was a scared, cold, hungry, 20-year old paratrooper in Bastogne, Belgium, surrounded by Germans trying to kill us.

The Germans demanded our surrender. Our commander, General McAuliffe, replied, "NUTS." His message to his troops is now a Freedom Shrine document known as McAuliffe's Christmas Message

It is my Christmas gift to you.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: My Christmas Gift to You

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:49 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).

Merry Christmas, Taylor.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Taylor:

Let me be the first to thank you for your service and contributing to my freedom as a US citizen. I also thank you for helping me toward financial freedom. Happy Holidays and all the best in 2016.

GNY
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

jteigen

Post by jteigen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Taylor, thank you for your service to this great country, and for the years of great advice! Merry Christmas!

mchop

Post by mchop » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:33 pm

SO MIUCH RESPECT!

Thank you sharing and making me pause to be grateful for everything

Wishing you a Merry Christmas

bkslainte

Post by bkslainte » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Taylor,
Thank you very much, always look forward to this Christmas message!!

Thanks,
Brian

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Thank you for your service to Bogleheads and all other Americans Taylor.

Merry Christmas.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Thank you Taylor for giving us your time and knowledge from your hard fought experiences in investing from your past. I personally took your advice by tweeking the 3 fund portfolio towards my needs and adding some of John Bogle`s suggestions from his interviews on UTUBE, his writings on marketwatch.com and books especially Common Sense On Mutual Funds and The Little Book Of Common Sense Investing. Have a joyful holiday.

Gardener246

Post by Gardener246 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank you, Taylor, for all you have done for so many! Merry Christmas.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Yep, all the best sir.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Thank you for your service, Taylor. This Marine salutes his very good paratrooper friend, co-author, wingman, and "partner-in-crime". My life is better in so many ways from knowing and working with you.

Merry Christmas and a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you and yours. See you next month.

Best regards,

Mel

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks Taylor,

For the message, your service and your willingness to share your knowledge and wisdom.

This fall I had the amazing opportunity to pay a visit to Bastogne with my son and brothers.
The heroism and sacrifice of the 101st Airborne is still honored and remembered with great respect in Belgium and France.

The exact location where Gen. McAuliffe wrote his famous reply and Christmas message to the soldiers out in the snow and cold is now a living museum.

My son picked up chestnuts from underneath the trees surrounding Bastogne Barracks as a reminder of the famous reply "Nuts".

Some photos of that museum at http://cheeseweb.eu/2014/06/visiting-ba ... a-belgium/

Merry Christmas to you and all the Bogleheads Diehards.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Rager1

Post by Rager1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Taylor,

Thanks for your Christmas gift to us. It's our pleasure knowing you and we wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Ed and Patti

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for your service, your wise advice and for creating this wonderful forum.
Merry Christmas!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor and all Bogleheads!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

tsohg

Post by tsohg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Taylor,
Thank you for your service in wartime and also to the community on this forum. It's greatly appreciated.

Since we're linking speeches:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S. ... The_speech

Merry Christmas! :D

atlantaguy123

Post by atlantaguy123 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Thank you for your service! So many of us live in blissful ignorance of the sacrifices made by our men and women in uniform. Thank you so much.

Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Taylor --
As I get old and prosperous, it's hard to think of a present I want that I haven't already bought for myself. Your Christmas gift is something I could never afford. Thank you. I've really enjoyed the freedom.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Merry Christmas Mr. Larimore! :happy

warowits

Post by warowits » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Taylor,

Thanks for what you did, and what you still do!
There are an army of people whose pay checks depend on convincing people to invest in ways that are against their self interest. This forum is the volunteer army that fights back!

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Taylor,

It's a small world. On December 27, 1944 when you were in Bastogne, Elke was born in a German safe-house near Munich. At age 16 she immigrated to the US when her mother married an American Serviceman. Elke's mom credits Elke's survival to American servicemen who provided powdered milk for infants after the war.

Merry Christmas, my dear friend and co-author. You may write the "Gems" but you are a true gem. You have given so much to this forum, the nation and the world.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

rvs323

Post by rvs323 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Being new to the Bogleheads forum this is my first post. Ironically, it has nothing to do with investing, but history. Mr. Larimore, thank-you for your service in defense of freedom and for sharing your memory from that fateful conflict. While my dad was in Europe too serving as a gunner with an AA unit, he passed away 30 years ago so I can't thank him. So you serve as a most deserving proxy for my Christmas blessing.

God bless you sir!

Randy

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Thank you, sir. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

just frank

Post by just frank » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Words fail Taylor.....but your Division didn't!

:beer

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

JPH

Post by JPH » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you, Taylor. I enjoy my freedom every day, and I wish the same for you.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Taylor,

Merry Christmas and thank you for your financial advice over the years.

Jim

spin_echo

Post by spin_echo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Thank you for reminding us of what a precious gift we have been given - liberty. Thanks to you and the other like you.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Mr. Larimore,

Thank you for your service, both 71 years ago and ongoing here on these boards. Your kind words and wisdom are a blessing to us all.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

BachemFan

Post by BachemFan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Taylor:

Merry Christmas, and thank you for the example of a life well lived. We can only strive to be better for that example.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Taylor - Love the "NUTS" message. Such a wonderful spirit.
We all appreciate so much what you and your generation did for the country, and what you and the Vanguard Diehards did for all of us :happy
Miriam2

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Mr. Larimore,

As has been said, you and your comrades have earned the eternal gratitude of this nation.

Thank you.

Tom

RedDog

Post by RedDog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

71 years ago, the U.S. military was engaged in the Battle of the Bulge where more than 60,000 American soldiers were killed, wounded or captured.

I was a scared, cold, hungry, 20-year old paratrooper in Bastogne, Belgium, surrounded by Germans trying to kill us.

The Germans demanded our surrender. Our commander, General McAuliffe, replied, "NUTS." His message to his troops is now a Freedom Shrine document known as McAuliffe's Christmas Message

Best wishes.
Taylor
Very well done soldier!

I was a C-130 flight engineer and I'd like to share with you that it was always an honor to get the paratroopers on time/on target over the DZ...even if I never took their invitation to jump with them! :sharebeer

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 pm

RedDog wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Very well done soldier!

I was a C-130 flight engineer and I'd like to share with you that it was always an honor to get the paratroopers on time/on target over the DZ...even if I never took their invitation to jump with them! :sharebeer
As a pilot, I always thought that anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane with the engines still running had to be either very brave or a bit crazy. Once I met Taylor, I realized it was the former.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 pm

:thumbsup
Thank You Sir.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

RedDog

Post by RedDog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
RedDog wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Very well done soldier!

As a pilot, I always thought that anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane with the engines still running had to be either very brave or a bit crazy. Once I met Taylor, I realized it was the former.
Amen Marine. It's important to remember flight pay is more than jump pay.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Thank you Taylor. One of my favorite World War II movies is The Battle of the Bulge. You didn't just see the movie or read the book, you were there!! Again, many thanks for your service to our country during World War II.
A fool and his money are good for business.

TailsandTie

Post by TailsandTie » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:04 am

I enjoyed reading this Christmas gift knowing that my grandfather also was on the ground in the battle of the bulge. Unfortunately I know very few stories and never got the chance to meet him.

Thank you, happy holidays!

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:17 am

Thank you, Taylor! Thank you for your service, for our freedom, and all the years of advice! Merry Christmas! :beer

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:00 am

You're amazing Taylor! An elderly high school mentor was a Battle of the Bulge veteran. He passed away in 2012. The brave people who fought alongside you are dwindling, and with them goes the inspiration they gave to young people, as well as the preservation of the memory of their colleagues who became forever young on those fields.

Would you happen to have a picture?
Last edited by sawhorse on Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:27 am

I've met several Battle of the Bulge survivors through the years. One was kind of in the D-Day picture of Eisenhower speaking to a 101st jumpmaster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Air ... _d-day.jpg He was at a funeral years ago. His head is visible in the picture. You can see him in a corresponding video. He said that his parachutist knife was displayed in the General William C. Lee Airborne Museum in Dunn, NC.

A few days ago I read the obituary of a family friend. "During World War II he served in the Quartermaster Corps as a first lieutenant and later captain. He waded ashore at Le Havre, France, in September 1944, serving in France, Belgium and Germany. Stationed in Liege during the Battle of the Bulge, he was supposed to torch the petrol supplies if the enemy broke through. Following a narrow escape when a V-2 rocket exploded next to him, he always preferred night duty: "You could see the rockets coming," he said."

Another friend's father served in the 99th Infantry Division during the "Bulge". He told me about being in a foxhole and receiving close artillery fire. He said that the next day he was evacuated for frostbite. He was transferred to the Army Air Force. He was one of around 90,000 American casualties.

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:58 am

give peace a chance - peace on earth

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:14 am

Taylor - great message. Thank you for your service!

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:16 am

Thank you Taylor. Merry Christmas !

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 am

Dear Taylor,

Thank you for making a difference in my life. May the New Year bring you joy.
Last edited by tuckeverlasting on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Taylor, it is such a pleasure to have you as such a visible part of this community.
-MO

artibug

Post by artibug » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Truly a priceless gift to us all. Thank you! And peace on earth!

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Taylor,
Thank you for your present this AM and for your service 70+ years ago.
I'd give you a big hug if I could. Take care dear sir.
DA

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor!

Thank you for the reminder about the sacrifices of so many, including yourself, so that we can enjoy peace and freedom today.

Have a wonderful day, and a Happy New Year too!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Would you happen to have a picture?
sawhorse:

Thanks for asking, but I didn't have a camera.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Thank you Taylor. Merry Christmas to all Bogleheads.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started