Congrats to Laura Dogu

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Tyrobi

Re: Congrats to Laura Dogu

Post by Tyrobi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:36 am

Congrats Laura!
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:44 am

Ambassadorships are political and this thread should be locked....

Kidding!

Congrats!

Neurosphere
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:14 am

Well done Laura.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:28 am

Laura, congratulations on your appointment. I do know someone who is a foreign service officer and I have a good idea of what this work entails. Best wishes on a successful career.
A fool and his money are good for business.

TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:42 am

Laura Farnsworth Dogu, a career member of the Foreign Service, class of Minister-Counselor, currently serves as Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, Mexico, a position she has held since 2012. Prior to that, Ms. Dogu was Deputy Executive Director in the Bureau of Consular Affairs at the Department of State from 2010 to 2012. She served as a Consular Section Chief and Consular Officer in Mexico, Turkey, and Egypt from 1999 to 2010. Ms. Dogu was a Staff Assistant in the Bureau of Consular Affairs from 1997 to 1998 and Watch Officer in the State Department Operations Center from 1996 to 1997. She also served as Consular and Political Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey from 1994 to 1996 and Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador, El Salvador from 1991 to 1993. Ms. Dogu received a B.A., B.B.A., and M.B.A. from Southern Methodist University and an M.S. from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

Quoted from here: http://diplopundit.net/2015/05/14/obama ... nicaragua/

Congratulations!

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Congratulations Laura!

May her new position not yank her in too many conflicting directions.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Congratulations, Laura! Laura was the first person to respond to my first post as a neophyte here and I will always be grateful for her kindness.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:52 pm

^^^ I neglected to mention earlier that Laura also helped me with my very first post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Norris

Post by Norris » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Congratulations, Laura! I recall your being very helpful early on when I was a new DH/BH. And it was a pleasure to meet you in person at past conferences.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 pm

neurosphere wrote:Ambassadorships are political and this thread should be locked....

Kidding!

Congrats!

Neurosphere
Some ambassadorship appointments are indeed political in nature, but not the ones that go to career professional diplomats like Laura. As the list linked below makes clear, there is a very explicit distinction between those two categories. Career professional appointments are clearly made on the basis of demonstrated excellence in diplomacy. Congratulations to Laura!

http://www.afsa.org/list-ambassadorial-appointments

sddiehard

Post by sddiehard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Yes...congratulations! Laura does us proud.

(FYI...I believe the swearing in is August 12.)

Paul

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:09 am

dodecahedron wrote:
neurosphere wrote:Ambassadorships are political and this thread should be locked....

Kidding!

Congrats!

Neurosphere
Some ambassadorship appointments are indeed political in nature, but not the ones that go to career professional diplomats like Laura. As the list linked below makes clear, there is a very explicit distinction between those two categories. Career professional appointments are clearly made on the basis of demonstrated excellence in diplomacy. Congratulations to Laura!

http://www.afsa.org/list-ambassadorial-appointments
My comment was 100% in jest, artificially conflating/equating any type of diplomat and diplomacy with politics. Even so, I did not realize the strict separation between political and career ambassadors as pointed out by the listing in that link, so thanks!

It seems that that there are several vacancies: Belarus, Bolivia, Cuba, El Savador, Eritria, Ghana, Lebanon, Luxembough, Slovak Republic, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Uruguay, Venezuela. Perhaps Laura can pull some strings and recommend some other Bogleheads for these positions! :D Although I assume many of these positions are vacant for decidedly political reasons.

noyopacific

Post by noyopacific » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Congratulations! :thumbsup
I've been having this story come up again in my Google news feed because "Bogleheads" is one of my news search keywords.
http://www.allgov.com/news/appointments ... ews=857660
I looked to see that the last time Laura posted in the BH Forum was 1/10/15 and her viewing profile also shows no recent activity. Her signature tag may give a clue to why she might have wanted to reduce her visibility here:
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.

I imagine that the promotion might also be keeping her busy.

Assuming that she occasionally lurks in this area,
Best Wishes, Good Luck & Thank You !
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks, I added the article to the wiki: Laura Dogu ("External links")

The last line of the article should be corrected, as they didn't count English as one of her spoken languages. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Thank you for bringing this conversation up again, as I missed it when it was first posted.

Congratulations to Laura! By this time you have been Ambassador for about two and a half months. I know
they are very fortunate to have you.
Best wishes, | Kathleen

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Congratulations, Laura!

I was traveling in August and missed this thread. And so I have first learned about your appointment at the Bogleheads conference. Best wishes for your new appointment!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Congratulations Laura - what an honor! All my best wishes and hopefully things in Nicaragua are politically calm. It was nice to meet you in person at the BH meeting 2 years ago. Best of luck
Michael

More Please

Post by More Please » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 am

I spoke to your lovely Mother at the Boglehead conference. She gave lots of credit to your husband who cares for your family, for your great success. It was a charming and considerate response. Congratulations to you and your family. I think Nicaragua lucked out too.