Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
timboktoo

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by timboktoo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:07 pm

digarei wrote:Certainly, these avatars are selected to reveal something of ourselves....or maybe to cover something up
I often see Yin and Yang in life. I see it in investing as well, in the relationship between risk and reward, between stocks and bonds and between spending and investing. It's a reminder of the importance of balance.

- Tim

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Doc's has been my favorite from the beginning. He's one of the first posters I read. I remember being in awe, thinking how smart the people on this forum were. His avatar makes him seem like a Jedi. :)

- Tim

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:43 pm

This thread is over 1 page long and no one still did not choose my avatar. I am in utter disbelief.

-The real Cosmo Kramer

Topic Author
The529guy

Post by The529guy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Cosmo wrote:This thread is over 1 page long and no one still did not choose my avatar. I am in utter disbelief.

-The real Cosmo Kramer
Cosmo, whenever I see your avatar, it always cracks me up that you chose a photo (of yourself) with your beloved pipe!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:24 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:Really fun, from another thread, is this by nisipirus:

"There is a reason why Fibonacci sequences occur in nature, and those reasons don't apply to the stock market. It's math, not numerology....
Here's the post: Subject: If you need a laugh today...
nisiprius wrote:There is a reason why Fibonacci sequences occur in nature, and those reasons don't apply to the stock market. It's math, not numerology.

The marvelous Vi Hart explains it clearly. I think I'm going to get rich writing a newsletter expounding the use of Lucas numbers in investing.

Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [1 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [2 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [3 of 3]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:31 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:Really fun, from another thread, is this by nisipirus:

"There is a reason why Fibonacci sequences occur in nature, and those reasons don't apply to the stock market. It's math, not numerology....
Here's the post: Subject: If you need a laugh today...
nisiprius wrote:There is a reason why Fibonacci sequences occur in nature, and those reasons don't apply to the stock market. It's math, not numerology.

The marvelous Vi Hart explains it clearly. I think I'm going to get rich writing a newsletter expounding the use of Lucas numbers in investing.

Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [1 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [2 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [3 of 3]
Thank you LadyGeek I didn't know how to transfer the links and quote from the other thread properly.
GoldenFinch

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

The529guy wrote:
Cosmo wrote:This thread is over 1 page long and no one still did not choose my avatar. I am in utter disbelief.

-The real Cosmo Kramer
Cosmo, whenever I see your avatar, it always cracks me up that you chose a photo (of yourself) with your beloved pipe!
I have been wanting to change it for years now. If I can ever figure out how to do it on a Mac without downloading some stupid freeware program, I will do it.

(Edited to indicate change of avatar).

Done! Wow, you really need to jump through hoops to upload an avatar here with the constraints in place.

Cosmo

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
JLJL wrote:Also liked Leerar (the previous one).
I like Leeraar's new avatar!
Apparently his wife complained about his old Erasmus painting, so he "went looking for a change of pace."
His new avatar is a "visualization of solving some algebraic polynomial equations."
see www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p2447954
wabisabi wrote:ray.james, the image that you linked to is for Frédéric Bastiat, "a French classical liberal theorist, political economist, and member of the French assembly" (according to Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... ic_Bastiat
I guess we're getting cultured. First algebraic polynomial equations, now French classical theorists. :happy
Good stuff! I also agree with dodecahedron's analysis of why Leerar's avatar was great from that first link. Avatar matched the content of his posts well, and I get the new one too. I think that's why I like Toons! I just picture him up there in the hills of TN posting some good BH content with a smile, then running out the door into the hills hootin' and a hollerin'.

I want an avatar because I find them helpful (read another thread on this topic). But I'm not sure where to start. Probably should put somebody looking confused because usually I am.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:14 am

wabisabi wrote:
ray.james, the image that you linked to is for Frédéric Bastiat, "a French classical liberal theorist, political economist, and member of the French assembly" (according to Wikipedia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... ic_Bastiat
Thank you for looking up. Made an very interesting late night reading.
I know Google can image search but did not know that public can use it. I thought they just tag the images, while there keep robo searching across webpages. Good tool to use.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 am

The529guy wrote:
Oicuryy wrote:This Google search might help you find a favorite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:bo ... r&tbm=isch

Ron
That's awesome - thanks, Ron!
+1 Agree, that is cool, but unless I'm going blind (and that maybe a real possibility), I didn't see mine, so maybe it is not a complete list, but certainly a fun one to scroll through.

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:36 am

-The real Cosmo Kramer
Are you sure about that?? :happy I am offering the Real Kramer Tour here in the Philippines . . .

jimgour

Post by jimgour » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:53 am

I vote for Taylor's sailboat.

My avatar clearly displays my favorite hobby (photography).

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 am

I've always liked noobvestor's avatar.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Sorry to be late with an answer about my avatar, but wabisabi provided the answer.

About that mobster guess -- I think HL would have liked that guess.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm

I cannot believe no one said "Oblivious Investor's" yet. That is my favorite. He also uses it on his blog.

People won't undrstand mine unless they saw the videos I posted about 5 years ago.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 pm

fishnskiguy wrote:Sorry, guys, Nisi's avatar is not a monarch. It's an American copper.

Chris
Thank you. I knew it wasn't a monarch--the one in the photograph is about 2 cm in size, by the way--but didn't know what it was.
Before I switched to that one, I was using a cropped image of Martyn Green's head from this image:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 pm

I like all avatars. The below is one of my favorites.

Sheepdog
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Boglenaut wrote:I cannot believe no one said "Oblivious Investor's" yet. That is my favorite. He also uses it on his blog.

People won't undrstand mine unless they saw the videos I posted about 5 years ago.
Yep his is great.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 am

Yes, I do like sheepdog's, and VictoriaF's.

She hasn't posted in a while but I always liked interplanetjanet's:

and an interesting comparison to the "real" Interplanet Janet:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

max12377

Post by max12377 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:30 am

I like Toons avatar. Guns blazin..

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:42 am

kenschmidt wrote:I like EnglishGirl's blue and white bunny
Aww, thank you! It is MIffy, who I was very fond of as a child. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miffy

Edit: to actually answer the question, I like zaboomafarg's and noobvestor's avatars. And many others!
Sarah

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:04 pm

As a huge fan of Robotech, I will have to say the avatar of schuyler74 is my favorite.

My second favorite is Englishgirl's bunny in a blue dress (I believe that is her name on here... or some derivation of it, and another poster also seems to think that is her name.)

VictoriaF's always reminds me of a viking ship in some way, which I like. Her explanation that it is a black swan makes sense, but I like the idea that she has snarky vikings that come to attack all of the threads in which she posts.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Haha... ok, so yes, her name is englishgirl, since she posted just above my post.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Dulocracy wrote:Haha... ok, so yes, her name is englishgirl, since she posted just above my post.
always reminds me of
and that's why I like it! It also makes me think Englishgirl must be a very nice person.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Dulocracy wrote:Haha... ok, so yes, her name is englishgirl, since she posted just above my post.
always reminds me of
and that's why I like it! It also makes me think Englishgirl must be a very nice person.

Then I think of one of my favorite crtoons:

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Haha. I love that cartoon, bertilak! You know, I felt a teensy bit bad in my earlier post saying that I was fond of Miffy as a child. That implies that I grew out of my fondness as I put away childish things. Truth be told, I was mostly fond of Miffy as a teenager and young adult. And am now also fond of Hello Kitty as a not-so-young adult.

But, as for Hello Kitty:
Miffy is sometimes assumed to be a Japanese character, because Sanrio's Hello Kitty, introduced in 1974, is rendered using a similar line style. The Miffy brand is popular in Japan, with strong sales of Japanese-made Miffy merchandise. In an interview for the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph, Bruna expressed his dislike for Hello Kitty. "'That,' he says darkly, 'is a copy [of Miffy], I think. I don't like that at all. I always think, "No, don't do that. Try to make something that you think of yourself".[2]
Sarah

MP1233

Post by MP1233 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:21 pm

LazyNihilist wrote:I like all avatars. The below is one of my favorites.

Sheepdog
Also my favorite!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:45 pm

This has been a good and interesting thread.

Thanks Bogleheads!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Lets be friends!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Homer has made me laugh for 25 years. I mean, truly laugh out loud.... That's got to be good for ones health.

Marge (to Homer): So you want to go on tour with a traveling freak show.
Homer: I don't think I have a choice, Marge.
Marge: Of course you have a choice.
Homer: How do you figure?
Marge: You don't have to quit your job and join a freak show just because the opportunity came along.
Homer: You know, Marge, in some ways, you and I are very different people.

matjen

Post by matjen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Although I am a fan of my own Billy Jack Avatar. I think the recent "protests" during Mario Draghi's press conference makes for a couple of nice Avatars....I suppose especially if you diversify internationally. :-)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Searching through more avatars

I found bertilak's previous avatar with the Rabbit like creature very fascinating. Like it was calling me.

And when I see this Avatar, I get an urge to just go to Barcelona to watch Messi play.

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 pm

LazyNihilist -
So what is your avatar? Is that the unicorn you almost saw one time? :P
Bob

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:37 pm

LazyNihilist wrote:I found bertilak's previous avatar with the Rabbit like creature very fascinating. Like it was calling me.
That's Max from the Sam & Max comics, excuse me, make that "graphic novels!". They're "Freelance Police." Credit to Steve Purcell.

Here's Sam ...

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:16 pm

CABob wrote:LazyNihilist -
So what is your avatar? Is that the unicorn you almost saw one time? :P
Almost almost, the Invisible Pink Unicorn works in mysterious ways :wink: :wink:

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:48 am

bertilak wrote:
LazyNihilist wrote:I found bertilak's previous avatar with the Rabbit like creature very fascinating. Like it was calling me.
That's Max from the Sam & Max comics, excuse me, make that "graphic novels!". They're "Freelance Police." Credit to Steve Purcell.
Here's Sam ...
"You're looking hale and hearty, little buddy!"

I played the original Sam and Max - fun game :D

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 am

zaboomafoozarg wrote:"You're looking hale and hearty, little buddy!"

I played the original Sam and Max - fun game :D
For a short time I used Sam as an avatar. Not sure if that was here.

I like the hat. Compare to my present avatar! I never noticed that before.

I loved the game too. Went to the trouble of installing a DOS emulator to play it again but I can't get past Whack-a-Rat. I think my reflexes have slowed and/or computers are just faster.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:27 am

kramer wrote:

-The real Cosmo Kramer
Are you sure about that?? :happy I am offering the Real Kramer Tour here in the Philippines . . .
No. I'm Kramer....

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun May 17, 2015 2:46 pm

livesoft wrote:I will admit that I always liked zaplunken's blue lips and green elixir avatar.
The Bestest avatar evah is MINE cuz it's so colorful! :sharebeer

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun May 17, 2015 2:48 pm

zaplunken wrote:
livesoft wrote:I will admit that I always liked zaplunken's blue lips and green elixir avatar.
The Bestest avatar evah is MINE cuz it's so colorful! :sharebeer
I think the blue lips are creepy. But I do like blue toenails! :happy