Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
User avatar
Topic Author
The529guy
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 am

Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by The529guy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 am

At first, I titled the subject line "Best Boglehead Avatar," but can there really be a "best"?

No, of course not.

However, let me share my admiration for zaboomafoozarg, whose avatar inspired the question above:

Image

I love it.

ANC
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by ANC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:09 am

The Monarch Butterfly.

I don't always have time to read much on this list, but if I see the butterfly on the right, I know it will be worth my time.

User avatar
schuyler74
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by schuyler74 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:00 am

That's weird.

Zaboomafoozarg's is what I was going to respond with before reading the OP. I even dragged it into Google Images once to discover its origin.

And Nisiprius' for the same reason just mentioned. If I'm scrolling and see the butterfly, I stop.

red5
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by red5 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:34 am

ANC wrote:The Monarch Butterfly.

I don't always have time to read much on this list, but if I see the butterfly on the right, I know it will be worth my time.
+1

njuser
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by njuser » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:56 am

Butterfly.

dolphinsaremammals
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:01 am

I feel I should recognize who this avatar is, but I don't. Some mobster?

Image

pointyhead
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by pointyhead » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:06 am

The Monarch Butterfly.

I don't always have time to read much on this list, but if I see the butterfly on the right, I know it will be worth my time.
+1

I don't really have a favorite Avatar but like previously mentioned by others I always read the Monarch-Nisi.

peppers
Posts: 1395
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by peppers » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:08 am

LadyGeek

P.S. Yes, this is blatant and shameless schmoozing.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

TheRightKost87
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by TheRightKost87 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:14 am

Not exactly an answer to the original question, but I'll provide one of my favorite usernames as opposed to avatars.

I must say whenever I read the username Tainted Meat I give a little chuckle.
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2784
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:23 am

Mine.

It is my favorite baseball card from my favorite baseball player as a kid.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 am

For some reason, TwoByFour's avatar makes me chuckle about 50% of the time and creeps me out the other 50% of the time. But it's always eye-catching and I think it's probably what I look like hunched over at my desk all day, so I vote for that one:

Image

User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Oicuryy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 am

This Google search might help you find a favorite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:bo ... r&tbm=isch

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

User avatar
Topic Author
The529guy
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by The529guy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:48 am

Oicuryy wrote:This Google search might help you find a favorite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:bo ... r&tbm=isch

Ron
That's awesome - thanks, Ron!

User avatar
digarei
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by digarei » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:28 am

There seems to be a plentiful supply of sages, swamis, soothsayers and savants. If the avatar has human qualities but isn't immediately recognizable as an historical or cartoon figure, I always think, "Is this a photo of the the poster?" Does he/she look like this? Even, I confess, "Do they look smart?"

I've also noticed a large number of abstractions (circles, spirals, planes, spheres) that to me imply a knowledge of or aptitude for mathematics, or are they intended to be representative of a series of infinite/indeterminate numbers? I interpret some of these images as highly precise, others as somehow implying the intangible or ethereal. Certainly, these avatars are selected to reveal something of ourselves....or maybe to cover something up:

"Look at me! I'm as witty and sage as Mark Twain!" —why didn't I think of this!? (Yes, I'm infected with 'avatar envy')

"I'm as clever or devious as a bank robber! "

And many are notable to me for being understated, which can be, of course, a statement in itself:

"my name recognition (or reputation) is such that I do not require an avatar"

Does an avatar influence the reader's assessment of the quality of advice? I think it does.
Now, what is one to make of a cup of java? The as yet unground coffee beans not entirely contained within? Hmmmm. :confused
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

dolphinsaremammals
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:03 am

digarei wrote: Does an avatar influence the reader's assessment of the quality of advice? I think it does.
Someone has an avatar of an elderly man kissing a little girl on the lips. That always creeps me out. I try to remind myself that there are cultural differences about kissing.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 19070
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:07 am

digarei wrote: Does an avatar influence the reader's assessment of the quality of advice? I think it does.
My avatar is a Black Swan, which I have created by modifying another picture. I was thinking that it signifies my Black Swan awareness ... until someone commented that it looks like a peacock.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
Bustoff
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Bustoff » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:14 am

dolphinsaremammals wrote: Someone has an avatar of an elderly man kissing a little girl on the lips. That always creeps me out. I try to remind myself that there are cultural differences about kissing.
Maybe the man in the avatar is the recent Jeopordy contestant who guessed that the "age of consent" for for girls was 12 years of age. :shock:
Jeopardy contestant creepy answer

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:33 am

Oh I also like Bustoffs, since it's the logo for the best golf course and golf tournament in existence (which I happen to be watching at the moment)

stvmrny
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by stvmrny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:54 am

**deleted**
Last edited by stvmrny on Wed May 09, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good information is useless without the willpower.

Miriam2
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:58 am

The cutest avatar EVER must be awarded to Bylo Selhi from the Great White North.
His adorable little beaver with the Canadian flag makes me laugh every time!
(I would love to paste it here, but that's advanced work :? )

Ron
Posts: 6574
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Ron » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:My avatar is a Black Swan, which I have created by modifying another picture. I was thinking that it signifies my Black Swan awareness ... until someone commented that it looks like a peacock.
Looks like a Cygnus Atratus to me (which is quite common "down under") :D

- Ron

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 58750
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:18 pm

peppers wrote:LadyGeek

P.S. Yes, this is blatant and shameless schmoozing.
My avatar is based on a camera viewfinder reticle (one of my "other" hobbies). It grabs your attention and scales well at any resolution.

To show an avatar, right-click on an avatar and "View image" paste the URL into the post and use the "Img" tag.

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/download/file.php?avatar=11675_1374258389.png[/img]
Displays as:

Image

The above technique only works in this forum. (Those familiar with software will recognize that a PHP script is run - which creates the image.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

angelescrest
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Texas

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by angelescrest » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 pm

zaboomafoozarg wrote:For some reason, TwoByFour's avatar makes me chuckle about 50% of the time and creeps me out the other 50% of the time. But it's always eye-catching and I think it's probably what I look like hunched over at my desk all day, so I vote for that one:

Image
I don't have a favorite but I vote for this one so far.

livesoft
Posts: 69587
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Maybe nisiprius will drop by and discuss The Monarch (sic) Butterfly. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Miriam2
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:44 pm

LadyGeek wrote:To show an avatar, right-click on an avatar and "View image" paste the URL into the post and use the "Img" tag.

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/download/file.php?avatar=11675_1374258389.png[/img]
Displays as:
Image
The above technique only works in this forum. (Those familiar with software will recognize that a PHP script is run - which creates the image.)
Thank you LadyGeek!
When I right-click on Bylo's avatar (from a post??), the long window that comes up has no "view image" button to click. I click on each button, then other things happen :shock:

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 17085
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:05 pm

I like my ship for Vanguard!

I also like Taylor's for the sailing!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
fishnskiguy
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Sedona, AZ

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by fishnskiguy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Sorry, guys, Nisi's avatar is not a monarch. It's an American copper.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:01 pm

I like indexfundfan's avatar:

Image

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=82
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by gkaplan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:55 pm

I like my avatar, actually.
Gordon

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by CABob » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:01 pm

gkaplan wrote:I like my avatar, actually.
Didn't you formerly use an attractive musician?
Bob

User avatar
Frankonomics
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Frankonomics » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Just uploaded mine... I think it suits well.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:My avatar is a Black Swan, which I have created by modifying another picture. I was thinking that it signifies my Black Swan awareness ... until someone commented that it looks like a peacock.
Is there such a thing as a Black Peacock? (The closest to one that I've seen was the NBC logo on a monochrome TV. That was a few decades ago.)
Miriam2 wrote:The cutest avatar EVER must be awarded to Bylo Selhi from the Great White North.
His adorable little beaver with the Canadian flag makes me laugh every time!
Why thank you! It's my pleasure to amuse :D

GoldenFinch
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Frankonomics wrote:Just uploaded mine... I think it suits well.
Okay, yours is my least favorite. :happy

I don't have a favorite, but I always notice Toons (simple words of wisdom accompanied by a smiley face), the butterfly (great advice, knowledge and serious info), the swan/peacock (ever logical or clever). I also notice the TimeLord with his time machine and dolphinsaremammals because of the name dolphinsaremammals.

livesoft
Posts: 69587
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:28 pm

I will admit that I always liked zaplunken's blue lips and green elixir avatar.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
backpacker
Posts: 1620
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by backpacker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:33 pm

I'll put in a vote for Ned Said. :happy

Image

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 17085
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:17 pm

gkaplan wrote:I like my avatar, actually.
So do I!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
Flobes
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Flobes » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:50 pm

I arrived here on the Forum just after my sister stole some of my inheritance, and I was reading Wiesenthal's The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness.

"Every pictures tells a story, don't it!"

User avatar
Dutch
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Dutch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I like Rich Ferri's F18-s

User avatar
schuyler74
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by schuyler74 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:51 pm

BrandonBogle
Image

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Nicolas » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:02 am

boroc7 wrote:
zaboomafoozarg wrote:For some reason, TwoByFour's avatar makes me chuckle about 50% of the time and creeps me out the other 50% of the time. But it's always eye-catching and I think it's probably what I look like hunched over at my desk all day, so I vote for that one:

Image
I don't have a favorite but I vote for this one so far.
I think the artwork is by R. Crumb.
You never miss your water till your well runs dry.

User avatar
Topic Author
The529guy
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by The529guy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:03 am

Another favorite:

camillus
Image

JLJL
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by JLJL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:27 am

Toons.

Love his whole online persona. :happy

Also liked Leerar (the previous one).

JLJL
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by JLJL » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 am

dolphinsaremammals wrote:I feel I should recognize who this avatar is, but I don't. Some mobster?

Image
I always felt he looked like my grandfather, who I only knew from pictures.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:44 am

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5488
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Kenkat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:34 pm

I like EnglishGirl's blue and white bunny

User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by ray.james » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 pm

JLJL wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:I feel I should recognize who this avatar is, but I don't. Some mobster?

Image
I always felt he looked like my grandfather, who I only knew from pictures.
+1 Will add myself to the list. Always wondered who he was.

Same is the case with memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1627 icon. I have no clue who he was.
I wasn't in this country during elementary/middle schools. Looks like one of the early founding fathers.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

wabisabi
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by wabisabi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:41 pm

ray.james wrote:
JLJL wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:I feel I should recognize who this avatar is, but I don't. Some mobster?

Image
I always felt he looked like my grandfather, who I only knew from pictures.
+1 Will add myself to the list. Always wondered who he was.

Same is the case with memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1627 icon. I have no clue who he was.
I wasn't in this country during elementary/middle schools. Looks like one of the early founding fathers.
A google image search shows that this is H.L. Mencken, a journalist who covered the Scopes "Monkey Trial" among other things

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/features ... ncken.html

ray.james, the image that you linked to is for Frédéric Bastiat, "a French classical liberal theorist, political economist, and member of the French assembly" (according to Wikipedia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... ic_Bastiat

Miriam2
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:56 pm

JLJL wrote:Also liked Leerar (the previous one).
I like Leeraar's new avatar!
Apparently his wife complained about his old Erasmus painting, so he "went looking for a change of pace."
His new avatar is a "visualization of solving some algebraic polynomial equations."
see www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p2447954
wabisabi wrote:ray.james, the image that you linked to is for Frédéric Bastiat, "a French classical liberal theorist, political economist, and member of the French assembly" (according to Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... ic_Bastiat
I guess we're getting cultured. First algebraic polynomial equations, now French classical theorists. :happy

retiredjg
Posts: 39016
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by retiredjg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I like Gamma Ray's yin yang fire and ice atom. At least, that's what I see. Kid of sums up everything.

Image

GoldenFinch
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Favorite Boglehead Avatar?

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
JLJL wrote:Also liked Leerar (the previous one).
I like Leeraar's new avatar!
Apparently his wife complained about his old Erasmus painting, so he "went looking for a change of pace."
His new avatar is a "visualization of solving some algebraic polynomial equations."
see www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p2447954
wabisabi wrote:ray.james, the image that you linked to is for Frédéric Bastiat, "a French classical liberal theorist, political economist, and member of the French assembly" (according to Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... ic_Bastiat
I guess we're getting cultured. First algebraic polynomial equations, now French classical theorists. :happy
Really fun, from another thread, is this by nisipirus:

"There is a reason why Fibonacci sequences occur in nature, and those reasons don't apply to the stock market. It's math, not numerology.

The marvelous Vi Hart explains it clearly. I think I'm going to get rich writing a newsletter expounding the use of Lucas numbers in investing.

Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [1 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [2 of 3]
Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant [3 of 3]"

Post Reply