"The world's largest non-commercial financial forum".

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The world's largest non-commercial financial forum".

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:31 am

Bogleheads:

In July 2001, Alex Frakt and Larry Auton debuted http://www.Bogleheads.org.. We are now the world's largest non-commercial financial forum with an average of over 1200 posts each day and over 2,000,000 viewers each month.

Investors need to know that we are not just another financial website. Accordingly, I recommend the headline of our website http://www.bogleheads.org (in the blue-bar above) should be changed to read:

"Bogleheads.org –- The world's largest non-commercial financial forum.
Investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

jebmke

Re: "The world's largest non-commercial financial forum".

Post by jebmke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 am

Where else can you get good advice on kitchen knives, $5,000 watches and what to do with a $5 million windfall?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

matjen

Post by matjen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 am

Seconded!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 am

All I can say is...

WOW!!! :sharebeer
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 am

Guess better to be lucky to join this board 8-) Seconded the motion :oops:

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm

jebmke wrote:Where else can you get good advice on kitchen knives, $5,000 watches and what to do with a $5 million windfall?
Don't forget about Subarus, cast iron skillets, and costco.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Glad to be part of this community.

I also enjoy reading opinions and suggestions of very intelligent community members on variety of topics from knives to watches to vacations to coffee...

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Sweet! Thanks to all that have made and continue to make it possible. A wonderful community.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote: "Bogleheads.org –- The world's largest non-commercial financial forum.
I like that! May be a disclaimer along the lines of "Active Traders & Market Timers may stay away". LOL

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:46 pm

"The world's largest non-commercial financial forum.

Extraordinary indeed,,,,"Build it ,they will come." :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

singern

Post by singern » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm

jebmke wrote:Where else can you get good advice on kitchen knives, $5,000 watches and what to do with a $5 million windfall?

+1
I haven't "needed the money" since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade.... but I like it - The Departed, 2006.

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

How do we know that it's the world's largest non-commercial financial forum? I would bet a large amount of money that it's true, but I was expecting some link to back up the claim. Perhaps there's a Chinese forum that's bigger? Doubtful, but I'm often annoyed at the tendency of Americans to add "World" to so many things that are obviously not, such as the "World Series" and how seemingly every champion of a national sports league is the "World Champion."

Nonetheless, I'm amazed at the growth of the Bogleheads forum and very thankful for its success.

SAM

pingo

Post by pingo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

...blenders, button-ups, tablet PCs...

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm

pingo wrote:...blenders, button-ups, tablet PCs...
Electric Toothbrushes. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

investor1

Post by investor1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

I like it the way it is. Let the content speak for itself.

It is a nice accomplishment though :)

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Congratulations and much thanks! It's nice to see the good guys score one.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:53 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Don't forget about Subarus, cast iron skillets, and costco.
Don't forget men's skincare products, shoes, dress shirts, warm coats, ties, college savings plans, high yielding savings accounts, cd's, credit unions, mortgage rates, term life insurance and the occasional trolling by variable annuity salesmen. :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Hocus, thank you.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 pm

walletless wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote: "Bogleheads.org –- The world's largest non-commercial financial forum.
I like that! May be a disclaimer along the lines of "Active Traders & Market Timers may stay away". LOL
Active Traders & Market Timers come and learn.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Wonderful news, Taylor! I'm inspired by Jack Bogle and proud of "our" forum, although not too surprised by its success. I would however strike "The world's largest" from any masthead we chose to use simply because I don't think it qualifies us in any useful way. When we were once smaller, were we any less useful? Surely the largest commercial sites are not necessarily any better than the smallest ones. :) I don't know, maybe it just sounds showy to me. I do however like the idea of saying something like "Bogleheads.org - A non-commercial financial forum - Investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle." (I'm afraid that those "don't mess with the allocation" neurons of mine have been trained to tingle at the slightest provocation...)

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 pm

I would rather be part of the "best" investment forum and whether it is the largest is of much less significance.
Bob

xenial

Post by xenial » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 pm

SecretAsianMan wrote:How do we know that it's the world's largest non-commercial financial forum? I would bet a large amount of money that it's true, but I was expecting some link to back up the claim. Perhaps there's a Chinese forum that's bigger? Doubtful, but I'm often annoyed at the tendency of Americans to add "World" to so many things that are obviously not, such as the "World Series" and how seemingly every champion of a national sports league is the "World Champion."
Taylor, I have the same question as SecretAsianMan. What's the source of your information? It's funny that there's been a discussion on another thread today about the Bogleheads' prominence in Google search results, but I'm curious to see a more solid reference for your claim (which I do totally believe).
SteveB3005 wrote:Hocus, thank you.
I can't believe you said that. :D

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:04 pm

How do we know that it's the world's largest non-commercial financial forum? I would bet a large amount of money that it's true, but I was expecting some link to back up the claim.
Sam & Ken:

You are right, I always try to include a link when I make a positive statement like "we are the worlds largest non-commercial financial forum."

My source was forum owner, Alex Frakt, whom I contacted about six months ago when I wanted conformation of what appeared to be true. Alex had facts and figures and confirmed that he felt confident that We are now the largest non-commercial financial forum.

I feel that being the largest is a fact we should be proud of and demonstrates our success helping individual investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Credit goes to Alex and the other founders. And the moderators and advisors!

And not just for keeping it working and flowing, but also for not turning it into a commercial site.

It could've easily been monetized, with ads added, etc. Thank you all for not going that route!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

xenial

Post by xenial » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Taylor, thanks! As others have said, I think it's far more important to be the best rather than the largest, but it's nice to be both, and your personal efforts have obviously played a huge role in this happy situation.

Alex, if you happen to read this, I'm guessing "largest" really means "most active" in some sense. I have two questions:
1. How did you determine Bogleheads is the largest?
2. Which commercial financial forums are larger? (Morningstar, maybe, if all its forums are aggregated?)

smurth2000

Post by smurth2000 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Awesome!
Proud to be a member of 'Worlds Largest Financial Forum"
One question always lingered in my mind. There are costs to maintaining and running a forum as this. Who/How does the funding part work?

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:00 pm

smurth2000 wrote:Awesome!
Proud to be a member of 'Worlds Largest Financial Forum"
One question always lingered in my mind. There are costs to maintaining and running a forum as this. Who/How does the funding part work?
https://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm

(This is the same as the "support this site" link in the page header.)

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 pm

smurth2000 wrote:One question always lingered in my mind. There are costs to maintaining and running a forum as this. Who/How does the funding part work?
If you look over on the left side of the main screen you will see a link to make an Amazon purchase for which a portion goes to maintain the site and also a link to make a donation.
Bob

smurth2000

Post by smurth2000 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:20 pm

CABob wrote:
smurth2000 wrote:One question always lingered in my mind. There are costs to maintaining and running a forum as this. Who/How does the funding part work?
If you look over on the left side of the main screen you will see a link to make an Amazon purchase for which a portion goes to maintain the site and also a link to make a donation.
Great! Now I want to make sure I give back to the community. It is one place I can make a purchase/donate and not feel any guilt at all.

snowyday

Post by snowyday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm

I just joined after lurking for the past few weeks. I was lucky enough to have read some of the recommended books and come to conclusions similar to the Boglehead philosophy, but it is becoming clear that this forum contains a lot more wisdom than simply about investments.

Bravo, and thanks to all of the contributors who make this forum worth reading!

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:32 am

Out of curiosity, what are the commercial forums that are bigger than Bogleheads?

cowboyinasia

Post by cowboyinasia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 am

That's a great accomplishment. Thanks to the founders and well done to us.

Yes put it in the title, that'll draw even more people. Then grandfather the current members and start charging the newbie Bogleheads to join. Oh, wait . . .

xystici

Post by xystici » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 am

No please. Let's not position Boglehead.org as the "word's largest non-commercial financial forum". Instead, let's continue position it as "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle".

This will dilute an already powerful message from Mr. Bogle of excellence, quality, cost-effective, smart, cost-effective, and passive investing.

I do not care if Bogleheads is read by 1 Million, 10 Million, or 1 Trillion people a year.

I do care instead if Bogleheads is and continues to be in the future the best quality site for investors that are willing to learn about investing with principles from that of Mr. Bogle who also contribute with the best quality comments and are willing to help others.
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am

CABob wrote:I would rather be part of the "best" investment forum and whether it is the largest is of much less significance.
agree, 1200 posts a day, that is a lot of traffic to keep up with. yet, it is worth reading much of the stuff that flies by
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

bcjb

Post by bcjb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:58 am

xystici wrote:No please. Let's not position Boglehead.org as the "word's largest non-commercial financial forum". Instead, let's continue position it as "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle".

This will dilute an already powerful message from Mr. Bogle of excellence, quality, cost-effective, smart, cost-effective, and passive investing.

I do not care if Bogleheads is read by 1 Million, 10 Million, or 1 Trillion people a year.

I do care instead if Bogleheads is and continues to be in the future the best quality site for investors that are willing to learn about investing with principles from that of Mr. Bogle who also contribute with the best quality comments and are willing to help others.
I understand the concerns about claiming to be the 'world's largest'. Bogleheads.org may at some point be surpassed by a forum in China (if it hasn't happened already), so we'd have to pay attention to this and possibly remove the headline later on. More importantly, a smaller Bogleheads forum wouldn't necessarily be any worse than the one we have now, so the new headline would focus on something that's ultimately beside the point. Still, I do like the idea of adding a bit more information. I can't remember how I stumbled on this forum, but I do know it was a complete fluke, and it took me a while to realize that it wasn't e.g. a marketing forum of Vanguard. (I have nothing against Vanguard, but I appreciate that this is entirely separate, and that the connection is to Mr. Bogle's ideas rather than the company he founded.) Adding something about it being a "non-commercial financial forum" might be helpful for the first-time visitor.