SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Another case for the Presidential Medal Of Freedom for Jack. http://www.forbes.com/sites/phildemuth/ ... f-freedom/

FWIW, we nominated Jack previously, but got no response. http://www.bogleheads.org/blog/john-bog ... f-freedom/

UPDATE: There's now an online petition to get Jack the Medal. You can sign it here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
chaz

Re: Where is John C. Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Post by chaz »

He has earned it!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

If those bestowing this honor truly understood the freedom that comes from having enough money, they could not possibly ignore John C. Bogle.

Good to see this and the previous article and thanks Mel.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Thanks Mel for carrying the torch. Now let's hope someone notices. There is no one more deserving than Jack.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
shawcroft

Where is John C. Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Post by shawcroft »

Mel:
Is there anything individuals (such as we Bogleheads) can do to "further animate" this recommendation? Can we submit endorsements of this recommendation? I am dismayed no response was received...not even a "we've got it and we will let you know" from someone who you could contact for follow-up.
I will not allow my usual cynicism regarding the "political process" to discourage my optimism regarding this award for Mr. Bogle.
Shawcroft
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

You can create a petition. If you can get 100k signatures in 30 days, the Whitehouse has to respond to it (but not necessarily follow through with the request).

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/create
NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota »

Couldn't agree more. :beer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hi Mel,

I could not agree more. I remember this topic a short while ago and it is a shame the award did not happen.

Thank you for starting this thread.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Did everyone notice that Phil DeMuth gives a "Hat tip to Mel Lindauer of the Bogleheads?"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Van

Post by Van »

He absolutely deserves it........a great man.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Perhaps we need to get Warren Buffet to put Bogle's name forward? More clout coming from another PMOF recipient.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Talk to your Congresscritter's office.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

FrugalInvestor wrote:Thanks Mel for carrying the torch. Now let's hope someone notices. There is no one more deserving than Jack.
Mr. Bogle has provided a framework and straight forward system for countless people and families to build financial security beyond their wildest dreams.

To say he is deserving of this award is a gross understatement.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Whether Mr. Bogle receives such an honor (or not), his legacy is assured, no doubt. His philosophy rescued many from investing exploitation. That said, awarding a Presidential medal to a person who enabled the moderately-well-to-do to become substantially-well-to-do might not sit well with certain folks.

I vote we award Mr. Bogle our own medal.
DG99999

Post by DG99999 »

For those who may not click on the link, this paragraph is beautiful rhetoric from the WSJ article (and, of course, so true):

"An American success story, Bogle inevitably became a millionaire. Here’s what his sacrifice meant he didn’t become: a multi-billionaire. Bogle doesn’t own a private jet; he flies coach. It’s unlikely that you will read about future generations of Bogles becoming U.S. Senators or owning professional sports franchises. That money went into your pocket instead. This outcome was not inevitable. It was an unacknowledged gift from John C. Bogle to the rest of us."

(THANKS JACK . . . my 401k expense ratios . . . SP500 Index 0.02%, Bond Index 0.04%, EAFE Index 0.06%, Russell 2000 Index 0.07%)
I am not a financial professional. My posts are only my opinion on the topic. You need to do your own due diligence and consult with a professional when addressing your financial questions.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Why anticipate politics? In many cases nominations are by far the greater honer than mere final selection. -- Tet
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

That sort of felt like a "Double-Dog Dare Ya!" Fine, I'll bite. Now sign and promote it.

Apologies to Phil DeMuth, I edited the heck out of what you wrote to meet the 800 character maximum length description.

Edit:
I have been advised that it is difficult for people without a hotlink to correctly type in a long URL
In that case, I hope that this will help.
http://wh.gov/ibTyb
Last edited by noyopacific on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

noyopacific wrote:That sort of felt like a "Double-Dog Dare Ya!" Fine, I'll bite. Now sign and promote it.

Apologies to Phil DeMuth, I edited the heck out of what you wrote to meet the 800 character maximum length description.
Thanks noyopacific. I signed.

May be John C Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy should create the prize, e.g. Bogle Prize for Financial Wisdom ( IMO has the potential to become more prestigious than the Nobel prize, and ofcourse the first award would go to Jack Bogle himself).

I am happy to contribute to the Bogle Foundation prize or no prize.

Wildebeest
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

Thanks.
BTW: The petition must get 150 signatures in order to be publicly searchable on WhiteHouse.gov.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

noyopacific wrote:That sort of felt like a "Double-Dog Dare Ya!" Fine, I'll bite. Now sign and promote it.

I'm signing, but you really need 100,000 signatures to get Whitehouse attention. We probably need to coordinate with some of the more prominent bogleheads to get them to encourage their readers to go sign too. Also, does anyone know Jim Cramer? (EDIT: My Cramer idea was a joke, but I love that people picked it up and ran with it!)
Last edited by Gropes & Ray on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawcroft

John C. Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Post by shawcroft »

I've signed- as did my wife.
I'll ask folks I know to do this.....
Shawcroft
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

If it weren't for the Facebook post today, I wouldn't have ever seen this. Can the admins please pin this to the top of the list for at least a week? Not everyone is able to get the forum to show all new posts of interest.

I had no idea a petition had been created, so I created one. I'll go back now and try to take it down, and replace with this link. I signed this petition, and we are on the way to the minimum 150 needed to get the petition on the search engine at the site. Until then, it can only be found at this URL. That means it is up to the Bogleheads to get it that far. After that, we need the help of folks with larger followings, like Jim Cramer, et.al.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Ever Ready

Post by Ever Ready »

Is there any way that Vanguard might agree to put a link to the petition on their web site?
Last edited by Ever Ready on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I signed it. Thanks to John Bogle and the bogleheads I'm no longer paying a 1.75% expense ratio. Might retire a wee bit early! Get that puppy signed :sharebeer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I'm signing, but you really need 150,000 signatures to get Whitehouse attention. We probably need to coordinate with some of the more prominent bogleheads to get them to encourage their readers to go sign too. Also, does anyone know Jim Cramer?
I've participated in these petitions before and in several successful social media campaigns (Solar Roadways -- google it).
1) The 150 signatures are key because without that, the petition is not available to the search spiders for ordinary people to find. We have to reach 150 on our own.

2) Petitions that reach significantly fewer than the 100,000 quoted on Whitehouse.gov get responses and review. Among the 20+/- petitions I've signed, they all reached 20,000 and every one got a response from staff or a cabinet member. We don't need to hit 100,000 to get noticed.

3) Jim Cramer and other celebrities are important, but it is not time yet to contact them. Here's why. We can only reach the petition with a direct link. I've asked the petition author to post the short URL that is provided only to the petition author. However, until the petition is on the search engine, a promo on TV or radio is wasted because people can't click a hot link from there. The celebrities know this and will wait until they can mention the item on their show and folks can find it by searching at Whitehouse.gov. So, I would urge folks to hold off contacting celebrities until we reach 150. Then a blast should go out on all fronts.

4) The forum needs to help out by making this thread visible. If this keeps floating to the bottom we've got an impossible job. I was on the forum for hours yesterday and never saw this thread. If I didn't, most won't.
Last edited by LeeMKE on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

I signed it. I'm posting so as to bump this back to the top.

All, please sign and promote: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

LeeMKE wrote: (Solar Roadways -- google it).
Please don't. Solar roadways are a terrible idea...
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

barnaclebob wrote:
LeeMKE wrote: (Solar Roadways -- google it).
Please don't. Solar roadways are a terrible idea...
Let's say on topic here (Getting Jack Bogle the Presidential Medal of Freedom).
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

The above link is the one I signed. It was a peace of cake. Just hit the link. Fill out your name, zip code, and email. Check your email to verify the electronic sig. That's it. No excuses folks!!

Bump to keep this thread visible to others.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
siamond

Re: PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Post by siamond »

+1 (signature)
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

Signed (but not yet counted).

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

signed
JRix

Post by JRix »

Signed!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

Signed it and bumping the thread.
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

Thank you Mr. Bogle. Glad to sign it.
TOM
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
Gropes & Ray

Re: PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by Gropes & Ray »

74 signatures. Just about half-way to the first threshold, then the challenge to hit 100k really starts.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Signed (I think). Just saying so in order to bump the thread up.
powermega

Post by powermega »

Signed!

It would be hard to find a more consequential person who was unquestionably on the side of the average investor than Bogle.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Signed.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Moved to the Bogleheads Community forum, it's not really an investing topic.

I signed the petition. I don't know if petitions can be edited, but if so it should also be noted that he created the first no-load mutual funds, which has lowered costs for countless investors, whether or not they own Vanguard funds Also, technically he didn't create the first index fund. There was an earlier attempt at an index fund by Wells Fargo, but it was only available to institutional investors. He did create the first index fund available to individual investors.
xenial

Post by xenial »

Alex Frakt wrote:. . . I don't know if petitions can be edited, but if so it should also be noted that he created the first no-load mutual funds, which has lowered costs for countless investors, whether or not they own Vanguard funds . . .
Bogle's been weaving his magic for a long time, but not that long. The first no load fund was created in 1928.
rock581

Post by rock581 »

Done. Sharing on facebook and twitter (with a good hashtag) is the way to go.

<edit>
Also pinning this thread on the top of the page would help.
</edit>
R
Van

Post by Van »

Signed.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Signed with great enthusiasm!
Illegitimi non carborundum.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Signed
Best Wishes, | Joe
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Spread the word via email, social media, interested friend and any other way you can to help get Jack this well-deserved honor. Please help get everyone to sign the petition.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Just signed as the 112th person. That leaves 99,888 to go.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
hadron

Post by hadron »

Signed it.
Would be a much deserved honor to a great man.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

We are at 125 right now, on the cusp of reaching 150 in the next two hours.

Right now, we need fellow Bogleheads to sign the petition to get over 150.

Here's the link: http://wh.gov/ibTyb

Once we go over 150, the petition will be on the search engine so other people can find it without having the special link. At that point, we can get to work spreading out from this forum.