SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Fre

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Have you signed the petition yet? Every vote matters.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Any update on our media outreach?

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Gropes & Ray wrote:Any update on our media outreach?
Yes, several national publications and a major web site have said they'd like to help. Let's see how it plays out.

Mr. Meow

Post by Mr. Meow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:17 pm

I just signed.

If you're reading this, go sign: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Just filled out my wife's info. Now well see if she clicks on the link to verify her signature or if she sends it to her spam account. When I start talking about bogleheads stuff, she's pretty much gone.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:Just filled out my wife's info. Now well see if she clicks on the link to verify her signature or if she sends it to her spam account. When I start talking about bogleheads stuff, she's pretty much gone.

I did check with my spouse and my spouse did sign. I feel loved. I was worried to check. My spouse feels that the Bogleheads are misers, more concerned about their money than doing good.

I would have thought that support among Bogleheads for signing this petition would be stronger and that the concensus would be that only good would come of signing up.

I am baffled.

Anybody has an explanation why this thread and signatures are straggling?
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 am

Submitted a post and the petition link at another forum.
I received a message from one of the forum moderators advising that, while meritorious, it still needed to be reviewed under forum guidelines.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 am

I signed a while ago, I had my wife sign today and she asked who is John Bogle... Somebody hasn't been listening very much to my ramblings in the past few years... :?

I redistributed the invite to various folks I know... Fact is I almost never sign petitions, and maybe quite a few folks on this forum don't either and this explains the low number of votes, but in this case, there is really no excuse for not signing.

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:14 am

Come on Bogleheads. Giddy up!
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Wildebeest wrote: I would have thought that support among Bogleheads for signing this petition would be stronger and that the concensus would be that only good would come of signing up.

I am baffled.

Anybody has an explanation why this thread and signatures are straggling?
I believe it's because most Bogleheads haven't seen it posted in this sub forum and don't even know about it.

I did an unscientific, low sample, poll (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=158527) and placed it in the "Theory" sub forum, which lasted 2 hours before LG moved it to it's appropriate section.
In that 2 hours, in the Theory section, there were 36 votes and in the (almost) 4 days since it's been in the "Forum Issues" section, there have only been 15 more.

The results would indicate that the majority of Bogleheads do not even look at this section.

I apologize for the slippery way in which I tried to get people to look at this section, but it was only by PM from another Boglehead that I knew about the petition and I suspected that I wasn't the only one who doesn't come here often.

It appears that I was right.

I agree with Alex, that it would seem to be self serving to display it on the front page, so I tried something I knew the administration would correct. If it alerted 30 or more people to sign the petition, then I guess I can live with my sneakiness.

Except for putting a campaign style sign in my front yard, I'm out of ideas. :mrgreen:
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

LowER

Post by LowER » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Just filled out my wife's info. Now well see if she clicks on the link to verify her signature or if she sends it to her spam account. When I start talking about bogleheads stuff, she's pretty much gone.

I did check with my spouse and my spouse did sign. I feel loved. I was worried to check. My spouse feels that the Bogleheads are misers, more concerned about their money than doing good.

I would have thought that support among Bogleheads for signing this petition would be stronger and that the concensus would be that only good would come of signing up.

I am baffled.

Anybody has an explanation why this thread and signatures are straggling?[/quote]

Bold added by me. If SOMEONE posted about what the Presidential Medal of Honor is, who has won previously and why, I think it would garner far more signatures. I asked my SO to sign and they asked what the medal is for. I recanted Bogle's near-altruistic efforts, and asked again, what is the PMOF and why would someone get it and others not. Well, I work 60-90 hours a week and don't have time to research the details.

Anyone up for the task?

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:02 pm

There are various things recognized, humanitarian acts, philanthropy, arts, I.T, yadayada. *Business and economics assuredly should recognize JackBogle for breaking away from a more than comfortable position at Fidelity, and starting Vanguard to help the common investor get a fair shake from the dubious offerings that wall streets market makers offer there clients. Many firms would not be offering the LOW E.Rs they currently offer if VG had not set the standard low cost ERs for a unmanaged index fund offering(IMO). Heres some nomines
Nomination Date Note
Iorwith Wilbur Abel 1977
Walter Annenberg 1986
Gary Becker 2007
Edgar Bronfman, Sr. 1999
Irving Brown 1988
Warren Buffett 2011 [4]
James E. Burke 2000
Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr. 1988
Peter Drucker 2002
David Dubinsky 1969
Henry Ford II 1969
Milton Friedman 1988
John Kenneth Galbraith 2000
Alan Greenspan 2005
Bryce Harlow 1981
Friedrich von Hayek 1991
Paul G. Hoffman 1974
Edgar Kaiser 1969
Frederick Kappel 1964
Lane Kirkland 1994
Daniel Kahneman 2013 [26]
Estée Lauder 2004
John L. Lewis 1964
J. Willard Marriott 1988 Posthumous award
David Packard 1988
Clarence B. Randall 1963
Walter Reuther 1995 Posthumous award
David Rockefeller 1998
Laurance Rockefeller 1969
James Rouse 1995
Robert Solow 2014
John J. Sweeney 2011 [4]
Dave Thomas 2003 Posthumous award
Tex Thornton 1981
Juan Trippe 1985 Posthumous award
Sam Walton 1992
An Wang 1986
Thomas Watson, Jr. 1964
Andrew Thomas Kearney 1946
Justin Whitlock Dart 1987 Posthumous award
Walter B. Wriston 2004
Muhammad Yunus 2009

Norris

Post by Norris » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm

We're about at the 1000 mark but, unfortunately, still a long way to go. Just wanted to bump this up so hopefully more will sign and who knows, things come to fruition against all odds. But either way, Jack Bogle has been and will remain my hero and I know I'm in some mighty fine company! 8-)

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

VinhoVerde

Post by VinhoVerde » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Fellow Bogleheads:

This is my first post and I want to thank you all of you for the superb advice I've gleaned from this site over the past two to three years as a lurker. It has given me a framework and the clarity of thought to organize my retirement funds with such success that I retired recently.

It was with great interest that I read Mel Lindauer's effort to have Jack Bogle awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I have signed the petition and urge everyone to do likewise. Given the the initial response I am doubtful the 100,000 signature minimum will be reached. However, an equally prestigious award, and one that might be easier to acquire, is the Congressional Gold Medal. The effort will at least double the chances of success. Please read the description of this award below:

The Congressional Gold Medal was initially awarded to military leaders. The first medal, authorized in 1776, was given to George Washington. Following the establishment of new military awards, notably the Medal of Honor, the Congressional Gold Medal was used to recognize achievements in many fields, including world and space exploration, science, medicine, arts, entertainment, and humanitarian and public service.

Congressional Gold Medal legislation is under the jurisdiction of the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services’ Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy, Technology, and Economic Growth and the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

Committee on Financial Services
Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy, Technology, and Economic Growth U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
Tel: (202) 226-0473
[http://financialservices.house.gov]

Current Congressional members of the subcommittee are listed below. If you live in their district please contact them.

Bill Huizenga, Michigan, Chairman

Mick Mulvaney, South Carolina, Vice Chairman

Frank D. Lucas, Oklahoma

Stevan Pearce, New Mexico

Bill Posey, Florida

Lynn A. Westmoreland, Georgia

Marlin A. Stutzman, Indiana

Robert Pittenger, North Carolina

Luke Messer, Indiana

David Schweikert, Arizona

Frank Guinta, New Hampshire

Mia Love, Utah

Jeb Hensarling, Texas, ex officio

Gwen Moore, Wisconsin, Ranking Member

Bill Foster, Illinois

Ed Perlmutter, Colorado

James A. Himes, Connecticut

John C. Carney, Jr., Delaware

Terri A. Sewell, Alabama

Patrick Murphy, Florida

Daniel T. Kildee, Michigan

Denny Heck, Washington

Maxine Waters, California, ex officio

Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-7391

[http://www.banking.senate.gov]

Current committee Senate members are listed below. If you live in any of these states contact them.

Majority Minority
Richard Shelby, Alabama, Chair
Mike Crapo, Idaho
Bob Corker, Tennessee
David Vitter, Louisiana
Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania
Mark Kirk, Illinois
Jerry Moran, Kansas
Tim Scott, South Carolina
Tom Cotton, Arkansas
Mike Rounds, South Dakota
Ben Sasse, Nebraska
Dean Heller, Nevada
Sherrod Brown, Ohio Ranking Member
Jack Reed, Rhode Island
Chuck Schumer, New York
Bob Menendez, New Jersey
Jon Tester, Montana
Mark Warner, Virginia
Jeff Merkley, Oregon
Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts
Heidi Heitkamp, North Dakota
Joe Donnelly, Indiana

Please copy and paste the following link in your browser: <http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongres ... ngress.htm>
This site offers suggestions on how to compose a letter or email with the best chance of success.

Unfortunately I do not reside in any of the districts of the Senators and Congressmen listed, though I plan to contact my Representatives anyway. Local constituents have the the most impact. It is key that constituents of the following Senators or Representatives contact them due to their Pennsylvania residence. It is my theory that the following will respond positively because of the large Vanguard footprint in their districts.

Sen. Pat Toomey-Pennsylvania

Rep. Ryan Castello-6th district PA

Sen. Bob Casey-Pennsylvania

A properly written positive letter ( I would skip the portion of Mel Lindauer's letter that states:" In an industry rarely known for integrity" if you use this as your model) or email carries a lot of weight, particularly if you are a voter in their district. I urge you to take a half an hour of your time out and contact your local representative. Think of how much we all collectively owe Jack Bogle!

VinhoVerde

[quote][/quote]

AlwaysSkeptical

Post by AlwaysSkeptical » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Having problems signing the petition. Hope it clears up quick. Deadline is March 13. Spread the word.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 am

1055 have signed the petition to date. Keep it going. There are over 43000 registered Bogleheads and untold watchers and friends. Time for all to join up.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

EyeDee

Petition for Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by EyeDee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Over 330 new sign ups on March 3, 2015 - maybe things will are starting to take off.
Randy

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Applied my John Hancock. We need MORE signatures!

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: Petition for Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm

EyeDee wrote:.
Over 330 new sign ups on March 3, 2015 - maybe things will are starting to take off.
This Wall Street Journal article by Boglehead Allan Roth definitely helped. viewtopic.php?p=2401081#p2401081

jimcrawford01

Re: Petition for Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by jimcrawford01 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
EyeDee wrote:.
This Wall Street Journal article by Boglehead Allan Roth definitely helped. viewtopic.php?p=2401081#p2401081
I have written to my Congressional person who is on the Committee, urging him to make this happen.

Jim

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Signed with enthusiasm

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Hoi Polloi wrote:Signed with enthusiasm
Hoi Polloi:

Thank you and all the others who want to see our mentor honored with this well-deserved award.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:49 pm

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

At least one of the Bogleheads agreed to contact Senator Warren about this honor for John Bogle, so I'm optimistic that the idea is being whispered and might catch on at the White House.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

Leif

Post by Leif » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm all for it, but I doubt it will happen. Jack just publicly came out in support of the administration's change to the fiduciary standard for advisers. To "some" it may appear fishy, even though Jack has been asking for this for ages.

[OT link removed by admin LadyGeek]

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Bang, signed. Way to build momentum everyone.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:11 pm

2500 signatures. Need way more! Thought this deserved a bump.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:32 pm

thanks for the bump.
Is there a deadline?
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes. March 13th.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:26 am

The petition is closed. Maybe it garnered some positive attention.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:47 am

I would like to thank all Bogleheads who have taken the time to sign the petition for Jack Bogle. Mr. Bogle has done more for the little guy than anyone. We owe it to him to do our part!

Best.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 am

Out of curiously, anyone know about how many signatures were on it when it closed?

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:00 am

I believe close to 3,000.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:39 am

pennstater2005 wrote:I believe close to 3,000.
Only 3,000? given that there are over 43,000 registered on this forum.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."