Hobbies + Free Time

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
mbk734

Hobbies + Free Time

Post by mbk734 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:04 am

How do you spend your free time? I think that hobbies are one of the best things in life. Sometimes it's fun to relax and just do nothing after working a long week, but most of the time hobbies are what makes life fun. What are some of your favorite hobbies?
I am making a list of my favorites and hobbies to try in the future.

Food
Cooking, baking, grilling and eating new foods, old recipes, restaurants, foods from other cultures, experimenting and modifying recipes.

Outdoors
Hiking, Camping, backpacking, sightseeing, gardening
Fishing- deep sea, fly fishing, spin fishing.
Hunting - deer, grouse, archery, target shooting (shotgun, pistol, rifle)

Social
Comedy shows and telling jokes, storytelling, Meeting new people, festivals, parties, Discussing/debating Religion, Politics, etc. , conversation, Playing cards: Euchre, Texas Hold 'em, Bridge, Cribbage, Egyptian Ratscrew, Hearts, games, travelling, road trips, dating, bar hopping

Exercise
Weight lifting, running, swimming, plyometrics
Playing Sports: Basketball, baseball, football, soccer, golf, tennis, lacrosse, hockey, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, disc golf,
Martial arts: judo, karate, ju jitsu, aikido, Wrestling, sumo, (kick)boxing, capoeira
Yoga, meditation, Tai Chi
Winter Sports: Skiing, cross country, backcountry, downhill, snowmobiling, skijoring w/ horse or dog
Water sports: Boating, kayak, jet ski, sailing, Surfing, snorkeling, scuba, Fishing, water ski, wakeboard, stand up paddle board
Motorcycles, Off roading, Jeep/ATV/Dirt Bike, mountain/road biking, roller blades, horseback riding

Educational
Art: drawing, Photography, Reading and Writing about current events (non)fiction, films, learning languages, taking classes, research
Music: playing and listening to new music and old favorites, concerts, Guitar, harmonica, Singing, try new instruments
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

MP173

Re: Hobbies + Free Time

Post by MP173 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 pm

I think you should find some interesting things to do with your spare time.

Seriously, that is a wide pallet of interests. How many of these your active "hobbies"?

My lists of interests includes:
Playing guitar with weekly lessons.
An interest in railroads, both current and historical.
Financial planning and analysis of individual stocks.
Astronomy (including a small 90mmETX scope)
Reading (30 books yearly is the goal)
Biking from April - November.
Stationary biking/workouts @ YMCA from November - April.
Watching NHL, particularly Chicago Blackhawks.

I also enjoy fishing but seldom have time for it, which is a shame as my two adult sons also enjoy it.

The above keeps me very occupied and often ends up in me "renting" certain hobbies and putting others "on the shelf" for awhile. Astronomy falls into that category. A few times yearly I will go out with the scope and absolutely enjoy it, but do not have time for it on an ongoing basis.

Ed

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm

MP173 wrote: Seriously, that is a wide pallet of interests. How many of these your active "hobbies"?
My main "active" hobbies are hiking, cooking, reading, basketball, and guitar. I am trying to make a list of hobbies to try in the future and some of my favorites. I am always looking for new ones.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:43 am

I used to have a wide range of hobbies including reading, hiking, cycling, investing, bird feeding, etc. After kids, I find that I have less free time and concentrated on hobbies that are still compatible. I still do bird feeding and gardening, but not to the extent I used to. I still cook, but is more restrictive in my experimentation because the kids won't eat it. Instead of cooking some interesting unknown dish that sounds interesting, I end up trying to perfect dishes that my family is willing to eat. I would for example try to perfect how to make scramble eggs or pancakes, etc.

Paul

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:08 am

Reading and posting here and there takes a lot of my free time these days.

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:50 am

Get the book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" by Ernie J. Zelinski. It contains a section titled "Get A Life Tree: Options for Retirement" though the ideas can be implemented right away. The activities are broken down by:
- Activities that turn me on now
- Activities that turned me on in the past
- New activities I have thought of doing
- Activities that will get me physically fit
- Travel: Exotic destinations, Visit friends and families, active sports, photo shoots, cruises
Over ~300 activities are listed.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:43 am

1. Family and social
- Family visits
- Visiting friends (in other states and globally)
- Numerous social and topical groups (locally and globally)

2. Travel
- Learning about travel rewards
- Preparations (reading about my destinations, developing approximate itineraries)
- Actual travel

3. Exercise
- Strength and flexibility
- Walking, hiking, backpacking
- Enrolled into Zumba and Mindfulness classes at the local park district

4. Learning
- Books
- MOOCs
- Smithsonian Resident Associates programs
- Started learning Spanish on my own

5. Fine arts
- Smithsonian museums
- Foreign film festivals
- Live theater
- Embassy events

6. Other
- Thinktank lectures and conferences
- Miscellaneous institutions, events and activities in D.C.
- Learning modern computer and communications technologies
- (Future) Writing

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 am

Reading, internet surfing, travel.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Fly fishing of course ....

“To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy”
― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It and Other Stories

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 pm

When I'm not working for money I study music. I also exercise, eat, and sleep expediently. This board is for procrastination when I'm out walking around--not much to add and not much left to change on the investing front, although it does seem good to keep up on things. -- Tet

msj16

Post by msj16 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Reading, Playing the piano, personal finance, travel and my new hobby - netflix streaming!

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Went ice climbing this morning. I think I've probably got 20 or 30 hobbies and not enough time to do them all. I've had to combine exercise and hobbies as much as possible since I don't have time to do both.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course