Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
jcchen

Re: Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter (MA)

Post by jcchen »

I am bit concerned about the lunch cost, with the special group menu and potential room fee. It seems like the cost could be $30+, which is about double the normal menu. As a boglehead, I am a bit leery of extra fees and 'special' prices.

So, I would prefer choice 1.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

I'm not going to make this one, going to be traveling that week. Hope everyone has a good time!
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

Option 2 works best for us as well.
We look forward to seeing everyone.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

jcchen wrote:I am bit concerned about the lunch cost, with the special group menu and potential room fee. It seems like the cost could be $30+, which is about double the normal menu. As a boglehead, I am a bit leery of extra fees and 'special' prices.

Well, choice #1 would actually be slightly more expensive, as the restaurant costs wouldn't change, and the Waltham library does charge a small fee ($30) for its meeting rooms. Also the restaurant is quite cheap for the area, and parking will be free. So overall, plan#2 seems a reasonable deal. Still, your point is well taken, and next time, I'll try to optimize a bit better.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Timoneer wrote:
siamond wrote:Folks,
So we have TWO choices:

Plan 1: park near the restaurant, meet at 10am at the public library (intros, formal presentation & open discussion), walk back to the restaurant around noon, have lunch, continue with informal small group discussions if you so desire.

Plan 2: go straight to the restaurant, start at 11:30am with some introductions, quickly followed by lunch, and start a more formal meeting in the same room around 1:30pm or so.

Feedback?[/b]
Definitely Plan 2.
Plan 2 as well, yes.
gabriel1970

Post by gabriel1970 »

jcchen wrote:I am bit concerned about the lunch cost, with the special group menu and potential room fee. It seems like the cost could be $30+, which is about double the normal menu. As a boglehead, I am a bit leery of extra fees and 'special' prices.

I am more than a bit concerned about the lunch cost. For the next meeting every participant should order his/her own food and pay his/her own bill.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

gabriel1970 wrote:

I am more than a bit concerned about the lunch cost. For the next meeting every participant should order his/her own food and pay his/her own bill.
Well, restaurants do mandate group menus for large groups. But aside from that, please help me understand the concern?
- the group menu has plenty of choices, ranging from $17 to $28, including salad, entree, coffee/tea and dessert. Say $20 for a regular meal.
- the private room fee (Wine room) is certainly significant, but $75 divided by say 25 attendees, this is a meager $3 per person (including screen/easel for free)
- add sales tax and 18% gratuity, and you end up at less than $30, for a full menu, a private room available for 4 hours with equipment, and free parking.
- which is roughly what we paid last time per attendee, without a proper meeting room.

Ordering independently (if it were possible) wouldn't be that different. Chicken Cutlet Parmigiana + Side Salad = $14. Add dessert and coffee, and you'll easily get to $20. Then the tax/gratuity is the same.

I am not pushing back, just please help me understand the concern as this seems a pretty decent deal to me. If people have a big problem with the room fee, then I'll pay for it myself as I think it's worth it to have a private room... But honestly, I wasn't expecting an issue. I could try to look for something cheaper, but this is likely hard to find in this area.
gabriel1970

Post by gabriel1970 »

siamond wrote: I am not pushing back, just please help me understand the concern as this seems a pretty decent deal to me. If people have a big problem with the room fee, then I'll pay for it myself as I think it's worth it to have a private room... But honestly, I wasn't expecting an issue. I could try to look for something cheaper, but this is likely hard to find in this area.
This is not a topic worth spending a lot of time (or money) on, so I would not post on this topic again. The best way to put it is probably that, I simply can not afford $30+ lunch. That amount is my lunch budget for a week. For the July 2014 meeting in the same restaurant, everyone ordered and paid for their own meal, no add-on charge. It seemed to have worked well. Although honestly, for the food I ordered in that gathering, I could get for half of what I paid somewhere else. But for the benefit of attending the meeting, it was worth the price.

For the March 2015 meeting it was different. I communicated to you up front I will order and pay my own meal. You simply ignored me.

For the up coming meeting, if a restaurant would not accept the request of every guest ordering and paying for themselves, we could find another one. I would be glad to make this effort if you want me to.

Having said the above, I appreciate your effort to organize the up coming meeting.
rikki

Post by rikki »

Option 2 for me, which allows more time for my drive.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Ok, the feedback is very clear, plan #2, it is. To summarize, we'll meet on Saturday May the 30th:

- social lunch AND formal meeting in Waltham, at an Italian restaurant called "Chateau Restaurant" (free parking, close to public transportation) - 195 School Street
=> see: http://www.chateaurestaurant.com/waltham and see the group menu here: http://www.chateaurestaurant.com/pdf/me ... Plated.pdf

- we'll start at 11:30AM, do some introductions, then social group lunch until around 1:30pm - plan for a $25 to $30 budget per attendee (please bring cash)

- formal meeting (1:30 to 3:30pm): we'll have a couple of presentations and corresponding open discussions (still working on it, will share agenda soon)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for our coming meeting on May the 30th in Waltham.

See logistics here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152268&p=2479142#p2471598

Here is a list of individuals who gave me a very clear indication that they are going to come:
  • siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
And here is a list of individuals who are interested, but they may not be 100% committed to come yet:
  • CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    jojay
    timoneer
    PH12
    positive
Please post on this thread or e-mail me if you'd like to be on one of those lists (or move from one to the other).
Last edited by siamond on Thu May 14, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoshimi

Post by yoshimi »

Checking in -- I can't make it. Will stay in the interested but tentative/pending schedule etc, for future meetings.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

I plan to attend.
rikki

Post by rikki »

I am planning to attend. I appreciate the attention to detail!

Rachel
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Change of plans in the family calendar and i cannot make that date work for me. Have fun!
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

siamond wrote:Let's start a roll call for our coming meeting on May the 30th. Here is a list of individuals who gave me a very clear indication that they are going to come:
  • siamond
    chabil
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    rikki
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R (x2)
    rob
    xystici
And here is a list of individuals who seem interested, but they may not be 100% committed to come yet:
  • yoshimi
    volkdancer
    CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    wellfleet
    jojay
Please post on this thread if you'd like to be on one of those lists (or move from one to the other).
Sorry did not see this. Please cancel my name, i cannot make it.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Updated roll call for our coming meeting on May the 30th in Waltham.

Here is a list of individuals who gave me a clear indication that they are going to come:
  • siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
And here is a list of individuals who are interested, but not 100% committed yet:
  • CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    jojay
    timoneer
    PH12
    positive
Please post on this thread or e-mail me if you'd like to be on one of those lists (or move from one to the other).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

siamond wrote:Updated roll call for our coming meeting on May the 30th in Waltham.

Here is a list of individuals who gave me a clear indication that they are going to come:
  • siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
And here is a list of individuals who are interested, but not 100% committed yet:
  • CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    jojay
    timoneer
    PH12
    positive
Does Boston have a Schrodinger's jojay?

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Ok, smarty scrubs got me here... :wink: Here is a corrected list.

• siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
  • CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    timoneer
    PH12
    positive
artibug

Post by artibug »

I would like to come but working that weekend. Will some kind soul to add me to the list for future meetings and the notes for the meeting please?
xystici

Post by xystici »

Siamond,
I completed the lunch survey and I am planning on attending.
Thanks for coordinating.
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

Sadly, a last minute family obligation has popped up- so we can't make it.
(Nothing serious, just need to travel with my elderly father).
rob

Post by rob »

Yo... Yes (as per email I answerd the survey and confirmed but posting here anyway :-) ).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
gauravn

Post by gauravn »

@siamond Please add me to the 100% not committed list.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

siamond wrote:Ok, smarty scrubs got me here... :wink: Here is a corrected list.

• siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    Mr-et-Mrs-R
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
  • CPA without a cause
    timoneer
    ivyhedge
    timoneer
    PH12
    positive
Looks like a nice group for your next meeting. My best regards to all the Metro Boston Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Johnny Sharp

Post by Johnny Sharp »

Hi -- Please add me and a +1 to the list for those who definitely plan to attend.

Thanks for organizing!
--John

siamond wrote:Ok, smarty scrubs got me here... :wink: Here is a corrected list.

Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Thanks, Mel.

• siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
    timoneer
  • CPA without a cause
    ivyhedge
    PH12
    positive
    gauravn
Please post on this thread or e-mail me if you'd like to be on one of those lists (or move from one to the other). I need to get a solid assessment by May 25th (restaurant's request).
Morik

Post by Morik »

I am interested, but can't commit 100% yet. When do you need a 100% commit by? (Or do you not need a 100% commit and I can just show up or not?)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Morik wrote:I am interested, but can't commit 100% yet. When do you need a 100% commit by? (Or do you not need a 100% commit and I can just show up or not?)
If you figure out that you can commit before the 25th, then please post an update or tell me ASAP, this would be appreciated. Otherwise, please tell me whenever you figure it out, even if it's last minute.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

I just finalized the logistics with the restaurant. We do have quite a few spare seats, so please do NOT hesitate to bring other interested parties (spouse/partner, sibling, friend, etc). Just please tell me in advance, e-mail or PM or post. See you on Saturday at 11:30. Please be on time, we'll start the lunch at 11:45.

---------------------

• siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    gatorking
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
    timoneer
    Johnny Sharp (x2)
    CPA without a cause
    morik
  • PH12
    positive
    gauravn
Please post on this thread or e-mail me for any update.
juntas

Post by juntas »

Hi,
I'm new to the chapter (just joined today). I would like to attend this saturday's meeting. if space is still available, PM me :happy .
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

juntas wrote: I'm new to the chapter (just joined today). I would like to attend this saturday's meeting. if space is still available, PM me :happy .
juntas, I did PM you (and asked you a few questions myself).

Bottomline: yes, we do have quite some spare seats, additional participants would be very welcome.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

We do have multiple spare seats, so please do NOT hesitate to bring other interested parties (spouse/partner, sibling, friend, etc). See you this Saturday at 11:30. Please be on time, we'll start the lunch at 11:45.

---------------------
Final roll call for our coming meeting on May the 30th in Waltham. Any mistake or change, please let me know.
  • siamond
    positive
    gabriel1970
    The Wizard
    rob
    xystici
    wellfleet
    rikki
    jojay
    timoneer
    Johnny Sharp
    CPA without a cause
    morik
    juntas
    PH12
gscook3

Post by gscook3 »

Also a relatively new joiner to the board (although have been lurking for a bit longer) - would love to attend given that there appear to still be some extra slots.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

gscook3 wrote:Also a relatively new joiner to the board (although have been lurking for a bit longer) - would love to attend given that there appear to still be some extra slots.
By all means, do come! (and please check your Private Messages)
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

Thank you Siamond for hosting a excellent lunch on Saturday!

Good food, conversation and presentations were had by all (me at least).

About 20 Bogleheads were in attendance ages 25ish-70?

Lots of optimism and few hot tips.

$30 for financial planning well spent.

:sharebeer :sharebeer
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Ok, back to you guys... Based on some feedback I received, the May-15 meeting went really well, except that 4 hours (lunch + two talks) was a bit long. Also the talks might not have been fully relevant for the younger crowd. And $30 was a bit much for some attendees. Since we're getting to know each other a bit better, I am thinking that maybe we could alternate formats quarterly, e.g.
- social lunch + one talk
- no lunch + two talks

Which means that next time (e.g. end of August, say Saturday Aug 29th), we would skip the social lunch, and have two talks. I volunteer to keep going on withdrawal methods, and we need a volunteer to do something for the younger crowd, something accumulation-oriented.

Feedback?
juntas

Post by juntas »

First of all, thanks siamond for pulling together the last event. It was a wonderful experience meet with folks who are @ different stages of the investing lifecycle.

As regards the next meet, my preference would be for 1 presentation with Q&A + something like "ask the group" if anybody wants to crowd source opinions on a question they had in mind (which could spawn of a discussion by itself :) ). In total, I would like to budget a max of 2hours for the meet.
etarini

Post by etarini »

I like the two-topic plan for this next meeting.

If we don't eat, where will this be held?

Eric
rikki

Post by rikki »

I agree that it was a fruitful and enjoyable meeting, but a bit long for the middle of the day. As it was my first time attending I did not know what to expect.

I would vote to have one presentation, and plenty of time for a question and answer format (?submit a question ahead of time). The venue could be at a member's home, with or without a potluck dinner, or just coffee and tea. Extra folding chairs could be brought by those attending (I would volunteer to host--apartment is on the Somerville/Cambridge line). Alternatively we could reserve a meeting room at one of the YMCAs or one of the area colleges??
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

About the location, we promised to do something in the south of Boston next time (and then something NH-friendly for the following time, I guess), so let's see if we can make it happen, reserving a room at a library or police station, or equivalent.

Juntas, your 'ask the group' idea is intriguing.

Please keep the feedback coming.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Wasn't able to make the last meetup, but I like the idea of alternating formats.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Tentative plan: Norwood Public Library, 2PM to 4:30PM, Saturday Aug 29th. Two talks, no lunch.

Trying to make it friendly for the south of Boston crew, while remaining accessible to the rest of the contingent... I was originally aiming at Dedham, but its library is closed during week-ends (!). Needham's library is expensive and has a weird liability policy. Westwood doesn't seem to have a proper room.

Norwood's conference room is spacious, with all necessary video equipment, and free for non-profits, so it seems worth it to go a little bit out of the way. Reservation pending, will confirm.

*** EDIT *** Well, Norwood doesn't work, they decided to close on Saturdays during the summer, budget issues... Back to square 1... :|
juntas

Post by juntas »

Would natick work for the group? They are open 10a-2p on saturdays.
Morik

Post by Morik »

I've been to non-MIT affiliated events at MIT in the past, presumably arranged by someone affiliated with MIT (though maybe they also let arbitrary groups book space)?

I wonder if that is an option?

(Looks like someone affiliated could sponser the group? http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/reserving-space.html
Do we have any MIT affiliated people who would want to do so? Would this location work for everyone?)
juntas

Post by juntas »

juntas wrote:Would natick work for the group? They are open 10a-2p on saturdays.
So, a meeting room that seats upto 30 people (with ceiling mounted projector and screen, VGA or HDMI hookup) is currently available @ the natick library for Aug 29th. The charge is $10/hr.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Natick is metrowest and we are trying to go more southerly this time.
If someone south shore over to Route 1 can find us a good venue, I think the inclination is to go with that.
Otherwise yes, Natick could be the winnah...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

I'm a bit busy with some other stuff nowadays, but I'll find a venue, no worry.

Please just mark Saturday Aug 29th in your calendars for now.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Tentative schedule: Saturday August 29th, 2pm to 5pm (or maybe 1pm to 4pm). Intent this time was to find a south-friendly location.

Format of the meeting: two formal talks (one on accumulation, one on distribution/retirement), and open discussions. No lunch this time.

About the location... I spend several hours doing Web searches and making phone calls, and there was always something wrong (library or room closed or renovated during the summer, room only available for local residents, date not available, etc)... :shock:

I ended up with two possible choices (both properly video-equipped), no more:
1. the Canton Public Library, well located to be 'south-friendly', but really expensive, as we need to pay a custodian to be there during week-end hours, in addition to the steep room fee (yup, most of those library rooms aren't free any more)
2. the Wellesley Public Library, more central (in a very scenic town), a bit less 'south-friendly', and way cheaper.

For choice #1, I will need to ask for a participation of $10 to $15, depending on the number of attendees. For choice #2, I will need $5 at most (might actually end up being less). Feedback please.
juntas

Post by juntas »

If I were attending, I would go with wellesley.