Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Silence Dogood

Re: Master Thread for Boston's Chapter (MA)

Postby Silence Dogood » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I would like to be able to give a definitive answer about this..but I cannot. If I do go, I would likely bring along my girlfriend with me.

If I'm not there, I hope everyone has a great time.

Dinerosaurus

Postby Dinerosaurus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 pm

If it's not too late to add my name to the list, I would love to join on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting everyone (and if I am too late, hope to meet you all at the next one)!

crg11

Postby crg11 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:17 pm

We're still several days out, but the weather seems like it will hold up: http://forecast.io/#/f/42.5050,-71.1950/1425099600

siamond

Postby siamond » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Boston's chapter next meeting will be on Feb 28th, starting at noon, at the Burtons Grill in Burlington: http://site.burtonsgrill.com/stores/burlington-ma/

Current running list (15 attendees):
    siamond
    mikef40320
    zelda
    marielake
    bh10
    crg11
    chabil
    wellfleet
    timoneer
    etarini
    The Wizard
    dlord88
    Dinerosaurus
    Silence Dogood and girlfriend (tentative)
Please add your name if you're thinking to come. LAST CALL! :beer

(and to answer TheRightKost87's question, yes, I will collect e-mails and follow The Wizard's suggestion)

beachplum

Postby beachplum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm

I can't figure out how to add my name to the list, so I will post here that I will try to attend this Saturday so please add me to the list.

thanks,

beachplum

Mr-et-Mrs-R

Postby Mr-et-Mrs-R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Let me talk with Mrs. R, and see what her schedule is like, but, yes, it would be good to join.

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Boston's chapter next meeting will be on Feb 28th, starting at noon, at the Burtons Grill in Burlington: http://site.burtonsgrill.com/stores/burlington-ma/

Current running list (18 attendees):
    siamond
    mikef40320
    zelda
    marielake
    bh10
    crg11
    chabil
    wellfleet
    timoneer
    etarini
    The Wizard
    dlord88
    Dinerosaurus
    beachplum
    Mr-et-Mrs-R (both of them, tentative)
Please post here if you're thinking to come. LAST CALL! :beer

beachplum

Postby beachplum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:33 pm

siamond wrote:Boston's chapter next meeting will be on Feb 28th, starting at noon, at the Burtons Grill in Burlington: http://site.burtonsgrill.com/stores/burlington-ma/

Current running list (18 attendees):
    siamond
    mikef40320
    zelda
    marielake
    bh10
    crg11
    chabil
    wellfleet
    timoneer
    etarini
    The Wizard
    dlord88
    Dinerosaurus
    beachplum
Please post here if you're thinking to come. LAST CALL! :beer

Please add one more to beach plum for a total of two, Mr. beach plum wants to come.

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Current running list (19 attendees):
    siamond
    mikef40320
    zelda
    marielake
    bh10
    crg11
    chabil
    wellfleet
    timoneer
    etarini
    The Wizard
    dlord88
    Dinerosaurus
    beachplum (Mr and Mrs)
Please post here if you're thinking to come. We may have room for a couple more. LAST CALL! :beer

siamond

Postby siamond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm

To ease the logistics of ordering (and maximize discussion time!) for a large group of 20-ish people, the restaurant suggested a menu with limited options. We'll also share a platter of desserts, for the same reason. They assured me that if somebody has dietary restrictions (e.g. vegetarian, etc), they can order as they wish from the main menu, as long as the bulk of the group does proceed with the limited menu. Would be good if you could tell me by PM if you will elect to do so (not use the limited menu), so that the restaurant can properly plan quantities in advance.

Also, if somebody indicated that they'll come, but has to bail out, then please tell me too.

Here is the group menu, I hope this will be ok for everyone:

chabil

Postby chabil » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:57 pm

first, Siamond, thank you so much for organizing this.
i was looking at their lunch menu earlier and had my heart set on the fish tacos.
i am wondering if they would consider substituting that for the cod, if that is ok with others.

siamond

Postby siamond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 pm

chabil wrote:first, Siamond, thank you so much for organizing this.
i was looking at their lunch menu earlier and had my heart set on the fish tacos.
i am wondering if they would consider substituting that for the cod, if that is ok with others.

Thanks, Chabil. Well, it is probably a bit late to change the group menu. But hey, maybe we can say that you have a dietary restriction and you can only eat tacos and you have to stay the course... :wink: More seriously, I expect that they'll accept a couple of exceptions as long as most of the group goes with their menu.

jcchen

Postby jcchen » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 am

I would like to attend, too, if it is not too late.

siamond

Postby siamond » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:14 am

Current running list (20 attendees):
    siamond
    mikef40320
    zelda
    marielake
    bh10
    crg11
    chabil
    wellfleet
    timoneer
    etarini
    The Wizard
    dlord88
    Dinerosaurus
    beachplum (Mr and Mrs)
    jcchen
Please send me a PM if you have dietary restrictions, or if you changed your plans and can't come after all.

As a side note, I'm thinking to have a rotating chairs scheme of sorts before dessert, to change neighbors. Still need to think about the mechanics, but this would help increasing the number of people one will interact with. We did something like that during group dinners at work, and I always found it very effective.

Spirit Rider

Postby Spirit Rider » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 am

So, is it too late to get in on this. I just found this thread circuitously via a recent post on a NH/Maine chapter thread.

As it turns out, I am a lot closer to Burlington than I am to Maine.

Silence Dogood

Postby Silence Dogood » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Unfortunately I will not be able to make this meeting.

Hopefully I'll make it to the next meeting and see all of you then. I hope everyone has a great time!

Silence Dogood

Postby Silence Dogood » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 am

Spirit Rider wrote:So, is it too late to get in on this. I just found this thread circuitously via a recent post on a NH/Maine chapter thread.

I'm sure they would be happy to have you. You might want to run it by siamond though since he is doing the planning for this. Try sending him a PM if he doesn't respond in the morning.

siamond

Postby siamond » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:52 am

Spirit Rider wrote:So, is it too late to get in on this. I just found this thread circuitously via a recent post on a NH/Maine chapter thread.

Not too late, we still have a couple of spare seats, so by all means, please come.

crg11

Postby crg11 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:29 am

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

dlord88

Postby dlord88 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 am

Unfortunately, I had to put my car in the shop yesterday and will have no way of making it (unless someone is driving in from the Brookline/Chestnut Hill Area and wants some gas $$). Please keep me updated on the next meeting date.

zelda

Postby zelda » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 am

Ugh, won't be able to make it either (already PM'd).

Everyone, have a great time! Please report back :)

Wellfleet

Postby Wellfleet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:49 am

dlord88 wrote:Unfortunately, I had to put my car in the shop yesterday and will have no way of making it (unless someone is driving in from the Brookline/Chestnut Hill Area and wants some gas $$). Please keep me updated on the next meeting date.

There must have been a ban for attendees from this area. I got sick Friday night and was too sick to even visit the website this weekend! I would have been happy to carpool.

siamond

Postby siamond » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:55 am

We missed a few folks (hope you're feeling better, Wellfleet), but we did have a strong showing at our Metro Boston Bogleheads lunch last Saturday, with 17 attendees. The intent was primarily social for this round, and I think this worked quite well. Great idea from Mr R to play 'musical chairs' before dessert.

Image Image
Last edited by siamond on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

siamond

Re: Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter (MA)

Postby siamond » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 am

Suhail suggested a great plan for next time, some group discussion time first (spend a couple of hours in a quiet location, have a formal presentation or two, and trigger solid discussion), and some social time next (lunch somewhere). And you pick and choose, whether you like to do both, or just the discussion time or just the social time. I really like it, and from the feedback I got from a few of you, this does seem excellent. Also I'll get printed badges and lanyards (like Wizard did for himself), this will be much better than those stickers to identify ourselves. We'll probably do it end of May, and stick to a quarterly routine of sorts. Feedback welcome.

PS. to better reflect the geographical location of attendees, I think we should rename our chapter 'Metro Boston'. And I am assembling a roster and an e-mail list to be more effective for next meetings notifications (all credits to The Wizard for this suggestion).

fitinvestor

Postby fitinvestor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:35 am

I was thinking about these topics for our up coming meetings. Your thoughts Please?

The Bogleheads Philosophy

1. Develop a workable plan
2. Invest early and often
3. Never bear too much or too little risk
4.Never try to time the market
5. Use index funds when possible
6. Keep costs low
7. Diversify
8. Minimize taxes
9. Keep it simple
10.Stay the course

We can have two or three sessions for every meeting:

1. Any topic from above (one hour)
2. Q&A ( One hour)
3. 1-on-1 Portfolio review or Coaching (one hour) ( Hands on)

chabil

Postby chabil » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

fitinvestor wrote:I was thinking about these topics for our up coming meetings. Your thoughts Please?

The Bogleheads Philosophy

1. Develop a workable plan
2. Invest early and often
3. Never bear too much or too little risk
4.Never try to time the market
5. Use index funds when possible
6. Keep costs low
7. Diversify
8. Minimize taxes
9. Keep it simple
10.Stay the course

We can have two or three sessions for every meeting:

2. Q&A ( One hour)

great list. although not specific to boglehead philosophy, i think it will be useful also to discuss boglehead way of:
Tax Loss Harvesting
Gifting
Wills, Estates, and Trusts - DIY and otherwise.
Charitable giving to minimize taxes
Specific Vanguard funds and how it fits into your portfolio
The above can be subdivided into Bond, Equity, REITS funds, ETFs
Tax Planning
Re-balancing portfolio
Retirement and Tax

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

So we're thinking of two different venues for next time?
Most public libraries have meeting rooms that can be reserved. Best to have a town resident set that up I'm guessing.

And my name badge was recycled from last October's BH13 conference, of course. Best to have both real name and BH name on those...
Attempted new signature...

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:42 am

The Wizard wrote:So we're thinking of two different venues for next time?
Most public libraries have meeting rooms that can be reserved. Best to have a town resident set that up I'm guessing.

Yup, exactly my thinking, but I'll drive to visit ahead of time.

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 am

fitinvestor wrote:We can have two or three sessions for every meeting:

2. Q&A ( One hour)

Thanks a lot for your creative ideas, fitinvestor.

In order to not make the meeting too long, I'd suggest to spend two hours of group work, then one to two hours of lunch/social. Now two hours can go pretty fast between presentation(s) of sorts to kick things up, and lively discussions. I wonder if we should pick two topics, spend one hour on each, or be more thorough and just focus on one single topic for the whole 2 hours? There are pros & cons both ways... We could also view the lunch as an extension of the discussion time, of course, while not forgetting to be social!

As to item#3, I'd suggest that this might be better achieved outside the context of the group meeting. The group meeting is properly a great way to identify experienced people willing to help for such review/coaching, but then just do it another day on a 1:1 basis. Am I making sense? And, by the way, to the extent of my limited knowledge, I'd be happy to help for a couple of such reviews.

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Checked my local library and it is indeed easy to reserve a (free of charge) conference room. Except that this is in high demand and needs to be planned well in advance, at least 2 months.

Let me put a stake in the ground. Say we meet Saturday May 30th, starting at 10am. In roughly 3 months (previous week-end is Memorial day, doesn't seem right; and I can't do it early June, due to a fishing trip!). Is there a good reason for which this wouldn't work for the majority of people?

ivyhedge

Postby ivyhedge » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 am

siamond wrote:Let me put a stake in the ground. Say we meet Saturday May 30th, starting at 10am. In roughly 3 months (previous week-end is Memorial day, doesn't seem right; and I can't do it early June, due to a fishing trip!). Is there a good reason for which this wouldn't work for the majority of people?

Thank you for reviewing libraries as venues.

I caution that meetings in excess of three hours' length, regardless of how captivating and energetic they might be at the start, could drag by their end.

The date you suggested will likely be fine for us (2).
Polymath.

siamond

Postby siamond » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 am

Yes, agreed, two hours of formal time, plus lunch, this is already a lot.

Actually, I was swapping e-mails with Etarini, and he made me think to something. Say we pick ONE topic. Say we try to line up TWO presenters, providing a different perspective on the topic. We give 30 minutes to each presenter (plus a few minutes for clarifying questions). Then we have ~ 30 minutes for an open discussion (assuming we start the meeting with greetings and 15 minutes of introduction of all attendees). And then lunch. Would this work as a format?

xystici

Postby xystici » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 am

This is in response to Jerome's email. Sat. May 30 is good for me. It is in my calendar and blocked. I like the format proposed below with two presenters and open discussion. I might not attend lunch depending afternoon activities. Thanks a lot for coordinating.
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"

siamond

Postby siamond » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Some folks gave me feedback by e-mail as well:
- So far, nobody has an issue with the suggested date (May 30th) and the discussion+lunch format, so we'll probably stick to it.
- South Boston location: Stoughton was suggested, using either the police station or the library conference room. Feedback and/or other ideas welcome.

As to the possible topics for discussion, here is the list so far:
- "key considerations by age panel" what should a 20-100 year old have thought about by that point.
- Social Security
- Withdrawal strategies

siamond

Postby siamond » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:29 am

Since nobody suggested another idea than Stoughton, and since reservations for public conference rooms have to be done WAY in advance, it seems time to proceed.

I swapped e-mails with Moshe last night, he will investigate further, and see if we can make a reservation soon, and secure our spot. He also told me that parking shouldn't be a problem in this area. As to the restaurant, we have more time for this, but there are multiple choices nearby. Thanks for your help, Moshe.

siamond

Postby siamond » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Folks,

We have a bit of a change for our coming Metro-Boston meeting. We no longer have an opportunity to meet in Stoughton, as the local helper can't make it. I had to rush a bit as public conference rooms need to be reserved way in advance. Here is what we're going to do:

1. postpone our visit to South Boston by one quarter (do it next time, Aug/Sep) - apologies to the few folks who are located out there, but without a local helper, it is hard for me to organize things properly. We'll get to it, promise.

2. move our May 30th meeting to the Waltham Public Library in the morning (gathering at 9:45, starting at 10am), and then a local restaurant to be determined for lunch. It's a very nice area, plenty of options for food and walking around.
http://www.waltham.lib.ma.us/hours_directions.php

3. This should have the nice side-effect of accommodating the few folks from Boston who do not have a car, as it is reasonably easy to come via public transportation.

4. we'll be a tad constrained space-wise though, as I couldn't secure the large room. 25 attendees seems like the maximum.

Sorry for the somewhat abrupt change, but I had to move fast to secure a room. Feedback and questions welcome.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Waltham should be fine.
If we have anyone who's carless, we can pick them up at Riverside green line station...

yoshimi

Postby yoshimi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi! I'm a long-time intermittent lurker -- would be interested in coming if schedule allows.
:)

CPA without a cause

Postby CPA without a cause » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:45 pm

longtime lurker as well, I would be interested in coming to the May 30 meetup

rikki

Postby rikki » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Hello and another member here wishing to participate (western MA).
August/September in Waltham with the format suggested sounds wonderful!
Thanks to those who have jumped in to help organize this chapter.

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 pm

rikki wrote:Hello and another member here wishing to participate (western MA).
August/September in Waltham with the format suggested sounds wonderful!
Thanks to those who have jumped in to help organize this chapter.

Well the May 30th meeting is in Waltham, yes, but the one after that, who knows.
I think we're trying to move them around the 128/95 area so that the same people don't always have the longest commute...

siamond

Postby siamond » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Yes, Wizard is exactly right. I tallied the towns for all potential participants, and will try to vary meeting locations accordingly, over time.

PS. the August meeting will likely be in the South of Boston - since this was the original for this round, and we had to postpone. But well, plenty of time, we'll see what happens.

siamond

Postby siamond » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Folks,

I finally spent time pondering about the restaurant for our meeting May 30th (Waltham). I was originally thinking to go to the area near the river, plenty of restaurants out there, but this might be a bit too much walking for our older members, plus it's a pain to park out there, and prices are a bit steep. So I tried to find something closer to the public library, and found an old and spacious Italian restaurant, called "The Chateau", where there are various private rooms, a LOT of parking space, and a group menu that looks cheap, with many choices, and fairly decent. The decorum is old-fashioned, and actually quite nice. So I reserved one of the private rooms. Check here: http://www.chateaurestaurant.com/waltham and see the group menu here: http://www.chateaurestaurant.com/pdf/menus/WalthamPlated.pdf

Now this makes me re-think the whole plan, as those restaurant private rooms can ALSO be used as meeting rooms (easel and projector screen available), and the reservation time is fixed, from 11:30am to 3:30pm. So we have TWO choices:

Plan 1: park near the restaurant, meet at 10am at the public library (intros, formal presentation & open discussion), walk back to the restaurant around noon, have lunch, continue with informal small group discussions if you so desire.

Plan 2: go straight to the restaurant, start at 11:30am with some introductions, quickly followed by lunch, and start a more formal meeting in the same room around 1:30pm or so.

Pros & Cons...
- library meeting room is more modern and more pleasant, BUT is small (15 to 20 seats at most, others will have to stand up, could get crowded)
- restaurant meeting room is more spacious (up to 32 people, could even switch to a 40 persons room if needs be), but darker and... will smell of food!

- staying in the same place eases the logistics for sure, although it's really a short walk (and a nice break) between the library and the restaurant

- formal meeting before lunch sounds better to have people more actively involved, kind of hard to pay attention right after lunch
- on the other hand, it may be more convenient for some of you to come by 11:30am instead of 10am, notably if you live far from Waltham

Overall, if the library meeting room was more spacious, I'd go for Plan 1, but with the space constraint, I'm leaning towards Plan 2. So far, I have both rooms reserved, so options are open... Feedback?

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Plan 2 works for me, partly for the selfish reason that I have some other things I usually do on Saturday mornings...

rob

Postby rob » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey, You guys mind another person in the group? I should be able to make the 30th.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:37 pm

rob wrote:Hey, You guys mind another person in the group? I should be able to make the 30th.

Make sure Siamond has your email address one way or another...

siamond

Postby siamond » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 am

Volkdancer

Postby Volkdancer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 am

I would opt for choice #2 because that time of day there just might be a tremendous downpour just as one is walking from the library to the restaurant. And I rather like the smell of Italian food. Karl V

xystici

Postby xystici » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:49 am

Plan #2 also for selfish reasons.
I am coaching soccer in the morning and I will not make it on time for Plan #1.
Thanks for organizing. Restaurant looks great.
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"

Timoneer

Postby Timoneer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 pm

siamond wrote:Folks,
So we have TWO choices:

Plan 1: park near the restaurant, meet at 10am at the public library (intros, formal presentation & open discussion), walk back to the restaurant around noon, have lunch, continue with informal small group discussions if you so desire.

Plan 2: go straight to the restaurant, start at 11:30am with some introductions, quickly followed by lunch, and start a more formal meeting in the same room around 1:30pm or so.

Feedback?[/b]

Definitely Plan 2.

Return to “Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community”