RTP, NC Chapter Meeting Noon Friday January 16, 2015

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Steve Thorpe

RTP, NC Chapter Meeting Noon Friday January 16, 2015

Post by Steve Thorpe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Hello RTP Bogleheads®,

Meeting 22 of the Research Triangle Park Bogleheads® has been scheduled for Noon Friday January 16, 2015. This meeting will be hosted at Duke University in collaboration with our local chapter member, Economics Professor Ed Tower.

Duke's Sociology/Psychology Building Room 130 (also known as Zener Auditorium)
417 Chapel Drive, Durham, NC 27708
Google Map
I would generally recommend parking in the Bryan Center pay lot then walking to the Soc Psych building. Professor Tower indicated there is also a parking deck off Trent Drive that may be about the same distance. Parking at Duke can sometimes be difficult so it would probably be best to allow plenty of extra time - you won't want to be late!

Agenda

1. Meeting starts promptly at 12 Noon

2. Special Guest via Video Conference: John C. Bogle
The main event of this meeting is a guest appearance by our group's namesake, John C. (Jack) Bogle, who has kindly agreed to join us via Video Conference.

John C. Bogle, 85, is Founder of The Vanguard Group, Inc., and President of the Bogle Financial Markets Research Center. He created Vanguard in 1974 and served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer until 1996 and Senior Chairman until 2000. He had been associated with a predecessor company since 1951, immediately following his graduation from Princeton University, magna cum laude in Economics. He is a graduate of Blair Academy, Class of 1947.

Mr. Bogle is a best-selling author of many books, including:
• Bogle on Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor (1993)
• Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor (1999)
• John Bogle on Investing: The First 50 Years (2000)
• Character Counts: The Creation and Building of The Vanguard Group (2002)
• Battle for the Soul of Capitalism (2005)
• The Little Book of Common Sense Investing (2007)
• Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life (2008)
• Common Sense on Mutual Funds, Fully Updated 10th Anniversary Edition (2009)
• Don't Count On It! Reflections on Investment Illusions, Capitalism, "Mutual" Funds, Indexing, Entrepreneurship, Idealism, and Heroes (2010)
• Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation (2012)

Those planning to attend have a reading assignment: Please read at least one of Jack's books and come to the meeting with a question for Jack, either about what you read or perhaps a general investing related question.

3. Meeting adjourns at approximately 1:15 PM ... give or take depending on how our Q&A with Jack goes

Just FYI, after most of the previous meetings I posted a short summary... in case these are of interest, please check towards the end of these topics: Also FYI I set up a Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter forum topic that you may wish to subscribe to... I'll try to remember to post a reminder of future RTP Bogleheads meetings to that topic.

Finally for those local 'heads not already on the list, I set up a Yahoo "rtpbogleheads" email list for our local chapter. Please consider joining the list to help our chapter communications (see below for joining details). From the group's description:
Welcome to the yahoo group of the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina Area Bogleheads Chapter. The Bogleheads are an investing and personal finance interest group inspired by the example of Jack Bogle, the founder of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

This list is primarily to foster easy communications among our local chapter members, in particular regarding reminders and logistics on upcoming meetings which we hope to hold approximately quarterly. All are encouraged to continue use the national forum (bogleheads.org) for most postings.

Please stick to the spirit of the national chapter's forum policies and etiquette: basically, keep to investing topics and stay away from politics. Further details on posting etiquette can be found here: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

Initially this list will be configured to allow through all member postings in an un-moderated fashion, though adjustments may be made later as deemed appropriate by the list manager.

If you're interested to know of other local Boglehead chapters, please see the Google Map maintained by Mel Lindauer at http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Thank you!

Steve Thorpe
RTP Area Bogleheads Chapter Organizer
rtpbogleheads Yahoo Group Addresses are:

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads-owner@yahoogroups.com
Group home page:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about yahoo group logistics.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Steve Thorpe on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Thorpe

carolc

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting Noon Friday January 16, 2015

Post by carolc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Wow! I wish I still lived in Chapel Hill. I'd be joining you.

carolc

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Yippee! You did it Steve! There there there!

Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks Tarheel ... I hope you can make it!
Steve Thorpe

Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 am

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

I updated the initial post to include the location for our Jan 16 meeting... see above.

Thanks and I hope to see you at noon next Friday!

Steve
Steve Thorpe

DaveNC

Post by DaveNC » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 pm

I just wanted to say "Thanks!" to Steve for setting this up. I attended this meeting and really enjoyed the discussion with Mr. Bogle and meeting some of the RTP Bogleheads for lunch afterwards.

I'm looking forward to the next one. :D

-Dave

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 pm

I too wish I was back living in Chapel Hill (Go Duke!) and I would definitely be part of this group. It has been a long 19 years away from there. :(
Tom D.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

:oops:

I am absolutely sick to my stomach that I missed this. Haven't been logging on much lately. Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work, Steve.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello woof and all:

The meeting was great and I'm working to convert the captured WebEx recording to a format suitable for uploading to Youtube..... assuming I can work out those mechanics I will definitely let y'all know the link. Stay tuned!
Steve Thorpe

woof755

Post by woof755 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Did anyone ask him if he ever thought he would be awarded a Nobel in economics?

Inquiring minds!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:10 pm

8-)

I would surely vote for that if I could!
Steve Thorpe

woof755

Post by woof755 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm completely serious! The index fund is such a great contribution to investing.

Someone pointed out that Vin Scully has been alive longer than bread slicers have been available. So, sliced bread is the best thing since Vin Scully. That's how I feel about Mr. Bogle. Investing is the greatest thing since Jack!

Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Hello Boglehead friends,

I'm happy to report the recording from the January 16, 2015 WebEx meeting with Jack Bogle has been converted and posted on Youtube. This is best viewed in full-screen mode, since unfortunately the video part is in the upper-right of the recording. Please click
here to check out this enjoyable conversation between Mr. Bogle, Duke University and the Durham, NC community.

Mr. Bogle discussed his "Path to Industry Leadership":
1. Strategy follows structure!
2. Always focus on the clients
3. Don't forget the Vanguard Crew
4. Offer funds with high "relative predictability" to their peers
5. Market share is a measure, not an objective

Next he opened it up to Q&A from the audience.

Special thanks to Jack Bogle, Mike Nolan, Kimberly Brown and Professor Ed Tower for making this event possible!

Steve
Steve Thorpe